The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword possibly leaked for Switch!

Anacybele

Time to start having some hope, Zelda fans!

This seriously happened!

https://zeldauniverse.net/2020/08/16/skyward-sword-possibly-coming-to-nintendo-switch-according-to-amazon-listing/?fbclid=IwAR0EgernQgSgE6Q_nOzKKZR1OsZLuNfy9KADHVAMF6X22ruYyDRycwe8UO0

Amazon UK listed Skyward Sword for the Switch and with an $80 price tag when converted to US dollars. It's just a listing, so it's not a real confirmation, but leaks like this are much more often true than not!

And if that $80 is how much it would actually cost in the US as well, this has to be more than just a graphical upgrade. No way would a Switch game cost more than the standard $60 unless some extra goodies were added. In fact, $80 is common for some special editions! Maybe it'll come bundled with a re-release of the Skyward Sword Link Amiibo or something? I still never got my hands on that one. It just got too expensive and rare. 😞

If this is real, what do you guys hope for it? I hope there's more than just graphic updates. Add some more stuff to do in the sky and make Fi a little less hand-holdy. And perhaps improve the motion controls. But if possible, also add a control option for no motion controls. I'd use the motion controls because I enjoyed them, but I know others did not. That's all I really ask, other than a reprint of the SS Link Amiibo to happen as well whether it's bundled with the game or not. Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda and I really really really hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake by Amazon. I've been wanting a Skyward Sword remake forever since OoT, MM, TP, and TWW all got theirs. SS is the only console 3D Zelda to not yet be remade and it is that time for it. Not to mention that next year is its 10th anniversary as well as Zelda's 35th. Skyward Sword was originally kind of a celebration of the 25th anniversary. So how damn fitting would a remake of it releasing next year be? 😄

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If this is real, what do you guys hope for it? 

My main hope would be that there's an option for left-handed control scheme with Link being left-handed to reflect it. Skyward Sword is so motion-control dependent that the game unfairly favours the right-handed. Even if motion-controls somehow get removed (which would be very hard to do since the game was so dependent on them) 

I also hope that there's an option for more experienced players that removes some of the hand-holding, such as removing the tablet that says to find a way to get the statue back up.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

My main hope would be that there's an option for left-handed control scheme with Link being left-handed to reflect it. Skyward Sword is so motion-control dependent that the game unfairly favours the right-handed.

That was unfortunate, but since a vast majority of people are right-handed and technology was different then than it is now, it was probably a necessity for the motion controls to work. But it could definitely have a left-handed option in a remake, I'm pretty sure.

Just now, Anacybele said:

That was unfortunate, but since a vast majority of people are right-handed and technology was different then than it is now, it was probably a necessity for the motion controls to work. But it could definitely have a left-handed option in a remake, I'm pretty sure.

I suppose. It certainly would've been nice if Nintendo had said something about why there wasn't a left-handed option, and that the reason given wasn't just a pathetic excuse like the answer they gave for why Link was right-handed in Breath of the Wild when there were no motion controls.

"Link's right-handed because... ugh... the attack button is on the right side of the controller" the attack button has been on the right side of the controller since the SNES, and Link was still left-handed in every game since A Link to the Past, and I don't recall a single right-handed person complaining about it! Don't lie to your fanbase, Nintendo; lying that blatantly is Bethesda's job, not yours!

With that out of my system, I suppose it would also be nice for the sky to have more content. As it is now, the only content in the sky outside of thunderhead is either Skyloft or something that could've easily just been part of Skyloft. 

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Maybe it'll come bundled with a re-release of the Skyward Sword Link Amiibo or something?

I would guess maybe an art book or a reprint of the soundtrack from back in 2011 maybe? I doubt they would release gold Joy-cons like the gold Wiimote back in the day.

41 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If this is real, what do you guys hope for it?

