Favorite Video Game Quotes

twilit

This is a thread for sharing your favorite video game quotes, not just in Fire Emblem, but any series you want to share from.

Here's some of my favorites (edited to add a few more):

”Humans are shameless creatures that carelessly ignore any misfortune which does not befall them directly. They can—and often do—turn a blind eye to all manner of wickedness so long as it does not touch them or their kin. They will bow their heads, condemning those victims for bringing calamity upon themselves, and then they will cast their eyes toward heaven in thanks while their neighbors lay dying around them.” - Soren, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

"Remember! There is but one truth: Love is eternal." - Olivier Lenheim, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

"Anything can change!" - Chrom, Fire Emblem: Awakening

"I am a prince before I am a son or brother." - Marth, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

"A sword wields no strength unless the hands that holds it has courage." The Hero’s Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

"Pick a god and pray!" - Frederick, Fire Emblem: Awakening

"Courage need not be remembered, for it is never forgotten." - Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

"I want to keep on smiling." - Dolce, Rune Factory 4

"True beauty is love. Beauty only exists because people are brave enough to love. And without love, without the bonds of affection and camaraderie that bind us together…beauty is naught but a hollow illusion! The prideful and the humble…both shine as a diamond in love!" - Olivier Lenheim, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Edited by twilitfalchion

"So you're a stinkin' murderer. A sinner, huh? Great! Like I give a damn! It ain't my job to choose who lives and who dies! I ain't no god! If it's in my power to help a body, I'll be damned if that ain't what I'm gonna do! That's why I became an apothecary! That's what I believe in!"- Alfyn, Octopath Traveler

"For life is a journey. The places you go... the deeds you do... the tales whose hero you become... Every road is yours to take. So journey forth, friend, into this great world we live in... and find an adventure all your own."- Ending Epitaph, Octopath Traveler

"What, you want me to weep and deliver a eulogy? What good would that do? They all desired oblivion, and now they've achieved it. Least I can do is send them off with a smile."- Malos, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

"I've finally realised something. Power won't betray me. Power won't deceive me. Blood ties? Years of life lived together? All meaningless. The only thing in the world a man can rely on is his own strength!"- Berkut, Shadows of Valentia

“Yet we have the strength to scale the walls between us, to reach out our hands in friendship so we can open our true hearts to one another. That's how we win!”
- Claude, Fire Emblem Three Houses

"I chose a world populated by a people who can do anything they can imagine, but who CHOOSE to do good."
- Chronarchivist, Legacy of Heroes

"Good fortune to you and yours, fair friend. May the sun ever shine on your back, and all roads remain open to you."
- Bastian, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

1) "I never quite realized... how beautiful this world is."

2) "A future is not given to you. It is something you must take for yourself."

3) "Thank you. Thank you for playing."

- Various characters, NieR:Automata

"You had Randy bro and the others... That didn't seem just your own strength."

"...That is exactly... what I've obtained..."

- Shirley and Rixia, The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure

Edited by Yexin

"Know your place!" and "Will you survive?" - The Black Knight - Fire Emblem Heroes.
The delivery of those lines is so damn cool and they REALLY feel great to hear in a tough situation he turns in your favour.

"If something's good, it's good. Denying something's obvious worth out of petty spite is foolish." -  Lethe - Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
You really can't argue with her point.

"It's been nearly a year since we last met. Where does the time go?" - Dante - Devil May Cry 3
Here because I just use it for a particular friend every time I see him because it takes about a year for each interaction between us in person to occur.

"I know every world has its end. I know that's kinda sad... but that's why we have to live life to the fullest in the time that we have. At least... that's what I figure." - Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic and the Black Knight

One of my favourite is this conversation between Kain and Raziel, from Soul Reaver (what a masterpiece of a game!):
"[...]
Kain: "The abyss has been unkind."
Raziel: "I'm your creation, Kain, now, as before. [...]"
Kain: "What I have made, I can also destroy, child."
Raziel: "Damn you, Kain! You are not God! [...]"
[...]"

