Looking for some help, advice, and information in regards to some of the game mechanics and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arevir Wehttam

So yeah... Fates is my first step into the land of the 3DS games, and only my 3rd FE game overall. My first 2 were Path of Radiance, followed by it’s sequel Radiant Dawn, and I’ve enjoyed these SO much that I really wanted to check out more of the series. 

Anyways, after a bit of research.. I ended up going with Conquest, as I personally found even Radiant dawn a bit too easy, even on hard mode (it was more annoying than hard, considering no enemy attack range, but w/e), and wanted a challenge. However, I feel I might be regretting my choice, not because I’m worried about the game being too hard, but because I have literally no experience with these game mechanics.

So what I’m trying to figure out, and would like to know more about is the following:

1) How important is utilizing the pair-up and attack stance mechanics? Like is the game strictly balanced around using these as much as possible?

2) In regards to pair-up and attack stance.. let me know if I’m understanding it correctly.

- For pair-up, you pair-up via in the ingame command, and upon pairing up.. you gain stat boosts (based on your support level with the unit you are paired with, along with additional stats based on units class). There is also some meter that builds up (how exactly does this fill up, is it based on attacking/per turn?), and when maxed, it automatically activates on your next battle negating all damage. I believe that’s extent of my knowledge on pair-up, if there is anymore mechanics/benefits that revolve around pair-up.. please let me know.

- As for attack stance, this is automatically activated as long as you are adjacent to an ally unit, and when entering a battle, the unit you are adjacent to will also unleash an attack. I believe that’s the extent of my knowledge on attack stance. Does support bonuses also affect attack stance (or the units class?)? What dictates the amount damage that the non-lead unit will deal? Can the non-lead unit activate/proc combat skills? I’m assuming all weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage and weapon effectiveness is taken into account for the non lead unit?  Who gets the bulk of the exp... the lead unit, or the one who dealt the final blow? 

3) Promotion, seals, and so on. This part I’m completely lost on. I’ve tried reading into it, and instead I manage to get even more confused. If somebody can please explain to me how leveling and promotion works, along with a gist of how all the seals work, or even link me to something that does.. I’d really appreciate it. I don’t know if this is true or not, but it seems like it is incredibly easy to mess something up considering all the different avenues you can take in regards to promotion and using seals, and how and which skills you acquire and so on... and I’d like to benefit from these things as much as possible.

4) Is there a “calculations” page somewhere that I can refer to? On the main page of serenesforest.com, when choosing the 2 games I previously played (PoR & RD), there was a calculations tab that told me how hit rate/avoid is calculated, how attack speed is calculated along with the doubling threshold and so on. I don’t know where to look for any of this information all in one spot. In game it tells me you need 5 more speed than your enemy to double, but how is speed calculated in this game.. if the weapons don’t have weight? Is it just my listed speed value with no further calculation? Does Awakening and Fates use similar calculations, and if so.. can I just refer to the calculations tab on the awakening section?

5) The weapon triangle. I understand how it works in regards to: Swords/Magic > Axes/Bows > Lance/Hidden Weapons > Sword/Magic, what I want to know is what is the WTA/WTD in this game? 

6) If there is any other general information, tips, or advice... or anything that will help for a first time playthrough, that would be absolutely awesome and much appreciated. Such as building supports, best weapons, good units, good skills, good classes, and so on.

I’ve been trying to look for all this information, so I am sorry if it’s readily available, it’s just I keep finding basic guides of things I already know, or I find something else that just makes things even more complicating after reading it. Thing is I when play games like this, I like knowing how everything works and how my stats are calculated, and so on, so serenesforest has been a god send for me, but there seems to be a lack of general information on this game and I feel like I’m at the point where it’s not even worth getting into and checking out older FE titles instead. Or maybe I should play Awakening first to get a feel for the newer mechanics?

I don’t know. Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really want to give this game a chance as the the art style looks amazing to me, it seems to have a lot of depth (which I like, as long as I understand how everything is working), and it’s suppose to present good challenging gameplay.. which are all things I look for in a game like this. Thanks in advance to anyone that goes out of their way to leave a comment, and I apologize for asking so many questions at once. 

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Conquest is more so than the other routes. You aren't required to do either, but you will find that especially in the early you don't want to have all your units paired up because you won't have enough damage to kill all the enemies. Defensive stance also blocks enemy attack stances so you will want to use that a lot as well.

2. You pretty much got it, the adjacent person attacks at half damage and can activate skills and crits. Say 3 pegs fly at you and are next to each other and you kill one with an archer you can have someone stand next to the archer and and use his bow to kill another one. Using a partner with an effective weapon is very good for this game in particular and you should plan around using it a lot.

3. For CQ I recommend using master seals at level 15 or higher. This is one of the few games where you can see multiple units hit 20/20 in level ups by the end of the game so it's up to you to decide how to best make use of them. This page https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/other-classes/class-skills/ shows you what skills each class gets and at what level so you can plan ahead on what you want. Heart seals let someone promote into a different class that's unique for each person, usually tied to their personality. The class you pick in character creation dictates what you can heart seal into. This page https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/class-sets/ shows you what everyone can class into with a heart seal. Use them if you A/ want the skills from that class (you can always heart seal back into your starting class later and you can buy a few heart seals from shops) or B/ think that unit would better perform in that class.

4. I don't remember a calculations tab for fates being in there, but I can tell you it is 5 AS to double. There is no weight technically, but you can see some weapons make you slower if you read steel weapons/javelins/handaxe description. So ya it is just speed make sure to check enemy skills as well, you will see a skill called darting blow that adds a bunch of speed if they initiate.

5. WTA is +1 MT and +10 HIT, WTD is the same but reverse. There are hidden bonuses from weapon ranks that might make things complicated if you want all the information. I can't seem to find it on the fates page so let me quote someone who made a list before from here 

Spoiler

Weapon Rank Bonus

Effect depends on the weapon rank and type of the equipped weapon.

