Favorite video game?

GoldenAether

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, by a mile! Everything about it is perfect for me-Perfect gameplay, perfect art style, perfect presentation, perfect cast, perfect music, perfect bossess, perfect temple design...I simply cannot gush enough about how much I love this game.

Honorable mentions to FE6 HM, (Normal mode's pretty eh) Marikart Wii and Rune Factory 4.

Edited by Benice

Can't really name a single favorite game, so I'll go top 3, not in any specific order.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - My favorite Zelda and an amazing experience overall for me. I loved it from beginning to end.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening - My first FE and, although I think other FE games are better, I still have a soft spot for the game and put over 100 hours into it.

3. Rune Factory 4 (Special) - The kind of game that I can sink dozens of hours into and just chill. The world and characters are so charming and the gameplay is very rewarding. Way better than any other life sim game I've played. And the story, dungeons, and combat make an already great experience even more engaging.

Three houses, great story, great cast of characters, great gameplay, great character design, great customization... I could replay the game forever, probably an extremely common one tho huh

Honestly at this point it’s a toss up between monster hunter 4 ultimate or persona 5 royal.

Monster Hunter is probably my favorite video game franchise period because I have so many memories with it. The general gameplay formula is just extremely addictive and easy to lose myself in. I have spent hours on these games just trying to forge a single weapon ir armor set and boy is it always a fun time. So many memories of hunting with friends too. I love this franchise to pieces.

Persona 5 Royal is just one of those games that tells the kind of story that just resonates with me on every conceivable level.  Everything about it from its characters to its themes and ideas just hit me in a spot no other game really has. It’s hard to put into words but I simply resonate with this game. I relate to it so well and it’s a game that really means a lot to me as it just generally expresses something I want to express in a way I never could.

I think for me it has to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Yeah, yeah, the first one is better, yada yada, but I engaged a lot more with 2 personally (not to say I don't love 1, but I prefer 2).

XC2 had so many moments that made me appreciate the characters, the world and the story it told. It was the first video game to make me cry- and not just the lump in your throat and the moist eyes, but like actual full on sobbing. It's just such a relatable story despite how down to earth it isn't- Rex may be annoying to a lot of people, but he's honestly my favourite video game protagonist of all time because of how much hope he maintains despite everything, how hard he tries in everything, and how he always picks himself up after every failure. His journey is also one I can resonate with- his coming of age as the game progresses, the way he discovers a proper purpose to his life, and learns to truly shoulder the burdens of his friends and family as the game draws to a close. The other characters are also really good- Nia is legitimately hilarious and also undergoes a compelling character arc, Tora is my precious weeb boi and him finally taking the chance to prove his worth is a really sweet aspect of his character that I wish was delved into more, Zeke is great- a mix between the serious mentor type and the comic relief, depending on what the situation calls for, and Morag is cool I guess. Her design is great though.

The aesthetics are also some of the best I've seen in a video game: the music is top tier, the environments are stunning. The biggest let down is with some of the voice acting in the English dub, but most of it is still really good (Zeke, Malos and Nia were all amazing voice-wise). Other small issues I have are the fact that the menus are pretty complicated, and the character designs for most of the girls are off-putting enough that I will never get my friends to play this game. If not for those things I'd say its overall presentation may surpass even Echoes, which is my gold standard for how a game should be presented.

Gameplay wise I really enjoy it, though admittedly I never dug too deep into the gameplay, mainly because I kind of sucked at it. But it plays really well, the combat is complicated at first (mainly due to crappy tutorials) but once you get the hang of it it is insanely fun and intuitive.

Overall I can admit that the game has many flaws, but that didn't stop it from resonating with me and showing me how a video game can emotionally impact me, and to this day I am still proud to say it's my favourite video game of all time.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Runner ups:

Echoes: as mentioned above, gorgeous aesthetic, plus I enjoyed the characters and even the story, and the gameplay is decent enough to me that I can actually play the game multiple times.