I also like quite a few of the operator's quotes from Rainbow Six Siege, including, but not limited to:
"Acceptance of mediocrity is the first step toward failure." - Kali (possibly one my favourite quotes, ever, as I find it especially true)
"A person is never more honest than when they think they're alone." - Goyo
"The only thing I feel when I pull the trigger is recoil." - Nøkk
"It isn't about where you end up, it's about how you make it home." - Zofia
"Make no excuse for who you are. Only the weak-minded will demand you make yourself smaller." - Lesion

I'm really a fan of quotes, especially when they are short (one sentence, or two), gets the point across, and leaves an impression on the character saying it instantly.

"BEEEEEEEEEEP. I AM ERROR. PRESS ANY KEY TO RESTART. ....SYSTEM NOT FOUND. INSERT INSTALL DISC. DISC NOT FOUND. PLEASE CONFIRM DISC COVER IS CLOSED. READ ERROR. INSERT BOOT DISC AND PRESS ENTER. NO RESPONSE. SYSTEM MAY BE BUSY OR MELTING INTO SLAG. APPLICATION ERROR. SAVE YOUR WORK AND QUIT. YOU LOST EVERYTHING. WAY TO GO, GENIUS. WAITING FOR PROCESSORS. '404 computer hamsters not found.' THREAT LEVEL UPGRADED TO JELLY ROLL 1. DETONATION IMMINENT.
C:/   run query identification
C:/   run insult generator
C:/   go away yeti-lip" ~ Fracktail- Super Paper Mario.

"I am The Roger The Paladin" ~ The Roger The Paladin - Tear Ring Saga.

"Your lives that I spit on are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid." ~ Fawful - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

(I mean did you expect my favorite quotes to be insightful or ridiculous given how I work?)

So, i've got a question for ya.

Do you think even the worst person can change. . . ?

That everybody can be a good person, if they just try?

-sans, Undertale Genocide Route

Joshua: Oh, yeah... See, you can have all the skill in the world and still have a bad day. It doesn't take much for the most fortunate man around to have a fall. A royal family at the height of their power gets betrayed, and that's the end. It's life really, innit?

Gerik: Hmm... You've got a point there. But you know, Joshua, you don't want to use luck as an excuse. Don't blame luck if you lose a fight. Blame yourself, but not luck. Renais didn't fall because of bad fortune. It was malice that did it. You're right—there's good luck and bad, but it's no excuse for failure.

-Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, Joshua and Gerik B support

Here are some of my favorites. Some I found particularly funny, and some that cemented the character saying it as one of my eternal favorites.

Quotes that created favorites:

"If you can forget about something just 'cause someone says to, you must not have cared that much to begin with." ~ Meruru, Atelier Meruru
"But the moment you question whether you have emotions is the very moment you prove that you do. Am I wrong?" ~ Hinako Shirai, Blue Reflection
"Yes, because that's just who I am. That, and it brings me joy to be an important part of someone's life." ~ Tamamo-no-Mae, Fate/Extra
"We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and when we're at our lowest points, all we need is a friend to help us be strong again." ~ Neptune, Megadimension Neptunia VII
"Catch a rat, kill a rat. Catch a god, kill a god. The sword does not discriminate." ~ Nitroplus, Megadimension Neptunia VII
"If you want to sacrifice yourself, go ahead. If you want to stop the fighting, feel free. But if you care so much, then do it yourself and don't drag anyone else into it!" ~ Arnice, Nights of Azure

Quotes I found fun(ny):

"Remember, our job is to make the player laugh!" ~ Fang, Fairy Fencer f: Advent Dark Force
"Or maybe walking stereotypes are just common everywhere." ~ Tiara, Fairy Fencer f: Advent Dark Force
"Most monsters don't amuse me much, either. But a walking apocalpyse - that gets my attention!" ~ Gilgamesh, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
"Rin goes from comatose to b**** in three seconds flat." ~ Hakuno Kishinami, Fate/Extra
"Yeah right. I only WISH I was lucky enough to be done in by fluffy-wuffy kitties of doom... *meow*" ~ Hakuno Kishinami, Fate/Extra
"Law? Like I give a crap! I'm the CPU of this nation and that means I AM the law! Whatever I do is the freakin' law! Even if I beat you to a bloody, dead pulp, as long as it's cool in my book, that's all that matters, right? HUH?! ANSWER ME!" ~ Uzume Tennouboshi, Megadimension Neptunia VII
"So they're cheaters... and they turned into... a cheetah. Are they seriously doing this for the sake of a pun? C'mon." ~ Uni, Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online
"If I get ambushed by old ladies in the shopping district, they'll try to help by bombarding me with questions!" ~ Lilysse, Nights of Azure
"'Keep your feet on dry land,' that's what I always say! There's never a good reason to travel by sea! Never!" ~ Arnice, Nights of Azure