(1) Sword/Katana, Dagger/Shuriken

(2) Lance/Naginata, Bow/Yumi, Tome/Scroll, Dragonstone, Beaststone, Fist, Breath, Puppet, Stone

(3) Axe/Club

(4) Staff/Rod

• E/D Rank: (1) None / (2) None / (3) None / (4) None
  • C Rank: (1) Attack +1 / (2) Attack +1 / (3) Hit Rate +5 / (4) Recovery +1
  • B Rank: (1) Attack +2 / (2) Attack +1, Hit Rate +5 / (3) Hit Rate +10 / (4) Recovery +1, Hit Rate +5
  • A Rank: (1) Attack +3 / (2) Attack +2, Hit Rate +5 / (3) Attack +1, Hit Rate +10 / (4) Recovery +2, Hit Rate +5
  • S Rank: (1) Attack +4, Hit Rate +5 / (2) Attack +3, Hit Rate +10 / (3) Attack +2, Hit Rate +15 / (4) Recovery +3, Hit Rate +10

* Note: Weapon Rank Bonus does not apply to units at disadvantage in the weapon triangle

6. I'm not sure what difficulty you are on, but CQ is a game where most people are going to have to take it slow, so you get plenty of time to build up whoever you want and everyone has a respective niche in this game. So i'm sorry if you want real tier list advice but I think on your first play through you should whoever you want. Just don't get caught in the "prepromote bad" mindset because Camilla and Xander can be extremely helpful and are almost essential for completing the game on lunatic with your sanity intact. Other than that use whoever you want, one of the funnest parts of this game is experimenting with different units and different classes. Also don't let other games deter you from Armor Knights in this game. When they promote they get a really good skill at level 5.  

1) Attack Stance is your best bet at clearing screens. Mandatory if you use a smaller party.

2) Defensive Stance blocks Enemy Attack Stance. After five consecutive attack-interactions, a guard gauge will fill and the next attack will be blocked.

On Player Phase, you can choose which adjacent ally joins you in Attack Stance (with R.)
On Enemy Phase, the adjacent ally with the highest Support Level will join you in Attack Stance.

Attack Stance allies deal half damage and reduced Hit. They can land critical hits and activate skills. If they wield a Brave weapon, they will also double.

The lead unit will get most of the Experience in Attack Stance, even if they miss. This is useful for low-level or weak units.

3) Master Seals can be used from level 10 onwards. I recommend you to promote your core units at level 19.

Heart/ Partner/ Friendship Seals do not alter the level but change you into another class.
You can always return to your main class through a Heart Seal (they are scarce for 2/3 of the game, though.)

Cornflakes passes her secondary class (the “Talent” you chose at the beginning) to Kana and her man, but her other children get Nohr Noble.

Children inherit one skill from each parent. The last one in their skill list (whose order you can alter.)

Skills are learned at levels 1, 10, 5-promoted and 15-promoted. If you change classes, you will start learning previous skills on your next level-up.
Each unit has a Personal Skill and five others. You can disable skills during preparations.

4) Weapons have no weight but they may have penalties and other effects. Make sure to read the descriptions.

Ranged swords/ axes/ lances cannot double.

6) Always check enemy skills.
More than once.
They will kill you.
Repeatedly.

Play it on Hard. Go Casual on your first tries if you must, but stay away form Normal; it is a different game that teaches you nothing.
About 90 % of what applies to Hard also applies to Lunatic. Enemies have the exact same statistics, it is all about their skill set.

Hard is challenging but fair.
Lunatic is demanding and fun but unforgiving. And its Endgame is a very specific puzzle.
Normal is worthless.

Enjoy the ride, mate. I love replaying Conquest.

Edited by starburst

Sorry I may be going into a little too much detail here, but it sounds like that is what you want.

9 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

1) How important is utilizing the pair-up and attack stance mechanics? Like is the game strictly balanced around using these as much as possible?

It is clearly built with these mechanics in mind, but not exclusively one or the other. A lot of people got into the habit of always being paired thanks to Awakening, but the game did a good job of balancing both of these mechanics. There are times when the more player phase focused advantages of extra damage and accuracy you can get using attack stances (and the massive advantage in mobility granted by starting unpaired) is the best way to go, and there are times when the more enemy phase focused advantages of greater survivability, and stats granted by pairup is the better way to go. Personally I am a fan of a more attack stance focused player phase style of play, but part of the fun of Conquest is that it isn't the only way to play, and the game will throw problems where the other stance will work better, to encourage you to mix up and experiment with other play styles.

9 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

2) In regards to pair-up and attack stance.. let me know if I’m understanding it correctly.

11 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- For pair-up, you pair-up via in the ingame command, and upon pairing up.. you gain stat boosts (based on your support level with the unit you are paired with, along with additional stats based on units class)

Yeah its stat bonus based on their current class, plus a bonus for support level based on the character. You can find the class bonuses here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/pair-up-stats/ and the bonus for character's support level here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/pair-up-stats/

12 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

There is also some meter that builds up (how exactly does this fill up, is it based on attacking/per turn?), and when maxed, it automatically activates on your next battle negating all damage.

The meter has 10 spaces, it increases by 2 every time the character makes an attack, and takes an attack (for example if the paired character enter a round of combat where he/she doubles an enemy would result in an increase of 6;  it increases 2 for the first attack, 2 for the enemies counter attack, and 2 for the final attack) this is irregardless of if the attacks hit. Additionally the blocked attack occurs on the first attack with the gauge maxed (for example if a unit had 8 on the gauge when an enemy enter a combat where they double the paired unit the gauges maxes out after the first attack, thus the paired units counter doesn't increase the gauge, and he then fully blocks the second attack). Note that the block is used even if the attack has a 0% chance of hitting, or does 0 damage. Additionally it decrease if there are full turns in which they see no combat, and there are complicated rules for what happens when you transfer units that have gauge (don't worry, it shows what the gauges will be when you try to transfer).

12 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I believe that’s extent of my knowledge on pair-up, if there is anymore mechanics/benefits that revolve around pair-up.. please let me know.

You are missing a few of them. First off paired units prevent the bonus attacks from attack stance. Note that the prevented attack stance hit doesn't increase the gauge. Also of note enemies can start the game paired, but do not pairup during game. Another easily forgotten bonus is they get +5 crit dodge while paired. Finally I want to emphasize the movement options made available through pairing. There are 4 special actions created by the pairup system: 1st an unpaired unit can Pairup with another unpaired unit (note this occurs after movement, and the unit they paired with can still take its action); 2nd a paired unit can Switch to the back side of the pairing (note doing so occur after moving, but doesn't end the turn); 3rd a paired unit can Transfer their partner to an adjacent unit/pair, or unpaired unit can Transfer with an adjacent paired unit, in which case those units switch partners (note doing so occurs after movement, once per turn, but doesn't end the turn); 4th a paired unit can Separate the unit in the back into an empty space adjacent (note this occurs after movement, and ends the turn). An example of how this can be used is to have an armor knight move to pairup with a cavalier further up that hasn't moved, then that cavalier that now has the paired knight can move ahead, switch to the knight, then transfer the cavalier over to an adjacent ally that has no partner to then attack with an attack stance, and then have a third unpaired unit move in to transfer the cavalier over and separate him out further ahead.