Octopath Traveler: It suffers from overall structure issues due to the free flowing nature of the stories and the fact that they had to account for the possible party combinations you could have at different points of the story, leaving each character to experience the story on their own but having your whole party show up in gameplay and optional scenes only. However the different stories are all so engaging, and having not one, not 2, but 8 different character driven narratives that make up the entire game appeals to me on a spiritual level. The gameplay is also fantastic, the music is phenomenal, and the graphics are just UUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHHH in the best way possible.

TMS#FE Encore: It's probably the most fun I've had playing a video game, what with the amazing gameplay system and the lighthearted humour sprinkled in at multiple opportunities. The game doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, and it shows. The characters are also all surprisingly relatable and compelling in their own ways.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, quickly followed by Fire Emblem Three Houses.

My top 10 favorite games is probably all Fire Emblem, It's the only game I just can't help but replay all the time.

my single favorite videogame is probably NieR:Automata, but Final Fantasy X comes as a really close second

Edited by Yexin

My favorite game of all time is Nights of Azure. It's absolutely heartrending story about love, it's incredibly well-written characters and conflict, it's fantastic gameplay, it's awesome soundtrack, and the humorous moments strewn throughout... it all goes together so amazingly well.

Edited by DragonFlames

I cannot name a single favorite game either. I can probably name a favorite series for some genres though.

For turn based strategy, my favorite would be Advance Wars, but Fire Emblem is not far behind. I also enjoy Battle of Polytopia a lot, a mobile game reminiscent of Civilization.

For real time strategy, I do not think I can name a single favorite series. There is just so much variety and styles. Planetary Annihilation, Total War, and Star Ruler would top the list. Age of Empires and Rusted Warfare are really good too. I have not played Halo Wars, Battle for Middle Earth, Wargame, and Dawn of War yet, but their gameplay videos look good.

For city builders, based on gameplay videos, the only really good one out there in my opinion is Cities Skyline.

For shooters, it would have to be Battlefield and Left 4 Dead. I have not played it yet, but based on footage, Ravenfield also looks pretty good, and it is basically a Battlefield clone.

For action and hack-and-slash, the Warriors series and other games from Tecmo-Koei are some of my favorites. I have played and like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Orochi, Gundam, and Fire Emblem so far, and I imagine I will also like Bladestorm, Pirate Warriors, Attack on Titan, Hyrule Warriors, and others. I am also interested in MASS Builder and Gundam Breaker.

I like real-time-action open-world games, so I am lumping RPGs, action-adventure, and other genres together if they fit these criteria, as their gameplay is similar or identical. Elder Scrolls, Fantasy Life, and GTA are some of my favorites that I have played, and I look forward to trying out Conan Exiles and Dynasty Warriors 9 once I get a better computer.

I do not like most classic turn based combat RPGs, with Pokémon being the primary exception.

I am not huge on racing either, but I really like Gran Turismo's realism, customization, and shear variety.

I have not played a lot of flying games, but I also really like Ace Combat.

Let's see...

Shadows of Valentia: I've replayed this game 4 times just because I love it so much, I never get tired of it. The art, the characters, the story, the music, and even the gameplay I enjoyed. 

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns: I've never put so much time into a farming simulator, it's just so charming and fun. 

Pokemon Platinum: My second Pokemon game, I just adore it. I've replayed it so many times, I love it. 

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. It's a bit hard for me to explain why it's my favourite, since "favourite" is extremely subjective. I just love the gameplay, characters, story, worldbuilding, etc. It also has my favourite video game protagonist of all time. 

My top 10 would probably be this, Radiant Dawn, Three Houses, a bunch of Legend of Zelda games (Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, Breath of the Wild, etc.), Shadow of the Colossus, and Pokémon Platinum in no particular order. 

