Uniqueness of Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light

Topaz Light

So, I've been playing through FE1 lately (made it up to Chapter 20 as of this writing), and, while I know it logically couldn't have been intended to have any particular relationship with future games as of its creation, I've actually found the game to be retroactively quite different and refreshing in a number of ways. Tomes serving as Pokémon-style "fixed-damage attacks" (a la Sonic Boom or Dragon Rage) is actually a pretty interesting role for them! The combination of the lower stat cap of 20 across the board (save for HP, which caps at 52) actually does a pretty good job of keeping units from becoming so overpowered as to become invincible. As well, promotion bonuses work in the manner most fans probably associated with Shadows of Valentia; raising stats up to the promoted class's base stats if they're lower rather than giving fixed bonuses. This actually works really well with the lower stat caps to create a dynamic around promotion where it's very much about who's most direly in need of the boost, and less about holding off for as long as possible with everyone. I suppose I wouldn't really classify... really any of this as better so much as just different, but I certainly do find it an interesting change of pace from how the setup from how I personally am inclined to play the installments with Thracia 776-style promotion mechanics.

It's also sort of interesting to me that, due to the way Weapon Level works, Julian, Rickard, and Xane actually need the singular Arms Scroll in the game to use anything above Iron, Steel, and Devil Swords. It lends that Arms Scroll a special sort of value, and that unique relationship between it and the three aforementioned units is something to which no parallel really exists in other installments, to my knowledge. I do feel like they could've stood to go a little higher with certain Weapon Level requirements, though, considering the highest requirement in the game (Gradivus) is a whole six points below the cap.

It's just been really fun! It's been really cool seeing all the little touches even modern Fire Emblem games don't really retain; Ballisticians have unique combat animations for each of their five weapons, for example, or bow-using classes having separate animations for standard bows and crossbows (with every class but Sniper also having "big crossbow" sprites)... Then Marth has at least three different attacking animations just dedicated to different weapons, plus at least two unique critical hit animations.

I've actually found myself rather disappointed that neither of the two remakes of FE1 are really quite true to it, whether because of cuts or because of massive overhauls to the mechanics to bring it more in line with later installments. The games does rather want for quality-of-life features, as NES games tend to, but I think that there's a lot more value in a lot of FE1's now-idiosyncratic design and presentation elements than it gets credit for!

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on the game, since I don't really know hardly anything about the general consensus on it besides the completely uninteresting, if perhaps understandable, "it's a NES game that aged poorly so play one of its remakes instead" takes.

2 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

The combination of the lower stat cap of 20 across the board (save for HP, which caps at 52) actually does a pretty good job of keeping units from becoming so overpowered as to become invincible. As well, promotion bonuses work in the manner most fans probably associated with Shadows of Valentia; raising stats up to the promoted class's base stats if they're lower rather than giving fixed bonuses. This actually works really well with the lower stat caps to create a dynamic around promotion where it's very much about who's most direly in need of the boost, and less about holding off for as long as possible with everyone. I suppose I wouldn't really classify... really any of this as better so much as just different, but I certainly do find it an interesting change of pace from how the setup from how I personally am inclined to play the installments with Thracia 776-style promotion mechanics.

in case of FE1/3's promotions, it's always been all about utility vs necessity. then of course, the same logic could be applied to other titles as well.

basicly, it's one of those games where there's no means to safely increase each character's experience without taking risks( arenas and/or enemy reinforcements ), so promoting a unit was( and still is, in some cases ) all about if it was really needed. to make an example: a priest that could gain access to tomes upon promotion could eventually take priority over a mercenary that doesn't get much due to being locked to swords only.

that's also what made the early games quite unique compared to the latest titles, since you had limited options and you had to choose between playing it safe, or taking risks for additional rewards.

then, the trend started by Sacred Stones( and to some extent, even Gaiden before SS ) eventually led a portion of players to just grind exp by killing enemies/monsters around the world map in order to cap their character's stats however/whenever they wanted.

for better or worse, it's a matter of points of view: it made things overall easier for everyone, but at the same time it took away a layer of difficulty from the game.

I've actually found myself rather disappointed that neither of the two remakes of FE1 are really quite true to it, whether because of cuts or because of massive overhauls to the mechanics to bring it more in line with later installments. The games does rather want for quality-of-life features, as NES games tend to, but I think that there's a lot more value in a lot of FE1's now-idiosyncratic design and presentation elements than it gets credit for!

in my opinion, FE3 at least has managed to mantain its own charm through the years, to the point it almost looks like a GBA game in terms of graphics.

Shadow Dragon, on the other hand, hasn't really aged well and it looks more like a remaster that tried to further improve the mechanics from the original, but wasn't really needed to begin with.

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on the game, since I don't really know hardly anything about the general consensus on it besides the completely uninteresting, if perhaps understandable, "it's a NES game that aged poorly so play one of its remakes instead" takes.

it is an archaic game indeed, mostly for people who really like retro games, or that are simply interested about the origins of the FE franchise.

i would suggest playing it at least once out of curiosity, just to see how it all began.

otherwise, FE3 would be a good alternative with even more content to offer( basicly, it's 2 games in 1 ). although some mechanics may differ from the original, it's still a decent game nonetheless.

