Top 10 Characters

Eh, Byleth is a character I think is just...fine. I don't dislike him. The "avatar issues" hold him back pretty significantly, though. He wouldn't even make my Top 20, but I don't dislike him. As for Anna, she's kinda just "there" and doesn't show much personality to me, personally, and Gilbert is another "eh, he's fine" character for me, and I HAVE seen all his supports.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gilbert is a well-written character but he's such an insufferable person that I'm not surprised that he's one of the least popular characters overall. His decision to abandon his wife and daughter as some sort of personal penance is immensely unsympathetic.

Yeah... I think with Gilbert that's the point. You're supposed to sympathize more with Annette in that situation, which is good for her character development... but not so much for Gilbert's. Personally, though, the main reason why i don't like Gilbert is because of the chapter when he appears as a green unit and literally suicides into a Demonic Beast. 

Edited by SirErrant

15 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

Yeah... I think with Gilbert that's the point. You're supposed to sympathize more with Annette in that situation, which is good for her character development... but not so much for Gilbert's. Personally, though, the main reason why i don't like Gilbert is because of the chapter when he appears as a green unit and literally suicides into a Demonic Beast. 

Not to mention, if he makes it into the Archers' range, the whole block of enemies starts moving on you. When it's optimal to get a green unit killed off early, that's just poor design.

20 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I think Gilbert is a well-written character but he's such an insufferable person that I'm not surprised that he's one of the least popular characters overall. His decision to abandon his wife and daughter as some sort of personal penance is immensely unsympathetic.

He isn't in my top 10, but I kind of get it. As someone struggling with my own sense of self-worth and ability, I've felt like I drag down the people around me. Like I don't deserve them, which drives me to self-isolate. I'm getting better, but if and when I become a parent, I fear that I would face the same pull as Gilbert.

8 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As someone struggling with my own sense of self-worth and ability, I've felt like I drag down the people around me. Like I don't deserve them, which drives me to self-isolate. I'm getting better, but if and when I become a parent, I fear that I would face the same pull as Gilbert.

At times, I feel exactly the same way, which is why I understand characters like Gilbert but also don't really like them because they remind me too much of myself. 

4 hours ago, SirErrant said:

At times, I feel exactly the same way, which is why I understand characters like Gilbert but also don't really like them because they remind me too much of myself. 

Oh, that's exactly how I felt about Marianne at first, she reminded me far too much of myself at her age, and I hated it. But after timeskip, and especially after seeing her S support with Byleth, I really started loving her for how much she has grown, because it has shown me how far I got myself.

As for Gilbert, I know so many people who hate him for his bad decision. But I tend to like him because while his choice is inexcusable, I really do get it and can feel his pain.

Gilbert is written really good. I think his writing is just a conflicted dad that tries his best to solve his problem via self exile but goes and solve is problems the wrong way. He runs away from them from the others perspective but from his position he doesn’t want people close to him to get hurt. That how most soldiers and proud dad solve theirs issues.  Annette does the opposite she doesn’t run and accepts her weaknesses and helps other and can admit she needs other to succeed. Her support with Lysithea another magic user shows this even she was at the top of the school of sorcery.  She also learned to forgive the past and keep going foward and even forgive her Dad Gilbert and still cares about him because tomorrow is another day

On 8/27/2020 at 2:48 AM, whase said:

Oh, that's exactly how I felt about Marianne at first, she reminded me far too much of myself at her age, and I hated it. But after timeskip, and especially after seeing her S support with Byleth, I really started loving her for how much she has grown, because it has shown me how far I got myself.