16 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- As for attack stance, this is automatically activated as long as you are adjacent to an ally unit, and when entering a battle, the unit you are adjacent to will also unleash an attack.

As long as the unit in combat is unpaired and adjacent to an ally. When it occurs during enemy phase the game decides which adjacent ally gets the attack stance hit based on support levels, but during player phase you can decide which adjacent ally gets the hit by using the R button to cycle through them. Two things to note, first enemies get attack stance hits, second enemy phase attack stance hits can be wasted if your highest support points are with a healer with no means to attack (like Elise before promoting).

16 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I believe that’s the extent of my knowledge on attack stance. Does support bonuses also affect attack stance (or the units class?)?

You get bonuses to Hit, Avoid, Crit, and crit Dodge based on the support level, with no support level it is +10 hit, and the bonuses only increase from there (see here: for the exact bonuses: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-bonus/). If there are multiple allies adjacent all the bonuses are added together and divided by 2.5. Note that paired units get these bonuses as well if they are adjacent to allies, but always divide by 2.5. I will also note that the one attack stance hit you get occurs after the player unit's first round of combat, and before the enemies next round of combat.

18 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

What dictates the amount damage that the non-lead unit will deal?

The attack stance hit deals half the normal damage rounded down.

18 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Can the non-lead unit activate/proc combat skills? I’m assuming all weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage and weapon effectiveness is taken into account for the non lead unit?  

It is an entirely normal attack that deals half damage, with none of the bonuses to hit/avoid/crit/dodge described above. This means it can miss, it can crit, it can trigger skills, it uses effective damage, it can cause debuffs, etc.

1 hour ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

3) Promotion, seals, and so on. This part I’m completely lost on. I’ve tried reading into it, and instead I manage to get even more confused. If somebody can please explain to me how leveling and promotion works, along with a gist of how all the seals work, or even link me to something that does.. I’d really appreciate it.

Serenes forest has a page on it here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/class-changing/

but I can review them as well in my own words in the spoiler box below

Spoiler

Master Seal- When a unit is level 10 or above it can use a Master Seal to become one of its promoted classes. Each class has two available promotion options you can choose from, with some minor exceptions (the dancer class doesn't promote, but can go to level 40, the beast units only have one promotion option, and the Nohrian Prin(cess) class has one promotion option in Birthright and Conquest, and Felicia and Jakob start in what are normally promoted classes, but have weird unique rules to them to make them act like unprompted units and). I will also note that promoting early has an impact on that units gain experience like their actual level is their stated level + 20 - (20- level promoted at)/2, so a level 10/1 unit gains experience like a level 16 unit, and a level 20/1 unit gains xp like a level 21 unit.

Offspring Seal - When characters reach an S support with eachother (except with same sex pairings), a paralogue becomes available in which you can recruit the child they have. The enemies in the paralogue, and the child you recruit both scale their level based on how far into the game you are when you decide to play it. If you are far enough into the game that the child would be in a promoted class based on this scaling, they start at level 20 with an Offspring Seal in their inventory. That Offspring seal can only be used by that child, and lets you chose which class they promote to, and auto-levels them to the level the scaling would have made them. It cannot be used if you use any seal on the child before using it.

The other types of seals do not promote your characters, but simply change their class. Their level, experience, and whether or not they are promoted all stay the same when using these types of seals

Heart Seal - Each Gen 1 character has 1 bonus class available, 2 if they can only support with Corrin, and child units inherit one bonus class from each parent. This seal let them switch to any of these bonus classes, or their base class, and if they are promoted they can change to any of the promotion options available to the bonus or base classes. You can find a list of which characters get which classes here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/class-sets/

Partner Seal - Using this seal lets you class change your unit to the base class of whomever they have an S support with a few exceptions. First you can't use this to class change to Nohrian Noble, the dancer class, a beast class, or the Villager class, and instead they change to their partner's first bonus class. Second if the class they would change into is the same as their case class, instead they change to their partner's first bonus class. In the unlikely even that both of these occur they instead get the "parallel class" (generally these are the Hoshidan class that is most similar, but the specifics can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/classes/parallel-classes/) of their partner's base class. Just like the Heart seal if the character is already promoted they can chose one of the promotion options of said class.

Friendship Seal - All characters except Corrin (and those that only support with Corrin) get 1-3 same gendered supports, when they hit A in that support they have the option of making one of these an A+ support immediately in which case they can use this seal to class change into this characters base class. This works exactly like Partner seal otherwise.

2 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

4) Is there a “calculations” page somewhere that I can refer to? On the main page of serenesforest.com, when choosing the 2 games I previously played (PoR & RD), there was a calculations tab that told me how hit rate/avoid is calculated, how attack speed is calculated along with the doubling threshold and so on. I don’t know where to look for any of this information all in one spot. In game it tells me you need 5 more speed than your enemy to double, but how is speed calculated in this game.. if the weapons don’t have weight? Is it just my listed speed value with no further calculation? Does Awakening and Fates use similar calculations, and if so.. can I just refer to the calculations tab on the awakening section?

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/61733-calculations-for-fates/

This has a lot of the fiddly details. As for the speed question, there is no weight, but some weapons, and skills influence the speed used to calculate doubling, but you need to read them carefully, for example steel weapons reduce speed by 3 when checking if the wielder can make a follow-up attack, but not when checking if their enemy can double attack (same idea with the +5 speed from darting blow).

2 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

5) If there is any other general information, tips, or advice... or anything that will help for a first time playthrough, that would be absolutely awesome and much appreciated. Such as building supports, best weapons, good units, good skills, good classes, and so on.

The most important tip is to pay attention to enemy skills.

The personal skills that talk about supporting, or pairing generally work with both attack stance, and pairups.

Dodge is critical avoid.

The Cavalier's shelter skill can be used as a psuedo-dance, as they can shelter a unit that has already acted, and then another unit can transfer that unit over and switch to them to give them another action (of particular note this can be used to get a second dance out of your dancer).

Do not be afraid to buy and use a few tonics, those temporary +2s can make things a lot easier on you.

As for unit advice:

Camilla is really good

if you go with a female Corrin, using the first heart seal you get on Jakob to make him a Paladin makes him extremely good.

Xander has some massive speed issues, but if you can find a way to fix them (usually by giving him all of the speed wings, a Berserker to permanently pairup with him, a speed meal, and/or speed tonic) he is also extremely good.

Elise's personal skill Lily's poise is amazingly useful if you are careful with positioning.

Odin's daughter Ophelia is the best mage in Fates (as long as she gets a magically oriented mother) and her paralogue gives you access to some of the best tomes in the game.

