- Flayn
- Ashe
- Felix
- Leonie
- Alois
- Linhardt
- Ferdinand
- Shamir

Sad that I had to leave a few off of the list, but oh well. I did not include the lords because they kind of go without saying.

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I never understood why people like Felix so much myself. He's really nothing but a big asshole who takes his problems out on others and doesn't seem to care to grow out of that habit. Once or twice, he does have a point, I admit, but most of the time he is needlessly rude to others, particularly Mercedes and Ingrid. Hell, he's downright sexist to the latter. And to explain his attitude, he has...daddy issues? Really? Yes, he's mourning Glenn too, but his hate for Rodrigue and how he views stuff like that seems to get more focus. Also, another thing that bugs me about him is how much he hates chivalry and denounces anybody who supports it, like Ashe. I personally like chivalry.

Some people claim Sylvain is the asshole, and he is kind of that way towards women, but only women and only because he believes they'd just treat him no better in return. Behind that, he's a really cool dude and has legit reason to behave the way he does when you consider several factors from his backstory (his brother repeatedly tried to kill him, for instance). Plus, how can people not like his married endings? He's the sweetest husband and father! And as a bonus, he's hot. :3

But yay for Claude and Sylvain love! Glad you seem to like them about as much as I do! ^^

I'm pretty much of the opposite opinion!

Felix pretty much hates chivalry when it becomes an excuse to commit atrocities, and he'll go full ***hole if you push that button. See his Dedue C support, and Ingrid's B when she debates what the correct choice in war is. Whereas with Ashe, aspiring to the truest definition of chivalry in Three Houses, Felix merely cautions him to not let it blind him. Anyway, I just think Felix is full of down-to-earth wisdom and sadly cannot communicate in a healthy manner.

On the other hand, I think Sylvain is a piece of *hit. He's well written (his interaction with Dedue, I love it), and I'm glad he's there as a character, but he is by far the worst "good" person of the crew. Giving women hope only to shatter it, time and time again, that's just downright cruel. I can't think of another playable character in the Fire Emblem games I've played that builds people up and then simply shrugs when the jig is up.

I'm not crazy about flirty characters in general, but at least the others don't promise the world as if they were handing out candy.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

As someone who has both Sylvain and Felix in their top ten and thinks they're both very well-written characters... they're both kinda assholes, in different ways. Sylvain's assholish behaviour isn't entirely limited to women incidentally (although "only" being an asshole to 50% of the population would still be pretty wretched even if this were the case), the best example being how he fakes that he's dying as joke in his Felix A+ support.

Both of them have good reasons to behave the way they do which boils down to the trauma each has suffered (in Sylvain's case, fear that he is only valued for his crest both by his family and by any potential romantic partners; in Felix's, the loss of his brother and the feeling that his friends worship a culture of violence and death) but it doesn't actually excuse the behaviour. You can still cheer for them to grow and get better (not that it happens in all of their supports in either case) while acknowledging that they have some issues and that's what makes them human. Still, I'm not trying to change your reaction; I think they're both characters who can be very offputting because their cruel behaviour resonantes as all to real for some players.

And my stance is simply that I believe serious society-driven self-confidence issues and dealing with a brother who wants you fucking dead are kind of worse than hating your dad's ideals. So I can understand Sylvain's assholery quite a bit more than Felix's. Especially since I've got one serious thing in common with the latter. My brother is dead too. But you don't see me taking my problems over it out on others. That's all, really.

Also, Felix doesn't seem to be offputting for many people at all? I for some reason see far more hate for Sylvain.

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I never understood why people like Felix so much myself. He's really nothing but a big asshole who takes his problems out on others and doesn't seem to care to grow out of that habit. Once or twice, he does have a point, I admit, but most of the time he is needlessly rude to others, particularly Mercedes and Ingrid. Hell, he's downright sexist to the latter. And to explain his attitude, he has...daddy issues? Really? Yes, he's mourning Glenn too, but his hate for Rodrigue and how he views stuff like that seems to get more focus. Also, another thing that bugs me about him is how much he hates chivalry and denounces anybody who supports it, like Ashe. I personally like chivalry.

For why I think Felix is a compelling character (Spoilers on Felix’s backstory)

Spoiler

The thing that bugs you about him is actually a good reason why, at least I myself, like him. The kingdom of Faerghus is referred to by the game on several occasions as an honorable land of knights or something like that, and in the house you see this with Dimitri, Ashe, and Ingrid. Dedue is an embodiment of this philosophy but doesn’t outright say anything about it, he’s just super loyal to Dimitri, saying he’s willing to die for him and stuff. All of the Blue Lions are raised in an environment where knighthood is revered from an early age without any secondary opinions (with the exception of maybe Mercedes since she was raised in the Empire).