"How dare you... Even forgetting... Who raised you! You... Stupid disciple!" - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (name omitted because of spoilers)

Not exactly the deepest line out there, but the attack it comes with is so badass that I love it. That boss fight overall is just amazing.

"I want her to see again. I want her to see a beautiful world... But I can't be a part of that. I don't want to let that innocent girl know how ugly this world can be..." - Berwick Saga (same as above)

I had difficulties picking one line from that scene. I rarely get goosebumps when watching a story. This was one of those times.

"Less whining, more god-slaying! You can cry later!" - Eugen, TearRing Saga.

I love this guy.

"So I took the only option left to me. I rejected king and country... And chose a new family instead!" - Johannes, Rogue Legacy.

For a mostly gameplay-focused, low-budget indie game, this game's story was surprisingly great.

15 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

"Pick a god and pray!" - Frederick, Fire Emblem: Awakening

THIS, YES. lol Actually, a lot of things that come out of Frederick's mouth are gold imo. One of the many reasons I love him. ❤️

But also these!

"Gatrie, I swear you'd hit on a tree if I dressed it in a skirt! Tell me I'm wrong!" - Shinon, FE Radiant Dawn

"Did you use one of my pickup lines? Those are dangerous in the wrong hands!" - Sylvain, FE Three Houses

"Shinon wouldn't tell me that he smelled smoke if I was on fire." - Ike, FE Radiant Dawn

"What am I supposed to do now, put on a funny hat or something?" - Ike, FE Path of Radiance

"If you run into trouble, you can just use that death stare of yours!" - Huey, Paper Mario: Color Splash (I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate to the actual in-game quote, but you get the idea.)

"What is it that starts war? Perhaps it is a fear of different cultures or other ways of thinking." - Dancer Elincia, FE Heroes (again, not sure if this is accurate to the actual quote. I can edit later if need be.)

"I'm really feeling it!" - Zeke (Yes, not Shulk, because I think it's funnier that Zeke references the original Shulk line lol), Xenoblade Chronicles 2

"THE ZEKENATOR FALLS!" - Zeke, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, shoot! How could I forget this one?

"A knight isn't a puppet that blindly follows orders. That is not loyalty. To fight for a cause I believe in, under a liege I believe in. That is what it means to be a knight." - Arran, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"A knight isn't a puppet that blindly follows orders. That is not loyalty. To fight for a cause I believe in, under a liege I believe in. That is what it means to be a knight." - Arran, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Man you just love this guy.

"Humans are shameless creatures that carelessly ignore any misfortune which does not befall them directly. They can--and often do--turn a blind eye to all manner of wickedness so long as it does not touch them or their kin. They will bow their heads, condemning those victims for bringing calamity upon themselves, and then they will cast their eyes toward heaven in thanks while their neighbors lay dying around them."

Soren in Path of Radiance. Holy crap, has this line aged well.

"I am a prince before I am a son or a brother."

Good old Marth in Shadow Dragon DS. Has aged well too, but can't say I expected it to. Yes, even without Awakening and Fates shitting all over it.

It should go without saying that those with power and authority have responsibility towards those under them. And yet so many people these days make no secret of their conviction that power is something to be taken advantage of and that true suppression is that their fellow men expect them to act in a moral fashion.
It's remarkably stupid in it's conviction that the moment morals, ethics, social norms and any sort of restraint disappear, these assholes, of all the billions of people on this planet, will find themselves at the top of the pecking order.

"Oops. Maybe I went too far with the goat thing..."

Hilda from Vestaria Saga

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

"Oops. Maybe I went too far with the goat thing..."

Hilda from Vestaria Saga

For anyone who is curious, here's "the goat thing":

1migebm5 o

Honestly, any of these could work for this thread.

