Anyone else feel these are by far the most boring CYL winning units we've gotten so far

Jotari

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Nothing stopping IS to make seasonal axe user Edelgards.

Technically yes, but I doubt they're oblivious to the fact all the Edies are Axes, and most of them are Armour.

I wonder if that is the reason why Ike has so few alts despite well... Being Ike

Edited by Troykv

24 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Say hello to Adrestian Acoustics: Edelgard, a refresher Edelgard placed on a modern music banner, with her specifically going in the "heavy metal rocker with a guitar" direction. ...Because "axe" can be used to describe an electric guitar? -Forced joke I know.:P:

4 hours ago, Troykv said:

Technically yes, but I doubt they're oblivious to the fact all the Edies are Axes, and most of them are Armour.

I wonder if that is the reason why Ike has so few alts despite well... Being Ike

Well if they weren't, why did they give us number four here >.>

Appearance wise, yes: kinda boring. I get excited for Brave Heroes because they receive a never seen take, either by borrowing from a close character, or a development not seen in their canon games. These CYL winners aren’t nothing they couldn’t be in their base game, be it appearance, class, and even weapons

I still really liked this year's CYL banner, because Three Houses, but in my opinion IS didn't even have to reach that hard to make this banner 10x as unique. Making Claude a red bow and Lysithea a colorless mage would have solved most of my issues with the banner, which is that all of the CYL units' alts are the same color as their originals.

Art-wise, though, they knocked it out of the park, which is honestly my favorite part of CYL. I don't really care that they're just wearing their second tier post-skip outfits/master class outfit for Lysithea, since they look amazing.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

I'm betting that the Winter seasonal banner this year will be dominated by Three Houses, and if Edelgard appears as another axe armor instead of a red mage armor or something I will literally scream.

When I saw Lysithea as a red tome, I got worried. When I saw Claude with a bow, I outright said "Oh no." They had so many options and they went with the most boring plausible.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, Ice Dragon said:

"Brave banner" is a fan-made term.

The first "Brave banner" was literally called "Brave Heroes." The second was "Arrival of the Brave" and the third was "Brave Echoes." That's not exactly "fan-made."

23 hours ago, Florete said:

They had so many options and they went with the most boring plausible.

I know, out of the hundreds of potential characters who could have won CYL, many of which aren't in the game or likely to be added soon, they chose the TH leaders and another TH character who was bound to be added soon (and was). Lysithea gets partial credit since she technically wasn't in yet, but unlike Veronica her brave version isn't a new character in the catalog.

Edited by Baldrick

9 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

I know, out of the hundreds of potential characters who could have won CYL, many of which aren't in the game or likely to be added soon, they chose the TH leaders and another TH character who was bound to be added soon (and was).

... We, the fan base, voted to have the three house leaders win CYL (and Lysithea too, although I personally suspect she was botted). What most of us are upset about (or, at least, disappointed about) are, like Diovani Bressan just said, their weapon types, movement types, and skills. 

6 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

... We, the fan base, voted to have the three house leaders win CYL

I didn't vote for them. What you mean is that the three house leaders were forced upon us, whether we like it or not.

their weapon types, movement types, and skills. 

That's the case for every unit in the game. We never have any control over it.

Edited by Baldrick

12 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

... We, the fan base, voted to have the three house leaders win CYL (and Lysithea too, although I personally suspect she was botted). What most of us are upset about (or, at least, disappointed about) are, like Diovani Bressan just said, their weapon types, movement types, and skills. 

The skills aren't that bad actually (well exempt weapons from being skills). Though poor old Claude doesn't get a Almyrian Unity or something B skill 😞

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Though poor old Claude doesn't get a Almyrian Unity or something B skill 😞

Only the first place for each gender get prf skills. It's interesting, if Claude had finished 3rd, he would probably have won next year, in exchange for waiting a year, he would have gotten a prf skill and been stronger. Exactly the kind of scheme he would go for.

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The skills aren't that bad actually (well exempt weapons from being skills). Though poor old Claude doesn't get a Almyrian Unity or something B skill 😞

That's true, I was just echoing Diovanni Bressan's comment. Some people have complained about Brave Edelgard's weapon being too similar to L!Edelgard's Armored Stride and Brave Dimitri's damage reduction being too much, though I honestly think both are fine. 

36 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

That's the case for every unit in the game. We never have any control over it.