That's literally why I love Marianne. Watching her overcome her anxiety and self-doubt is so cathartic to see, and you really can't help but root for her (she's my favorite, btw) especially since I've felt like that before (and still do on bad days, to be honest). 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, NaotoUzumaki said:

Gilbert is written really good. I think his writing is just a conflicted dad that tries his best to solve his problem via self exile but goes and solve is problems the wrong way. He runs away from them from the others perspective but from his position he doesn’t want people close to him to get hurt. That how most soldiers and proud dad solve theirs issues.  Annette does the opposite she doesn’t run and accepts her weaknesses and helps other and can admit she needs other to succeed. Her support with Lysithea another magic user shows this even she was at the top of the school of sorcery.  She also learned to forgive the past and keep going foward and even forgive her Dad Gilbert and still cares about him because tomorrow is another day

Like I said before, Gilbert's written really well, not so that he can necessarily be a sympathetic character, but more so that Annette can shine. I think Faerghast made a support science video about him, so I don't want to go too much into depth since he explains it so much better than I could, but it just goes to show how good Three Houses's quality of writing is when it comes to characters.

Yeah Threes houses has a couple bad story written moments but it’s character are god tier Writing. I like where their going with the writing since most people won’t like a world without good character to remember so they gave a cast well written to make you care. That a plus in my book and takes away what people hate about the monastery since you like those character that it doesn’t feel like a chore especially the conversation and support 

Edited by NaotoUzumaki

1: Edelgard

2: Dimitri

3: Female Byleth (Male's just too "bog standard anime protagonist" for me.)

4: Dorothea

5: Ingrid

6: Lysithea

7: Marianne

8: Sylvain

9: Constance von Nuvelle!

10: Hubert

Honorable mentions: Yuri. Was very close between him and Hubert for 10th spot. Lack of a fleshed-out backstory or a real character arc did him in though, which is a shame. Also Jeralt, Seteth and Rodrigue, the good dad trio.

Dishonorable mentions: Rhea, Gilbert and Felix

Edited by RainbowMoon

My top 10 favorites are:

1. Felix
  2. Dorothea
  3. Marianne
  4. Ingrid
  5. Hilda
  6. Raphael
  7. Dimitri
  8. Hubert
  9. Ashe
  10. Mercedes

Honorable mentions: Annette, Claude, Alois and Shamir

Dishonorable mentions: Rhea, Flayn and Leonie 

Edited by Faustino

1.Lysithea
2.Alois
3.Hanneman
4.Edelgard
5.Felix
6.Petra
7.Jeralt
8.Bernadetta
9.Balthus
10.Seteth

Honorable mentions: Claude,Hubert,Yuri,Raphael,Ignatz,Marianne,Jeritza

Uncertain about the actual order after the first three. But here goes:

1: Edelgard (I absolutely adore the Adrestian Emperor)

2: Dimitri (extremely complex character who is inner darkness makes him all the more interesting)

3: Rhea (highly flawed individual whose past trauma shapes her actions, a lot like the previous two entries on the list who I like for similar reasons)

4: Lysithea (shares the same background as Edelgard, which means I sympathize with her for similar reasons, I see her as Edelgard's honorary little sister)

5: Felix (while harsh, he is frequently the voice of reason pointing out the hypocrisy with the knights of Faerghus and the destructive nature of Dimitri's vengeance crusade)

6: Ingrid (I love girls in full plate, Ingrid is a model knight, a badass warrior and have a tragic background with her dead fiance. It's somewhat bigoted towards the people of Duscur, but for understandable reasons.)

7: Ferdinand (he is an absolutely necessary counterpoint to Edelgard in Crimson Flower and the origin of a lot of the best policies for the new Empire)

8 Petra (frequently being the last line of defence outside of Edelgard's from room, despite being technically a political hostage, her developing such genuine loyalty to the Emperor really shows her great character.)

9: Claude (I adore his cunning tactics and wit, though his position in this list is hurt due to being mostly irrelevant in most routes , despite being a Lord. But it is admirable, but he nearly always comes out on top, regardless of route)

10: Kronya (could have used a lot more development, but I feel really sorry for her. Given how she was betrayed by her own kind.)

