Would Alm be able to defeat Duma without Celica?

Let's say Celica dies. Would Alm still be able to save Valentia and defeat Duma? Or does he need the other bearer of the brand to help?

Edit: asking this bc I'm working on a fanfic that is not Alm/Celica, and I found, if you're writing a fanfic for an Alm/whoever ship in the SoV world, Celica wouldn't fit in the story so you'd have to kill her off (I'm so sorry Celica, I still love you :c) for it to work. So I was wondering even without her if Valentia would still end up being saved.

Edited by obnaumi

I mean considering the entire point of the story is that Alm and Celica are supposed to be two halves of a greater whole. Where one’s strengths offset the other’s weaknesses I’m gonna say no but considering this is SoV we’re talking about here probably because Celica constantly just gets the shaft in SoV.

Well both Turnwheels are needed to access the altar to begin with, so if Celica died and nobody bothered to retrieve her Turnwheel, then no.

Assuming Alm could access the altar and fight Duma with his army and whatever is left of Celica's, then probably. Alm kinda OP.

Though after Duma's defeat, things may have gone south fast, what with Alm not having Celica and all- he would have struggled a LOT more as a ruler in that case.

33 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean considering the entire point of the story is that Alm and Celica are supposed to be two halves of a greater whole. Where one’s strengths offset the other’s weaknesses I’m gonna say no but considering this is SoV we’re talking about here probably because Celica constantly just gets the shaft in SoV.

True, one without the other may make everything all the more difficult

16 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Well both Turnwheels are needed to access the altar to begin with, so if Celica died and nobody bothered to retrieve her Turnwheel, then no.

Assuming Alm could access the altar and fight Duma with his army and whatever is left of Celica's, then probably. Alm kinda OP.

Though after Duma's defeat, things may have gone south fast, what with Alm not having Celica and all- he would have struggled a LOT more as a ruler in that case.

Lol right Alm is pretty OP but I can say it'd take a huge toll on him mentally and physically, but I'm sure he'd pull through for the sake of saving Valentia and for Celica. While she would be dead in that scenario, her soul was always intertwined with Alm's, so I feel like she'd be watching over him in a way, giving him signs, etc..

The revival springs exist in-story, you know...

Although seriously, I would think it would be possible. Although, how feasibly would it be depends if Mila is willing to unseal the Kingsfang for Alm to use. If not, Nosferatu works.

23 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Not necessarily. That particular door may need the Turnwheels to open, but there has to be other ways to get in. Otherwise how Jedah manages all the time? He also warped in Celica's group. So at the very least, so long Alm also has someone with warping magic, he can. And he has, with Silque.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Although seriously, I would think it would be possible. Although, how feasibly would it be depends if Mila is willing to unseal the Kingsfang for Alm to use.

Why, does it depend on Celica's presence if she would unseal it or not? Why wouldn't she? Is it because Alm is considered to be "a reincarnation of Duma" or at least represents Duma? Or is it because she knows Alm is going to defeat Duma and although she knows how destructive her brother is, she is still reluctant to unseal Falchion?

7 minutes ago, obnaumi said:

Why, does it depend on Celica's presence if she would unseal it or not? Why wouldn't she? Is it because Alm is considered to be "a reincarnation of Duma" or at least represents Duma? Or is it because she knows Alm is going to defeat Duma and although she knows how destructive her brother is, she is still reluctant to unseal Falchion?

More or less. She sealed the Falchion because she didn't want her brother to come to harm. Remember, she's also turning mad, so her judgement is being clouded.

It's no coincidence she unsealed the sword the very moment the Alm and Celica fight happened... and Celica was killed. I take it you mean Celica dying at some earlier point than the duel?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

More or less. She sealed the Falchion because she didn't want her brother to come to harm. Remember, she's also turning mad, so her judgement is being clouded.

It's no coincidence she unsealed the sword the very moment the Alm and Celica fight happened... and Celica was killed. I take it you mean Celica dying at some earlier point than the duel?