"O brilliant blade of coldest steel, rend the infinite darkness and crush my enemies to nothing! Savage Wolf Fury!" 

Yuri- Tales of Vesperia. I've always liked this quote, it just flows so well to me.

*insert entire Kid Icarus Uprising script*

But on a somewhat more serious note. 

"Everything ends eventually. Even if history is not changed... Even if the world of darkness continues in its current state... Eventually the day will come when I won't be here anymore. Since that's the case, the timing of it doesn't matter. The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life.

While I live, I want to shine. I want to prove that I exist. If I could do something really important... That would definitely carry on into the future. No... Not just into the future. In <Hero>'s and <Partner>'s future too... My spirit has become part of them, I believe. In them, my spirit is alive. And that spirit could be passed along to others. And so, if I were to disappear...I think all that I have accomplished will go on. That is... That would mean...that it's living, right?"

-Grovyle; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. 

10 hours ago, Pengaius said:

*insert entire Kid Icarus Uprising script*

A man of culture I see. It'd be nice to see it get a remake/remaster on Switch, honestly.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:34 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

A knight isn't a puppet that blindly follows orders. That is not loyalty. To fight for a cause I believe in, under a liege I believe in. That is what it means to be a knight." - Arran, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

I remember that quote. Very nice pick.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:07 AM, DragonFlames said:

We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and when we're at our lowest points, all we need is a friend to help us be strong again." ~ Neptune, Megadimension Neptunia VII

I love this. Very heartwarming.

I always hate that I can't give proper credit to even a fraction of them in those. I'll go with what comes to mind.

"When couples spend many cold days together, their families will grow. Food will not last as long, so be careful!"
- Random bookshelf in a random house, Shining Force III

"Die like your father, you pinheaded son of an icecream maker!"
- Geese Howard, Fatal Fury Special

"Mm. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go set my own city on fire."
- Selvan, Radiant Historia

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero...  I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate... if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"
- Zero, Megaman Zero 4

"But, I have to go... I don't have a choice. And every time I hear the word "impossible", it just makes me want to prove everyone wrong."
-Vyse, Skies of Arcadia

Persona 5 Royal spoilers:

Spoiler

“I will carve my own path for myself...

I refuse to accept a reality concocted by someone else, stuck under their control for the rest of my days...” -Goro Akechi

I'm just a gnome! - Gnome from Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim

I'm Kool Kat Bad! - Boupha  from Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese

I am undone! You are far too clever for a poor Spathi like me, and now I must submit to your superior alien intellect. - Fwwifo from Star Control 2

That doesn't matter! You should believe us even when we lie! Or else we'll think you don't TRUST us! - Vux Rebel in Star Control 3

This proves it! I knew she was weak! - Chaotic Female Voice 1 - Wizardry 8

Time to Wander Around... Aimlessly - Haystack in Conker's Bad Fur Day

Yes, we have no more bannnanas! - Vanilla Beans in Steambot Chronicles

If it's funny I remember - Might add some Banjo, Paper Mario, and Custom Robo tuff later.

*gestures towards the entirety of Darkest Dungeon* I mean.....

My favourite one would be "Many fall in the face of chaos; but not this one. Not today."
Honourable mentions: "Wherefore, heroism?" - "A trifling victory. But a victory nonetheless." - "Great is the weapon that cuts on its own." - "Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue." - "Death cannot be escaped! - but it can be postponed..."

And, of course, the classic: "Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

On 8/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, BrightBow said:

"I am a prince before I am a son or a brother."

Good old Marth in Shadow Dragon DS. Has aged well too, but can't say I expected it to. Yes, even without Awakening and Fates shitting all over it.

It should go without saying that those with power and authority have responsibility towards those under them. And yet so many people these days make no secret of their conviction that power is something to be taken advantage of and that true suppression is that their fellow men expect them to act in a moral fashion.
It's remarkably stupid in it's conviction that the moment morals, ethics, social norms and any sort of restraint disappear, these assholes, of all the billions of people on this planet, will find themselves at the top of the pecking order.

Easily my favourite line of the entire FE series. Shadow Dragon's writing  goes against FE conventions with its heavily undercharacterized cast, but it's still very good at what it does, I find.