On 8/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Anacybele said:

I never understood why people like Felix so much myself. He's really nothing but a big asshole who takes his problems out on others and doesn't seem to care to grow out of that habit. Once or twice, he does have a point, I admit, but most of the time he is needlessly rude to others, particularly Mercedes and Ingrid. Hell, he's downright sexist to the latter. And to explain his attitude, he has...daddy issues? Really? Yes, he's mourning Glenn too, but his hate for Rodrigue and how he views stuff like that seems to get more focus. Also, another thing that bugs me about him is how much he hates chivalry and denounces anybody who supports it, like Ashe. I personally like chivalry.

Some people claim Sylvain is the asshole, and he is kind of that way towards women, but only women and only because he believes they'd just treat him no better in return. Behind that, he's a really cool dude and has legit reason to behave the way he does when you consider several factors from his backstory (his brother repeatedly tried to kill him, for instance). Plus, how can people not like his married endings? He's the sweetest husband and father! And as a bonus, he's hot. :3

I agree so much with all of this. I think the attraction to Felix, like a few others mentioned, is actually because he's an edgy tsundere who mercilessly rips everybody a new one. This makes him a sort of guilty pleasure character for some people, but for me it makes a lot of his supports very hard to watch. More so when it's with someone I especially like. I legit wanted to punch him in the teeth after seeing his C and B-supports with Dorothea. I felt so bad for her afterwards. I don't even wanna know what he says to poor Ashe. Or Mercedes, for that matter.

Sylvain, honestly, is the kind of person I thought Felix would be when I first got the game. A laid-back "Tony Stark" type who probably thinks a bit too highly of his charms or talents, but who's a little damaged inside and would do anything for his friends despite his "I don't really give a crap" demeanor. I was wrong about Felix, but so right about Sylvain! He's such a sweet, caring guy deep down who unfortunately had to grow up in a house where the crest system was especially brutal to him. His flirting might be a bit annoying, but his supports are written well enough that his antics are genuinely fun to watch. I love how his C-support with Mercedes shows that even though he may have his personal issues with women, he's not a "shut up and cook dinner" misogynist (like Felix comes across as sometimes) and is more than happy to listen when Mercedes tells her story. And his supports with Dimitri and Ashe give us a peek into his brotherly, slightly playful relationship with them. The fact that he's an absolute beast on the battlefield is really just a nice bonus haha

His paired endings are all so sweet and adorable, but my favorite might actually be his solo ending where he helps end the crest system once and for all so that nobody else will ever have to suffer what he went through. Like a true knight looking out for his people.

Edited by RainbowMoon

2 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

I agree so much with all of this. I think the attraction to Felix, like a few others mentioned, is actually because he's an edgy tsundere who mercilessly rips everybody a new one. This makes him a sort of guilty pleasure character for some people, but for me it makes a lot of his supports very hard to watch. More so when it's with someone I especially like. I legit wanted to punch him in the teeth after seeing his C and B-supports with Dorothea. I felt so bad for her afterwards. I don't even wanna know what he says to poor Ashe. Or Mercedes, for that matter.

Sylvain, honestly, is the kind of person I thought Felix would be when I first got the game. A laid-back "Tony Stark" type who probably thinks a bit too highly of his charms or talents, but who's a little damaged inside and would do anything for his friends despite his "I don't really give a crap" demeanor. I was wrong about Felix, but so right about Sylvain! He's such a sweet, caring guy deep down who unfortunately had to grow up in a house where the crest system was especially brutal to him. His flirting and sleeping around might be annoying, but his supports are written well enough that his antics are genuinely fun to watch. I love how his C-support with Mercedes shows that even though he may have his personal issues with women, he's not a "shut up and cook dinner" misogynist (like Felix comes across as sometimes) and is more than happy to listen when Mercedes tells her story. And his supports with Dimitri and Ashe give us a peek into his brotherly, slightly playful relationship with them. The fact that he's an absolute beast on the battlefield is really just a nice bonus haha

His paired endings are all so sweet and adorable, but my favorite might actually be his solo ending where he helps end the crest system once and for all so that nobody else will ever have to suffer what he went through. Like a true knight looking out for his people.