Right, but the moment she unsealed the Falchion is when she came to her senses and realized Duma had to be defeated, correct? (haven't played SoV in a while)

Yeah, I was picturing Celica dying around Act 3, either the very beginning of it because of that landslide/earthquake and having Conrad not saving her in time, or in some other incident later on. I kinda wanted it to be right after their reunion just so it could be more of a struggle for Alm to cope with (writing a story, you can say it's like an alternate universe or the like).

Edited by obnaumi

22 minutes ago, obnaumi said:

Right, but the moment she unsealed the Falchion is when she came to her senses and realized Duma had to be defeated, correct? (haven't played SoV in a while)

Yeah, I was picturing Celica dying around Act 3, either the very beginning of it because of that landslide/earthquake and having Conrad not saving her in time, or in some other incident later on. I kinda wanted it to be right after their reunion just so it could be more of a struggle for Alm to cope with (writing a story, you can say it's like an alternate universe or the like).

As much Duma could come to his senses from time to time. They had already gone mad, but were still in the phase were they had brief flashes of clarity. So yes, it was in such a moment where she knew she couldn't let things keep going as they were. She used up the last of her life to resurrect Celica, so might as well.

That could be an interesting scenario.

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

This is basically what I was going to say. It was supposed to be about the two of them working together to save the day, but Celica is really inconsequential for almost all of it. The only thing that changes is that Alm would need to find another way to get his story-driven promotion. 

Wasn't it the point of the opening cinematic to basically show what happens if Celica doesn't get involved or something? I can imagine we can extrapolate that the events of the cinematic come to pass should Celica die.

Edited by BigB

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If not, Nosferatu works.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So at the very least, so long Alm also has someone with warping magic, he can. And he has, with Silque.

Silque was the true hero Valentia needed all along.

As long as Alm gets his hand on her turnwheel he's fine. He's really OP and Celica isn't important at all in the grand scheme of things tbh. Her biggest accomplishment aside from killing pirates and brigands is asking that one priest in the hamlet to send Alm power, but you can probably write it off as alm going there himself for power or sth in rigel

36 minutes ago, BigB said:

Wasn't it the point of the opening cinematic to basically show what happens if Celica doesn't get involved or something? I can imagine we can extrapolate that the events of the cinematic come to pass should Celica die.

No because why the fuck would Rudolf kill- even attack Alm. Her dream is just a bad nightmare and shouldn't be taken as more. He won't act differently and kill Alm just because some random girl killed some pirates and brigands

Celica is the only reason Alm was able to get Falchion, so probably no. Mila let Alm draw it from her skull because, not only could he wield it because of his bloodline, but also Mila's heart was softened by Celica's selflessness.

If you remember, After being defeated by Rudolf, Mila wanted to protect Duma by keeping the Falchion sealed in her skull, and wasn't going to let anyone have it to defeat Duma. Celica sacrificing herself is what made Mila decide to give humans the chance to rule.

The game may at times make her look really dumb. but she was essential to allowing Alm to do what he needed to do.

12 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Celica is the only reason Alm was able to get Falchion, so probably no. Mila let Alm draw it from her skull because, not only could he wield it because of his bloodline, but also Mila's heart was softened by Celica's selflessness.

Since Mila went mad just like her brother, she sealed the Falchion because her madness clouded her judgement and didn't want Alm to destroy Duma. But at the moment she unsealed the blade, her senses came back to her. So in an alternate universe (without Celica), we could say that Mila unsealed Falchion because she was brought back to her senses and realized Duma needed to be destroyed. It doesn't necessarily mean the sole reason she unsealed Falchion was because of Celica's sacrifice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, Gordin said:

No because why the fuck would Rudolf kill- even attack Alm. Her dream is just a bad nightmare and shouldn't be taken as more. He won't act differently and kill Alm just because some random girl killed some pirates and brigands

It's fairly believable that Alm would've died in the war without Celica. He would've lost a significant amount of his army (at the very least his friends and Lukas) against Nuibaba's mirror if it wasn't for Celica's charm, a relic that's confirmed to be imbued with Mila's power, confirmed in the drama CD made by the development staff. Along with that, he doesn't get extra power granted by Halcyon if Celica didn't take her journey, Dragon's Maw would've been a big problem too.

Edited by Seazas