FE1 is the most fun I've had in Archanea, personally. There's several things I liked about the game that weren't the case in the DS remake:

• Marth isn't dead weight: While he does start out as kind of a wimp and only has twenty levels to grow, his three personal weapons are all game breakingly good. The rapier is also the most available weapon in the game's shops, besides maybe the basic iron sword.
  • The starsphere/starlight choice matters: In the remake, you keep the star sphere. Always. There's no good justification for getting the rapier and giving up an item that lets you use regalia weapons an infinite number of times. in FE1, you can't hammerne those weapons either, but Marth becomes god with the Falchion, and it's the strongest weapon against the final boss whom most of your units will not be able to hurt without gradivus and capped strength. So the choice between these options is extremely high stakes, and you can make arguments for both.
  • Arenas are high stakes, but abuseable: I love breaking games, and the arena is extremely predictable, handing you opponents based on your unit's level. So when you promote a unit, they can grind for quite a bit against some of the easiest enemies in the game. But if you don't understand the arena's mechanics, it's too dangerous. There's no way to back out and enemy strength varies quite a bit. Also if your weapon breaks, the match will continue until your unit just dies. Gotta make sure your unit's equipped weapon has enough durability.

I wouldn't have played the game if not for it showing up on Switch. And so I hope other FE games make the jump as well. Even FE2 would be a day one play for me.

1 minute ago, GlitchWarrior said:

WAIT WHAT?

It's on the Famicom app. Just make a new Nintendo account, set its region to japan, link it to a separate profile on your switch, go on the eshop using that profile, download the famicom app, and as long as one of your profiles has Nintendo Switch Online, you can access those games.

FE1 is, a game. I'd personally say it's one of the worse FE games, mostly because of the fact that it's a 30 year old NES RPG in dire need of some quality of life features. That said, it can still be a very enjoyable experience, just one you never really go back to.

Magic being a static resource is interesting, but also makes magic users kinda boring. Their only important stats become speed, hp and defense, so raising them feels inconsequential. 

Outside of the last 5 or so chapters of the game, the stat cap of 20 doesn't do much to stop units from wrecking house. Personal weapons are extremely strong, and the Regalia are in a class of their own. My strategy for most of the game was just "Send Cain at the enemy, kill them all, profit". Only when the game starts sending such a massive quantity of enemies at you does the stat caps of 20 mean something.

Side note, this is an issue FE3 Book 1 exacerbates. Enemies are pathetic in that book. Book 2 steps it up with Dragons and other foes to keep you on your toes, but with Book 1 being limited with adhering to FE1, the stat caps of 20 are basically irrelevant. Except for the final chapter. That'll fuck you up.

The system of making promo bonuses just go to the stat bases is something I feel works well in Gaiden/SoV, and terribly in FE1. This is because the, in my opinion overly limited nature of promo items. In Gaiden, you have access to instant promotion whenever, meaning that doing so will result in great gain. In FE1, you'll be waiting a long time for promotion items, almost half the game. At that point, you get next to nothing from promo, outside a new animation and a move boost. It's certainly a change of pace, but it's one I've had my fill of after one try.

Weapon Level is probably the most interesting thing about FE1/3. I quite enjoy it, for the most part. Its biggest imbalances mostly got ironed out in FE3, like how it doesn't really matter past 14-ish. And while the dynamic Julian, Rickard, and Xane have with the Arms Scroll is interesting, I'd also say it's kinda pointless. Rickard and Julian are not combat units, they really don't need anything outside of iron and steel swords. As for Xane, if you're ever using Xane untransformed then something has gone wrong. It's still an interesting dynamic, persay, but it's one that doesn't allow the dependancy of an item to really shine. 

If there's one thing I gotta give NES FE, it's the animations. They're super good, and shine through the limitations. The fact they got so many on an NES cartridge is impressive. That said, I'd say most of the little touches of this game are ones that basically all modern FE games have. Different animations depending on the weapon used is something that I'm pretty sure every FE game does, just not to the extent of the NES Ballistician, and most of the time the lords have special animations for their super weapons.

The two FE1 remakes certainly are no SoV, but I'd say overall that they do sufficiently replace FE1. FE3 is the true gameplay experience that they wanted but couldn't quite get on NES hardware. FE11 is the true story experience they couldn't get on either NES or SNES hardware. They don't perfectly replicate FE1, but I'd be hard pressed to call that a bad thing. FE3 works so well specifically because it ditches some of the boring or bad FE1 chapters, and tries to introduce more strategy with dismounting, as well as just generally having more quality of life features. FE11 is another beast entirely, and frankly I don't consider it a remake. It's a re-imagining, just to a much lesser extent than other re-imaginings like FF7R.

FE1 is a game that you play once you've gotten to the point in your FE playing experience where you've got a couple games left to play and are invested enough to want to see where it starts, or if you're one of those people that has to play games in order, it's where you start. Much like other NES Nintendo franchises, it works best in modern days as a time capsule. An oddity you look back into the past with, and less so as a completely standalone game. It certainly has its merits, and it's still FE, but just like Metroid and Zelda, it's very much a product of its time.

I personally love FE1! Being one of those people that has to play games in order (as R0xas aptly put it), it was the first FE game I completed, and I've got very fond memories of it. I like how different it is to the newer games - even its remakes. Weapon level, the way promotion works, the very limited number of classes that can even promote, Kaga's hatred of axes, even minor things like crossbows just make it feel like a completely different experience to me. Consequentially, I am of the opinion that the remakes aren't just better versions of the original. They're different games. They follow the same outline (both in gameplay and in story), but they're still very different games, and one isn't a substitute for the other.

What I think is a problem that a lot of people going into FE1 have, is that they expect it to be like FE11, and then they feel disappointed with the gameplay and completely overlook the story differences when they get to it. I believe FE1 is best enjoyed as its own thing: its own game, its own story. It also obviously suffers from how old it is, with its awful UI... though in my opinion, the game is generally easy enough for that to not really be much of a problem.