Just purchased FE9, any hints on things that might be helpful?

-Two of your units will leave early on. While there is no way to prevent this, you can get them back later. One is rather straightforward, albeit requiring shoving, as the recruiter is liable to get killed come enemy phase (she's level 1). The other is anything but. Coincidentally, this recruitment ALSO involves a character that starts at level 1. And as the game doesn't hint at this whatsoever, I'll just spell it out for you: To get Shinon back, you must have him talk with Rolf, then defeat him with Ike (note that long-range mages are nearby, so make sure to deplete their long-range spells first).

-One of the game's better units requires sending one of two specific units to a specific square on the desert map in the middle of the game.

-Two maps will be fog of war.

Try to have fun with it. It's a game. It's okay to not be perfect at it.

Also there are Trial maps after you clear the story and you can get more characters on subsequent playthroughs, so if something goes wrong in one playthrough and you don't mind it, you can always use that as an incentive to play it again. Although the latest trial map characters require a kinda silly number of playthroughs.

Depending on the experience you’re looking for I’d have different advice. If you’re looking to play efficiently, you should make good use of Titania. You get her in the first real chapter, and she has amazing bases coupled with good growth rates. She’s sort of like a mini-Seth. Oscar, Boyd, Kieran, and Jill are some of the best units that you’ll want to focus on training because they all become very powerful in different ways but most importantly can all use axes post-promotion, which are the best weapon type. Mounted units are also really good in general because they get fe5 canto, but they’re not so broken that unmounted units become irrelevant.

On the other hand, if you’re just looking to play the game more casually, really just do whatever you want. The game is easy enough to beat with just about any team (I solo’d the last few chapter with Mia, the worst unit, in my first playthrough) and you get bonus exp to feed to any underleveled units you want to train.

To quote Link in the tutorial of The Faces of Evil:

It's easy!

Anyways, if you're not trying to play efficiently, you can basically use whoever you want and it'll be fine, as this game is probably even easier than Sacred Stones-However, there's a thing you can do after (I think) chapter 25 or 26, but if your Ike is very bad or the RNG is being mean, you should be prepared to run. Also, if Mist is alive, she can help Ike in the part after 25 or 26, but nobody else can.

Save the Wrath scroll for when you also have the Resolve scroll, as the two of them together makes for a nice combo.

If the Lord is looking extremely stat screwed near the late game, come back and ask for advice on the final boss. Due to plot armor most people just use the Lord, but if the RNG is making that impossible there are options, as long as you still have the resources. Usually this isn't a problem, but getting soft-locked due to bad luck is not a fun experience.

There's some incentive for going fast - not LTC-fast or even close to it, but most of the time, you'll get less bonus XP if you go above a certain turn threshold. You don't have to lose your mind about it though; it's usually just a couple lost BEXP per turn.

Cavs and flyers are really, really good; they obviously help clearing a chapter faster, can move after attacking, don't have any stat disadvantages compared to infantry units, and effective weapons aren't very dangerous.

Axes and lances good, sword and bows bad. The reason being that PoR is a game where you can do a lot of work during enemy phase, so having a 1-2 option is very valuable. Arguably even moreso than FE7 or 8.

You get a LOT of money over the course of the game. Use it to forge stuff - you can only do one forge per chapter, so try to do so continuously once you're getting the option.

Supports grow just by deploying characters in the same chapter, so you can get them without slowing down. Supports with the Earth-affinity characters raise your Avoid by quite a lot, with double-Earth supports (like Ike and Oscar, both of which join in the first chapter) going into near-gamebreaking territory.

--

But I agree with the general opinion that PoR is not a difficult game even on hard mode, so you can get away with a lot. Even the worst characters can be made competent with a BEXP infusion without really screwing you over.

6 hours ago, JuMs said:

Mia, the worst unit

Mia > Zihark because of possible earlygame contributions, fite me

(don't actually fite me, I'm half-kidding and don't intend to derail the thread ;): )

The final map allows up to 12 units, and 2 of them are mandatory. So just in case you want to only train up to 9-10 units so your main squad gets as much exp as possible since your playing on Difficult, now you have the option to. Hope that helps!! Feel free to play with more tho, I know I did!! 😁

Edited by TheChoZenOne

Zihark is better than Mia because he doesn't need as much training to get good quickly like Mia does.

Really focus on training Oscar because he can be just as good if not better than Titania if you get good level ups.

Non-mounted archers are not worth it (once Shinon leaves anyway), in my experience, since units like Oscar and Kieran can learn to use bows upon promotion.

Train Mist with lots of BEXP and give her a Master Seal when she gets to level 10. She's overall the better healer since she gets a mount upon promotion. Rhys isn't bad, but mounted units are really strong in PoR due to canto and overall better movement.

And, like others have said, have fun! Tellius is peak FE imo. I really think you'll come to love the world and characters.

Edited by twilitfalchion

15 hours ago, JuMs said:

Mia, the worst unit

I would say that's Rolf - he's already in a class known for sucking, but he takes the typical archer suck to a new level.

Anyway...

You need occult scrolls to learn special skills according to class. Unfortunately, most of them are not good - only Ike and Paladins get worthwhile skills with them.

