Favorite video game?

GoldenAether

Mother 3. It manages to be so many things at once: comedy, tragedy, adventure, mystery, drama, horror... and everything inbetween. And it combines them in a way to make for something that's truly larger than life.

It's also one of the very few games that's made me cry, so there's that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocarina of Time and Chrono Trigger

Both are epic adventures with lovable characters, simple but engaging story. INCREDIBLE music. Amazing levels and design. And the worlds are just immersive as heck!! I love those games so much!! Also 3DS Oot and CT in general are beautiful games

My favorite game has always changed over the years. I would say my personal favorites are Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Persona 4, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Megaman X1, Megaman Battle Network 5, Zero no Kiseki and The Messenger.

Edited by NSSKG151

Top 9:

FE6 for having one of the better worldbuilding in the franchise.

Persona 3 Portable for having a well-written female protagonist.

Persona 4 Golden for pulling off a well-written story that isn't as dark, and with a quite logical mystery when you think about it.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions for being fun in itself, and also introducing me to the above duology!

Final Fantasy X was quite interesting that at least parts of it felt like an allegory of some of the New Testament passages.

Final Fantasy X-2 was fun to play, and I feel is underrated in its story. For one, the personality changes with Yuna and Rikku actually makes sense when you think about it! Second, it is just nice to see a glorified happy ending for Spira in detail, when most games only briefly show or sometimes even mention the happy ending in stories. Plus, it means Yuna's struggle in FFX(-1) was worth the happy ending afterwards.

VII Remake shows just how much world-building there is, even just in Midgar!

Pokemon GSC for being explicity based off the real world - something that in RPGs I haven't seen mainstream besides Shin Megami Tensei at the time.

Pokemon X and Y for actually internationalising the Pokemon World, and returning to take note of the real-life counterpart's region which was lacking in Gen 3-5.

Edited by henrymidfields

23 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Pokemon X and Y for actually internationalising the Pokemon World, and returning to take note of the real-life counterpart's region which was lacking in Gen 3-5.

Black and White was actually the first Pokémon game with a region based on somewhere outside of Japan; specifically, New York City. 

I'd say my favorite video game is League of Legends.

League definitely gets a bad rap for it's community, which is understandable. Most matches go by without any negative interaction, but it is frequent enough to warrant mention.

The game itself is fantastic. It's the perfect mix of approachability and depth. The various characters are easy to pick up and play and the core gameplay loop is pretty simple. However, each character and aspect of the game can often take years to master; whether that be knowing when you can all-in your opponent with a given character, to knowing where the enemy jungler is going to be at any given time without actually seeing them.

My biggest gripe about the game is the balance, or lack thereof. Often, Riot Games, the creators of League, will opt to forcibly cycle characters in out of the meta in order to 'keep the game fresh.' In essence, no matter how poorly designed a character is, they will be shoved into relevancy at one time or another simply because they have been out of the limelight for what Riot believes is too long a time. Unfortunately, fan-favorites and characters that are well designed are almost inevitably going to remain terrible forever, as they are popular. Whether the character is weak or strong is irrelevant: if the character is popular, they are on the chopping block.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:28 AM, vanguard333 said:

Black and White was actually the first Pokémon game with a region based on somewhere outside of Japan; specifically, New York City. 

BW wasn't all that explicitly American/US-like, unfortunately. At least not compared to, say, Earthbound, Catherine, Silent Hill, or the real-life sections of Ni no Kuni.

Hmm, this is a toughie for me since a lot of games have elements that would be in my favorite game, but it feels like no one game has everything I would want. I think it would be easier to name my favorite games in my favorite game series.

• Super Mario Bros. 3 - Love the world themes
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Awesome soundtrack, great controls and visuals, multiple playable Kongs
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - My favorite designs for Link and Zelda thus far, multiple weapons and clothing, climbing, voice acting, the return of Gerudo (but not how the Gerudo were handled...)
  • Star Fox Adventures - Beautiful visuals and music, Krystal
  • Mega Man 9 - Best weapon selection, Splash Woman
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Offers the best worldbuilding and character development of the series thus far
  • Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage - My favorite levels, best boss battles, Elora
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - Sasha, Dr. Nefarious
  • Sly 4: Thieves in Time - Best graphics, functional costumes, belly dancing Carmelita

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is my all time favorite game for sure. Easily the game I have the most hours into as well. Overall as a video game series, I'd say the Zelda games are my favorite. Though there isn't a specific one I can ever pick as my favorite. Aside from Nintendo games, Dark Souls III would be a favorite, absolutely adore that game.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Truly the first two games I've played, and I still play them, after more than 10 years. (and yes, they're still fun for me)

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 10:56 PM, Stylus said:

I'd say my favorite video game is League of Legends.

League definitely gets a bad rap for it's community, which is understandable. Most matches go by without any negative interaction, but it is frequent enough to warrant mention.

The game itself is fantastic. It's the perfect mix of approachability and depth. The various characters are easy to pick up and play and the core gameplay loop is pretty simple. However, each character and aspect of the game can often take years to master; whether that be knowing when you can all-in your opponent with a given character, to knowing where the enemy jungler is going to be at any given time without actually seeing them.

