blue lions run w/ characters I like - thoughts on bernadetta (+ some others) builds?

claire

maddening, not NG+

blue lions route

basically im doing a playthrough with characters i personally like and im trying to decide on classes, leveling routes, etc

the main person i'm stuck on is bernadetta, since i want to have at least one archer. HOWEVER,

i did some research and it only left me more indecisive, i read things about falcon knight, etc.

you'll also notice a lack of a dancer here. might fuck around and not have 1 again! maybe ill just give the avo+20 to felix?

if anyone has any skills they suggest, or leveling up/growth routes for certain units, i would love to hear it.

if you think my lineup is totally degenerate feel free to say that as well, i wont get offended, but i would really like to keep it something like this

we ken also talk on discord if u prefer

byleth - badonkadonks. ive been thinking of making her a mage killer. like an ingrid substitute. not sure if that's possible

dedue - warmaster*

dimitri - whatever unique class he gets in pt 2 i'd like to keep**

yuri - trickster

sylvain - wyvern lord*, ***

felix - swordmaster*

ashe - worthless femboy loli  APPLICATION DENIED

bernadetta - genuinely can't decide

lysithea - valkyrie****

constance - dark flier

marianne - holy knight

mercedes - bishop

hapi - gremory (i'd love a lot of advice on her since i adore her)

*i should get these people death blow right? is there anyone else i should add to this list?

**i like this class so even if it's not optimal i just kind of want to keep it

***regarding the thing with leveling up in cavalry classes reducing speed growths, what path should he take instead? recommended abilities for him? 

****lowkey just wanted to do something new here.

57 minutes ago, claire said:

marianne - holy knight

I would recommend against this, as Holy Knight is just bad.

57 minutes ago, claire said:

I would make her an archer because Encloser is neat (and she's the only unit that gets it aside from Khalid).

Edited by Shadow Mir

36 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would recommend against this, as Holy Knight is just bad.

I would make her an archer because Encloser is neat (and she's the only unit that gets it aside from Khalid).

Unfortunately Holy Knights are not cut out for what they are supposed to do. If you're looking for a hybrid mage then I would go for gremory. If you want Marianne to be a pure healer then bishop is the way to go.

Bernadetta as a Bow Knight definitely can work. With so much mobility and having Hit +20 to make sure Encloser hits or at least have a higher chance of hitting enemies and then freezing them into place is ideal to help you approach more safely. Bernie can also do a vengeance build if you want to capitalize on her personal ability. Yes you would have to have her be at least under half of her max health for the damage to matter but she can still be a great boss killer in that regard. Then there is the vantage + battalion wrath setup too

3 hours ago, claire said:

*i should get these people death blow right? is there anyone else i should add to this list?

You can't go wrong with Hit + 20, if you're struggling to hit things. Dedue can also learn Vengeance at C+ lances, but if he's already a War Master that's probably not super necessary.

***regarding the thing with leveling up in cavalry classes reducing speed growths, what path should he take instead? recommended abilities for him? 

Sylvain learns Swift Strikes, a brave combat art. The speed growth being reduced isn't a massive issue, though if you want to avoid it, jump into Brigand, then Wyvern Rider, then Wyvern Lord. He wants Lances at A rank to learn Swift Strikes, so if you want to use that you'll have to prioritise Axes, Lances and Flying (I haven't actually tried this on Maddening so I don't know how that'll turn out in practice). Alternatively he could end in Paladin to take the most advantage out of Swift Strikes, in which case just make sure to get Death Blow and then focus on Lances + Riding for the rest of the game. And Hit +20 is also something you can keep in mind.

ashe - worthless femboy loli  APPLICATION DENIED

It hurts, but it's true. Sniper can make basically any physical unit good, including Ashe, if you decide to use him.

Bow Knight, Paladin, or even Falcon Knight are solid options for her. Like Dedue, she learns Vengeance at C+ Lances, which can be used to deal big damage in combination with her personal skill. Bow Knight gives her extra utility on top of this with Encloser + the ability to shoot people really far away, Paladin offers the most straightforward path if you want her to spam Vengeance and nothing else, and Falcon Knight is basically Paladin but with wings.

you'll also notice a lack of a dancer here. might fuck around and not have 1 again! maybe ill just give the avo+20 to felix?

That works. You could also make Yuri your dancer instead of Trickster, because it's not a super great class, and Yuri can certainly put that avoid to use as well. Unless you just wanna use Trickster, in which case Felix or Yuri will still work well with Sword Avoid, regardless of class.

