No Magic + No Pairing up Challenge Run

windypanda1

So recently I beat Awakening Lunatic Mode but had a thoroughly unsatisfying experience with it since I just broke the game with 2 Nosferatanks in Robin and Morgan. This is similar to what happened in my first playthrough of Awakening, but with Aether Grandmaster Morgan instead.

So I thought to myself, “Awakening has a lot of potential to be good, so how can I improve my experience with it?” The two most unhealthy aspects of the game that came to mind were Magic and Pair ups. Magic is overpowered in this game since it melts just about everything, and Magic users can become 1-2 range juggernauts even without Nosferatu because they can snowball very easily and very hard. Also, Pair ups allow many units to surpass their limits and scale way out of control and break the game. 

I’ll be playing on Hard Classic, with no Grind and no DLC allowed.

With those 2 out of the way, I hope I can have a more satisfying play-through of Awakening! Do you guys think it’s a good idea? Bad idea? Anyone want to try this challenge with me? Let me know in the thread.

My Personal Ruleset: 

No Magic.

Magic Weapons (ex: Levin Sword, Bolt Axe) allowed with no Armsthrift.

No Pair-ups, even for movement purposes.

No Grind, No DLC allowed.

No Aptitude.

Full Deployment on every map.

Edited by windypanda1

Does magic also extend to magical weapons like Levin Swords?

Anyways, I do have some suggestions for what you could make the other magic users (aside from Robin and Morgan).

Miriel: Troubadour->War Cleric. Actually, this can also be done with the likes of Lissa (she starts as a Cleric, but can become a War Cleric), Maribelle, and Brady (same as Lissa). Besides, who said healing could break the game?

Ricken: Cavalier, and then a promotion of your choosing. He’ll keep his Mage hat, and so will Miriel and Laurent.

Tharja: Either Knight or Archer. Neither are the best classes, but it is better than nothing.

Henry: Barbarian->Berserker. He also has Thief, but no one can become a Barbarian/Berserker as their default class. Same goes for Laurent, no matter what parent he gets.

Another reminder that I really should get back to the no pairup to attack or defend Lunatic screenshot LP I was doing before. I will note that I worded it that way to allow for the movement options opened up by pairing, separating, and transferring. I find those movement options similar enough to the older rescue mechanics to still keep the feel of what you are going for.

9 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

Does magic also extend to magical weapons like Levin Swords?

Anyways, I do have some suggestions for what you could make the other magic users (aside from Robin and Morgan).

Miriel: Troubadour->War Cleric. Actually, this can also be done with the likes of Lissa (she starts as a Cleric, but can become a War Cleric), Maribelle, and Brady (same as Lissa). Besides, who said healing could break the game?

Ricken: Cavalier, and then a promotion of your choosing. He’ll keep his Mage hat, and so will Miriel and Laurent.

Tharja: Either Knight or Archer. Neither are the best classes, but it is better than nothing.

Henry: Barbarian->Berserker. He also has Thief, but no one can become a Barbarian/Berserker as their default class. Same goes for Laurent, no matter what parent he gets.

Hey thanks for the reclassing tips! I’ll definitely consider them through my run.

I’ll say magic weapons are allowed with no Armsthrift. Magic weapons like Levin Sword and Bolt Axe are rare in quantity and harder to utilize effectively so I don’t see it as broken as magic, but you could very well replicate the functionality of a mage with capped luck Armsthrift. 

Edited by windypanda1

27 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Another reminder that I really should get back to the no pairup to attack or defend Lunatic screenshot LP I was doing before. I will note that I worded it that way to allow for the movement options opened up by pairing, separating, and transferring. I find those movement options similar enough to the older rescue mechanics to still keep the feel of what you are going for.

No pair-ups on Lunatic Mode sounds really tough! The difficulty was clearly designed with pair-ups in mind. Although you’re right about the rescue part, I’ll just opt for not using pair-ups at all since it’s not reaaally the same thing imo.

Low manning in any Fire Emblem completely removes any challenge.

Try full-recruitment, no-grind, no pair-up, full deployment and deploy by lowest level on every map. That provides a decent challenge even on hard.

Edited by Johnnie

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

Low manning in any Fire Emblem completely removes any challenge.

Try full-recruitment, no-grind, no pair-up, full deployment and deploy by lowest level on every map. That provides a decent challenge even on hard.

Yes, I found low manning to make the game very easy in the mid-late game so I completely agree there. I’m not the type to grind anyways so I might as well just do the challenge on no-grind. I understand deploying by lowest level on every map would make the the game significantly more challenging but I’d rather bench units I don’t like using. Thanks for the suggestions!

3 hours ago, ChickenWings said:

I enjoy full deploy, no kids Lunatic runs. It's satisfying to see all the characters pull their weight!

Indeed. It’s quite sad that you have to challenge yourself to select everyone in your party, when the game was clearly designed to be played with full deployment (game recommends you to build a balanced party by letting weaker units fight). But the reality is that if you play thoughtlessly, the gap between strong and weak units widens more and more until it becomes harder to keep your teammates alive than actually beat the level. So I think full deployment challenge is a great idea!

Edited by windypanda1

41 minutes ago, windypanda1 said:

Indeed. It’s quite sad that you have to challenge yourself to select everyone in your party, when the game was clearly designed to be played with full deployment (game recommends you to build a balanced party by letting weaker units fight). But the reality is that if you play thoughtlessly, the gap between strong and weak units widen more and more until it becomes harder to keep your teammates alive than actually beat the level. So I think full deployment challenge is a great idea!

I don't think it's a bad thing if you can be creative about the challenges. It helps that unless you bought DLC, it's hard to grind in Lunatic (+).

I feel like the games are designed with full deployment in mind, even though that isn't necessarily optimal. A full deployment, full recruitment - including children - run forces you to use many characters you otherwise wouldn't and for longer. You also have to plan out your pairings from Chapter 1 and often can't shoot for optimal pairings so as to make room for the new recruits in later chapters.