Come up with a potentially controversial gameplay mechanic

Perkilator

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Support bonuses are replaced by support skills. Instead of just stat bonuses, characters support each other with skills that have a trigger condition.

Each unit can only be supported by one unit at once, and that can be changed mid map.

A healer supporting a unit will auto heal them once per turn after taking damage.

An Archer will do a follow up attack

Etc

Ooh, sounds kind of like an in-between of Pair Up and the Adjutant system. Getting "Dual Guard"ed by an allied Armor Knight, for instance, could be quite handy.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, sounds kind of like an in-between of Pair Up and the Adjutant system. Getting "Dual Guard"ed by an allied Armor Knight, for instance, could be quite handy.

Kinda. Although it's a more of a ''Link System''. Where units in a certain range with each other can 'link' together and support each other, with Support skills mainly having a trigger condition.

Let's take a healer/Light mage, as an example, when linked with another Ally:

C-support skill: Auto-heal. Once/twice/thrice (depending on support level) per turn, auto heal attacked ally. Trigger condition: linked ally takes damage in battle

B-support skill: Barrier. Res + X (depending on support level) for first magic damage taken on enemy phase. Trigger: take Magic damage.

A-support skill: Status immunity. Linked Ally is immune to negative status effects

S-support skill: Revive. Once per Map, if linked ally get's ko'd, revive them with (Mag + 10) HP.

I wanted to write a full post about a proposed revamped support system, Story and gameplay wise, but dunno if i should, since people seem to really love the current system.

And Armor unit could've ''Dual Guard'' as a A-Rank skill, to completely nullify first damage the linked ally takes during a turn, as an example

Edited by Shrimperor

A card system, like Metal Gear AC!D for the PSP, so you get cards based off various weapons/characters from the series and use them to attack with/perform actions with a small set of characters. 

I'm not really sure I can effectively explain AC!D's really unique to my experience card system, Since it's more like playing a 3D stealth game with cards  rather than playing a card game, if that makes sense, basically you have a small inventory (increased by certain cards, but only for a decent amount of turns.) where you "Equip" characters and weapons. (Certain weapons/character cards are used instantly.)

So for instance, you could equip a "Florina"  Card with the "Fear of Men" effect, so once it's 70 percent chance to activate when attacked happens, that unit will auto-dodge all attacks for a single turn...done by male enemies (AOE attacks still hit though.), Female enemies won't have their hit-chance effected, Linhardt's card would slightly lower hit chance but make your next attack apply the "sleep" status effect (yes, even say, stabbing with the Royal Sword from Echoes.) or you get a "Jaffar" "Angel of Death" card, which turns your next critical hit into an instant-kill/even more damage against bosses and the Kellam card would make all enemies ignore that unit and attack another unit instead if possible.

Faye's would increase crit-rate near an ally of the opposite gender while Leon's would increase accuracy near an ally of the same gender, Sain's would be something involving women and the Watchman from Echoes doubles your movement for a turn.

Edited by Samz707

20 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

A card system, like Metal Gear AC!D for the PSP, so you get cards based off various weapons/characters from the series and use them to attack with/perform actions with a small set of characters. 

I'm not really sure I can effectively explain AC!D's really unique to my experience card system, Since it's more like playing a 3D stealth game with cards  rather than playing a card game, if that makes sense, basically you have a small inventory (increased by certain cards, but only for a decent amount of turns.) where you "Equip" characters and weapons. (Certain weapons/character cards are used instantly.)

So for instance, you could equip a "Florina"  Card with the "Fear of Men" effect, so once it's 70 percent chance to activate when attacked happens, that unit will auto-dodge all attacks for a single turn...done by male enemies (AOE attacks still hit though.), Female enemies won't have their hit-chance effected, Linhardt's card would slightly lower hit chance but make your next attack apply the "sleep" status effect (yes, even say, stabbing with the Royal Sword from Echoes.) or you get a "Jaffar" "Angel of Death" card, which turns your next critical hit into an instant-kill/even more damage against bosses and the Kellam card would make all enemies ignore that unit and attack another unit instead if possible.