Effie is fairly good.

1 hour ago, JimmyBeans said:

1. Conquest is more so than the other routes. You aren't required to do either, but you will find that especially in the early you don't want to have all your units paired up because you won't have enough damage to kill all the enemies. Defensive stance also blocks enemy attack stances so you will want to use that a lot as well.

2. You pretty much got it, the adjacent person attacks at half damage and can activate skills and crits. Say 3 pegs fly at you and are next to each other and you kill one with an archer you can have someone stand next to the archer and and use his bow to kill another one. Using a partner with an effective weapon is very good for this game in particular and you should plan around using it a lot.

3. For CQ I recommend using master seals at level 15 or higher. This is one of the few games where you can see multiple units hit 20/20 in level ups by the end of the game so it's up to you to decide how to best make use of them. This page https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/other-classes/class-skills/ shows you what skills each class gets and at what level so you can plan ahead on what you want. Heart seals let someone promote into a different class that's unique for each person, usually tied to their personality. The class you pick in character creation dictates what you can heart seal into. This page https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/class-sets/ shows you what everyone can class into with a heart seal. Use them if you A/ want the skills from that class (you can always heart seal back into your starting class later and you can buy a few heart seals from shops) or B/ think that unit would better perform in that class.

4. I don't remember a calculations tab for fates being in there, but I can tell you it is 5 AS to double. There is no weight technically, but you can see some weapons make you slower if you read steel weapons/javelins/handaxe description. So ya it is just speed make sure to check enemy skills as well, you will see a skill called darting blow that adds a bunch of speed if they initiate.

5. WTA is +1 MT and +10 HIT, WTD is the same but reverse. There are hidden bonuses from weapon ranks that might make things complicated if you want all the information. I can't seem to find it on the fates page so let me quote someone who made a list before from here 

Reveal hidden contents

Weapon Rank Bonus

Effect depends on the weapon rank and type of the equipped weapon.

(1) Sword/Katana, Dagger/Shuriken

(2) Lance/Naginata, Bow/Yumi, Tome/Scroll, Dragonstone, Beaststone, Fist, Breath, Puppet, Stone

(3) Axe/Club

(4) Staff/Rod

• E/D Rank: (1) None / (2) None / (3) None / (4) None
  • C Rank: (1) Attack +1 / (2) Attack +1 / (3) Hit Rate +5 / (4) Recovery +1
  • B Rank: (1) Attack +2 / (2) Attack +1, Hit Rate +5 / (3) Hit Rate +10 / (4) Recovery +1, Hit Rate +5
  • A Rank: (1) Attack +3 / (2) Attack +2, Hit Rate +5 / (3) Attack +1, Hit Rate +10 / (4) Recovery +2, Hit Rate +5
  • S Rank: (1) Attack +4, Hit Rate +5 / (2) Attack +3, Hit Rate +10 / (3) Attack +2, Hit Rate +15 / (4) Recovery +3, Hit Rate +10

* Note: Weapon Rank Bonus does not apply to units at disadvantage in the weapon triangle

6. I'm not sure what difficulty you are on, but CQ is a game where most people are going to have to take it slow, so you get plenty of time to build up whoever you want and everyone has a respective niche in this game. So i'm sorry if you want real tier list advice but I think on your first play through you should whoever you want. Just don't get caught in the "prepromote bad" mindset because Camilla and Xander can be extremely helpful and are almost essential for completing the game on lunatic with your sanity intact. Other than that use whoever you want, one of the funnest parts of this game is experimenting with different units and different classes. Also don't let other games deter you from Armor Knights in this game. When they promote they get a really good skill at level 5.  

Wow... this has been EXTREMELY helpful, I really do appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on everything. 

I’m sorry to bother you for more information, but if I can pick your brain a little more information.. I’m still a little confused on a few things:

1) So this all makes perfect sense, no problem here

2) Thanks for the extra information in regards to effective weaponry, I didn’t even think of using the attack stance like that, really cool!

3) Now I definitely understand seals and promotion much better after reading this, however I’m still a little curious on a few things. So in this game, at most you can level up 40 times (20/20), this can be extended with an infinity seal from what I read(?). Now if I don’t use an infinity seal, I have to plan my level ups accordingly if I plan on using seals and so on to acquire skills, correct?

- So just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, this is an example scenario; I level up MU (Corrin) to level 20 and promoted to the next class naturally (Nohr Noble), and learned Nobility (level 1) and Dragon Fang (level 10) along the way. Now as a Nohr Noble, I learn my next skill at level 5 (Draconic Hex), I am now overall level 20/5. I use a heart seal, and class change into a Master Ninja, the skill I chose during character creation, and I am still at overall level 20/5. Now on my very next level, I would then learn the level 5 Master Ninja skill, Lethality (or would I learn the level 1 Ninja skill, Locktouch?). Once I get the skills I want, I can then heart seal again, and go right back to Nohr Noble. Does this sound about right?

- As for the other seals, they seem pretty straightforward.. partner seal and friendship seal class change into your S and A rank supports respectively. As for seal usage in general, the main benefit is pretty much just stocking up on skills for the most part, with the added utility of having more freedom what class you want your units to be?

4) More great info! I haven’t seen any weapons where speed has been negatively affected yet (I’m still REALLY early game, and will keep an eye out for them though for sure!).

5) So the weapon triangle.. I’m still a little confused after reading through that linked url (which had all the info I was looking for, just need some clarity)

- So the units weapon rank grants a small bonus, and this is just a general/passive bonus... correct (as in, not tied to the WT)? Now the weapon rank bonus, is this tied to the units weapon level, or the actual rank of the weapon? Say for example, if Corrin has an overall sword level/rank of C, but is using the Ganglari (rank E), do I get the C rank bonus or the E rank bonus? I’m assuming it’s the actual WEAPONS rank, just wanted to make sure.

- Now in regards to the actual WT-A/D, the post says that the A/D is based on the rank and type of weapon. So say for example, I’m using Corrin with Ganglari (rank E), and attack someone in disadvantage using a B-Rank weapon, would the A/D bonuses use the E-Rank values of +5 hit rate for me, and -5 hit rate for the enemy... or would it use the E-Rank value for me (+5 hit rate) and the B-Rank value for them (-1MT / -10 Hit)?

6) I actually started on Hard, I don’t know how good of an idea this was seeing as I’m not very acquainted with the new(er) game mechanics present, but hopefully I can catch on quick. And thanks for the added extra tips, I’ll look into trying out some new stuff! I generally avoid tier lists, and just go for who I like/who seems to be performing good, as I also like to run through the game a few times and get a feel for all the characters.

