Come up with a potentially controversial gameplay mechanic

Perkilator

On 8/28/2020 at 10:30 PM, starburst said:

Romantic supports should factor chance. Every time a couple achieves a new Support Level, the suitor earns a greater chance of winning his lover’s heart. Some pairs have better compatibility, and therefore a greater chance of ending together, but no couple has a 100 % compatibility at any Support Level.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:22 AM, Samz707 said:

Holy wheel spell magic now takes a single charge to go back a single turn, if you go back two turns, that's two charges gone, you can't rewind back to the start of the fight with a single charge anymore and it's never refilled for free, you have to spend some sort of resource to get more.

Mark is now a force deployed unit in Blazing Blade remake, he can't use any weapons so he can only move, use items and maybe support bonuses, it's also game over if he dies.

Enemies now actively place mines if they come back, have fun walking into mines, stopping you movement and hurting your units or Light Runes forcing you to wait a few turns.

Extra chapters where you get to play as the bad guy's side, so when you hear how some boss dude raided a village, you get to play that out and actively destroy buildings by visiting them (like enemies in the GBA games.) as well as just in general looting and pillaging.

Can't believe I missed these ideas, they're pretty good.

11 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

A singular storyline with a bare minimum of maps as the base game – something like 14-18 maps. In exchange several optional story paths that deal with specific regions and factions of the world over the course of some 2-5 maps. Completing these optional stories unlock new and possibly unique characters, items, weapons, classes. Additionally, not completing these story paths could lead to some base game maps having additional enemies and reinforcements from the very regions you chose to ignore – for example you didn´t liberate the vassalized state of X, hence their troops back up the enemy Kingdom of Y. That may also be used for a system centred around reputation– completing maps after a story path has been played may increase your relationship with a faction yielding additional resources after finishing the map.

Also, maybe instead of playing these story paths as your own army, you take the POV of the faction that you aid – which may or may not be interesting for storytelling and also serve to gain a first glimpse of the characters, items, weapons and classes that you will gain access to.

And, unless there are significant story related reason have a mercenary system in place, that allows you to gain access to some of a regions units – say you could recruit a rebel leader who is actually a knight in hiding from one of these regions, but you wouldn´t be able to recruit their royalty as they are held hostage. Just so that skipping a region because maps that are part of it are obnoxious to some players doesn´t completely shut them out of it.

This was already done. Not by Kaga, believe it or not, but by the mercenary system from a thread I posted six years ago.

Instead of fatigue or biorhythm, low manning is countered by disease. Your characters can randomly catch dysentery and are more vulnerable to falling ill and dying the more action they see in battle. It is a system which forces you to use many units you otherwise wouldn't have by implementing ironmaning even off the battlefield.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

This was already done. Not by Kaga, believe it or not, but by the mercenary system from a thread I posted six years ago.

Your [Mercenary System] seems to be a bit different from what I had in mind, no? What I meant was that once you chose to visit a region you can´t just be like “Oh naw, sorry fam, I ain´t gotta do shit for ya” and proceed with the main story and that it takes more than one singular map.

A lot of what I had in mind being inspired by the way the SC II campaigns were set up.

Edited by Imuabicus

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

A defend mission where you have to place all the defenses surrounding the base beforehand: the walls, the gates, a ballista, etc., and you have no idea how the enemy is going to approach the base. 

Fates had a mode that was pretty much exactly that with the castle assaults.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fates had a mode that was pretty much exactly that with the castle assaults.

I know, but I mean something like that that isn't an optional bit of side-content. I'm talking about a story mission where the player has to do this. 

On 9/3/2020 at 10:12 AM, Samz707 said:

So FE Awakening but you play as Chrom?

Lucina has to be born somehow🤷‍♂️

Jokes aside, its pretty easy to marry off Chrom before he can NTR you (or any other character).

A kinda X-com style spin-off, where your army consists entirely of replace-able generics (or just the vast majority) , there's a research system where you create the big cool fancy swords/axes instead of having to find them in addition to make creating new spells and you respond to at least somewhat generated encounters, going from fighting off bandits to the mandatory-big-what--ever-the-main-villian is up to plot, alternatively.

An obnoxious Merchant character who shows up to sell/buy stuff from you every chapter but is also present on maps trying to steal items to sell back to you to rip-off you like Cath, maybe including kill-stealing bosses with unique weapons if possible, so yeah you nearly killed the boss dude with Not-Armads but he dealt the final blow? BETTER OPEN UP THAT WALLET! 'cause he aint' handing it you for free also sometimes if you don't buy any unique powerful weapons, he'll have sold them off to bosses later down the line, meaning they'll be tougher by virtue of having the big cool axe you were supposed to have several chapters ago.

Just turn Battalions into extra generics that can only be ordered around by the unit attached to them and turn into Green units if they die (So they're more soldiers actually on the battlefield instead of just a glorified attack/stat boost), they'll have a few extra commands for automation, like automatically following the Unit commanding them when they move for instance.

