Fire Emblem Heroes - New Heroes (A New Future)

XRay

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

That is simply hogwash. Rhajat and Spring Loki were not drawn by Yusuke Kozaki, Awakening/Fates's art director. You can simply not like his work but it would be great if you could actually take 2 seconds to do a google search on who actually drew them and not blacken someone's name over misinformation.

Okay, you need to stop and not insult my intelligence. Because Kozaki wasn't the art director, only the primary artist. Those are two different people. YOU are the one that should have done research before rudely accusing someone of being wrong.

EDIT: Oh, the mistake was pointed out already. My bad.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Silver Star said:

As it stands they’re a waste of resources to make as you would just end up having two hollow lumps of metal sitting on your chest which seems like it would be heavy and distracting... 

A hemispherical cup is only double the material of a flat disk of the same diameter and thickness. If they protrude out less than a full hemisphere, then that's even less material.

That's not going to be a significant increase in the weight of the armor, especially when you consider that the typical boob plate is closer fitting below the breasts and above the waist whereas the typical medieval breastplate is domed outwards in that area. It's effectively just moving the dome up and splitting it in two, which is an insignificant increase in material, if any.

1 hour ago, bottlegnomes said:

Would the cups being metal cause any sort of chafing or bruising as opposed to a traditional bra?

Outside of an outfit that is obviously poorly designed, why would someone be wearing metal armor directly over their skin? Metal is cold and doesn't absorb water, whereas cloth is insulating and absorbs water, pulling it away from the skin.

At the minimum, one would wear a gambeson in between, which is a cloth garment that's at least as thick as a sweatshirt.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not going to be a significant increase in the weight of the armor, especially when you consider that the typical boob plate is closer fitting below the breasts and above the waist whereas the typical medieval breastplate is domed outwards in that area. It's effectively just moving the dome up and splitting it in two, which is an insignificant increase in material, if any.

Honestly, though, there's something to be said for the distributing of impact. Ideally, I'd say that the chest plate's exterior should be domed like it is for the men, at least on the outside, but on the inside just change how it fits since it's going around a different shape. That is, make the hollow part of the boob plate inside of the armor (like a mold) and add padding to the negative space in between the outside shell and the inside shape. That way it conforms to the body wearing it, and still redistributes impact force effectively, protecting the wearer. There shouldn't be so much negative space to fill between the inner and outer shells that it significantly increases weight or makes it awkward to wear, either. And since we're specifically talking about Edelgard post-timeskip, she can clearly afford armor fitted to her exact proportions (which is the best kind of armor.) I mean, she's kind of the emperor.

24 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Outside of an outfit that is obviously poorly designed, why would someone be wearing metal armor directly over their skin? Metal is cold and doesn't absorb water, whereas cloth is insulating and absorbs water, pulling it away from the skin.

At the minimum, one would wear a gambeson in between, which is a cloth garment that's at least as thick as a sweatshirt.

Things not immediately touching your skin can cause chafing as well.

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Things not immediately touching your skin can cause chafing as well.

Chafing is abrasion (usually minor) caused by continuous friction. So, not really, unless the thing on the outside is causing a thing on the inside to chafe against the skin. Everything would be tight enough to each other, however, that this shouldn't be a problem, except on the straps or the band since the aforementioned fat globs are going to rest in the cups and move with them. Your concern needs to be on your shoulders and your sides, if anything, and even then, only if things aren't fitted properly. Since she's the emperor, I'm sure that she can make sure her armor is tailored to her specifically.

5 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

unless the thing on the outside is causing a thing on the inside to chafe against the skin.

This is specifically what I was referring to. Probably should've mentioned that, so apologies for not being clearer. I'm speaking more with experience regarding legs and when I forgot the proper gear while riding and the friction between the saddle/stirrups and my jeans, and subsequently legs, causes some occasionally nasty chafing.

Edited by bottlegnomes

3 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

This is specifically what I was referring to. Probably should've mentioned that, so apologies for not being clearer. I'm speaking more with experience regarding legs and some past experiences where I forgot the proper gear while riding and the friction between the saddle/stirrups and my jeans, and subsequently legs, causes some occasionally nasty chafing.

I see. However, your jeans were probably not tight to your skin like the inner padding of the armor would be. If material is too tight or too lose, it's going to cause friction. However, if it's fitted correctly, everything should work as it's intended to.

Edit: Oh, also, legs have things like large muscles and bones in them, whereas fat sacks don't. Their structure is given to them mostly by the skin, so they're not really comparable to limbs, which have muscle and bone structure to rely on. So, they won't provide as much resistance and will move with the piece that's fitted around them.