So yeah.. I am so sorry for the extra questions and clarifications. It’s just the first few chapters, nothing was adding up when I was looking at my stats compared to enemies stats in comparison to the combat forecast. Plus I like to get an idea of how hard I’m going to get hit if I can’t reach the enemy for combat but they can reach me on their phase. With all this information you gave me, things should be a little bit clearer going forward, it all just seems like A LOT to take in coming from the gamecube/wii era of FE games. If you don’t have the time or patience to respond back, it’s no biggie, but thanks again! 

4 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

5) The weapon triangle. I understand how it works in regards to: Swords/Magic > Axes/Bows > Lance/Hidden Weapons > Sword/Magic, what I want to know is what is the WTA/WTD in this game? 

It's dependent on the weapon rank of the advantaged side, like in Shadow Dragon and the games following it.

3) Promotion, seals, and so on. This part I’m completely lost on. I’ve tried reading into it, and instead I manage to get even more confused. If somebody can please explain to me how leveling and promotion works, along with a gist of how all the seals work, or even link me to something that does.. I’d really appreciate it. I don’t know if this is true or not, but it seems like it is incredibly easy to mess something up considering all the different avenues you can take in regards to promotion and using seals, and how and which skills you acquire and so on... and I’d like to benefit from these things as much as possible.

A Master Seal is used to promote a unit that's level 10 or higher. When you use one, you get to pick between two classes.

The Offspring Seal appears in the inventory of a child unit if you play their paralogue after chapter 18. However, it's not worth it to wait that long, as paralogues spike in difficulty then.

Heart Seals are used to reclass. Unlike in Awakening, though, first gen units only have one other class tree, for the most part. Also, they retain their level.

Partner Seals are used to reclass to the base class of a unit's S rank support partner. However. there are exceptions to this.

Friendship Seals are used to reclass to the base class of an A+ support partner. Again, there are exceptions.

6) If there is any other general information, tips, or advice... or anything that will help for a first time playthrough, that would be absolutely awesome and much appreciated. Such as building supports, best weapons, good units, good skills, good classes, and so on.

Check enemy skills and weapons.

Dodge is half your luck.

For unit advice:

Camilla is good, especially as a Wyvern Lord.

Avoid Arthur and Berserkers in general. They're pretty much useless. Nyx and Charlotte also suck. Mozu isn't worth it either.

3) Now I definitely understand seals and promotion much better after reading this, however I’m still a little curious on a few things. So in this game, at most you can level up 40 times (20/20), this can be extended with an infinity seal from what I read(?). Now if I don’t use an infinity seal, I have to plan my level ups accordingly if I plan on using seals and so on to acquire skills, correct?

You will probably have to plan your level ups when going for skills, as getting above 20/20, and having the resources for an infinity seal is only really feasible if you bought the Gold and XP grinding DLC.

- So just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, this is an example scenario; I level up MU (Corrin) to level 20 and promoted to the next class naturally (Nohr Noble), and learned Nobility (level 1) and Dragon Fang (level 10) along the way. Now as a Nohr Noble, I learn my next skill at level 5 (Draconic Hex), I am now overall level 20/5. I use a heart seal, and class change into a Master Ninja, the skill I chose during character creation, and I am still at overall level 20/5. Now on my very next level, I would then learn the level 5 Master Ninja skill, Lethality (or would I learn the level 1 Ninja skill, Locktouch?). Once I get the skills I want, I can then heart seal again, and go right back to Nohr Noble. Does this sound about right?

You would learn Locktouch first (20/6), then Poison Strike on the next (20/7), and finally the skill you want Lethality (20/8). Then you can heart seal back to the class you want. Fortunately Ninja Master has access to swords, so you wont have to worry about getting those levels with E rank weapons, which can make class changing for skills difficult.

Edit: extra piece of advise, your level and XP stay the same when you change classes this way, so if you switch over to Matser Ninja (or whatever classes you are entering for the skill) when you are close to the next level, you will spend less time in that class.

5) So the weapon triangle.. I’m still a little confused after reading through that linked url (which had all the info I was looking for, just need some clarity)

- So the units weapon rank grants a small bonus, and this is just a general/passive bonus... correct (as in, not tied to the WT)? Now the weapon rank bonus, is this tied to the units weapon level, or the actual rank of the weapon? Say for example, if Corrin has an overall sword level/rank of C, but is using the Ganglari (rank E), do I get the C rank bonus or the E rank bonus? I’m assuming it’s the actual WEAPONS rank, just wanted to make sure.

The bonuses are passive and based on the units ranks (not the weapons), but they lose them if they face WTD. So in your example Corrin would get the C rank bonuses, unless he is facing a lance/hidden weapon

- Now in regards to the actual WT-A/D, the post says that the A/D is based on the rank and type of weapon. So say for example, I’m using Corrin with Ganglari (rank E), and attack someone in disadvantage using a B-Rank weapon, would the A/D bonuses use the E-Rank values of +5 hit rate for me, and -5 hit rate for the enemy... or would it use the E-Rank value for me (+5 hit rate) and the B-Rank value for them (-1MT / -10 Hit)?

Its the penalty/bonus for the rank of the unit that has advantage. As for your example if this is the same Corrin that has C rank swords and is using the E rang Ganglari against an enemy wielding a B rank Axe (Silver Axe), it would apply the C rank bonus/penalties (so +10/-10 Hit), and the Axe wielder would not get the passive bonuses from his weapon ranks.

So yeah.. I am so sorry for the extra questions and clarifications. It’s just the first few chapters, nothing was adding up when I was looking at my stats compared to enemies stats in comparison to the combat forecast. Plus I like to get an idea of how hard I’m going to get hit if I can’t reach the enemy for combat but they can reach me on their phase. With all this information you gave me, things should be a little bit clearer going forward, it all just seems like A LOT to take in coming from the gamecube/wii era of FE games. If you don’t have the time or patience to respond back, it’s no biggie, but thanks again! 

If you still have questions, keep asking. There are plenty of people here willing to answer them. (plus plenty of nosy people, curious who you end up using, and what you think of the game)

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Sorry I may be going into a little too much detail here, but it sounds like that is what you want.

It is clearly built with these mechanics in mind, but not exclusively one or the other. A lot of people got into the habit of always being paired thanks to Awakening, but the game did a good job of balancing both of these mechanics. There are times when the more player phase focused advantages of extra damage and accuracy you can get using attack stances (and the massive advantage in mobility granted by starting unpaired) is the best way to go, and there are times when the more enemy phase focused advantages of greater survivability, and stats granted by pairup is the better way to go. Personally I am a fan of a more attack stance focused player phase style of play, but part of the fun of Conquest is that it isn't the only way to play, and the game will throw problems where the other stance will work better, to encourage you to mix up and experiment with other play styles.