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Zihark is better than Mia because he doesn't need as much training to get good quickly like Mia does.

tbh they're both pretty bad since they're Myrmidons and therefore don't have reliable 1-2 range. It's sad because I love myrmidons so much!

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

archers are not worth it

Fixed it for ya! Anyways, this is a particularly bad game to have bows, since what determines the best units is more or less "Who can 1-2 range, and who can do it quickly", which brings me to my next point:

Sages, when they promote, can gain access to Staves or Knives-Knives are practically useless. You can give them knives for the memes, but they won't be doing much with them at all.

And (don't quote me on this) every unpromoted cavalry unit in the game barring Kieran can get Axes on promotion, which you will almost certainly want to do since IIRC Steel and Hand axes are both E rank and you can forge hand axes. Kieran will probably want to take lances when he promotes.

Only thing to keep in mind is that you will be without an item storage for a good while. So it's important to make sure that you don't have to drop any weapons.
It's similar to FE7, but unlike FE7 there are no shops either. So until the base menu becomes available, you have to make do with what enemies drop. So make sure there is always space in your inventory.

Edited by BrightBow

28 minutes ago, Benice said:

Fixed it for ya! Anyways, this is a particularly bad game to have bows, since what determines the best units is more or less "Who can 1-2 range, and who can do it quickly", which brings me to my next point:

Sages, when they promote, can gain access to Staves or Knives-Knives are practically useless. You can give them knives for the memes, but they won't be doing much with them at all.

I would say Astrid is still worth using in spite of that. Especially since she has Paragon.

32 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would say Astrid is still worth using in spite of that. Especially since she has Paragon.

Ah, true. I forgot to mention that. I was mostly referring to not giving people bows on promotion if they can get axes or lances instead. Astrid's pretty good despite her initial bowlock. Then again she's technically not called an Archer in game, so I'm still correct.

Edited by Benice

20 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Also there are Trial maps after you clear the story and you can get more characters on subsequent playthroughs, so if something goes wrong in one playthrough and you don't mind it, you can always use that as an incentive to play it again. Although the latest trial map characters require a kinda silly number of playthroughs.

As in, Binding blade beat the game 9 times to get Zephiel playthroughs, or even more?

13 hours ago, ping said:

Cavs and flyers are really, really good; they obviously help clearing a chapter faster, can move after attacking, don't have any stat disadvantages compared to infantry units, and effective weapons aren't very dangerous.

So its just GBA with extra stuff.

Also, the green cav guy got a hp str skill spd def level, is that normal for him?

Edited by Hello72207

7 minutes ago, Hello72207 said:

As in, Binding blade beat the game 9 times to get Zephiel playthroughs, or even more?

Even more than that. The last unlockable character needs 15 completions.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Another thing you should do: LEVEL UP MIST. Yes, she starts at level 1 when by that point, you should have Rhys at significantly higher level. But you will be forced to use Mist for the latter part of a certain climatic chapter. And if she's weak, she's just going to die immediately. And you want her to help anyway because she can keep Ike healthy during this when that's pretty much a necessity.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and speaking of that climatic part of the chapter... The outcome will determine which out of two units you will automatically recruit. Make sure you don't end up having Ike fail to win, because the character you gain if he wins is much better.

Edited by Anacybele

8 hours ago, Hello72207 said:

So its just GBA with extra stuff.

Also, the green cav guy got a hp str skill spd def level, is that normal for him?

Yeah, it's similar to FE7 (on non-HHM difficulty) and FE8 in many regards.

--

About as normal as it is for Kent. If you don't count Oscar's Magic growth, they both have a growth total of 290%. Same with most other PoR units, really - growth rates are very similar to FE7/8, except generally a bit less HP to the benefit of everything else.

On 8/15/2020 at 3:08 AM, JuMs said:

I solo’d the last few chapter with Mia, the worst unit, in my first playthrough

...This is new to me.

Anyways FE9 is probably the easiest game in western hard mode because enemies have low stats.

Earlygame, especially chapters 4-6, has some challenge though.

Everyone is usable without many issues, even the weaker ones (= low level late joinments).

-Make sure everyone is out of the starting area before turn 5 in chapter 11. A named character will show up near where you started, but you can't recruit her in this chapter. You can get her in the next chapter,  but only if you avoid killing her. Also, avoid having anyone near the closed house north of your starting position before dealing with the boss. What's more, the houses in this chapter will not give anything to laguz.

-Don't leave anyone near the starting area in chapter 24.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1. Have fun. It's one of the best FEs.
  2. There's no branching promotions, but some characters will get access a weapon type of their choice upon promotion. Have fun experimenting. There is one promotion where one option is clearly inferior to the other, but if you want to do it, why not.
  3. Every unit is viable.
  4. Everyone escapes during escape objectives.
  5. remember magic is effective against different things: Fire for beast laguz, wind for bird laguz and pegasus knights, thunder for dragon laguz and wyvern knights.

Hopefully that wasn't too spoiler-y, but I don't consider these big secrets.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

remember magic is effective against different things: Fire for beast laguz, wind for bird laguz and pegasus knights, thunder for dragon laguz and wyvern knights.

[@bolded] That's Radiant Dawn; Wyvern Riders still have the old Bows and Wind magic weakness in PoR.

Sorry for being a smartass ;):