Edited by Mercakete

Just now, Mercakete said:

I see. However, your jeans were probably not tight to your skin like the inner padding of the armor would be. If material is too tight or too lose, it's going to cause friction. However, if it's fitted correctly, everything should work as it's intended to.

Very true. The worst case was when I forgot my chaps, so too lose, but there were occasions where I would have to loosen the chaps for, as mentioned, the opposite end of the spectrum. Better armor would be custom fitted and avoid the issue barring weight loss/gain. I guess, at least with regards to the whole comfort aspect of it, I'm thinking too much about not perfectly fitted armor. If a medieval character were having boob armor made, they probably have the money or some other means to make sure it's fitted well.

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Very true. The worst case was when I forgot my chaps, so too lose, but there were occasions where I would have to loosen the chaps for, as mentioned, the opposite end of the spectrum. Better armor would be custom fitted and avoid the issue barring weight loss/gain. I guess, at least with regards to the whole comfort aspect of it, I'm thinking too much about not perfectly fitted armor. If a medieval character were having boob armor made, they probably have the money or some other means to make sure it's fitted well.

Absolutely. Knights would even make casts of their limbs and such to send to the armorer to make sure that it was fitted to their proportions. And if you had money, weight loss or gain wasn't much of an issue since you could just buy more armor (though, if you're working out all the time, you're probably going to keep about the same amount of fat percentage, especially since the diet and daily life of people is a lot different now than it was back then. Again, though, to be fair, it's not like there weren't long periods of staying at home with your wealth, but we're getting a bit too specific to certain years at that point.)

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

well yes, he isn't Kozaki, but neither is Awakening and Fates' art director, who's once again Kusakihara Toshiyuki

Kozaki was Awakening and Fates's character designer, not their art director: they're two very different roles

Huh, really? That's interesting, didn't know about that. Thanks for notifying me of that. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, you need to stop and not insult my intelligence. Because Kozaki wasn't the art director, only the primary artist. Those are two different people. YOU are the one that should have done research before rudely accusing someone of being wrong.

EDIT: Oh, the mistake was pointed out already. My bad.

You're correct, I didn't mean to be rude, sorry.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

On another subject, do we know what Jorge's prf does yet?

All that's known is that it has the "accelerates Special trigger" effect rather than granting +3 to a stat.

Also, Christ. Why is the boob armor discussion still going?

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

It's probably been settled now since it turned back to how armor in general works.

10 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

All that's known is that it has the "accelerates Special trigger" effect rather than granting +3 to a stat.

I'd be happy for slaying effect. He's got a pretty bulky stat line (great candidate for Close Counter/Foil), so it works for him.

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

And since we're specifically talking about Edelgard post-timeskip, she can clearly afford armor fitted to her exact proportions (which is the best kind of armor.) I mean, she's kind of the emperor.

1 hour ago, bottlegnomes said:

If a medieval character were having boob armor made, they probably have the money or some other means to make sure it's fitted well.

If you were rich enough to afford a full set of plate armor in the first place, you were definitely rich enough to have it tailored. Owning a full set of plate armor was already a luxury, so there would be no reason to not have it tailored to you when you had it made.

Fantasy settings can obviously bend the rules and have some kind of "standard issue" plate armor, but one has to wonder just how filthy rich someone would need to be to afford to gear up an entire army in plate armor on their own dime.

Edited by Ice Dragon

On 8/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, Ice Dragon said:

黒鷲の覇王 (kokushū? no haō), "Supreme Ruler of the Black Eagles"

• No idea if it's supposed to be pronounced kokushū or something else. Japanese compound words are obnoxious, and I haven't actually heard the word spoken because I haven't played the game yet. (I'm sure someone has to say it at some point.)

Apparently it's pronounced くろわし .

Ah yes, how lovely to see the age old "I didn't see a problem until other people pointed it out, so other people are overreacting" argument earlier in this thread. And I suppose the various social ills in society and other problems relating to life in general are also just "overreactions" if you personally can't see it.

Seriously. This is a fucking stupid argument.

I really hope that Claude's Atk/Spd Rein is inheritable by more than just fliers. It could be a pretty nifty C-skill substitute for lull skills (assuming I can get fodder of either, lol) in case a character wants to run desperation more than lull. Also, with Dimitri's personal B-skill being another one of those damage reduction skills, I suppose a future "damage reduction" banner could have any combination of Mareeta, Larcei, Fallen Ike, Say'ri, both Krises, and Dimitri. Unfortunately, there will be color-sharing.