Yeah its stat bonus based on their current class, plus a bonus for support level based on the character. You can find the class bonuses here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/pair-up-stats/ and the bonus for character's support level here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/pair-up-stats/

The meter has 10 spaces, it increases by 2 every time the character makes an attack, and takes an attack (for example if the paired character enter a round of combat where he/she doubles an enemy would result in an increase of 6;  it increases 2 for the first attack, 2 for the enemies counter attack, and 2 for the final attack) this is irregardless of if the attacks hit. Additionally the blocked attack occurs on the first attack with the gauge maxed (for example if a unit had 8 on the gauge when an enemy enter a combat where they double the paired unit the gauges maxes out after the first attack, thus the paired units counter doesn't increase the gauge, and he then fully blocks the second attack). Note that the block is used even if the attack has a 0% chance of hitting, or does 0 damage. Additionally it decrease if there are full turns in which they see no combat, and there are complicated rules for what happens when you transfer units that have gauge (don't worry, it shows what the gauges will be when you try to transfer).

You are missing a few of them. First off paired units prevent the bonus attacks from attack stance. Note that the prevented attack stance hit doesn't increase the gauge. Also of note enemies can start the game paired, but do not pairup during game. Another easily forgotten bonus is they get +5 crit dodge while paired. Finally I want to emphasize the movement options made available through pairing. There are 4 special actions created by the pairup system: 1st an unpaired unit can Pairup with another unpaired unit (note this occurs after movement, and the unit they paired with can still take its action); 2nd a paired unit can Switch to the back side of the pairing (note doing so occur after moving, but doesn't end the turn); 3rd a paired unit can Transfer their partner to an adjacent unit/pair, or unpaired unit can Transfer with an adjacent paired unit, in which case those units switch partners (note doing so occurs after movement, once per turn, but doesn't end the turn); 4th a paired unit can Separate the unit in the back into an empty space adjacent (note this occurs after movement, and ends the turn). An example of how this can be used is to have an armor knight move to pairup with a cavalier further up that hasn't moved, then that cavalier that now has the paired knight can move ahead, switch to the knight, then transfer the cavalier over to an adjacent ally that has no partner to then attack with an attack stance, and then have a third unpaired unit move in to transfer the cavalier over and separate him out further ahead.

As long as the unit in combat is unpaired and adjacent to an ally. When it occurs during enemy phase the game decides which adjacent ally gets the attack stance hit based on support levels, but during player phase you can decide which adjacent ally gets the hit by using the R button to cycle through them. Two things to note, first enemies get attack stance hits, second enemy phase attack stance hits can be wasted if your highest support points are with a healer with no means to attack (like Elise before promoting).

You get bonuses to Hit, Avoid, Crit, and crit Dodge based on the support level, with no support level it is +10 hit, and the bonuses only increase from there (see here: for the exact bonuses: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/supports/support-bonus/). If there are multiple allies adjacent all the bonuses are added together and divided by 2.5. Note that paired units get these bonuses as well if they are adjacent to allies, but always divide by 2.5. I will also note that the one attack stance hit you get occurs after the player unit's first round of combat, and before the enemies next round of combat.

The attack stance hit deals half the normal damage rounded down.

It is an entirely normal attack that deals half damage, with none of the bonuses to hit/avoid/crit/dodge described above. This means it can miss, it can crit, it can trigger skills, it uses effective damage, it can cause debuffs, etc.

Serenes forest has a page on it here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/class-changing/

but I can review them as well in my own words in the spoiler box below

Hide contents

Master Seal- When a unit is level 10 or above it can use a Master Seal to become one of its promoted classes. Each class has two available promotion options you can choose from, with some minor exceptions (the dancer class doesn't promote, but can go to level 40, the beast units only have one promotion option, and the Nohrian Prin(cess) class has one promotion option in Birthright and Conquest, and Felicia and Jakob start in what are normally promoted classes, but have weird unique rules to them to make them act like unprompted units and). I will also note that promoting early has an impact on that units gain experience like their actual level is their stated level + 20 - (20- level promoted at)/2, so a level 10/1 unit gains experience like a level 16 unit, and a level 20/1 unit gains xp like a level 21 unit.

Offspring Seal - When characters reach an S support with eachother (except with same sex pairings), a paralogue becomes available in which you can recruit the child they have. The enemies in the paralogue, and the child you recruit both scale their level based on how far into the game you are when you decide to play it. If you are far enough into the game that the child would be in a promoted class based on this scaling, they start at level 20 with an Offspring Seal in their inventory. That Offspring seal can only be used by that child, and lets you chose which class they promote to, and auto-levels them to the level the scaling would have made them. It cannot be used if you use any seal on the child before using it.

The other types of seals do not promote your characters, but simply change their class. Their level, experience, and whether or not they are promoted all stay the same when using these types of seals

Heart Seal - Each Gen 1 character has 1 bonus class available, 2 if they can only support with Corrin, and child units inherit one bonus class from each parent. This seal let them switch to any of these bonus classes, or their base class, and if they are promoted they can change to any of the promotion options available to the bonus or base classes. You can find a list of which characters get which classes here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/class-sets/

Partner Seal - Using this seal lets you class change your unit to the base class of whomever they have an S support with a few exceptions. First you can't use this to class change to Nohrian Noble, the dancer class, a beast class, or the Villager class, and instead they change to their partner's first bonus class. Second if the class they would change into is the same as their case class, instead they change to their partner's first bonus class. In the unlikely even that both of these occur they instead get the "parallel class" (generally these are the Hoshidan class that is most similar, but the specifics can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/classes/parallel-classes/) of their partner's base class. Just like the Heart seal if the character is already promoted they can chose one of the promotion options of said class.

Friendship Seal - All characters except Corrin (and those that only support with Corrin) get 1-3 same gendered supports, when they hit A in that support they have the option of making one of these an A+ support immediately in which case they can use this seal to class change into this characters base class. This works exactly like Partner seal otherwise.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/61733-calculations-for-fates/

This has a lot of the fiddly details. As for the speed question, there is no weight, but some weapons, and skills influence the speed used to calculate doubling, but you need to read them carefully, for example steel weapons reduce speed by 3 when checking if the wielder can make a follow-up attack, but not when checking if their enemy can double attack (same idea with the +5 speed from darting blow).

The most important tip is to pay attention to enemy skills.

The personal skills that talk about supporting, or pairing generally work with both attack stance, and pairups.