Any units who are killed without their health going into the negatives (Or Strength would allow them to take a few extra hits so this will happen at say, roughly -2 HP) will instead of dying instantly, go into an injured on the ground state where they can be rescued from death via healing (either from other units with healing items or healers), this applies to enemy units too so some dude you just barely knocked down might get up from an enemy physic staff user, possibly Rescue allows you to "heal" them back to literally 1 HP without using a health item but that'd take 2 turns (To pick them up and put them down) and they will very much definitely die then if something so much as sneezes on them.

Edited by Samz707

For my Fire Emblem Dungeons and Dragons system I made a death save system. When a player character's health gets to 0, they make a save based on defense. If they succeed that save they are instead knocked out, that save becomes harder each time they go down. If they are healed they get back up, but their maximum health will be halved for the next 8 hours (so if they decide to fight again, they get knocked out easier, then have to succeed a higher save, etc.) I think this might be fun for a mode between casual and classic.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:46 PM, Alph said:

The 24 turns in Berwick saga felt pretty close.

I love it when Vester's Unit blocks Vester from going onto the path so he goes behind the house and comes one hex from escaping on the 24th turn. But no, I agree-I really liked how the time limits meant something when in other games, they were totally arbitrary. (Also, a turn actually getting an amount of time associated with it was really nice.)

17 minutes ago, whase said:

For my Fire Emblem Dungeons and Dragons system I made a death save system. When a player character's health gets to 0, they make a save based on defense. If they succeed that save they are instead knocked out, that save becomes harder each time they go down. If they are healed they get back up, but their maximum health will be halved for the next 8 hours (so if they decide to fight again, they get knocked out easier, then have to succeed a higher save, etc.) I think this might be fun for a mode between casual and classic.

That's actually a pretty good idea! It may cause some rage if your unit fails the death save right away, though...Maybe the first death save is guaranteed?

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

That's actually a pretty good idea! It may cause some rage if your unit fails the death save right away, though...Maybe the first death save is guaranteed?

The player rolls a d20 and adds their defense, base defense is 2, the first save they need to make is 5. Meaning that a character that puts no stats in defense still only dies on a first save if they roll a 1 or 2. 

This does make dodgetanking really risky, but tanks rarely have to worry about dying on a first save.

Unit's on horseback that wait without moving any spaces will recover half their max HP, and gain a bonus to their stats. (I.E, str, skl, def +3 for that turn.)

Foot unit's will restore some weapon uses while not moving spaces.

Flier's will gain the ability to rescue and drop a unit all in one turn on their next turn. They also gain MOV +1 after waiting beforehand.

Escape maps in a game without a lategame prison break paralogue, meaning either:

A) Anyone who doesn't escape before the Lord is just gone, or...
B) The game doesn't let you escape with your Lord until everyone else gets there first.

Time to suggest some mechanic so terrible would have to be controversial. New time-pulse micro-transactions, just $.99 per use, and the game will helpfully suggest you buy some after every death. Don't like a level-up, reroll with another $.99 micro-transaction, add in, heck there are plenty of ways to cancerously monetize this franchise!

22 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Time to suggest some mechanic so terrible would have to be controversial. New time-pulse micro-transactions, just $.99 per use, and the game will helpfully suggest you buy some after every death. Don't like a level-up, reroll with another $.99 micro-transaction, add in, heck there are plenty of ways to cancerously monetize this franchise!

This isn't controversial, it's evil! How dare you make me read this with my own eyes! xD

The player is given help if enough units die-Such as a powerful item or something else to make their lives easier. This way, if you kill off most of your army, you'll at least accrue some good items for those you have left.

Also, a graveyard where your fallen units have graves with epitaphs.

Edited by Benice

33 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh wow...that's totally going to happen some day. Capitalism will not allow evolution to proceed in any other direction.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

The player is given help if enough units die-Such as a powerful item or something else to make their lives easier. This way, if you kill off most of your army, you'll at least accrue some good items for those you have left.

Also, a graveyard where your fallen units have graves with epitaphs.

Those are both very good ideas, actually. If I'm ever a game developer, I'll ask my team to give me their worst ideas and that's where I'll find the good stuff.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Those are both very good ideas, actually.

Thank Kaga for those-Berwick Saga did both of these! (Once four of your units die, for example, you get an item that drastically improves a unit's avoid. Pretty sure there's others that you get too, though.)

Berwick was also the first FE to give you back your items when a unit dies, so there we go.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You know, if Fire Emblem was made/owned by EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, or any of the other greed-filled "Triple-A"-publishers, we would have all of this and more already. XD
Let's just hope Nintendo can keep it to questionable overpriced DLC and manufactured scarcity, shall we?

---

And now for my suggestion: RNG-based recruitment.
When trying to recruit a unit, it's completely left to the RNG whether or not they join you. Of course, I would incorporate a, say, Charisma stat that can influence this chance (let's say it's a base 5% chance plus half your Charisma stat to recruit someone), and OF COURSE every character that can recruit another character has a pathetically low base and growth rate in Charisma.
We're talking Echoes' Res growths kind of low.

Another one: every weapon type uses a different stat to determine damage.
Axes use Strength.
Lances use Defense.
Bows use Skill.
Swords use Speed.
Anima and Dark Magic use Magic.
Light Magic uses Resistance.