Most desirable IVs for the Big 3, Formas, and Grail units

MilodicMellodi

With the new Feh Channel that just came out, they gave us info on an update that they'll be implementing later: the ability to use Trait Fruits to change the "traits" (asset/flaw, or boon/bane or IVs as we've taken to calling them) of our units. And they made a show of doing this to Alfonse and mentioned that this will be available to Forma units as well, so it's more than fair to assume that Grail units (GHB and Tempest Trial gift units) will get access to this too.

I thought about letting this not be a topic of its own, but...well, this is kind of one of those topics that I think is important to us and would be asked more than often enough in the "ask questions" thread. I just feel like those questions would get lost there, so I made this its own topic. Hopefully we can have some discussions about this here 🙂

And I know that some people will just say "Why is this a topic, just choose Atk". Except Atk isn't the only stat, and different units deal with different matchups with different IVs very differently. Having some discussions about what IVs would fit better on certain units, instead of just going with "trust Gamepress because who cares", is something I hope is done here.

I'll try to include myself in the conversations occasionally, so other than that...have fun everyone!

NOTE: Before anyone says anything about how Formas are just everyday units...yes, I know. But they also get quick access to powerful skills and come to you neutral (and this can't be changed until the update comes). I feel Formas could at least have some discussions on whether it's worth changing their IVs, since they do come with a pricetag due to having to use Forma Souls to get them.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure having this chart here might help in some decisionmaking. source

yyaj0mv47wg51.png

EDIT: Adding supplemental info on which grail units can move up a BST bin for Arena scoring purposes if you give them one of their superboons. (source)

New Year Corrin: 151 BST; HP

Fallen Takumi: 151 BST; Def, Res

Gerome: 161 BST; Spd

Saias: 151 BST; HP

Julius: 151 BST; Spd

Canas: 151 BST; HP

Haar: 161 BST; Spd

Kempf: 161 BST; Def, Res

Travant: 166 BST; Spd, Def

Valentine Silque: 151 BST; Atk, Spd

Gangrel: 166 BST; Def, Res

Eremiya: 161 BST; Res

Edited by Humanoid

Ashnard was close to having his resistance increase by 5 with merges had his resistance been 1 point higher or his defense 1 point lower at level 1, but nope. That is to say, being neutral would have resulted in his HP, Atk, and Res increasing by 5 instead of HP, Atk, and Def.

+Res would make him a stronger mix tank, but considering Gurgurant inflicts Atk/Def-5, he would be fine without +Res or +Def and +Atk would help out with his damage output. Not that common of weapons I think, but +Res would allow him to escape Light Brand, Nile's Bow, and Shining Bow's deal 7 damage because his Def is >= Res+5 with his Gurgurant. With Gurgurant equipped and unmerged, Ashnard has 38 Def and 31 Res where 38 Def is >= 31 Res+5 (36), so they deal 7 damage to him. With +Res, he has 38 Def and 34 Res where 38 Def is not >= 34 Res+5 (39), so they will not deal 7 damage to him. Without his Gurgurant, defense refined weapon, or being +Def, he naturally escapes the range with his 35 Def and 31 Res. If he's neutral and merged, however, then he ends up with 40 Def and 35 Res, so the check succeeds and they deal 7 damage to him.

7 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

I guess Canas would've been too broken with a superboon in literally any other stat.

Pretty much every free unit's superboons and superbanes are effectively random. Superboons and superbanes weren't even intentional until recently, and even then, a big part of it is a result of the fact that the highest growth rate currently in use in the game (70%) results in a superboon due to how the rounding works.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Pretty much every free unit's superboons and superbanes are effectively random. Superboons and superbanes weren't even intentional until recently, and even then, a big part of it is a result of the fact that the highest growth rate currently in use in the game (70%) results in a superboon due to how the rounding works.

Out of curiosity, how would a +70% growth rate affect things?

34 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Out of curiosity, how would a +70% growth rate affect things?

Growth rates work like this:

• An Asset or Flaw increases or decreases the stat's base growth rate by 5 percentage points, respectively.
  • A 5-star unit has growth rates that are 1.14× the base growth rate, rounded down to the nearest percentage point.
  • The number of points a unit gains between level 1 and level 40 is equal to the actual growth rate multiplied by 39 levels, rounded down to the nearest point.

This means:

• A 5-star unit with a 70% base growth rate in a stat will have a 79% actual growth rate (70% × 1.14 = 79.8%), and a 5-star unit with a 75% base growth rate in a stat (70% with an Asset) will have an 85% actual growth rate (75% × 1.14 = 85.5%).
  • That stat will therefore gain 30 if neutral (79% × 39 = 30.81) and 33 if it has an Asset (85% × 39 = 33.15).

Combined with the fact that an Asset also gives 1 point to the value of the unit's stat at level 1, the result is that an Asset gives a stat with a 70% base growth rate a total of 4 points at level 40 instead of the more common 3 points, resulting in a "superboon".

In the exact reverse fashion, if a unit had a 75% growth rate in a stat, having a Flaw in that stat would result in 4 fewer points in that stat at level 40, resulting in a "superbane".

For 5-star units, the 4-point gaps for Assets and Flaws occur between 5-10%, 25-30%, 45-50%, 70-75%, and 90-95%.

Edited by Ice Dragon

First, thank you to @Humanoid for providing the spreadsheet for us. I didn't even think about providing a reference sheet to look at, so thank you very much for that.

Now for the discussions 🙂

I'm actually a little bit happy that Anna has an HP superbane. That puts her HP down to 37, putting her at an even 40 when using +Eff Noatun. She can use Ardent Sacrifice and get into Desperation range right away. And with her high Spd of 38 (which will likely be her boon of choice, going up to 41 if so) she'll be quite likely to trigger it. Of course, that won't matter once she gains dragonfeathers...but it's a nice thought.

