Does anyone remember the fe2 pc port?

Peter The Cool

Before the release of the 3DS remake, I recall a fan project attempting to remake Fire Emblem Gaiden (FE2) for the PC. I'm not sure if I just had a fever dream or something but I can remember playing some of it back in the day. I couldn't find any evidence of it existing though. I seam to remember it was in Japanese?

Edited by Peter The Cool

It strikes a familiar bell. I think it was made in RPG maker or something. I never personally played it, but from looking at videos one of the weird thing that struck me is that after beating Duma you suddenly have to play Thracia's final map.

Edit:

Here, is this it?

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Here's a thread about it.

I remember it well. Though I question some of things it did, so I didn't really found it that much appealing to try.

It does serve as a nice little relic showing how desperate people were for some kind of version of Gaiden that was more player friendly than the NES. Though it didn't seem quite player friendly enough for me personally to give it a try.

Ah bro that shit was my jam. It's not quite a Fire Emblem game in feel, with the MP system it ends up feeling more like another SRPG game. Still really fun, if a bit buggy. It's honestly more broken than the original Gaiden, but I'd still recommend it to any FE fan.

Tbh I just like controlling people with the mouse, it's super convenient. 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:41 AM, Jotari said:

It strikes a familiar bell. I think it was made in RPG maker or something. I never personally played it, but from looking at videos one of the weird thing that struck me is that after beating Duma you suddenly have to play Thracia's final map.

Edit:

Here, is this it?

Yep this is it. I just confessed the part about the translation being in Chinese, not Japanese. Thanks!

Edited by Peter The Cool

I remember this was really clunky because it just used an entirely different engine that was sorta archaic in its own way.  You didn't really traverse freely across the map, you just selected options after battle for if you wanted to go to place A or place B.  Also, some of the midis were just plain stinky, in only such a way that a standard Microsoft midi format can make them (I have to wonder if having a different soundfont installed would change the midi sound in-game, too).  Still, it was a decent attempt - probably better than I would've done, given the tools at our disposal at the time.

I played it because I wanted to try playing Gaiden but didn't want to put up with archaic Famicom FE nonsense.  Maybe at some point I could give it another go.