I’m sure I’m not the first person to discuss this, but I really did enjoy the story up until the end of part 3.

Spoilers obviously.

Okay, so RD is legit my second FE game, only to PoR, and the main reason I chose RD next (outside of it being a sequel) was that I truly enjoyed the story and lore and character building in PoR and was really looking forward to see how everything rounds it in RD. I was able to turn a blind eye to the lack of base support conversations, but this whole nonsense that happens in part 3 actually blows my mind and made me stop playing just to say this.

I’m currently at 3-13, and just recently came across the whole blood pact part of the story, and I have to say that as a whole this entire section of the story is just bonkers and is a huge blow to the rest of the story. It’s not so much that the blood pact itself is a bad thing, as I don’t know how the rest of the story pans out, it’s everything leading up to the blood pact reveal and how poorly Micaiah was written in part 3, as up until this point I actually really liked het as a character.

- First thing I want to say, or know, is why does Micaiah’s powers only work when convenient for her? Like she can see all this other shit, but couldn’t see her stupid ass King signing his and his country’s life away? Like what?

- On the topic of Pelleas, what does anyone in Daien, especially Micaiah see in him? He lacks any type of leadership quality, and has done or shown nothing to prove he is deserving of ruling a country, or deserving of Micaiah’s blind loyalty. Not only does he have incredibly poor taste in advisors, namely.. Izuka, who Pelleas still kept around after finding out how sick and twisted he was (when he poisoned Muarim, and learning of the shit he did in PoR), but there wasn’t even any proof whatsoever that he even was related to Ashnard. And even if there was proof, which I don’t remember there being any, why would anybody in Daein want a descendant of Ashnard on the throne knowing how that ended up? If Micaiah cares so much about her country, and had the backing of all the people, why didn’t she just take over? Besides that, all Pelleas has ever shown was how useless of a person he is, so I really have no idea why Micaiah was so against the fact of him wanting to off himself (especially since it was suppose to save her beloved country), if I were her.. I wouldn’t be able to contain my excitement (I personally chose to off him without any second thought in how it alters the game), let alone practically refuse to do it (does she or does she not care about her country.. I don’t get it?). But unfortunately for us, great King Pelleas couldn’t even do one thing correct, and properly research/read a book. 

- Now what I really don’t get is how poorly written Micaiah is as a character in part 3. I did not take her as dumb, I took her as loyal, yet also smart enough to know right from wrong. The fact that she so willingly agreed to helping Pelleas before even learning of the blood pact, by siding with a country that she literally just got done fighting, so that she can fight in a pointless war that has literally nothing to do with her country makes absolutely zero sense. There is being loyal, and then there is being dumb; siding with a country that you literally just fought to free yourself from because your braindead King told you so is being dumb, especially knowing what Begnion is capable of, it should be more than obvious they are only using you as a pawn, while in turn you make tons of other enemies. 

I don’t know, I feel like I have a lot more to say, but I think I’m just going to end up going in circles. My main issue is honestly, Pelleas, and not understanding what Micaiah, or anyone for that matter, sees in him, along with not being a fan of how blindly loyal Micaiah is for Pelleas when he has done nothing to show he has good leadership qualities. Maybe I missed some dialogue somewhere that shows some character development for Pelleas, but even then I’m still not happy how the story turned out and it just all feels incredibly lazy. It just feels like the developers really dropped the ball with Micaiah’s character, and they had so much potential for a great story, and making these characters memorable. I’m gonna hold out hope, as I still have 2 more chapters in part 3, along with the entirety of part 4, but I’m not going to hold my breath. All in all, I still greatly enjoy the game up until this point, and am actually looking forward to replaying it on hard as I really do enjoy the gameplay, just the story and characters feel very poorly written coming from PoR. 

3 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- First thing I want to say, or know, is why does Micaiah’s powers only work when convenient for her? Like she can see all this other shit, but couldn’t see her stupid ass King signing his and his country’s life away? Like what?

Why would she see this specifically? Nothing really happens at that specific event. No one dies, no one gets hurt. Even if she saw it she probably wouldn't see any significance in it.