Sylvain doesn't sleep around, where did you get that? He just casually dates and that's it. He's not taking women to bed, just to lunch or dinner or whatever. He specifically even says he never goes very far.

But otherwise, I completely agree with your post 100% and I'm so glad I'm not alone here.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sylvain doesn't sleep around, where did you get that? He just casually dates and that's it. He's not taking women to bed, just to lunch or dinner or whatever. He specifically even says he never goes very far.

But otherwise, I completely agree with your post 100% and I'm so glad I'm not alone here.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I probably just read to much into his comments about "having fun with the ladies" and assumed "having fun" meant... y'know.

Thanks for catching that. I'll go back and fix my post.

5 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I probably just read to much into his comments about "having fun with the ladies" and assumed "having fun" meant... y'know.

Thanks for catching that. I'll go back and fix my post.

It's fine. I admit, it kind of bugs me when people assume Sylvain actually goes that far even though he doesn't, because I've seen said assumption multiple times. But that's not your fault, of course.

But by "having fun" I think he really means how he basically just plays with their feelings like he thinks they'd play with his if he let them. Date them a couple times, then move into another without saying much, or break it off himself as he says he does in his support with Byleth, and so on.

I also feel like if it was truly meant to imply that Sylvain was sleeping with them, the game's rating would be bumped to M. lol

Edited by Anacybele

33 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

One of Sylvain's advice box questions has him mention that he brings girls into his dorm room at night, and one of the possible responses is to have Byleth (who lives in the dorm under Sylvain) complain about the noise he makes whenever he does so.

I'm not saying that that's conclusive evidence, but it does make it easy to see why some interpret Sylvain as sleeping around.

Edited by vanguard333

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

It's fine. I admit, it kind of bugs me when people assume Sylvain actually goes that far even though he doesn't, because I've seen said assumption multiple times. But that's not your fault, of course.

But by "having fun" I think he really means how he basically just plays with their feelings like he thinks they'd play with his if he let them. Date them a couple times, then move into another without saying much, or break it off himself as he says he does in his support with Byleth, and so on.

I get that, tbh. I feel the same way when people make that assumption about Dorothea. I heard "having fun" and made the more obvious connection. But playing with their feelings actually makes much more sense for Sylvain, since he feels like he's doomed to end up in a loveless arranged marriage because of his crest.

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

One of Sylvain's advice box questions has him mention that he brings girls into his dorm room at night, and one of the possible responses is to have Byleth (who lives in the dorm under Sylvain) complain about the noise he makes whenever he does so.

I'm not saying that that's conclusive evidence, but it does make it easy to see why some interpret Sylvain as sleeping around.

Really? That's weird. I guess I could see it too then. But it's still odd that this can occur and yet in Sylvain's support with Byleth, he mentions that he broke it off with a girl because things were getting to be too much for him, and in the same support chain, he says he doesn't want to be a "studhorse" which means he doesn't want to be used for making Crest babies. And we all know how babies are made. So by that, I'd think he doesn't want to sleep with anybody. So I wonder what the heck he's doing with girls in his room if it isn't sexual at all.

15 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I think it's pretty heavily implied that yes, Sylvain definitely sleeps around. I mean I'm sure they only went so explicit given it's a game, but I'd agree that this was one of the many moments that stuck out to me to show that Sylvain f***s. XD

My favorite character are (in relative order and separated by gaps in favoritism).

1. Edelgard
2. Dimitri

3. Sylvain
4. Dorothea
5. Felix

6. Hapi
7. Ashe
8. Yuri

9. Petra
10. I can't do it. I just can't choose. Claude/Annette/Mercedes/Lysithea. One of them.

Edited by Kiran_

1 minute ago, Kiran_ said:

I think it's pretty heavily implied that yes, Sylvain definitely sleeps around.

But why would this be the case when like I said, he says he doesn't want to be used for making Crest babies? Surely he knows how babies are made and I don't think condoms and whatnot exist in Fodlan.