This is all in stark contrast to Felix Hugo Fraldarius, who hates knighthood and chivalry. He was very close with his brother, Glenn, who upped and died on him, upholding those ideals, but Felix didn’t think it a fair trade off. And yet all around him people were praising his brother for dying. Not cool. So naturally he disagreed, and sure he could’ve been less rude, but from his perspective, people are promoting death just so some lord can be happy, when the family is heartbroken. I think it’s great that he provides a very different out look then the rest of his house. I don’t think he’s ever trying to be an asshole to anyone besides Dimitri and Ingrid, he’s just very focused and no nonsense, without a real filter. You can’t blame him though, it’s implied his brother’s death was pretty traumatic, in his A support with Ingrid he says he works so hard to become strong to protect people he cares about. He also says to Ingrid “I know not to heedlessly obey orders. I know not to romanticize blind obedience. My brother taught me to think for myself.” showing he just has different ideals to everyone around him, making him a very compelling member of the Blue Lions. And as far as how rude he is to Dimitri, he is pretty sure the dude would love to be a serial killer, so there’s that. And even then with how respectful the knightly people are trying to be honorable or whatever, it still is a nice contrast.  besides he’s also hot

yes I used that as an excuse to write a whole essay on Felix, I have no regrets

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And my stance is simply that I believe serious society-driven self-confidence issues and dealing with a brother who wants you fucking dead are kind of worse than hating your dad's ideals.

It’s not just his dads, it’s ideals that led to horrible things he’s seen and happened being revered by everyone, as is the Kingdom’s culture

14 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

For why I think Felix is a compelling character (Spoilers on Felix’s backstory)

Hide contents

The thing that bugs you about him is actually a good reason why, at least I myself, like him. The kingdom of Faerghus is referred to by the game on several occasions as an honorable land of knights or something like that, and in the house you see this with Dimitri, Ashe, and Ingrid. Dedue is an embodiment of this philosophy but doesn’t outright say anything about it, he’s just super loyal to Dimitri, saying he’s willing to die for him and stuff. All of the Blue Lions are raised in an environment where knighthood is revered from an early age without any secondary opinions (with the exception of maybe Mercedes since she was raised in the Empire).

This is all in stark contrast to Felix Hugo Fraldarius, who hates knighthood and chivalry. He was very close with his brother, Glenn, who upped and died on him, upholding those ideals, but Felix didn’t think it a fair trade off. And yet all around him people were praising his brother for dying. Not cool. So naturally he disagreed, and sure he could’ve been less rude, but from his perspective, people are promoting death just so some lord can be happy, when the family is heartbroken. I think it’s great that he provides a very different out look then the rest of his house. I don’t think he’s ever trying to be an asshole to anyone besides Dimitri and Ingrid, he’s just very focused and no nonsense, without a real filter. You can’t blame him though, it’s implied his brother’s death was pretty traumatic, in his A support with Ingrid he says he works so hard to become strong to protect people he cares about. He also says to Ingrid “I know not to heedlessly obey orders. I know not to romanticize blind obedience. My brother taught me to think for myself.” showing he just has different ideals to everyone around him, making him a very compelling member of the Blue Lions. And as far as how rude he is to Dimitri, he is pretty sure the dude would love to be a serial killer, so there’s that. And even then with how respectful the knightly people are trying to be honorable or whatever, it still is a nice contrast.  besides he’s also hot

yes I used that as an excuse to write a whole essay on Felix, I have no regrets

Thing is, Felix is completely forgetting one of the most obvious things about joining any military, regardless of what kind (knights, soldiers, whatever): no matter what, you're risking your life. You're vowing to lay your life for your country. It's not fair that Glenn went out to fight for his country and ended up being killed? Sad as it is to lose someone close to you, this is the reality of war. I feel like Felix just completely ignores that.

I've had both my stepfather and mother be deployed. Neither have died during it, but if one or both had, I'd be grieving and mourning, but I could take a little comfort knowing that they died serving their country. Much better way to go than, say, my brother who put a gun to his head and caused all of us a lot of pain.

12 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

It’s not just his dads, it’s ideals that led to horrible things he’s seen and happened being revered by everyone, as is the Kingdom’s culture

Then why are his complaints focused only on Rodrigue? I haven't seen him complain to Gilbert or any of the knights of Seiros.

23 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

See his Dedue C support, and Ingrid's B when she debates what the correct choice in war is.