Also, doesn't sound like her powers are very "convenient for her" if she didn't see such an impactful event.

- On the topic of Pelleas, what does anyone in Daien, especially Micaiah see in him? He lacks any type of leadership quality, and has done or shown nothing to prove he is deserving of ruling a country, or deserving of Micaiah’s blind loyalty. Not only does he have incredibly poor taste in advisors, namely.. Izuka, who Pelleas still kept around after finding out how sick and twisted he was (when he poisoned Muarim, and learning of the shit he did in PoR)

These problems are made quite clear in the story itself, and are relevant. Some of the details are revealed later, but Daein needed a leader for the people to rally behind and Pelleas, the son of the previous king, was the best option. He trusts Izuka because Izuka raised him, and multiple characters (especially Tormod) are quite vocal about their distaste of him, so it's not as though there isn't turmoil there. As for Micaiah, she's a trusting person and she sees that Pelleas means well. She believes he'll grow into a good king and that he is what Daein needs the most.

but there wasn’t even any proof whatsoever that he even was related to Ashnard.

Almedha, Ashnard's wife (consort? concubine? don't quite remember tbh), is certain that Pelleas is her son, and therefore Ashnard's son. That's going to be enough for an oppressed country in need of a ruler. He also has a brand that works as further evidence for the immediate party.

And even if there was proof, which I don’t remember there being any, why would anybody in Daein want a descendant of Ashnard on the throne knowing how that ended up?

The people of Daein don't see Ashnard and the war the same way the rest of Tellius does. For example, in 1-4:

Micaiah:
“Sothe, sometimes, every other thing you say is like an ode to Ike. I know you fought beside him. I know you owe him your life. And I know you want to be just like him… But to the people of Daein, he’s the man who crushed us three years ago. Some would even call him our archenemy. If we hadn’t lost the war to that man, Daein wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. You know that.”

We're presented, in PoR, with the "just" side, but the people of Daein wouldn't necessarily see it that way, especially since they still seem to be pretty prejudiced against Laguz.

Besides that, all Pelleas has ever shown was how useless of a person he is, so I really have no idea why Micaiah was so against the fact of him wanting to off himself

You don't know why the good-natured Micaiah was against seeing someone close to her who she cares about die?

But unfortunately for us, great King Pelleas couldn’t even do one thing correct, and properly research/read a book. 

Or the book just didn't have all the correct information on an ancient piece of magic that most of the continent has never heard of.

The fact that she so willingly agreed to helping Pelleas before even learning of the blood pact, by siding with a country that she literally just got done fighting, so that she can fight in a pointless war that has literally nothing to do with her country makes absolutely zero sense.

Micaiah: ...I don't want to fight.

Sothe: Then why ar--

Micaiah: What choice do I have?! I'm the general of this army. It doesn't
    matter how I feel. Besides, I can't let the king or the soldiers down. My
    duty ultimately lies with them... I'm sorry.

Fight a fight you feel is wrong or abandon your country? Have you ever been faced with a similar situation? Has any FE lord ever been faced with a similar situation? Actually try putting yourself in her shoes before deciding it would be easy to just walk away. She fought to free their country from oppression, put a man she trusts on the throne, became the leading figure of the army, and now that king is putting his faith in her. And just because she doesn't immediately understand why he's sending them out she's supposed to change course and possibly ruin everything?

it should be more than obvious they are only using you as a pawn, while in turn you make tons of other enemies. 

And even if you know that - which you do after the reveal of the Blood Pact - what other choice do you have?

Edited by Florete

While I'm also not a great fan of Micaiah's actions and the way the plot is written, they are very much defend-able. You know Micaiah is branded, and we know this allows her to see where someone's heart lies. She senses nothing but goodness in Pelleas' heart, that's why she trusts him. She also grew up in the streets of Daein, the country where pretty much everyone is a racist. And since it's also explained most laguz will deny a branded's existence, completely ignoring them, I believe Micaiah must understand that hatred very much (even if she won't give in to racism herself).

