Are S ranks supposed to be hard to get?

Mars of Aritia

Everyone always talks about getting the child units, yet I played through all 3 routes and the only S ranks I got were MU & Camilla (at chapter 27C), MU & Sakura (don't remember when, sometime late) & MU & Azura (22R). mostly because hes the only unit that gets access to facerubbing. (Though I would've got more if the royals could marry. Damn it IS, we want incest emblem, this game is already sleazy it wouldn't be out of place here). The closest anyone else got was Rinka & Saizo with an A (though strangely, I did seem to get quite a few same gender or family A's pretty easily (ryoma/saizo, rinka/oboro, camilla/leon, takumi/sakura). I keep units standing next to each other forever and they never gain anything. Are you supposed to plan these out from the beginning, and keep characters paired up together all the time, even if it's detrimental to strategy?

Getting the children is incredibly easy. Support ranks aren't all that hard to raise. Although Conquest specifically might have some challenges due to not having any maps (not counting DLC) to grind on. Usually it's best to keep the supports you want in mind and focus on them until completion. It's not really complex.

Normally I do some grinding to get the children around chapter 20. But yeah if you're playing normally you probably won't get any S ranks until end game or unless you always have those characters paired up. I know from my Birthright Lunatic run that my Oboro/Takumi and Hana/Hinata didn't get their S ranks until the last few chapters.

It is very easy once you know the mechanics. Then set it as an extra objective per map.

A pair needs the following Support Points (in total) to unlock Support Levels:
3 for C
7 for B
11 for A
16 for S

Each pair gets at most 3 Support Points per map and the surplus is discarded after a Support Level is achieved. Thus, each pair needs at least 7 maps to reach Support Level S.
1 map for C (3)
2 more maps for B (3+1) --- [3+3+1=7]
2 more maps for A (3+1) --- [7+3+1=11]
2 more maps for S (3+2) --- [11+3+2=16]

A pair gets 1 Support Point every two Attack Stance or Guard Stance interactions. Thus, you want to let them interact at least 6 times to earn the desired 3 Support Points.
A Trust Seed grants 1 Support Point, and so does any visit to Cornflakes. These are useful to unlock Support Level B or A after only one map.

In Conquest, Sophie, Ophelia and Nina can all be recruited by Chapter 12. No grinding, they all unlock normally. I do it every time.
Percy can be recruited by the end of Chapter 10 if Effie is her mama, for she and Arthur have Fast Support, which requires one less map. And a servant can father Kana just as fast (or faster), but I have never paired them.

The Tinder conversation of Cornflakes and Silas goes like this:
C in Chapter 7
C+ in Chapter 8
B in Invasion 1
B+ in Mozu's map
A in Chapter 9
A+ in Chapter 10
S in Chapter 11

Sophie would most likely appear a map earlier, for the possibility of Silas's visiting Cornflakes is higher at the beginning, when there are very few characters. But this is a worst-case scenario.
If Odin were the suitor, the progression would be exactly the same, but one map later, for he appears in Chapter 8.
You can play the extra maps in different order, just make sure to play Invasion 1 after a "longer" map where you have already got 3 Support Points, for the interactions during the invasion are surely fewer.

Edited by starburst
Reference: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-basics/

10 hours ago, DukeBox said:

Oh, I never played any of the extra maps, (except for 1x in B & R) just the story maps. The others just didn't seem to fit anywhere at all in the story. (and i was too lazy to change around my castle for a battle).

By "extra maps" I meant Invasion 1 and Mozu's, which one can play in different order. There are no grinding maps in Conquest.

• 3 weeks later...

A unit can only gain 3 support points with one other unit per map, and it'll be whichever on they have the most raw support units with. There's a limit on the spread of support units per map: 3, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, .... So if unit X builds supports with Y and Z, and exceeds 3 raw support points for both, then they will only actually get 3 support points with whichever one they got the most raw support points with. Think of how 3, 3 doesn't fit under 3, 2, 1, 0, ... If you intended to get 3 support points with Y then you would want to get the most raw support points with Y.

This came up for me with Odin on chapter 9. I built 3 raw support points between him and Azura but he didn't reach rank C with her after the map because there was someone else he built even more raw support points with. I ended up resetting and got him to rank C by just building extra support points with Azura.