I have seen those support chains, and all I see there are Felix bullying them and in Ingrid's case, being sexist. "Go find a husband." Seriously? 😕

23 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

Whereas with Ashe, aspiring to the truest definition of chivalry in Three Houses, Felix merely cautions him to not let it blind him.

Cautions him? Again, this is bullying to me, not "cautioning." And then he basically yells at Mercedes for simply trying to help him.

Giving women hope only to shatter it, time and time again, that's just downright cruel.

It's also cruel to use someone just for breeding until a kid with a certain characteristic pops out, which is the fate Sylvain was implied to be heading for.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then why are his complaints focused only on Rodrigue? I haven't seen him complain to Gilbert or any of the knights of Seiros.

They aren’t. He tears into Dedue and Ingrid. 

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Cautions him? Again, this is bullying to me, not "cautioning."

Really? He takes a pretty casual, supportive tone in their B support imo

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I've had both my stepfather and mother be deployed. Neither have died during it, but if one or both had, I'd be grieving and mourning, but I could take a little comfort knowing that they died serving their country. Much better way to go than, say, my brother who put a gun to his head and caused all of us a lot of pain.

But then he had to deal with people like their dad essentially celebrating his death for being honorable and stuff. He just thinks dying isn’t a fair trade off for your country. And as someone who’s had a loved one attempt suicide, I feel for you. I’m sorry that happened to you. It sucks a lot.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Thing is, Felix is completely forgetting one of the most obvious things about joining any military, regardless of what kind (knights, soldiers, whatever): no matter what, you're risking your life. You're vowing to lay your life for your country. It's not fair that Glenn went out to fight for his country and ended up being killed? Sad as it is to lose someone close to you, this is the reality of war. I feel like Felix just completely ignores that.

I don’t think it’s an inherent death in the military that he’s opposed to, he doesn’t like how people are celebrated for dying like that, or how knights will “blindly obey” commands, like ones that get them killed.

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I have seen those support chains, and all I see there are Felix bullying them and in Ingrid's case, being sexist. "Go find a husband." Seriously? 😕

Yeah okay, that one’s inexcusable >~<

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Not enough supports, maybe? Felix essentially boils things down to life and death. Why sugarcoat something terrible? To him, lives are more important than any cause they may serve in life or death. In such a world as Fodlan, he's going to be a miserable person and a miserable person to be around because of it.

I mean, that's just one aspect of a conversation that has layers, imo. Yeah, maybe it's a revolting thing, and it is, but surely there's more to those supports than a few choice comments.

And that's just one sexist comment, versus a lot of what Sylvain does. I wouldn't hold it against the rest of Felix's character. Ingrid did push his anti chivalry button, and he responded in anger. It's not something he truly believes Ingrid should do (edit: being a housewife - added for clarity).

Cautions him? Again, this is bullying to me, not "cautioning." And then he basically yells at Mercedes for simply trying to help him.

Ashe held his own and brought his own views to the table, ones that Felix couldn't completely refute. While his treatment of Mercedes was totally unfair, it is quite rude to be helped only because you remind someone of somebody else.

I'm not trying to excuse Felix's actions, as there are better ways to communicate his views, but they are certainly worth listening to. It's like having an argument with someone. Sometimes people are downright rude, but once you both have time to cool off you can take the time to analyze what was said and grow from it.

Edited by Slyfox

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Some people claim Sylvain is the asshole, and he is kind of that way towards women, but only women and only because he believes they'd just treat him no better in return. Behind that, he's a really cool dude and has legit reason to behave the way he does when you consider several factors from his backstory (his brother repeatedly tried to kill him, for instance). Plus, how can people not like his married endings? He's the sweetest husband and father! And as a bonus, he's hot. :3

Just to throw my metaphorical hat in the ring here:

I love Felix as much as I do because he's a big asshole who takes his problems out on others and doesn't seem to care to grow out of that habit. Tbf he kinda does over the course of Azure Moon- not so much in other routes, which are basically his bad endings, in that he never lets go of his hatred for his kingdom's ideals until everyone's dead. But he grows to accept Dimitri's attempts to atone, and thus his brother's sacrifice, and even manages to get past his disagreements with other cast members and try to bond with them more.

He pushes others away because they interrupt his training, which is his main way of coping with Glenn's loss, by using his grief as a desire to get stronger so he doesn't have to lose anybody like that again. he pushes his fellow Blue Lions away because their adherence to the values that got his brother killed annoys and sickens him, and he pushes Dimitri away because he despises what became of Dimitri after the Tragedy, and regrets the fact that Glenn died for him, only for Dimitri to change almost completely. A couple of his supports also imply that Glenn was also abrupt, blunt and curt, so his attitude is in a way an idealisation of that- he was apparently a bit of a crybaby before. 