1080p 60fps, no excuses. A game as old as SS should be able to hit that mark without issue. Fix the motion controls for those who want to use them, but add a completely motion control free way of playing the game. Give us an option to make Fi shut up for once and get rid of all tutorials if we choose to. Cut down the Imprisoned fights to two max, but preferably one. More content in the sky (as vanguard333 said above) would really help to not make it feel so barren. Make Hero Mode available from the start like the other games did. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

SS isn't my favorite Zelda game (I prefer both BotW and WW) although I like its story and overall presentation quite a bit, but I would definitely appreciate a remake so I can finally beat the game and experience it in a way that doesn't involve gimmicky controls.

My opinions of Skyward Sword have always been a bit mixed, and so I am uncertain. I am one of those that loved the motion controlled sword play, and was really enjoying the game, trying to 100% it blind, up until I got myself stuck on a game breaking glitch that made it impossible to progress. Once I was given the quest to find the dragons, after completing the first challenge, my first thought was of the archeologist Goron in the desert who was studying the dragon, so went there for the next one, and after completing that challenge as well, I figured that same Goron might give me a hint about what I would need to do at the volcano to progress the game, and had the audacity to check his dialogue twice. That apparently broke the story critical event in the volcano that would let me progress. In a crueler irony, when I finally cracked, and decided to break my blind play to find some way to progress, I discovered that I had gotten stuck by a known game breaking glitch. As irony would have it, the last day I played it was the day before Nintendo would release a patch for it. I wouldn't discover that until years latter and went back to the game, but the damage had already been done, the negative impression lingered enough that I couldn't enjoy it even then, despite how much fun I with it before.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

My opinions of Skyward Sword have always been a bit mixed, and so I am uncertain. I am one of those that loved the motion controlled sword play, and was really enjoying the game, trying to 100% it blind, up until I got myself stuck on a game breaking glitch that made it impossible to progress. Once I was given the quest to find the dragons, after completing the first challenge, my first thought was of the archeologist Goron in the desert who was studying the dragon, so went there for the next one, and after completing that challenge as well, I figured that same Goron might give me a hint about what I would need to do at the volcano to progress the game, and had the audacity to check his dialogue twice. That apparently broke the story critical event in the volcano that would let me progress. In a crueler irony, when I finally cracked, and decided to break my blind play to find some way to progress, I discovered that I had gotten stuck by a known game breaking glitch. As irony would have it, the last day I played it was the day before Nintendo would release a patch for it. I wouldn't discover that until years latter and went back to the game, but the damage had already been done, the negative impression lingered enough that I couldn't enjoy it even then, despite how much fun I with it before.

I remember hearing about that awful glitch and being glad I didn't end up with it. But I think it's safe to say that a remake won't have that issue.

OH MY GOD YES PLEASE LET THIS BE REAL!!

I'd be so happy if they remade this game! Things I'd be looking for:

• Less Fi handholding
  • For people who dislike motion controls, an option to  not use them. Personally, I love them, but a lot of people don't.
  • I'd like a fast travel option for the Sky-For example, you click on the Thunderhead and you warp there with your loftwing. Having a few more locations in the sky also wouldn't hurt, though.
  • Closed world-A more linear and traditional zelda game would be a nice breather after BotW and probably BotW 2 aren't/won't be.
  • Keep it really similar! Skyward Sword is a really great game and has some amazing locations and gimmicks. I hope it's a faithful remake...
  • Also, perhaps it could be fully voice acted? Not too important, but Groose and Girahim need voices. They're too fabulous not to.
  • 21 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I got myself stuck on a game breaking glitch that made it impossible to progress.

Oh no... You did the Lanayru trial first...

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

My main hope would be that there's an option for left-handed control scheme with Link being left-handed to reflect it. Skyward Sword is so motion-control dependent that the game unfairly favours the right-handed.

But which hand Link uses is purely aethetic, isn't it? I have the sword in my left hand and it didn't particularly bother me-I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option to have Link be left or right-handed, though.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

But which hand Link uses is purely aethetic, isn't it? I have the sword in my left hand and it didn't particularly bother me-I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option to have Link be left or right-handed, though.