Again, I was echoing the concerns that were discussed earlier in the thread. I agree that we have almost no control over what IS comes up with (maybe indirect control in how we shape the meta, but that's minimal).

5 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

if Claude had finished 3rd, he would probably have won next year, in exchange for waiting a year, he would have gotten a prf skill and been stronger. Exactly the kind of scheme he would go for.

Marth was just too nice and insisted he go first. In fact, that's what Marth's been doing for the past 4 CYL's. He really needs to get a backbone.

23 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

Again, I was echoing the concerns that were discussed earlier in the thread.

And I am highlighting the irony of those concerns.

23 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

I agree that we have almost no control over what IS comes up with (maybe indirect control in how we shape the meta, but that's minimal).

And what little control we do have, we squander.

1 minute ago, Baldrick said:

And I am highlighting the irony of those concerns.

1 minute ago, Baldrick said:

And what little control we do have, we squander.

Oh. Well, then, I agree with you. It is pretty funny that we gripe about units being too broken or samey and then go on to use those units the most anyway. Human nature, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Lorenz can get Golden Deer Rule when he's added, so we can have the complete set.

Of course. Lorenz is the rightful ruler of the Leicester Alliance, after all. In fact, why not retroactively give it to Speedo Lorenz, the most noble of all the Lorenz's in FEH?

3 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I didn't vote for them. What you mean is that the three house leaders were forced upon us, whether we like it or not.

Just because you didn't vote for them doesn't mean they were "forced upon" us. The collective "we" that is the FEH player-base did, in fact, want these characters.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

The first "Brave banner" was literally called "Brave Heroes." The second was "Arrival of the Brave" and the third was "Brave Echoes." That's not exactly "fan-made."

While the names of the individual banners are official, there is (at least, to my knowledge) no official term used for the series of banners, thus making any term for them fan-made.

A pattern that is not fan-made can still have a fan-made name based on that pattern.

And regardless of how official that particular name is, my point still stands that the fact that they started dropping the word "brave" from unit epithets ever since the second banner and have now dropped the word "brave" from the banner title shows that the word "brave" is not integral to the banners' identity.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

While the names of the individual banners are official, there is (at least, to my knowledge) no official term used for the series of banners, thus making any term for them fan-made.

A pattern that is not fan-made can still have a fan-made name based on that pattern.

In the most literal sense, you're correct, but calling it "fan-made" when the term was used officially for three years in a row seems rather disingenuous. It's the CYL banner regardless, that's pretty concrete, and the word "Brave" is associated with it for good reason.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And regardless of how official that particular name is, my point still stands that the fact that they started dropping the word "brave" from unit epithets ever since the second banner and have now dropped the word "brave" from the banner title shows that the word "brave" is not integral to the banners' identity.

The word "Brave" has been dropped from the banner title, but isn't out of use completely; the tactics drills that came with A New Future are called "Brave Eagle & Lion" and "Brave Schemer & Prodigy."

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

In the most literal sense, you're correct, but calling it "fan-made" when the term was used officially for three years in a row seems rather disingenuous. It's the CYL banner regardless, that's pretty concrete, and the word "Brave" is associated with it for good reason.

It's used officially as the names of the individual banners, not as the name of the series of related banners. As far as I'm aware, none of the series of related banners have names in any official capacity (excluding names used in internal files).

This is no different than the fact that we use the terms "Farfetched Heroes banner" and "Fallen Heroes banner" to refer to the series of banners (and their members) that share the same themes as their namesakes. The names of the namesake banners are official, but the names we gave to the series are not.

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's probably more because they realized using brave as an adjective would start to get really contrived after a few years.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This is no different than the fact that we use the terms "Farfetched Heroes banner" and "Fallen Heroes banner" to refer to the series of banners (and their members) that share the same themes as their namesakes. The names of the namesake banners are official, but the names we gave to the series are not.

Fallen Heroes is a fan name for those sort of banners too, right? Can't be assed to look it up now, but I'm somewhat sure only the first one was called Fallen Heroes.

Edited by Jotari

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Fallen Heroes is a fan name for those sort of banners too, right? Can't be assed to look it up now, but I'm somewhat sure only the first one was called Fallen Heroes.

The first was "Fallen Heroes". The second was "Darkness Within". The third was "Dark Burdens".

4 hours ago, Florete said:

Just because you didn't vote for them doesn't mean they were "forced upon" us. The collective "we" that is the FEH player-base did, in fact, want these characters.

"whether we like it or not"