Edited by Anathaco

2 hours ago, claire said:

byleth - badonkadonks. ive been thinking of making her a mage killer. like an ingrid substitute. not sure if that's possible

dedue - warmaster*

yuri - trickster

sylvain - wyvern lord*, ***

felix - swordmaster*

marianne - holy knight

hapi - gremory (i'd love a lot of advice on her since i adore her)

**i like this class so even if it's not optimal i just kind of want to keep it

****lowkey just wanted to do something new here.

For Wyvern Lord Sylvain, I'd recommend going Noble ->Fighter->Brigand->Warrior/Wyvern Knight (your choice)->Wyvern Lord. Just note for the advanced classes, Warrior will give him Wrath while Wyvern Knight gives him earlier access to flight. You can do both if you want, and switch depending on the map. You might want to give him the item that increases job mastery faster.

For the Death Blow Boys (Felix, Dedue, and Sylvain), Dedue and Sylvain should naturally learn it during their class paths, as they'll both most likely have to go through Brigand. As for Felix, if you're end goal is Swordmaster, you could fit Brigand in there if you like. I would get it because why not. He doesn't have too much trouble killing things, but this is Maddening so we'll get it.

For Bernie, it sounds like you're torn between Bow Knight and Falcon Knight. Both are fantastic classes that she will do well in. Funnily enough, those are both mage killer classes. So make Bernie whatever you don't make Byleth. 

Alternate Bow Knight selection: Felix. It's his best class imo. And then Bylass and Bernie can be Falcon Knights.

For Hapi, she's a magical girl so she's gonna need a magic class. Her spell list is all Dark Magic, so a magic class that supports this would be good. To my knowledge, Valkyrie, Dark Knight, and Gremory give dark magic a boost in either additional spell uses and/or Dark Tomefaire. However, dark magic is quite potent and Hapi's magic growth is good enough to put her in another magic class like Warlock or Dark Flier. Gremory is good because her faith list is pretty good as well. Valkyrie also boosts faith magic IIRC.

lysithea - valkyrie****

Lysithea is good in everything magical, but I can really back Valkyrie for her. Its mastery fixes the hit issues she can run into on Maddening, and it means she has an insane amount of range from quite early on. Mv +1 from Riding is also really nice to get eventually.

hapi - gremory

You've got bishop Mercedes already, and valkyrie Lysithea. So unless you're really desperate for Hapi to have 2 uses of Warp instead of 1, I'd say make her a Dark Flier. The class makes best use of Banshee (which is a great spell), and as said above, her mag is good enough to not need a Tomefaire. That said, I'd also have her spend a bit of time in Bishop/Gremory just for some mag growth (IIRC, Dark Flier's growths are crap). 

Edited by haarhaarhaar

Having recently played BL Maddening I would definite recommend a Flyer Byleth. Even though it goes without saying how good Flyers are.

Bishop is pretty whatever honestly. You can just use Gremory or Holy Knight with a Healing staff and get good heals. Of your characters it wouldn't hurt to make Mercedes a Dancer. Plenty of your other units can heal if she's busy dancing.

Constance's Hit Rate is kinda low so either getting Hit+20 or Uncanny Blow would good.

Wyvern Lord Sylvain with Ingrid as a back-up sounds good.

hello everyone! thanks so much for the responses. i read all of them to the best of my ability and this is what I've come up with now.

i've decided to drop constance

i'm trying to understand growth rates, abilities, etc., so i appreciate your patience

yellow = unsure, green = i think that's good, red = i am lost!!!

as usual feel free to comment on any glaringly obvious flaws or even small things you personally believe would be better

i did try to look for growth rates on the wikipedia but they were not there, so most of my decisions are based on the mastery ability, if anyone is perplexed by my thought process. i also read somewhere that bernadetta has bad strength growths, and i don't know if sniper would make that worse. please advise!

1d79550d7ec16cb4826f87a4251ce3fd.png

Edited by claire

18 hours ago, claire said:

as usual feel free to comment on any glaringly obvious flaws or even small things you personally believe would be better

i did try to look for growth rates on the wikipedia but they were not there, so most of my decisions are based on the mastery ability, if anyone is perplexed by my thought process. i also read somewhere that bernadetta has bad strength growths, and i don't know if sniper would make that worse. please advise!