Next part is a minor spoiler:

Spoiler

Also note that Micaiah is a heron branded. Herons lose a lot of their power when there is chaos, which is exactly what we see happen for Micaiah in part 3. As I believe Soren says, Daein's army takes a lot of their strength from their faith in Micaiah. If she were to show any weakness at this point, it would be sure to obliterate their morale. Micaiah cares about her country, she would never let it go down without trying everything in her power to stop it.

About the killing Pelleas part, if someone would tell you you could end world hunger by killing a close friend, would you? I hope your answer is no because there is no proof it will work (spoiler: it won't). I also don't blame Pelleas because of how desperate for a solution he is.

Either way, yes, the blood contract is not Fire Emblem's finest piece of writing, but honestly I don't feel it's as bad as most people seem to think. I'd say play the rest of the game before giving your final verdict on how much this ruined the story for you.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Why would she see this specifically? Nothing really happens at that specific event. No one dies, no one gets hurt. Even if she saw it she probably wouldn't see any significance in it.

Also, doesn't sound like her powers are very "convenient for her" if she didn't see such an impactful event.

These problems are made quite clear in the story itself, and are relevant. Some of the details are revealed later, but Daein needed a leader for the people to rally behind and Pelleas, the son of the previous king, was the best option. He trusts Izuka because Izuka raised him, and multiple characters (especially Tormod) are quite vocal about their distaste of him, so it's not as though there isn't turmoil there. As for Micaiah, she's a trusting person and she sees that Pelleas means well. She believes he'll grow into a good king and that he is what Daein needs the most.

Almedha, Ashnard's wife (consort? concubine? don't quite remember tbh), is certain that Pelleas is her son, and therefore Ashnard's son. That's going to be enough for an oppressed country in need of a ruler. He also has a brand that works as further evidence for the immediate party.

The people of Daein don't see Ashnard and the war the same way the rest of Tellius does. For example, in 1-4:

Micaiah:
“Sothe, sometimes, every other thing you say is like an ode to Ike. I know you fought beside him. I know you owe him your life. And I know you want to be just like him… But to the people of Daein, he’s the man who crushed us three years ago. Some would even call him our archenemy. If we hadn’t lost the war to that man, Daein wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. You know that.”

We're presented, in PoR, with the "just" side, but the people of Daein wouldn't necessarily see it that way, especially since they still seem to be pretty prejudiced against Laguz.

You don't know why the good-natured Micaiah was against seeing someone close to her who she cares about die?

Or the book just didn't have all the correct information on an ancient piece of magic that most of the continent has never heard of.

Micaiah: ...I don't want to fight.

Sothe: Then why ar--

Micaiah: What choice do I have?! I'm the general of this army. It doesn't
    matter how I feel. Besides, I can't let the king or the soldiers down. My
    duty ultimately lies with them... I'm sorry.

Fight a fight you feel is wrong or abandon your country? Have you ever been faced with a similar situation? Has any FE lord ever been faced with a similar situation? Actually try putting yourself in her shoes before deciding it would be easy to just walk away. She fought to free their country from oppression, put a man she trusts on the throne, became the leading figure of the army, and now that king is putting his faith in her. And just because she doesn't immediately understand why he's sending them out she's supposed to change course and possibly ruin everything?

And even if you know that - which you do after the reveal of the Blood Pact - what other choice do you have?

When writing this, I did account for most of things you said, especially in regards to Micaiah being very torn. 

I really was trying my hardest not to hate on some of the story and writing in Part 3, but it’s just so many things throw me for a loop, and most of my issues really boil down to Pelleas, as I honestly see no reason why anyone would be loyal to him. My problem is I’m looking at the story from my perspective, when I should be looking at it from Micaiah’s, so I do see how having to kill Pelleas would be devastating for her. Besides that, I also don’t get why Micaiah can tell Kurth, Rafiel, Nailah, Ena, and so on about the blood pact, but she can’t tell Ike/Sanaki, and try to figure something out between the lot of them (I understand the Senators can initiate it at anytime, but what difference does it make to tell the aforementioned people, or telling Ike/Sanaki?). I left off at Part 3.E, so I’m going to assume there is a reason, but than Kurth deciding to fight for Micaiah, along with Rafiel, and Nailah just seems a bit over the top, especially Rafiel (as he knows damn well what more fighting can lead to in regards the medallion, and that’s not to mentioned he’s willing to fight directly against his family). In regards to the blood pact itself.. I’m fine with it, I just feel like the developers could’ve crafted it into the story in a much better manner, which could’ve been possible if they gave the dawn brigade a few more chapters to work with in part 3, and gave us more insight into the DB, Pelleas, the Senators, and Daein as whole. 

