What AR team comps give you the most trouble?

Icelerate

Polls regarding the difficulty of beating AR def teams  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What AR team comps give you the most trouble

• Cav lines
    • Mixed
    • Armour balls
    • Flier balls
    • Infantry pulse
  2. 2. Which AR team comps are the hardest in general

3. 3. Which AR team comps are the easiest for you

4. 4. Which AR team comps are the easiest in general?

• Cav lines
    • Mixed
    • Armour balls
    • Flier balls
    • Infantry pulse

For now, I'd say infantry pulse is the most dangerous for me because I don't have pulse smoke or even/odd pulse tie.

However, once I get it for both seasons, infantry pulse will probably not be that difficult.

I think mixed team comps are probably the most dangerous in general because you can't hard counter them like you can with the other comps.

Conversely, which AR team comps are the easiest for you to beat? For me, the easiest is armour balls or simply walled off units including corner setups.

I don't really know what's harder for anyone else, so I just voted infantry for the first two and armors for the second two.

I'd rate the difficulty Infantry > Fliers > Mixed > Cavs > Armors.

Am retired now, but for me it was down to individual units and not team compositions as a whole. Essentially it was any unit who could tank Legendary Leif and destroy him on the counter. Especially true if they have Vantage, though I gave Peony Hardy Bearing just to counter Seliph, the biggest - or at least the most frequent offender. Bike was another for obvious reasons, often I felt the most reliable way of dealing with him was to suicide bomb him by activating a Bolt Trap. The addition of Mila to my team largely fixed that shortcoming, fortunately, but she was only around for about a month before I stopped playing the mode seriously. Sometimes I wonder how the hell I got three silver thrones purely off the back of a one-dimensional Leif-based offense and intentionally losing every defense.

Just as well I got out before CYL Dimitri adds yet another hard counter I suppose. 😛

Lysithea.

Also units with swords if they're overlapping with hard-hitting ranged units, particularly Alm and Ophelia, since my ranged tanks have trouble with swords and my melee tank has trouble with non-green ranged nukes.

I've been seeing fewer flier balls, but they've been causing me fewer problems recently.

Armor balls are laughable.

On Light Season, since I use BH!Ike, nothing is really difficult.

On Astra Season, Kronya is still my primary offense unit, and Infantry Pulse teams are still the most difficult for me to counter.

Armor balls and stall teams in general are a joke. If I see it, it is basically a free win since I can overpower it with my player phase team.

Infantry Pulse is pretty rough especially during Astra season since my two Altina's are usually dead weight. Brave Ike can be annoying when he's out of Bolt Tower range. That Eliwood guy forces me to run Panne these days. So mixed comps with a mixture of those threats is pretty rough; add in Hardy Bearing Lysthea/Kiria for even more trouble.

Those passive stall teams are always free wins so I appreciate running into them every now and then.

I'd say the hardest are mixed teams and the easiest are probably Armor Balls because people hardly invest in them.

A well invested armor ball is actually a pretty big pain~

Flier balls are pretty easy, too. I used to hate them but then I got Midori~

nothing consistently fucks me anymore. a good pulse setup can catch me offguard if i'm playing dumb, but most of the time there's a keystone elimination and the rest fall like dominos. i smile hugely every time i see armorball. flierball probably comes the closest because i'm an idiot and never check for mobility skills on units so i bleed someone to wom or flier formation or something.

what i'm saying is my worst enemy in aether raids is myself

Really depends on the bonus unit that are available for my Team.

But atm the biggest threats are Lysethea, because Pulse Smoke doesnt effect her much at all with Times Pulse. So its either kill her or get wrecked.

Pulse Teams arent that big of an issue with Pulse Smoke.

And then there are some oddities in between, but to be honest i am not even try hardcore anymore, i usually end up using all 3 Free AR Runs even tough i have still the well intact to rerun. I just cant be bothered.