Normally, yes, it is aesthetic. But Skyward Sword was as dependent on motion controls as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks depended on the DS pen (almost entirely), so it's not just aesthetic in that game.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Normally, yes, it is aesthetic. But Skyward Sword was as dependent on motion controls as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks depended on the DS pen (almost entirely), so it's not just aesthetic in that game.

But regardless of whether you hold the sword in your left or right hand, Link will attack left or right as you do. The harp parts can be a bit funky with the wrong hand, but aside from that, I didn't have any troubles.

Then again, I also think that there's nothing wrong with the motion controls to begin with, so maybe I'm just wack?

I'd hope for the motion controls to be entirely removed, but if they aren't, then for goodness sake please add a left-hand mode. The controls as they are were just TERRIBLE, it was literally so bad that I can barely even finish the game. I'm one of the left-handed persons who was definitely very negatively effected by the controls; I swing right like I'm supposed to, Link swings the other way because I'm holding the controller in my left hand. I cannot switch, that's like asking a lefty to cut with a right-handed pair of scissors.

There wasn't even any excuse for there to not be a left-hand mode to begin with. It's literally as simple as just making "inverted/mirrored mode" and BOOM, you're done, that's literally all you have to do, something games have done and continued to do and was VERY possible to do.

When it comes to SS, I love the Skyloft remix in HW (the original rendition is fine), Ghirahim is nice, and Lanayru Province had an interesting environmental gimmick while the other regions were pleasantly designed too.

SS on the whole however isn't among my preferred Zeldas. I was a curmudgeon who didn't enjoy the lore additions of SS, honestly thats been a bigger issue for me than the motion controls, which I admit to never fully getting the hang of. I never finished SS, because I greatly struggled with The Imprisoned round 2 and as soon as I saw round 3 existed, I kinda gave up, even if I've long said I'd get back to the game. I hate stealth and feared the Silent Realm challenges for a long while too.

I didn't mind the choice of SS to dungeonize the overworld, which is the opposite of Breath of the Wild, which made a sacrifice in dungeons for bigger overworld, albeit with Hyrule Castle being very cool and the Sheikan Shrines offering some dungeon-ish puzzling. Considering BotW could feel hollow, the direction SS went in wasn't all so bad, even if I don't remember loving it either.

For the motion controls, I hope they make any fine adjustments that would be required for the Joy-Cons' motion capabilities compared to the Wii Remote's, otherwise they'd be even worse. Alternatively, I guess you could assign sword control to the right control stick and do away with the motion controls?

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Add an actual Master Quest OoT style, where the puzzles are completely different. One of the ideas I wished would come back.

Oh yeah, that would be awesome!

I'm still somewhat in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode, but even assuming this is real, I wouldn't read too much into the price.  It's not that unusual for games in the UK to cost £60. More normally, I'd expect £50 for a big game, but £60 definitely does happen. Looking quickly on Amazon, I can see that they're currently charging £60 for Breath of the Wild and Smash Ultimate, for instance. And yes, £70 is more than £60, but it's not that much more, and it's less than I would typically expect for a collector's edition. If I had to guess, I'd say that the price was more likely to be a dummy price put in because they didn't have an actual price, same as they didn't have an actual release date.

As for what I hope for: the ability to play without motion controls. I didn't buy it on the Wii because I didn't want to deal with motion controls, and I won't buy it on Switch if I have to deal with motion controls. I just don't enjoy them. If I can play without them, though, I'd definitely be interested, since it always looked like a pretty cool game otherwise. From what I've heard, the motion controls are pretty heavily baked into the game design, though, so I'm not sure how well they could pull off a version without them. I guess I'd want to wait to see what reviews made of it before making my mind up.

All I ask is an option to play without motion controls.  That alone would improve my opinion of the game significantly.

Beyond that I'd also like for Fi to shut up a bit more, she doesn't need to repeat something a NPC told you five seconds ago.  

I suppose connecting the world a bit more could also be nice (ie make it possible to reach the other surface regions from the one you're in) but I doubt that.