1. SF has the stat growths and class growths here.
  2. So you've decided on Falcon Knight!Bylass, Bow Knight!Felix, and Bow Knight!Bernie! How exciting! I'm glad you took my alternate idea of making Felix a bow knight into consideration. I like him as a swordmaster/assassin, but he just shines as a bow knight since bows are really good in this game. For his Intermediate class, I would pick either Archer and/or Brigand. Archer gives him bow range +1 which is immediately useful. Brigand increases his STR growth by 10% (so it will be 65%) and gives him Death Blow, which will be useful in the future. Felix has high enough STR and his crest procs enough to where he will function just fine without going through Brigand, but his STR will be pretty good. Can't go wrong either way you choose.
  3. Byleth may not have an Advanced Class if you go Pegasus Knight. Because of the proficiencies Falcon Knight requires, it's hard to find an advanced class that meshes well with a Pegasus knight's interests. If you want her to go through another class to learn a skill, you can stick with Enlightened One or go Mercenary.
  4. Paladin is fine for Dimitri, it makes him a tad bulkier, which is good for this team composition. He's going to be one of your frontliners and a tank, so having access to Aegis will be in later levels.
  5. Sniper is a fantastic class in this game, so you definitely want Bernie and Felix to go through it.
  6. I'm surprised you picked Swordmaster for Yuri, but I like experimentation. It'll help him out as a dancer, as he'll be able to avoid enemies better.
  7. Remember some levels require 12 people! I count 11 here. So you may not want to drop Coco completely. She'll probably serve as an adjutant mostly except for the select few chapters that deploys 12. 
Edited by Dandy Druid
formatting

hello everyone! thanks so much for the responses. i read all of them to the best of my ability and this is what I've come up with now.

i've decided to drop constance

i'm trying to understand growth rates, abilities, etc., so i appreciate your patience

yellow = unsure, green = i think that's good, red = i am lost!!!

The thing about Hapi being a Dark Flier is that she won't benefit from the class. It offers black tomefaire. She only has Dark Magic. You could try making her a Dark Knight or Gremory instead since Dark Knight 7 move and dark tomefaire whereas gremory offers double uses of all magic. Assuming you're playing this on maddening mode you can also squeeze in a second intermediate class for a number of characters.

Byleth for example could go from Pegaus Knight to Wyvern Rider if you want to keep the flight access you get starting from level 10. Sure you have to train in Axes up to a minimum of C+ while working on your flying rank but it's worth it since Wyvern Rider offers a nice strength growth bonus.

As far as other recommendations, the lord class is nice for leveling up your battalions really quickly but there is a method you can do that doesn't need the lord class entirely. Just focus on Authority primarily. You can also focus on getting bows up to rank D+ if you want him to qualify for the archer class. Hit +20 always helps. Then from there just keep jacking up authority until it reaches rank A. You will not regret it. Then if you want to keep him as a Great Lord or Paladin afterwards that's perfectly fine. Both take advantage of Lancefaire.

I personally like using Dedue as a Grappler before heading into warmaster. Though if you're going to do warrior for him, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you get him vantage from the mercenary class so he can take full advantage of vantage + wrath as a warmaster since he'll already have a +20 crit off the bat. But I like personally like grappler more since it offers tomebreaker and even if you master warmaster, you can always go back to grappler to keep fierce iron fist. 

Sylvain looks pretty good as well. Though same as dedue if you want to take advantage of wrath I would advise getting vantage. Otherwise, I think that Wyvern RIder would be better for Sylvain. Just be sure to also get him Hit +20 as his dex growth isn't the greatest.

Felix, same as Sylvain except I think the rest of his path looks really good. On the side if you want Felix to get an additional combat art, you could in theory either get reposition or healing focus pending on what other role you want to give him. But yea, Sniper or Bow Knight looks really good on him.

Yuri as a Dancer is fine. He can use his Fetters of Dromti to dance then move again

Your path way for Bernie looks good as well

Lysithea looks fine as a Valkyrie

Marianne and Mercedes looks fine as well. Though I would advise giving them both fiendish blow in case you want them to use their black magic.

That's pretty much it from me

2 minutes ago, Barren said:

The thing about Hapi being a Dark Flier is that she won't benefit from the class. It offers black tomefaire. She only has Dark Magic. You could try making her a Dark Knight or Gremory instead since Dark Knight 7 move and dark tomefaire whereas gremory offers double uses of all magic. 

I think Hapi's a good enough mage to not need Dark Tomefaire, and flying is an advantage that at least matches a Tomefaire in utility. It's not like Dark Knight or Gremory are bad choices, but Lysithea and Mercedes are kinda fulfilling the niches of those classes already in Valkyrie and Bishop. Seeing as those two are also there, it makes sense to give Hapi a different magical niche IMO.

1 minute ago, haarhaarhaar said:

I think Hapi's a good enough mage to not need Dark Tomefaire, and flying is an advantage that at least matches a Tomefaire in utility. It's not like Dark Knight or Gremory are bad choices, but Lysithea and Mercedes are kinda fulfilling the niches of those classes already in Valkyrie and Bishop. Seeing as those two are also there, it makes sense to give Hapi a different magical niche IMO.