Faye's would increase crit-rate near an ally of the opposite gender while Leon's would increase accuracy near an ally of the same gender, Sain's would be something involving women and the Watchman from Echoes doubles your movement for a turn.

Thinking of card-based SRPGs, try Yggdra Union if you haven't. A GBA game later ported to the PSP with the difficulty toned down (GBA difficulty is now a Hard mode). I only played the first three missions, so I can't say how good it is, but you may like it.

How about this:

Introduction of fire arms and vehicle combat

Guns in Fire Emblem made to follow mechanics similar to Pillars of Eternity and Expeditions: Conquistador. (i.e. the guns ignore defence stats and cause massive damage; guns also are inaccurate, cannot shoot over friendly units and take a long time to reload).

WM3MrHH.jpg

As for vehicles, they can follow mechanics like Advance wars, and can take place when the party is travelling over a great distance.

On 9/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

A three tiered am or system with weapons that apply to it. It's what I'd personally prefer, but it would require a complete overhaul of the combat system. 

To explain it better, the way I formatted it was this. 

No armor: Damaged more by bladed weapons, small bows, ECT. 

Light armor: Even damage from all weapons. 

Heavy armor: Damaged more by blunt weapons, heavy bows (or crossbows), or weapons designed to impact armor. 

I've got plenty more overhaul style mechanics, but this is the core of the combat I came up with. Again, I think completely reworking the combat would definetly stir up controversy.

i swear i've seen that kind of damage mechanic in somewhere, like how a weapon type contribute to dmg type percentage, like slash, strike, pierce, and so on (for example a greatsword can have strike and slash but no pierce, etc). and so do your armor type have different resistance to different attack . although it is still rare because balancing it is a pain in the ass due to complexity and so many numbers you need to deal with

Edited by joevar

28 minutes ago, joevar said:

i swear i've seen that kind of damage mechanic in somewhere, like how a weapon type contribute to dmg type percentage, like slash, strike, pierce, and so on (for example a greatsword can have strike and slash but no pierce, etc). and so do your armor type have different resistance to different attack . although it is still rare because balancing it is a pain in the ass due to complexity and so many numbers you need to deal with

Yeah. But it just makes the combat that much more authentic for someone who knows a lot about medieval armaments.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:37 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Yeah. But it just makes the combat that much more authentic for someone who knows a lot about medieval armaments.

controversial mechanic indeed. since not only they need to overhaul the weapon, gives it many many more variation, also need to design armor system. which raise another problem with class compatibility.  and if someone also being nitpicky about it, appearance changes based on armor (or not)

Spoiler

imagine the amount of micromanagement you have to do each time you go into battle.  (managing one char inventory in RPG games, versus one army in FE)

Edited by joevar

Take a leaf out of Jagged Alliance where you can assign units who aren't currently fighting to tasks.

Say a character is a blacksmith, they can repair a certain amount of uses (maybe effected by stats?) of a non-magical weapon if you don't use that  unit and weapon in that battle. (and maybe some promoted mage class can do the same for magical weapons/staves.)

If the SOV food system comes back, then cooks can take foods and bake them into better healing foods.

I guess also the task system in 3H where you get 2 units to train a single skill could also be used here for non-specialized units at the cost of not actually being able to use them in that battle. 

Edited by Samz707

On 10/6/2020 at 5:20 AM, Samz707 said:

If the SOV food system comes back, then cooks can take foods and bake them into better healing foods.

I remember playing SoV and trying to cook the flour into bread but I couldn't and it bothered me.

New mechanic: players need to balance provisions and make sure all of their units get food otherwise they starve or leave the army.

9 hours ago, Shrow said:

I remember playing SoV and trying to cook the flour into bread but I couldn't and it bothered me.

New mechanic: players need to balance provisions and make sure all of their units get food otherwise they starve or leave the army.

Also, Mercenaries need to get paid per battle. If your funds run out, they hit the road.

Also, a 5% chance of any given unit getting dysentary between maps. You can't field them and if you don't buy them medicine, they die by chapter's end.

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Also, Mercenaries need to get paid per battle. If your funds run out, they hit the road.