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd hope for the motion controls to be entirely removed, but if they aren't, then for goodness sake please add a left-hand mode. The controls as they are were just TERRIBLE, it was literally so bad that I can barely even finish the game. I'm one of the left-handed persons who was definitely very negatively effected by the controls; I swing right like I'm supposed to, Link swings the other way because I'm holding the controller in my left hand. I cannot switch, that's like asking a lefty to cut with a right-handed pair of scissors.

There wasn't even any excuse for there to not be a left-hand mode to begin with. It's literally as simple as just making "inverted/mirrored mode" and BOOM, you're done, that's literally all you have to do, something games have done and continued to do and was VERY possible to do.

I agree. There should be a left-hand mode. The Wii version of Twilight Princess was fine because it was just flicking the Wii remote or pointing the Wii remote, but the motion controls are so ingrained into Skyward Sword that it really is disadvantageous. 

Temper your expectations. All the Zelda remasters so far have all had something different, though. It'll be hard to guess what they'll really do. Though, I do hope they take away the item notification refresh. You know, where after you turn the game back on you'll get tipped off about the item you've picked up, even if you've picked it up a hundred times before.

I hope hero mode is available from the start, cause that's where the controls really began to shine in my opinion. Especially the

Ghirahim fights

became much more challenging and thus enjoyable. Co-sign the left-handed mode, although I didn't have much trouble adjusting. Using the nunchuck in my right hand felt to be honest weirder than flinging the wiimote, cause I'm just so used to controlling the character with my left thumb. 

That said, I think there will be an option of no motion controls at all. Can't image not being able to play such a high-profile single player game on the Switch Lite/handheld mode.
Skyward Sword definitely needs some QoL improvements also. Even though it only released 9 years ago, it will feel very dated if left untouched (as in being a straight port). 

Oh yeah, I saw this. I don't think I'd care if it isn't a remastered, because I don't think the quality of the game is that bad. This game would surely be much more fun without the Wii motion plus (which I don't hate as much as most people). This is one of my more favorite Zelda games despite the amount of critique and hate it gets. For some freaking reason though it's one of the few Zelda games I've only beaten once. There's a lot to the game and I recall it being longer than most. I'd probably buy it for the Switch if it comes. The only thing I don't look forward to are those trials . . . I remember stressing over those so bad. I was literally shaking and breathing heavily once I got to a safe zone lol. I get that was like 10 years ago, so Idk how much easier or less stressful it'd be now.

I'm by no means a series devotee, but I have played Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Ocarina of Time 3D, and A Link Between Worlds. I could definitely see myself finally playing Skyward Sword, if it makes it to Switch. Won't want to pay more than $60 for it, though.

I expect it wouldn't be motion controlled. The Joy Con controllers while having motion controls aren't as adapted to it as much as Skyward Sword is designed for. For one thing it would need some kind of pointer system for the bow. There is some kind of infrared on the bottom of the Joy con but I don't think isn't used for that feature. For one the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar for that and for two it's on the bottom of the controller, so you'd need to swing back your hand to use it.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:52 AM, Jotari said:

I expect it wouldn't be motion controlled. The Joy Con controllers while having motion controls aren't as adapted to it as much as Skyward Sword is designed for. For one thing it would need some kind of pointer system for the bow. There is some kind of infrared on the bottom of the Joy con but I don't think isn't used for that feature. For one the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar for that and for two it's on the bottom of the controller, so you'd need to swing back your hand to use it.

The bow in Skyward Sword didn't actually use the pointer at all; it used the gyroscope somewhat similarly to how it was done for Wii Sports Resort archery. I actually found it very weird that it did that, considering the bow controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, which did use the motion controls, were pretty much perfect. 

13 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The bow in Skyward Sword didn't actually use the pointer at all; it used the gyroscope somewhat similarly to how it was done for Wii Sports Resort archery. I actually found it very weird that it did that, considering the bow controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, which did use the motion controls, were pretty much perfect. 

Oh right. Uh, well that's my theory out. I'm still a bit incredulous this will even happen though and if it does I expect without motion controls. The joycon just doesn't seem fit for the sort of set up Skyward Sword has, aiming aside.