And that's true. Having magic and flight does do her wonders. I'll give you that. I personally like to take advantage of a weapon faire if I can under the right circumstances. But I won't deny that Dark Flier Hapi is an interesting option. Being able to fly around and use Warp, Physic, Rescue, etc is pretty vital since it will allow you to move again while ignoring terrain. 

5 hours ago, claire said:

First of all, this was neatly done!

Second of all, Three Houses is pretty flexible in terms of what classes you can go into or out of. So that fact does color what I think you can do with these characters.

Byleth: Only real suggestion I have here is to take up Soldier mastery to get Reposition. That combat art with a high-movement class is quite great. Speed +2 is not bad at all, though.

Dimitri: If you need him to, he can be a Cavalier for better movement in the Intermediate classes instead of a Lord. Other than that, it seems good.

Sylvain: Again, Wyvern Rider can be used in the Advanced class section to have better movement. Soldier mastery will also suit Sylvain well, with Reposition and all.

Felix: I’d say what you have is good, aside from Intermediate classes. Going into Brigand and Archer for Death Blow and Hit +20 is my suggestion.

Dedue: I second going into Grappler between Brigand and War Master instead of Warrior. Aside from that, it’s good.

Yuri: I’m not sure if Swordmaster will always be necessary, but it should be interchangeable with Dancer.

Bernie: Again, what you have is good. There is a minimum of D+ Axes to get into Brigand for Death Blow, though, so you can try getting that, too. Pegasus Knight should also work if you need flight.

Lysithea: I personally prefer just going straight into Valkyrie and never returning, but you can say how it goes later.

Hapi: Given earlier comments, I see nothing wrong with this.

Marianne: I’d definitely go into Mage to get Fiendish Blow. Not mush else I can say, though.

Mercedes: There is literally nothing wrong with this. Maybe you can go into Mage for Fiendish Blow, just in case? I dunno.

As for a twelfth member, Annette and her rallies are the first to come to my mind. I’d say make her a Dark Knight, as I assume Hapi will already be using the Nuvelle Flier Battalion to boost her magic. Dark Knight should have good enough movement to really use those rallies well, and should also be good enough to use the likes of Crusher or any axe with Bolt Axe to one-shot some foes (or take out others after some chip damage).

all right, made some more changes

purple = i may or may not go into these classes, i want to see how the timing of everything goes

bottom are extra skills i'll have the characters get by mastering another class

decided to keep dimitri as lord instead of a different intermediate class bc if im going to master archery as well, i think lord has the same growths but better

if im understanding how growths work properly that is. if he is a lord first and then an archer it may be the same result in the end (?) that kind of makes more sense as im writing this.

oh well i'll be doing both regardless

i think the st. cethleann statue makes class mastery faster so i will be investing in that too

as for the 12 characters needed... ur so right. i spent time on a whole spreadsheet but didn't count to 12 properly. i'll either do constance or anna. thoughts or ideas? i think the next update will be the finalized one. almost there

(this one might have more mistakes than the others because i didnt double check it)

9f781b8381a4fbf4e8f32bd246fbbc6f.png

I would have Lysithea take the certification test for Warlock just in case it gives her a stat boost. Warlock has higher base stats than Dark Flier and Valkyrie, so get her the stat boost and then change her class to Valkyrie.

Constance is a bit harder to pin down, since, unless you’d like to double up on classes (not a bad idea, though), 3 of her best options have been taken up. I’d say I have two more classes in mind: Dark Knight and War Cleric.

Dark Knight is easily the safer option of the two, as it requires less investment and effort to build effectively. Mounted Black Tomefaire should be quite nice, although she’ll need the Caduceus Staff or Thyrsus to have more than 2 range on her non-Bolting spells, which she’d have for free as a Valkyrie. You can still go into Valkyrie on the way to Dark Knight, though, and also mastering it.

War Cleric would probably be more fun to see in action, though. It does require A-rank Gauntlets to really work, but she at least has Brawling as a budding talent, so she can pick up Mystic Blow early on. Progression would basically be the Mage/Priest route until she has everything she needs to go into War Cleric to stop yappin’ and start slappin’.

understood, i will be taking lysithea into warlock for sure then, just probably not master it (unless...?)

war cleric?? say less. i have been DYING for a chance to try war cleric but i did not know where to begin 

thanks for all the help guys , im finally done and i feel so organized for the first time in my life!!wow..thumb.png.e8431e4b484525106deb7908eec6d7b1.png