My biggest gripe about the game is the balance, or lack thereof. Often, Riot Games, the creators of League, will opt to forcibly cycle characters in out of the meta in order to 'keep the game fresh.' In essence, no matter how poorly designed a character is, they will be shoved into relevancy at one time or another simply because they have been out of the limelight for what Riot believes is too long a time. Unfortunately, fan-favorites and characters that are well designed are almost inevitably going to remain terrible forever, as they are popular. Whether the character is weak or strong is irrelevant: if the character is popular, they are on the chopping block.

I was not expecting to this game in this thread. I applaud you for such a bold statement.
Many would hate you for saying League is fun and even more for calling it your favourite game.
I love it too, maybe even the same reasons. I'm hesitant in calling it my favourite game (despite how much I play it) because I can't guarantee I'll always have fun every time I sign on.
But I've made amazing friends because of it and have had amazing memories because of League of Legends, despite balance updates, reworks, map changes, etc.. the good moments are something that will never change.

Now I'm not really sure what to call my favourite game
I love Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea but i'v only played through it once and I wouldn't play it again so it feels silly to call that my favourite game ever.
Maybe Dark Souls could be my favourite but I can't decide which one to chose.
Maybe a nostalgic choice like Pilotwings 64, but I haven't played that in years.
Jeez maybe League of Legends is my favourite game after all. It's the game I've put the most hours into, I don't think I have much choice but to call it my favourite.

Fire Emblem Awakening: While it may not have been my first, or even the best FE game, It helped pull me through a very dark period in my life. The cast ended up feeling like a group of close friends rather than just characters in a story. On top of that, I can still replay it over and over and not get bored. 

Halo Combat Evolved: The easy best Halo game for me. I've been the campaign multiple times and I still go back to play it. 

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role-playing Game: In my opinion, the best fallout game. Great storytelling, super atmospheric, and one of the last great isometric RPGs. 

Edited by Sir Gerwald of Vallora

On 8/27/2020 at 4:16 PM, Julian Teehee said:

Super Smash Bros Brawl just because of Subspace Emissary

Well, even if it was originally for just one game, I'll mention my ten most favorite videogames (in no order).

1. Super Smash Bros Brawl
  2. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
  3. Persona 5 Royal
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  5. Trails of Azure
  6. Devil Survivor 2
  7. Persona 3 FES
  8. Trails in the Sky 3rd
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles
  10. Fire Emblem Thracia 776

I love a lot of games, but my absolute favourite ever is The Sims 3, a game from a series that i've been a fan of since I was little, and it's so much fun to play and create stories.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:46 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role-playing Game: In my opinion, the best fallout game. Great storytelling, super atmospheric, and one of the last great isometric RPGs. 

Another term for isometric RPGs is CRPG's (computer Role Playing Game) there's still game like that being made like Baldur's Gate and Divinity Original Sin.
Unfortunately, not many are like the original Fallout, Underrail is the only modern game I can think of but its more subterranean rather then post nuclear wasteland.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Shrow said:

Another term for isometric RPGs is CRPG's (computer Role Playing Game) there's still game like that being made like Baldur's Gate and Divinity Original Sin.
Unfortunately, not many are like the original Fallout, Underrail is the only modern game I can think of but its more subterranean rather then post nuclear wasteland.

I'll have to check it out. I never really liked Baldur's gate, but thats more because I've personally never been a fan of D&D. I did think Divinity was quite good.

Huh. Hard to believe I haven't posted here. I'll do my top 5. First three in no particular order, then the last two in order.

Tales of Berseria

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Okami

Breath of the Wild

Fallout 4

I love the Zelda franchise overall more than any as it has the highest concentration of games I love but so far only BotW has broken top 5. We'll see if that changes going forward. As for the others, RD has a story and characters I still love, Berseria stole my heart right from the word go, Okami is so charming I've probably played it over 20 times, and what can I say about Fallout 4? I get to shoot people I don't like. More games need that option lol.

• 5 months later...

After reading so many games which I do hear for the first time, I am kinda excited to try a few of them. I've been playing online games only for my entire life, and sometimes would be nice to play some RP and just chill while listening to some music and drinking some tea. My favourite game so far still remains World of Warcraft, because I spent my all childhood playing it. Now I have a job and family, but I am still playing this game, when I don't have time to go raiding, I just buy wow service to get my gear to the max level.

Edited by Madele

Guild Wars 1. The respect this online CRPG had for the player's intelligence and creativity was matched only for its regard for their time and convenience. The game encouraged experimentation and learning through a deep skill system involving dual classes and hundreds of skills to choose for your 8 slots. And if you "got it wrong" or wanted a change of pace, changing your build was instant and free. Couple this with some of the best, most varied competitive modes of any game and hundreds of hours of story content, and you have one hell of a game.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is still unmatched in the franchise, IMO. Between its worldbuilding, cast, story, and map design, it remains the most memorable game.

Persona 5 is an escapist dream. The cast of friends all felt so real, and the combat was turn-based JRPG perfection, complemented by a great story and funky soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

Original Xenoblade Chronicles, no question asked.

The story and music are the best of any game that I've ever played, and the MMO-like gameplay without actually being an MMO really appeals to me.

The original soundtrack is still better than the Definitive Edition's too.