CYL stats and Jorge's bow:

Spoiler

Edelgard has 46 HP, 45 Atk, 16 Spd, 43 Def and 35 Res, for 185 BST.

Dimitri has 41 HP, 40 Atk, 36 Spd, 40 Def and 19 Res, for 176 BST.

Claude has 42 HP, 36 Atk, 40 Spd, 23 Def and 25 Res, for 166 BST.

Lysithea has 40 HP, 40 Atk, 39 Spd, 21 Def and 25 Res, for 165 BST.

This info is from the new videos Nintendo Mobile just posted on YouTube.

I hope I did the math right. lol

Edit:

Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). Effective against flying foes.
Grant Atk+5 to allies within 2 spaces during combat. Inflict Atk-5 on foes within 2 spaces during combat.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

10 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Edelgard has 46 HP, 45 Atk, 16 Spd, 43 Def and 35 Res, for 185 BST.

Dimitri has 41 HP, 40 Atk, 36 Spd, 40 Def and 19 Res, for 176 BST.

Claude has 42 HP, 36 Atk, 40 Spd, 23 Def and 25 Res, for 166 BST.

Lysithea has 40 HP, 40 Atk, 39 Spd, 21 Def and 25 Res, for 165 BST.

This info is from the new videos Nintendo Mobile just posted on YouTube.

I hope I did the math right. lol

Edit:

1154265340_Screenshot_20200818-0221052.png.7d037889329f858a441efd703f666028.png

That bow looks solid. Not the most absurd, but definitely doesn't put a damper on my plans to merge him.

Hopefully he gets three runs in a reasonable timeframe, I really don't want to spend 1750 grails on a GHB unit.

39 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Does Jorge receive the atk increase from his bow?

Assuming there are no mistranslations, no and yes. One of Daniel-Made Bow's effects is a stronger Drive Atk: "Grants Atk+5 to allies within 2 spaces during combat." The equivalent would be Drive Atk 4 where Drive Atk 2 is the highest that grants an attack boost to allies only, Atk+3 to allies within 2 spaces, and Joint Drive Atk grants Atk+4 to the ally and unit running it.

The other effect is like Ashnard's Gurgurant, Gordin's unique refined Renowned Bow, unique refined Tharja's Hex, and Atk/Spd Rein where it inflicts an in-combat debuff to enemies within 2 spaces of the unit. For Daniel-Made Bow: "Inflicts Atk-5 on foes within 2 spaces during combat." In that case, it affects Jorge and allies who are fighting within the 2 range debuff. Since it inflicts Atk-5 on his foe, you could think of it as Jorge's attack being 5 points higher than what it is normally for an attack check. So, with Daniel-Made Bow equipped, Jorge has 50 Atk before any field buffs or debuffs. Suppose he is fighting a unit with 51 Atk and has Heavy Blade. Jorge's 50 Atk is < his foe's 51 Atk and his foe would get special cooldown charge +1 and if they have Heavy Blade 4, deal 5 damage per attack. But, Daniel-Made Bow inflicts Atk-5 on his foe during combat, so now it's Jorge's 50 Atk against his foe's 51-5 Atk and 50 Atk is not < his foe's 46 Atk. Or you could consider it as being Jorge's attack is now 50 (+5) Atk to his foe's 51 and 55 is not < his foe's 51 Atk. Similarly, since his foe's attack is 5 lower, Jorge's defenses can be considered 5 higher; he has 35 Def and 29 Res before field buffs and debuffs and during combat and with the Atk-5 debuff on his foe, you could consider them as 40 Def and 34 Res. This won't work for a defense or resistance check, though. He would have need an effect that targets those stats like Def+3 for him during combat or Def-3 on his foe.

This is how Panne can get away with running Heavy Blade despite her base neutral attack being 29 since Taguel Fang grants her Atk/Spd/Def/Res+3 which she is either adjacent to a beast or dragon ally or not adjacent to anyone and when she's transformed and initiates, her beast cavalry transformation effect inflicts Atk/Def-4 on her foe and also prevents the foe from making a follow-up attack. The end result being that Panne's Atk can be considered 52; 29 base + 14 Mt Taguel Fang + 2 from being transformed + 3 when fulfilling her Spectrum Beast-Dragon Bond or Solo effect + 4 from beast cavalry effect when she initiates. Add in an A passive like Atk/Spd Solo or Fury since she doesn't come with one to further boost her attack. It's gimmicky and not as effective as another beast cavalry or anyone else really with a higher base neutral attack, but it can work.

It's a weird way to think about it. I hope I did not confuse you or anyone else reading this.

Edited by Kaden