The fact that he's as much of an asshole as he is is why people like him, as far as I know. Yes, his methods of grieving aren't perfect, and end up pushing away people who could help him, but given what happened to him it does make sense, and many people can react the same way. The usual schtick of "he's flawed and that's what makes him human". Even if you disagree with his actions (like what he said to Ingrid in their support, that was... yeah), I think they make a lot of sense given what he's been through. To me personally, I might even react in a similar way. But overall, Felix is a prime example of the fact that characters can be well-written characters and still be unlikable to a lot of people.

Damn, this was a mess. Apologies for this being so bad to read.

Anyway, I also like Sylvain a lot (if this was a top 11 or 12 he would have made it in mine), for much the same reasons. His actions are understandable given his backstory, but his reasoning is pretty flawed and cynical, and his actions are still pretty cruel to a lot of people. But then again, that's the appeal to many people, myself included.

Although they didn't make my top 10 favourite characters, I find that Felix and Sylvain are both compelling, and likeable. In fairness, I don't think I actively dislike any of the characters in 3H, so maybe that isn't saying much. 

Anyway, here's my top 10.  

1) Jeritza

2) Hubert

3) Shamir

4) Petra

5) Linhardt

6) Hapi

7) Constance

8) Yuri

9) Edelgard

10) Claude

Edited by haarhaarhaar

My favourite characters at the moment are:

1. Bernadetta

2. Marianne

3. Edelgard

4. Dorothea

5. Ferdinand

6. Felix

7. Leonie

8. Hubert

9. Lorenz

10. Lysithea/Ignatz/Mercedes/Petra/Caspar (uh I can't really decide among them.)

The DLC characters, I find all of them very fun to hang around. But maybe it's because of their relatively lack of support chains, I find them slightly less integral to the whole story and have a harder time to bump them up in the list.

Claude, Seteth, Linhardt, Manuela and Cyril are characters that I feel more or less neutral towards but are also very interesting to look into their personality and arc.

Sylvain and Rhea are complex, fascinating characters that I can't yet bring myself to comfortably embrace their negative traits, but they're definitely very strong and well-written characters in my eyes and kind of my favourite characters to "hate" at the moment.

Edited by DriftingWaterBottle

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But yay for Claude and Sylvain love! Glad you seem to like them about as much as I do! ^^

Well Felix is a tsundere and as a rule tsundere's are always very popular. I wouldn't agree due to how grumpy he always looks, but from what I see 'as a bonus, he's hot'' is something Felix's fans also think about him. As for me I can appreciate Felix for being harsh but fair. He's a jerk about it but his criticism tends to be correct most of the time. Dimitri really is a ticking timebomb and Dedue could easily become grotesque in enabling it, his father really does have his priorities completely out of wack and Mercedes assumptions about him might accidentally be quite rude to Felix. When people don't give him a reason to be hostile such as Annette, Seteth or Ashe he's far more cordial. Even his advice to Ashe is meant to be helpful even if his behavior makes Ashe take it the wrong way. He doesn't denounce Ashe but merely strongly suggests he moderates himself. He's actually weirdly supportive about Ashe's nature as the squire. 

As for the contrast between Felix and Sylvain. There are two reasons why Sylvain's behavior might rub people the wrong way compared to Felix. Firstly Felix is very honest about who he is but Sylvain can be really manipulative. Secondly Sylvain very deliberately sets out to do harm and be the worst version of himself, but Felix is more about very rudely getting people to stop doing what he perceives to be harmful. 

Top 10:
1- Ingrid
2- Marianne
3- Hapi
4- FERDINAND VON EAGIR
5- Bernadetta
6- Leonie
7- Alois
8- Annette
9- Ashe
10- Claude

When it comes to Felix and Sylvain, only Manuela I dislike more from 3H. The only reason I'd still place Felix above Sylvain, is because people tend to see Sylvain and say "aw he had such a tragic past, that totally excuses being a terrible person", whereas most people tend to like Felix because he is such a bad person. They're both still very much near the bottom of my faves list though.

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh wow! Just LOOK at all those people mentioning Alois!

I never saw that coming. I rarely hear people talk about him and I always assumed that being a chubby old man means you're destined for unpopularity in this fandom. I just assumed I was the only Alois fan out there.

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen anybody dislike Alois. The limited amount of people talking about him is just because everybody recognises his greatness as a universal truth.

(He's not in my top ten because there are too many other good characters, but Alois is great.)