I'm going to give it to Roller Coaster Tycoon like usual

I've been known to Worms Armageddon in the top spot the day after a Good multiplayer session, and back when my total number of games was low and I replayed just the few I had  (eg pre highschool) I usually had a Platformer in my top 3 (DKC 2, Banjo, Rocket on Wheels) 

Nowadays RCT and Worms are far less likely to even have temporary demotions from their top 2 status. If anything it would be Tony Hawk doing the debunking nowadays and not a platformer. 

8 hours ago, XRay said:

I cannot name a single favorite game either. I can probably name a favorite series for some genres though.

For turn based strategy, my favorite would be Advance Wars, but Fire Emblem is not far behind. I also enjoy Battle of Polytopia a lot, a mobile game reminiscent of Civilization.

For real time strategy, I do not think I can name a single favorite series. There is just so much variety and styles. Planetary Annihilation, Total War, and Star Ruler would top the list. Age of Empires and Rusted Warfare are really good too. I have not played Halo Wars, Battle for Middle Earth, Wargame, and Dawn of War yet, but their gameplay videos look good.

For city builders, based on gameplay videos, the only really good one out there in my opinion is Cities Skyline.

For shooters, it would have to be Battlefield and Left 4 Dead. I have not played it yet, but based on footage, Ravenfield also looks pretty good, and it is basically a Battlefield clone.

For action and hack-and-slash, the Warriors series and other games from Tecmo-Koei are some of my favorites. I have played and like Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Orochi, Gundam, and Fire Emblem so far, and I imagine I will also like Bladestorm, Pirate Warriors, Attack on Titan, Hyrule Warriors, and others. I am also interested in MASS Builder and Gundam Breaker.

I like real-time-action open-world games, so I am lumping RPGs, action-adventure, and other genres together if they fit these criteria, as their gameplay is similar or identical. Elder Scrolls, Fantasy Life, and GTA are some of my favorites that I have played, and I look forward to trying out Conan Exiles and Dynasty Warriors 9 once I get a better computer.

I do not like most classic turn based combat RPGs, with Pokémon being the primary exception.

I am not huge on racing either, but I really like Gran Turismo's realism, customization, and shear variety.

I have not played a lot of flying games, but I also really like Ace Combat.

Battlefield is like my third-favorite game series, especially Battlefield 1, love that game. The campaign is so amazing and the multiplayer is always fun to play, it really aged well if you ask me. The game I love the most as of right now would be Red Dead Redemption 2 tbh. 

Mother 3 is hands down my favorite video game of all time. The music, story, and gameplay are some of the best I've ever experienced with an RPG. Team Fortress 2 is also another fantastic game that I adore, and I really hope that the game and the community can overcome the bot crisis going on with it right now. 

Other series' that I adore (what's in the parentheses is my favorite in the respective series): The Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask), Fire Emblem (Gaiden [without Gaiden, we wouldn't have gotten Echoes, and I love SoV {which would technically make SoV my favorite, but I digress}]), Castlevania (Bloodlines for classic style Castlevania, Portrait of Ruin for Metroidvania style, and Lament of Innocence for 3D style).

Heroes would definitely be my favorite mobile game, as shallow as that may sound. It's basically Fire Emblem on-the-go, or whenever I have spare time. I've been playing since launch, so I'd say it's the game I've sunk the most time into (besides maybe Smash and TF2).

If I have time to get into Final Fantasy 8, I may consider that near the top of my favorite games list.

Oh, and Pokémon Black 2/White 2 are the best in the series, fight me.

Persona 3 FES, still is my favorite RPG game to date. I play that game until I broke it. Fire Emblem Sacred Stone, I have literally played 3 game cartridges to death and I would do it again if I could find another copy. Valkyria Chronicles, one of the most unique games I've played and has a great story with it too. Lastly Infinite Undiscovery, no matter what anyone says this game was great.

Edited by ciphertul

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country. The gameplay was amazing, and I really liked their cast alot. Also quests were actually fun for once! 

I just really enjoyed everything about the game.