What would you keep from 2020?

Question's in the title, I just felt like asking what people think doesn't suck this year.

I'll start off with something dumb: The friendship that the internet's made with Doom Slayer and Isabelle. Stupid sure, but it's cute and I wouldn't mind actually seeing officially crossing over (pun not intended)

SYLVAIN IN HEROES. And showing off some sexy abs in a summer get-up at that! I'd been waiting months and months for Sylvain to be in the game at all and he got in in an awesome way. He's one of my favorite characters ever.

I'd also keep Paper Mario: The Origami King and the Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC. Such awesome stuff!

Oh, and the return of the Old Mill at Kennywood, my local amusement park. I'd waited 15 years for it to come back after it was slapped with a dumb Garfield theme and renamed Garfield's Nightmare in 2004. I like Garfield, but not in this attraction. He just does not fit there. It's a mill-themed dark ride that you go through in a boat. And thankfully, hardly anybody else around here disagreed. And on top of that, the Old Mill is not only the oldest operating attraction in the park, I think it's the oldest operating on the planet! It had gone through a few other name changes in its existence, but it was the Old Mill for the longest. Kennywood finally realized and listened to popular demand.

Now if that same demand could be done for the Turnpike now... That old friend's been gone for ten years. It was a vintage car ride.

EDIT: Well, a Google search says the Old Mill is the oldest operating dark ride and water ride in the world. Close enough.

Edited by Anacybele

Mostly getting into FE as well as the other games I've played. Joining forums as well has really made the whole quarantine/social distancing much easier, not that I socialized much before that.

Other than that it's been a pretty crappy year.

13 minutes ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

Experiences in D&D, and actually playing Katawa Shoujo. Among other things.

No matter how small these things may be in the grand scheme of things, these are big to us.

I too have played a really great game of D&D this year that actually started because of quarantine. I also got to spend a lot of time with my family and thankfully none of us have been dreadfully sick, so that's been nice.

Being couped up inside allowed me to get a project up off the ground that's been lingering in my head for over a year. Nothing terribly special, but in the process I learned about video editing, and it's nice to be able to say you picked up a new skill lately. In terms of video games, the only revelation was Bug Fables. Technically not a 2020 game, but I only learned of its existence a week before it arrived on Switch and I loved it.

This isn't the full list, but basically:

1. I finally completed Valkyria Chronicles 4 after almost two years after I purchased it (University and other games got in the way). 

2. I bought and completed Link's Awakening Remake for the Switch. That was a fantastic experience and it's easy to see why the original is such a classic. 

3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I bought it recently, and I'm not even close to finishing it yet, but this is my first time playing a Final Fantasy game and it's a great experience so far. The combat is the best tactical/action hybrid I've ever played (though Valkyria comes close), and the game manages to be very challenging, in that the player needs to fully learn and understand all of the different mechanics, without being too difficult. I would easily point to this game when illustrating the difference between what I consider challenge and what I consider difficulty. 

4. I watched a whole bunch of shows for the first time, including: Record of Grancrest War, Naruto, My Hero Academia, Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, and Black Clover. I enjoyed watching all of these shows for the first time. 

30 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

I'm (finally) getting my driver's license tomorrow, if that counts. 😏

Hey, congrats!

Anyways, Berwick Saga translation, and a weird one: The canadian rocky mountains weren't absurdly overly packed for once! I mean, they were still busy, but you could actually visit even big name places like Lake Louise without having to wade waist-deep in tourists! It was wonderful to be able to experience a moment of serenity for once, even if something as terrible as the pandemic caused it.

Edited by Benice

Say, if no one here has been to Kennywood before, I definitely recommend it if you're ever in the Pittsburgh area. It may not be a big park, but it is, as stated, America's Finest Traditional Amusement Park! It's been around for over 120 years. Of course, right now isn't exactly the greatest time to visit, but when things are a little more normal, it's definitely worth a visit or two.

The Steel Curtain won best coaster of 2019 and I even kinda want to ride it despite that I've never ridden something that goes upside down. XD

The Jack Rabbit is the only roller coaster in the world that has a double dip and celebrated it's 100th anniversary this year. 100 years! I think in seven years, the Racer will be 100 as well. The Racer is my favorite ride in the park, btw.

And there are several rides there that you won't find anywhere else or almost anywhere else. The Turtle and Kangaroo are literally the last of their kind. The Whip is generally found only in Pennsylvania. And Noah's Ark is one of only two of its kind left in the world, the other being in Britain. And I'm not sure if this one is really unique, but I've never seen any ride like the Bayern Kurve.

And of course, the main attraction is the Phantom's Revenge, whose second drop is actually bigger than the first!

The park holds events for Halloween and Christmas too. Happy Hauntings for the kids, Phantom Fright Nights for the older folks, and then Holiday Lights for Christmas. Kennywood is also one of only two amusement parks in the US to be named a designated historic landmark.

And if Kennywood isn't enough, Sandcastle water park is only a few minutes away and sister park Idle Wild & Soak Zone is less than an hour away!

Edited by Anacybele

Xenoblade Future connected and a release year for SMT V as well as the Nocturne remake.  Oh also my parents getting a new TV and letting me use the old one just for my gaming systems in my room instead of having to deal with annoying old men (my dad) who watch me me play and make really dumb comments because they don't know how to play and won't learn.  Other then that this has been a really crumby year, COVID hit where I live right when I was going to look for a job so all my plans for the year have gone out the window and I don't know when my life will get back on track.

Berwick Saga translation
Vestaria Saga localisation

Not being expected to shake people's hands.
I feel bad about this of course, but it is kinda nice that the way I naturally feel inclined to act is very much what's expected from me now. Currently I don't constantly have to fight my instincts in order to avoid standing out.

Edited by BrightBow

To be honest, if I could keep 2020 the way it is without, you know, all the deaths from COVID or that chipped tooth the other day (I know, totally on the same level right?)... I probably would. I've had a lot of good things happen this year... some based on luck, others based on decisions. But I couldn't get rid of any of it.

More flexibility in work arrangements and teleworking.

While I missed the chance to grab most of Taylor Swift's limited edition albums, we Swifties as whole did get an album this year despite the pandemic, so that is good.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:00 AM, BrightBow said:

Berwick Saga translation
Vestaria Saga localisation

Not being expected to shake people's hands.
I feel bad about this of course, but it is kinda nice that the way I naturally feel inclined to act is very much what's expected from me now. Currently I don't constantly have to fight my instincts in order to avoid standing out.

Samee, I want to play the gaidens damnit.