Oh wow, I got a lot of responses overnight and I'm not sure how to respond to all of them, really. Seems to be more of an agree to disagree thing at this point, which is fine.

But I will add one last thing here that I also said to my friend Dragoncat some time back. I also see Felix's berating people for doing things that are against his views as awful because it feels too close to a big issue people in the real world have: hating and unfairly criticizing someone just because of their views or lifestyle. For example, hating someone because they're a Democrat or a Muslim. Felix hates anyone who's a knight simply because he doesn't like knights. It's also like hating all cops because one or two were bad.

I'm not intending to bring politics into this, but Felix also rubbed me the very wrong way because of the problems my country is currently facing and he's reminding me too much of the worse attitude some people are having about them.

Oh yeah, another thing about Sylvain I didn't mention? I've been a victim of the type of behavior he exhibits towards women. A guy pretended to like me and didn't. So at first, he actually rubbed me the wrong way too. But his reasoning for his behavior and all came much clearer to me than it ever did for Felix.

Edited by Anacybele

37 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh wow! Just LOOK at all those people mentioning Alois!

I never saw that coming. I rarely hear people talk about him and I always assumed that being a chubby old man means you're destined for unpopularity in this fandom. I just assumed I was the only Alois fan out there.

Gheb and Oliver are beloved, though! Anyway, my list would be:

10) Lysithea

9) Shamir

😎 Linhardt

7) Lorenz

6) Hubert

5) Hapi

4) Ashe

3) Seteth

2) Claude

1) Annette

Really love this cast, as a whole!

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
The sunglass emoji was an accident, but it's funny, so I'm keeping it.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I also see Felix's berating people for doing things that are against his views as awful because it feels too close to a big issue people in the real world have: hating and unfairly criticizing someone just because of their views or lifestyle.

This is a good point, and ties into why I think so many people adore his Seteth support- because the advice Seteth gives can easily be applied to the real world too:

"As unwavering as your convictions may be, the others also feel strongly about their beliefs. If you hate all those whose beliefs are different from yours, you will hate everyone eventually. People with exactly the same beliefs as you simply do not exist."

But yeah, as you say, agree to disagree. If everybody liked the same characters this topic would be much more boring.

Speaking of I ended up forgetting about Seteth, so I better put him in my top ten somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

This is a good point, and ties into why I think so many people adore his Seteth support- because the advice Seteth gives can easily be applied to the real world too:

"As unwavering as your convictions may be, the others also feel strongly about their beliefs. If you hate all those whose beliefs are different from yours, you will hate everyone eventually. People with exactly the same beliefs as you simply do not exist."

But yeah, as you say, agree to disagree. If everybody liked the same characters this topic would be much more boring.

Speaking of I ended up forgetting about Seteth, so I better put him in my top ten somewhere.

Oh, cool. That's one Felix support I never did see, since I never actually bothered to get many of Seteth's supports. But yeah, it is boring if everyone liked the same characters.

For me though, it just bugs me that I tend to like the less popular ones but dislike the popular ones. 😕 Sylvain and Claude are popular to varying degrees, but there are still several characters more popular, at least in Sylvain's case. And Claude is still the least popular of the lords.

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

For me though, it just bugs me that I tend to like the less popular ones but dislike the popular ones. 😕 Sylvain and Claude are popular to varying degrees, but there are still several characters more popular, at least in Sylvain's case. And Claude is still the least popular of the lords.

I can agree to a certain extent, finding non-popular characters more interesting a lot of the time. Not always, but sometimes. Still, I don't think it's something that should bug you. You like who you like, you don't have to follow other people in what you like. If you like it, why care what others think? Thats what I think anyway. Also, Claude being the least popular lord doesn't say much considering all three are insanely popular.

As for my list:

1. Linhardt
2. Felix
3. Annette
4. Dimitri
5. Hubert
6. Yuri
7. Rhea
8. Jeritza
9. Lorenz
10. Hilda

Basically, put Linhardt and Felix in heroes already IS. Please and thank you.

10 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I can agree to a certain extent, finding non-popular characters more interesting a lot of the time. Not always, but sometimes. Still, I don't think it's something that should bug you. You like who you like, you don't have to follow other people in what you like. If you like it, why care what others think? Thats what I think anyway. Also, Claude being the least popular lord doesn't say much considering all three are insanely popular.

Yeah, but liking the less popular characters means your favs get less attention in the long run in stuff like merchandise or games like Heroes. Look at all the Edelgard and Black Eagles bias due to her being the most popular of the three. Claude and Dimitri don't get as much attention because they're less liked despite still being popular.

Still, I do try not to let it bug me too much, yeah.