All in all, I still like the story, and I still really like Micaiah as a character, and I’m glad you commented and gave me another way to look at it. I’m still not done with the game, I left off at part 3 endgame, so I’m really interested to see where things go from here, and I’m really excited to finish my first run and start a HM play-through as I can’t get enough of the gameplay. You gave me a bunch of helpful advice on a different thread, so just want to say thanks again, it’s awesome there’s still so many people interested in this gem of a game. 

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

8 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- On the topic of Pelleas, what does anyone in Daien, especially Micaiah see in him? He lacks any type of leadership quality, and has done or shown nothing to prove he is deserving of ruling a country, or deserving of Micaiah’s blind loyalty.

But that's the thing. Aside from Micaiah and his unstable mother no one sees anything in Pelleas. He's a symbol and the true heir by virtue of being Ashnard's son but no one really has any regard for him as a leader. Izuka even has to spell it out for Michy that the whole army is devoted to her and not to Pelleas, and that her eclipsing him in every single way is dangerous. Later when Pelleas tries to address his troops they indeed don't seem to have any regard for him until the Black Knight demands that they do. 

As for why Micaiah would be so devoted to him. Well she is a very nice girl and despite his many flaws Pelleas is a good person. Its not odd that she'd try to help him when he's struggling which is basically every single moment of his reign.  

2 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

All in all, I still like the story, and I still really like Micaiah as a character, and I’m glad you commented and gave me another way to look at it. I’m still not done with the game, I left off at part 3 endgame, so I’m really interested to see where things go from here, and I’m really excited to finish my first run and start a HM play-through as I can’t get enough of the gameplay. You gave me a bunch of helpful advice on a different thread, so just want to say thanks again, it’s awesome there’s still so many people interested in this gem of a game. 

Well, thanks for actually listening. For as simple as that seems, I find it's hard to come by these days.

Also, sorry if some of my responses were a bit brusque. I have a tendency to get pretty defensive when it comes to this game's story, which I've always found to be the best in the series. Not a lot of people share that opinion.

20 hours ago, Florete said:

Well, thanks for actually listening. For as simple as that seems, I find it's hard to come by these days.

Also, sorry if some of my responses were a bit brusque. I have a tendency to get pretty defensive when it comes to this game's story, which I've always found to be the best in the series. Not a lot of people share that opinion.

Hey.. it’s no problem! Your response didn’t come off as negative or anything like that, at least from my perspective. I knew damn well what I was getting into prior to making the topic, as I was well aware that if there is a message board dedicated to a 10+ year old game, there has to be some die hard fans willing to give me a rebuttal. 

Now that I am out of the spoiler zone, and am looking more into the story, I see that most people are torn on the story, and it’s either you love it or hate it, I haven’t seen to many in-betweens. And now that I’ve seen other peoples perspectives, including yours, it does indeed give me a different way to look at and approach the story.. and I think I can safely say that I’m not too upset on how part 3 was handled anymore. I still wish DB got more screen time in part 3 (and that’s coming from someone who greatly enjoys Ike’s and the GM’s), even if it was just another chapter or 2. I’m still working on rounding out the game, I’m currently at 4-2, and I have to say that I actually love the direction it went it, and it has me psyched to see what happens next! 

With that said, I can’t wait to finish the game and see how the PoR/RD story concludes, as I absolutely love the lore and all the characters in the series. I have so many other FE games I want to check out considering that I’m new to the series (any suggestions would be awesome btw! especially if it has good story and challenging gameplay to go along with it), but I’m so tempted to just re-run RD on hard, or go all the way back to PoR and run through both again. But yeah, thanks for offering another perspective, you’ve be incredibly helpful!