17 minutes ago, Carter said:

i have an easy time with Fliers and Armored but what really messes me up is any team with a dancer. Especially Legendary Azura.

Do you have any Isolation units? I use Mila on Light season and Bride Fjorm on Astra season and they've been a huge help with that. Teams with multiple dancers are still a pain, though.

Most trouble in practice: Fliers. Teams based around Tibarn, specifically, are the worst for me to deal with, but there are many balanced Flier teams that are just too agile for my team to deal with.

Most trouble on paper: Armored. I raised my Armor School (D) for the purpose of making sure Armored teams would have trouble against me. Now that they came out with Brave!Edelgard, I'm counting on it doing some work.

Most ease in practice and paper: Mixed, except for Tibarn Dancer comps. Most mixed teams I've defended and attacked against ended up folding really easily once a key unit was taken out. Their problem is that while they have versatility, they lack the synergy that "Emblem" teams have even today. Therefore, they typically end up having a couple strong units and the rest as support; take either out, the other falls like Emmeryn.

23 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Teams based around Tibarn, specifically, are the worst for me to deal with, but

what tier are you in? i remember this being a huge issue for me in the mid to late teens, and it got a lot better when i made a flex team that just had a regular old 5* silas (presumably lukas or mordecai work too) with guard 2. he didn't do enough damage to set up wings of mercy on tibarn, and denied him galeforcing around, while letting me take the initiative on the next pp.

EDIT: it turns out the team is still my #4 AR team even though i haven't seen tibarn in a while. it's called, charmingly, 'i need silas'.

Edited by Integrity

57 minutes ago, Integrity said:

what tier are you in? i remember this being a huge issue for me in the mid to late teens, and it got a lot better when i made a flex team that just had a regular old 5* silas (presumably lukas or mordecai work too) with guard 2. he didn't do enough damage to set up wings of mercy on tibarn, and denied him galeforcing around, while letting me take the initiative on the next pp.

EDIT: it turns out the team is still my #4 AR team even though i haven't seen tibarn in a while. it's called, charmingly, 'i need silas'.

Tier 16, possibly Tier 17 by the end of the season at the rate I'm going.
I've been on-and-off AR for the most part. I recently got back into it thanks to me FINALLY getting a Duo unit (so I didn't get destroyed while defending).
Btw, do you see many Duo units in high Tier AR?

The only AR defense type I've had any luck with was Cav lines and even that's iffy these days. Are there any good guides out there for building or facing the different types of AR defense? Gamepress had some nice offensive team guides but still hasn't got any for the reverse. Thanks in advance, everyone!

1 hour ago, MilodicMellodi said:

I've been on-and-off AR for the most part. I recently got back into it thanks to me FINALLY getting a Duo unit (so I didn't get destroyed while defending).

I see occasionally a Duo unit in AR, but its not common. Duo-Micaiah, Duo-Hector with Kronya, or Duo-Alphonse. Thats basicly it. The Problem i think most Duo-units face is besides 2-3 Mythics and your main tank/player phase unit there isnt much room left to place a Duo unit. Especially in Astra season where your Mythics provide next to none extra support (besides effectiv Dragon Damage)

2 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

yeah that's exactly where i was (i think it was 15) when i started running into a bunch of tibarn teams and they petered out around 19

i'm not great to ask about high tier AR comps i just brute forced my way to 21 and then fell out of it and am going back (20 rn). i don't see many duos, though, and the ones i do see aren't especially threatening unless you don't have a counter for them, which is why you get 5 teams to play with.

Edited by Integrity

On 8/16/2020 at 6:38 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Lysithea.

This and Duo Alfonse for me. It feels like every other map I encounter towards the later half of a week has Duo Alfonse with Time's Pulse and a two counter special (which becomes 1 thanks to his weapon) like Ruptured Sky/Moonbow/Glimmer. Lysithea will often be there with him.

Maybe it is about time we got a new defensive type of special kind of like Aegis or Pavise but only triggers in response to offensive specials going off.