Flame Emperor's looking pretty great no matter what though. HP, Spd, and Res superboons and no superbanes? I mean, the Spd one doesn't look great, but HP puts her to 61 and +Res is 37 (full merges/dragonflowers, and taking the dragonflower update in September into account). Looks like Flame Emperor's going to be doing well.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

5 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Flame Emperor's looking pretty busted though. HP, Spd, and Res superboons and no superbanes? I mean, the Spd one doesn't look great, but HP puts her to 61 and +Res is 37 (full merges/dragonflowers, and taking the dragonflower update in September into account). Looks like Flame Emperor's going to be doing well.

That's offset by the fact that Flame Emperor's level 40 stat total is 1 lower than other units with the same level 1 stat total and total growths (178 instead of 179-180). This is how the rounding errors that that cause superboons and superbanes end up balancing out.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I put this in my post at the top of this thread too, but these are the units where you can move up one BST bin if you choose one of their superboons.

source

• New Year Corrin: 151 BST; HP
  • Fallen Takumi: 151 BST; Def, Res
  • Gerome: 161 BST; Spd
  • Saias: 151 BST; HP
  • Julius: 151 BST; Spd
  • Canas: 151 BST; HP
  • Haar: 161 BST; Spd
  • Kempf: 161 BST; Def, Res
  • Travant: 166 BST; Spd, Def
  • Valentine Silque: 151 BST; Atk, Spd
  • Gangrel: 166 BST; Def, Res
  • Eremiya: 161 BST; Res

Hm hm hm... I see I see I see...

A lot of these units it's very easy to say what they want. Walhart, for instance, would probably like to take as little damage as possible, so +Def.

I find it funny that now that they can receive an asset and flaw, Masked Marth is literally now just Lucina but with a different pose.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

I find it funny that now that they can receive an asset and flaw, Masked Marth is literally now just Lucina but with a different pose.

Too bad they do not allow us to keep Flaws when merged. Player phase Desperation units really want low HP in Aether Raids to get into HP range easily, especially when stepping on a Bolt Trap.

I hope keeping Flaws and allowing to adjust merges, Flowers, and rarity downwards for further stat customization will come next year.

16 minutes ago, XRay said:

Too bad they do not allow us to keep Flaws when merged. Player phase Desperation units really want low HP in Aether Raids to get into HP range easily, especially when stepping on a Bolt Trap.

I hope keeping Flaws and allowing to adjust merges, Flowers, and rarity downwards for further stat customization will come next year.

Choosing multiple flaws would be neat too. +Atk and +Spd for -HP and -Def on Delthea. Behold! With a L&D3 seal, she will have 49/47 offenses, 0 Def, so RIP Black Luna and Luna Arc taking advantage of her defense, and she'd Panic at the slightest glance from Kagero or maybe Kagero's art.

Edited by Kaden

Very interesting.

Currently, my merged grail units are Black Knight, Naesala, Aversa, and Winter Jaffar. Jaffar has a Res superboon, so I'll probably go for that, but I'm not sure about the other three. Aversa has a bit of tension, since she cares about different stats when I'm using her as Aversa's Night support in AR vs as a blade tome nuke in Abyssal maps.

I also have some key AR units that could use touching up. Altina wants +Atk, Mila wants +Def, Bride Fjorm wants +HP, and Fallen Lyon wants... something that isn't +Spd/-Atk. So those 8 will probably be my main projects for now. Not sure how long it'll take to get through them, could be a while.

Edited by Othin

This is one of the best things introduced to the game. It will save me many orbs when trying to pull for optimal natures. The ones I have in my mind right now are. 

• Sothis +4 from +Res to +Spd -whatever 
  • L. Edelgard +1 from +Spd to +Atk -Def
  • Fallen Ike +1 from neutral to +Spd 
  • Flame Emperor +7 +Res -Hp
  • Brunnya +5 +Def
  • L.Chrom unmerged. +Res/+Atk -Hp
  • Mila unmerged from +Hp -Atk to +Def -Spd
  • Bramimond unmerged from +Atk -Hp/Spd 
  • FF Corrin +3 from +Atk to +Spd
  • Spring Iddun +1 from +Atk to +Def/Res
  • Ashnard +4 +Res -Hp 

These are lots of units however, they are pretty much my key units that need this boost. This feature will save me countless of orbs in the future. 

I, personally, have Clive, Naesala, Legion, and Walhart merged up, and am currently working on getting copies of Groom Hinata, so they're the ones I have the most investment in giving Assets to.

...I merged Legion long before he got a Prf, fun fact.

I'm personally thinking of giving my Lloyd a speed asset, though I'm also considering an attack boon as well. Regardless, he'll be the one I use the free 100 on.

My free 100 will probably go to Fallen Lyon, since his current nature is so bad. It'll also mean I'll finally feel able to start putting dragonflowers into him, I haven't wanted to since it seemed like he'd end up as SI fodder if I ever got another copy with a better trait.

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

I am wondering how this works for unmerged units (Askrtrio). Do you have to pic a bane then too? I mean you only get rid of the Bane by merging a unit to +1.

Yeah, the video showed an unmerged Fjorm picking both an asset and a flaw.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

My free 100 will probably go to Fallen Lyon, since his current nature is so bad. It'll also mean I'll finally feel able to start putting dragonflowers into him, I haven't wanted to since it seemed like he'd end up as SI fodder if I ever got another copy with a better trait.

Yeah, the video showed an unmerged Fjorm picking both an asset and a flaw.

hmmm, its a good thing that Anna has 3 superbanes no superboon and is unmergable!!!