Top 10 Characters

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

For me though, it just bugs me that I tend to like the less popular ones but dislike the popular ones.

Personally I find it rewarding to be the only one to see value in a character. Unless they get screwed over and destined to never get added in Heroes of course. 

Though for Sylvain that kind of thinking doesn't really apply. He doesn't just seem popular relative to Three Houses characters but even ranked in the top 10 of the entire series. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please bear in mind that I've only played Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind so far, and that this top 10 isn't actually in any particular order:

• Edelgard
  • Petra
  • Ashe
  • Linhardt
  • Lysithea
  • Marianne
  • Hubert
  • Rhea
  • Dorothea
  • Bernadetta

Honourable Mentions: Ferdinand, Flayn, Seteth

44 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Though for Sylvain that kind of thinking doesn't really apply. He doesn't just seem popular relative to Three Houses characters but even ranked in the top 10 of the entire series. 

I contribute that more to recency bias and not being in Heroes at the time more than anything. He does have a version in Heroes now, even if it's a seasonal one. I highly doubt he's going to rank that high again.

If I took out Yuri, because DLC, then Felix would probably be my #10. Him or Flayn.

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh wow! Just LOOK at all those people mentioning Alois!

I never saw that coming. I rarely hear people talk about him and I always assumed that being a chubby old man means you're destined for unpopularity in this fandom. I just assumed I was the only Alois fan out there.

Yeah, same! I pretty much never hear anything about Alois. He's one of my favorites, for sure. He's one of those characters that I feel like would be a joy to be around, he has such positive energy. I love it.

Not including DLC since I never bought it.

1. Lysithea

2. Marianne

3. Seteth

4. Hilda

5. Dimitri

6. Flayn

7. Claude

8. Dedue

9. Mercedes

10. Ashe

Honorable mentions: Ingrid, Alois, Ferdinand, Edelgard, Jeralt

Edited by twilitfalchion

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but liking the less popular characters means your favs get less attention in the long run in stuff like merchandise or games like Heroes. Look at all the Edelgard and Black Eagles bias due to her being the most popular of the three. Claude and Dimitri don't get as much attention because they're less liked despite still being popular.

Still, I do try not to let it bug me too much, yeah.

And then there's people like me, the Leonie x Seteth fans. It's a cruel, cruel world we live in.

1 hour ago, Slyfox said:

And then there's people like me, the Leonie x Seteth fans. It's a cruel, cruel world we live in.

OH MY GOD there’s more than one of us!? Up top!

I mean I also ship Lorenz and Leonie like everyone else but damnit they’re both great

Edited by Sooks1016
Can’t do strike through properly apparently

52 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

OH MY GOD there’s more than one of us!? Up top!

I mean I also ship Lorenz and Leonie like everyone else but damnit they’re both great

"Here is something to believe in!" *High fives*

I'll have to post all my ships at one point. But I'm getting off topic.

58 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

I'll have to post all my ships at one point. But I'm getting off topic.

My post would be way too long, but they would definitely be on there

No one mentioned Byleth.

1. Byleth
  2. Lysithea
  3. Ingrid 
  4. Sylvain 
  5. Caspar
  6. Marianne
  7. Annette 
  8. Raphael
  9. Lorenz
  10. Seteth

Honorable mention : Dorothea, Felix, Hilda, Leonie, Flayn, Catherine and Shamir.

Dishonorable mention : Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Jeritza, Yuri, Balthus, Constance and Hapi.

Edited by drattakbowser

1. Hilda 
2. Ferdinand
3. Claude
4. Mercedes
5. Rhea
6. Marianne
7. Manuela
8. Edelgard
9. Hubert 
10. Seteth

Honorable List: Hapi, Felix, Leonie.

The order does not make much sense for me, I just like them all in their way. And it could change any day again. 

Edited by Stroud

6 minutes ago, Florete said:

What I don't count, however, is any Gatekeepers (aside from mine). Sad.

Gatekeeper is legendary, but he just doesn’t get much characterization or screen time, whereas playable characters can get so much that you have trouble not loving them

In terms of playable characters, there are a few that aren't getting much love, but the only ones I'm not seeing at all (unless I've missed something, which is very possible) are Gilbert and Anna. This does not surprise me even a little bit. One character that I am a little bit surprised not to have seen anyone mention at all is Jeralt. He's not my favourite, but he's a decent character who gets a lot of screentime.

1 minute ago, lenticular said:

In terms of playable characters, there are a few that aren't getting much love, but the only ones I'm not seeing at all (unless I've missed something, which is very possible) are Gilbert and Anna. This does not surprise me even a little bit. One character that I am a little bit surprised not to have seen anyone mention at all is Jeralt. He's not my favourite, but he's a decent character who gets a lot of screentime.

As a whole, students get way more love than non students, and for good reason. Your own students just get so much screen time, at least enough to flesh out enough of a personality to make you want to use them, compared to faculty and what not

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

As a whole, students get way more love than non students, and for good reason. Your own students just get so much screen time, at least enough to flesh out enough of a personality to make you want to use them, compared to faculty and what not

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected him to be super popular for that reason, but I would have guessed he'd have snuck into one or two lists, in the same way that a few other non-playable characters did.

5 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I have Gilbert on my list. I liked him after doing all of this supports on a second playthrough. He a very grounded character, and I appreciate him a lot for it. I think he's one that quite often missed, because, it's normal to be salty over losing Dedue. And I think he comes across as quite boring without going into supports. 

15 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I love all Annas, but Anna in 3H is little more than a bonus character, so it's no surprise to have her missing. Plus, since she's in nearly every FE, it can feel strange to have her on a list of favorites for a specific game. Like, if you asked people what their favorite Sword/Shield Pokemon are, it would feel weird for anyone to list Pikachu. Yeah, it's in those games, but it feels like that defeats the purpose.

7 minutes ago, Yexin said:

i'm pleasantly surprised to see so many people naming Rhea and Mercedes in their lists, didn't really expect it

Personally, I love Mercedes— She’s the biggest reason why I picked blue lions first only to end up marrying her best friend but that’s a story for another day

Mercedes got second in the BL popularity poll, losing only to Dimitri.

Marianne got second in the GD version, behind Claude.

Serenes Forest loves it’s nice healer chicks.

The church crew is the only faction where I consistently like each character, including Gilbert, Jeralt, heck, even Byleth (avatar issues notwithstanding). But, the students get more screen time and development overall, and I had to keep my list to ten people.

Gatekeeper is amazing, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Next I'll be nominating random student #3 from month 5 as my favorite.