Dodge is critical avoid.

The Cavalier's shelter skill can be used as a psuedo-dance, as they can shelter a unit that has already acted, and then another unit can transfer that unit over and switch to them to give them another action (of particular note this can be used to get a second dance out of your dancer).

Do not be afraid to buy and use a few tonics, those temporary +2s can make things a lot easier on you.

As for unit advice:

Camilla is really good

if you go with a female Corrin, using the first heart seal you get on Jakob to make him a Paladin makes him extremely good.

Xander has some massive speed issues, but if you can find a way to fix them (usually by giving him all of the speed wings, a Berserker to permanently pairup with him, a speed meal, and/or speed tonic) he is also extremely good.

Elise's personal skill Lily's poise is amazingly useful if you are careful with positioning.

Odin's daughter Ophelia is the best mage in Fates (as long as she gets a magically oriented mother) and her paralogue gives you access to some of the best tomes in the game.

Effie is fairly good.

This sub is awesome! I can’t thank you enough for the extremely detailed reply, this really helped me a ton. I hate to ask more out of you, but I just have a few follow-ups if you can maybe elaborate a bit further.

1) In regards to the pair-up mechanic. If I’m reading the links that you gave me correctly, along with trying to take in everything you wrote.. let me know if I am following this right:

- So say, for example, if I am using Corrin, and I am paired up with Felicia. I get my basic pair-up bonuses from Felicia (+2 mag, +3 speed, and +3 luck) and I go to enter into combat with no allies adjacent to me, I would get an additional standard +5 dodge boost from Felicia (since she is supporting me as a paired unit).. correct? Now lets say I am still paired with Felicia, with Corrin as the lead unit again, but this time Gunter is standing adjacent to me. I attack with Corrin and I can’t enter attack stance with Gunter due to being paired with Felicia, however during the battle I will still get Gunter’s adjacent support bonus of +10 hit rate, along with the standard +5 dodge boost from being paired with Felicia. Since I’m technically adjacent to 2 allies (being paired is considered adjacent right?); Felicia and Gunter, I would have to divide my adjacent support bonuses by 2.5, so I’d end up with 4 Hit Rate and +5 dodge (this doesn’t get divided right?). 

- I tested the above ^ scenario in game, and that’s how it played out (atleast that’s how it seemed to play out).. so I just want to make sure I am following everything correctly and am understanding the formulas and what-not. 

2) Thanks a ton for going over each and every seal, that really helped clear a lot of things up. I just want to ask a few questions in regards to skills and acquiring/learning them.

- So say I promote naturally on Corrin to Nohr Noble, and reach level 20/5. I use a heart seal to switch my class to Ninja (the one I chose at character creation), I would become a Master Ninja upon use, since I’m already in the 2nd tier (or do you downgrade to Ninja?) Now on my very next level-up, I would begin learning the Ninja Skills, would I learn the Ninja skills first (locktouch and poison strike) or would I learn the Master Ninja skills (lethality and shurikenfaire) and not learn the base Ninja skills at all since I’m already promoted?

- And just to make sure... you can only level a total of 40 times as in 20/20, so once your at that point, you can’t learn any new skills regardless if you class change, unless you use an eternity seal? As for seals in general, is their main purpose just using them to acquire skills from X class, and make your way back to your original class? Or is it really beneficial for some units to remain switched... like do growth rates and stuff change when switching classes? 

3) Sorry to ask an entirely new question (I actually have this asked in the OP, but I believe I edited in after/during you were replying).. but it’s in regards to the weapon triangle. After getting some information in this thread, and then looking at the calculations paged you linked to me, I just want to clarify exactly what the WTA/D is.

- From what I can make out of that post you linked, is that WTA/D changes accordingly based on the rank of the weapon your attacking with (or is it based on your units overall weapon rank?). Now with that in mind, say I’m attacking an enemy unit, I’m using an E-Rank weapon, and they are using a B-Rank weapon... would we each have a different advantage/disadvantage? So for example, I’d get +5 Hit Rate since I’m the E-Rank and I’m in advantage, and the enemy who’s using B-Rank would get -1 attack and -10 Hit Rate, or since I’m the one with the advantage we’d both being going off E-Rank, and it’d be +5 Hit Rate for me and -5 Hit Rate for the enemy?

- And now the weapon rank bonus. I had no idea this was a thing.. wow. So this actually has nothing to do with the weapon triangle, and is just stand alone bonus based on what rank the weapon is that you are using? And if I’m reading that post correctly, this bonus does indeed get cancelled only what at disadvantage in the weapon triangle, but it remains active when you are in advantage/neutral state? I thought I was losing my mind the first few chapters as *nothing* was adding up, and this actually pieces some things together. 

4) This one’s short. So skills that use the word “Supporting” (such as Devoted/Forceful Partner) all that’s referring to is standing adjacent to an ally.. whether that be attack stance or guard stance.. NOT actually having a support built? If so, that’s awesome, as I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what the wording meant, and the first few chapters are starting to make *a lot* more sense now with all this info you gave me, as none of the numbers were adding up when comparing my units to enemies when we were in combat forecast... lol. Now obviously other skills such as “Supportive” means you have to have a support built for the requirements, but as for the other skills I gotta just make sure to read everything more thorough. 

-

I think that’s it. I’m so sorry to throw more questions at you, along with an entirely new question, especially since you went out of your way to write me a massively detailed (and helpful!!) response. It’s just that coming from PoR/RD this just feels like an entirely different game, and I’m a person who really likes to know how all the numbers work, and how everything comes together. But seriously, you gave me tons of good information, especially in regards to utilizing pair-ups properly and the Shelter skill tip (it’s like a super advanced rescue-take-drop tactic, I love it) and I really really appreciate the entire write-up.

Thanks again!

Do not worry too much about re-classing. All units do just fine in their own class-trees.

And worry even less about the Experience. You will not reach 20/20 easily.
An example: I play with only ten units, which means that they face more battles and gain more Experience points than they would in bigger parties. I promote them all level 19 and even then they only reach level 19/20 in Chapter 26 (out of 27.)

A real example of timing a re-class:

Spoiler

+Magic Cornflakes is married to Odin by Chapter 11.

A Partner Seal would let her class-change into a Dark Mage; and him, into a Wyvern Rider.

While Dark Mage uses tomes instead of swords and Dragon Stones, its growths and skills synergises with a magic-oriented build. The first skill grants more magical damage, the second one (Avoid -20) helps secure the Dragon Stone hits. And Nohr Princess wields tomes on promotion.