Also, a 5% chance of any given unit getting dysentary between maps. You can't field them and if you don't buy them medicine, they die by chapter's end.

Is it bad that I actually like these ideas and that I want these in the Binding Blade remake?

23 hours ago, whase said:

On 10/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, Shrow said:

somehow im getting darkest dungeon vibe, something realistic with death waiting in the corner for many reasons outside dying from losing a battle
i prefer something like this to be in a new game rather than remake tho, just so the story, mechanic etc etc will be build from scratch. (more coherent, not a situation where gameplay and story at odds with each other)

Chapters where certain enemies will flee if you kill their friends. 

Maiden Quest actually used this to great effect, where you have to defeat Nino in one chapter so Jaffar leaves with her and doesn't kill you.

a side chapter or paralogue where the deployed unit is already assigned with fixed stat, the placement already decided, and most of units is generic unit. Did any of DLC from past games other than cindered have done it?

seems would be good for a little bit of challenge and also an excuse to insert "past events" which wont effect the main story, but may reward you with something

A mechanic where, based on your unit's constitution compared to the constitution of the enemy, the force given off from the unit's attack can do minimal damage back to them, just as hitting something forcefully irl would shock you or hurt you if it was heavy or hard enough.

51 minutes ago, joevar said:

a side chapter or paralogue where the deployed unit is already assigned with fixed stat, the placement already decided, and most of units is generic unit. Did any of DLC from past games other than cindered have done it?

seems would be good for a little bit of challenge and also an excuse to insert "past events" which wont effect the main story, but may reward you with something

I guess The Echoes Harbor rebellion DLC? (All of the DLC has fixed stats and decided placement but the Harbor one is the only one with generics.)  You also get a reward if all of the generics live I think.

Edited by Samz707

2 hours ago, joevar said:

Fates does this with its DLC quite a bit actually. It does so with its beach DLC, Heirs of Fate, and hidden truths.

Zone-based reinforcements that appear immediately when you move a unit into the trigger zone and startle your character when they appear, stopping their current movement. You can then Canto with their remaining movement, regardless of class.

This is something I thought of as a way to make skill more relevant in another thread, but it really deserves to be mentioned here:

Have a skill threshold effect counter attacks, so if the attacker has lets say 4+ more skill then the enemy they don't get a counter attack, if the attacker has 4+ less skill than the enemy, then enemy gets their attacks first.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:21 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is something I thought of as a way to make skill more relevant in another thread, but it really deserves to be mentioned here:

Have a skill threshold effect counter attacks, so if the attacker has lets say 4+ more skill then the enemy they don't get a counter attack, if the attacker has 4+ less skill than the enemy, then enemy gets their attacks first.

Someone earlier in thread or maybe it was another thread I can't find it; mentioned that speed should not only double after 3 or 4 points above but should also triple at 6 or 8 points above then quadruple and etc..

These changes would be really good at buffing myms since they tend to have a problem of being a worse version of a merc. Having lots of extra skill and speed could mean something instead of just being extra dodge and hit chance.

A "Sacrifice" spell, which takes 80-90 percent of the Casters HP into a explosion all around them that does enough damage to 1-hit normal enemies but can run the risk of killing friendly units.

So in other words a kid-friendly suicide bomber spell except you can survive it at Full health.

Also Farm tools can be used as weapons with low durability and unique effects, a pitchfork does 3x the damage of a lance by default for instance.

Edited by Samz707

A viral epidemic spreads across the continent. If a character gets infected, they lose 20HP per turn for every turn, and they spread it to all units that come within three tiles. There is no cure for the disease, and the infected continue to be infected until the end of the game. 

Oh, and this would be for a game made in 2019 and released in 2020-2021. 

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

A viral epidemic spreads across the continent. If a character gets infected, they lose 20HP per turn for every turn, and they spread it to all units that come within three tiles. There is no cure for the disease, and the infected continue to be infected until the end of the game. 

Oh, and this would be for a game made in 2019 and released in 2020-2021. 

Reminds me of Pathologic 2 (that got released in 2019 funny enough) since that involves an in-game plague that you can catch as a practically permanent status effect.