In Odin’s case, unfortunately, Wyvern Rider does not synergise with Dark Mage. He would exchange tomes for bronzes axes, the growths are not complementary, the first skill (+2 Strength) is useless to him and the second one (Lunge) only adds utility.

At that point in the game, there is one Partner Seal available at the store. Two more may be obtained as Paralogue rewards (Sophie and Nina), and two more will be available upon upgrading the store, after completing Chapter 13.

One reason to re-class now would be to pass useful skills to Ophelia. Yet, being a Dark Mage, she already has the skills that Corrin is about to learn, and faces the same situation that Odin does towards the Wyvern Rider skills.
All in all, it is better to simply let Corrin pass Dragon Fang to her, and let Odin pass none.

Odin could pass more useful skills from his own secondary class-tree, Samurai: Avoid +30 or Vantage. But he would need two Heart Seals, and at that point in the game there are only two available. Mozu and Shigure called dibs on them.
Two more Heart Seals will be available after Chapter 13, but this Odin will be a Sorcerer and therefore cannot be in the Samurai class that long, because its growths and weapons are not complementary. (I would be playing Ophelia’s map, then Shigure’s, then Sophie’s, then Chapter 12.)

Back to square one: Should Corrin re-class into Dark Mage now? No.

I find Sorceress’s first skill (Vengeance) also useful on Corrin, specially when she is holding a position while using her Dragon Stone. Therefore it would be more efficient to promote her into Nohr Noble first, and then use a Partner Seal into Sorceress at level 2, so that she learns the skills consecutively in three level-ups (3, 4, 5), and then back into Nohr Noble for the rest of the game.

10 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- So say, for example, if I am using Corrin, and I am paired up with Felicia. I get my basic pair-up bonuses from Felicia (+2 mag, +3 speed, and +3 luck) and I go to enter into combat with no allies adjacent to me, I would get an additional standard +5 dodge boost from Felicia (since she is supporting me as a paired unit).. correct? Now lets say I am still paired with Felicia, with Corrin as the lead unit again, but this time Gunter is standing adjacent to me. I attack with Corrin and I can’t enter attack stance with Gunter due to being paired with Felicia, however during the battle I will still get Gunter’s adjacent support bonus of +10 hit rate, along with the standard +5 dodge boost from being paired with Felicia. Since I’m technically adjacent to 2 allies (being paired is considered adjacent right?); Felicia and Gunter, I would have to divide my adjacent support bonuses by 2.5, so I’d end up with 4 Hit Rate and +5 dodge (this doesn’t get divided right?). 

- I tested the above ^ scenario in game, and that’s how it played out (atleast that’s how it seemed to play out).. so I just want to make sure I am following everything correctly and am understanding the formulas and what-not. 

That is correct.

23 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- So say I promote naturally on Corrin to Nohr Noble, and reach level 20/5. I use a heart seal to switch my class to Ninja (the one I chose at character creation), I would become a Master Ninja upon use, since I’m already in the 2nd tier (or do you downgrade to Ninja?)

You would stay Tier 2 and become a Master Ninja.

24 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Now on my very next level-up, I would begin learning the Ninja Skills, would I learn the Ninja skills first (locktouch and poison strike) or would I learn the Master Ninja skills (lethality and shurikenfaire) and not learn the base Ninja skills at all since I’m already promoted?

You would start by getting the base Ninja skills, and once you had both of those you would get the first Master Ninja Skill. I go over that in a little more detail in one of my earlier responses which I will quote below.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You would learn Locktouch first (20/6), then Poison Strike on the next (20/7), and finally the skill you want Lethality (20/8). Then you can heart seal back to the class you want. Fortunately Ninja Master has access to swords, so you wont have to worry about getting those levels with E rank weapons, which can make class changing for skills difficult.

Edit: extra piece of advise, your level and XP stay the same when you change classes this way, so if you switch over to Matser Ninja (or whatever classes you are entering for the skill) when you are close to the next level, you will spend less time in that class.

26 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- And just to make sure... you can only level a total of 40 times as in 20/20, so once your at that point, you can’t learn any new skills regardless if you class change, unless you use an eternity seal?

That is correct.

27 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

As for seals in general, is their main purpose just using them to acquire skills from X class, and make your way back to your original class? Or is it really beneficial for some units to remain switched... like do growth rates and stuff change when switching classes? 

That all depends on how you want to use them. There are benefits to staying in a different class, you have that class's movement type and weapon types (although any weapon type you haven't used before will start at rank E), and each class has its own growths, bases, and stat caps that are added to the character's own personal growths, base stats (and stat gains), and stat cap bonuses. I find the easiest way of figuring out what a character will look like in different class stat wise is to use this: https://zekareisoujin.github.io/FEFatesStatCalc/ but to give you a better idea of how this all works I will go into a little greater detail. Your units have personal growth rates which are added to their class growth rates to get the growth rates that are used when they level, the personal growth rates can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/growth-rates/ and the class growth rates can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/growth-rates/. A character's stats are a combination of their class's base stats, their personal base stats, and the stats they have gained when leveling up, and when they change classes the stats they gain and loss is simply the game switching one class's base stats for another. The class base stats can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/base-stats/. Finally the stat cap are predominately from the classes, which can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-classes/maximum-stats/, but each character has their own minor modifier to them as well, which can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/maximum-stats/.

54 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

3) Sorry to ask an entirely new question (I actually have this asked in the OP, but I believe I edited in after/during you were replying).. but it’s in regards to the weapon triangle. After getting some information in this thread, and then looking at the calculations paged you linked to me, I just want to clarify exactly what the WTA/D is.

I think I covered most of this in one of my other replies (with an example) but I will go through these specific questions as well.

55 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

- From what I can make out of that post you linked, is that WTA/D changes accordingly based on the rank of the weapon your attacking with (or is it based on your units overall weapon rank?).

It is based on the overall weapon rank of the unit that has WTA.

58 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Now with that in mind, say I’m attacking an enemy unit, I’m using an E-Rank weapon, and they are using a B-Rank weapon... would we each have a different advantage/disadvantage? So for example, I’d get +5 Hit Rate since I’m the E-Rank and I’m in advantage, and the enemy who’s using B-Rank would get -1 attack and -10 Hit Rate, or since I’m the one with the advantage we’d both being going off E-Rank, and it’d be +5 Hit Rate for me and -5 Hit Rate for the enemy?

It just uses the bonuses and penalties associated with the overall weapon rank of the unit that has the advantage.

- And now the weapon rank bonus. I had no idea this was a thing.. wow. So this actually has nothing to do with the weapon triangle, and is just stand alone bonus based on what rank the weapon is that you are using? And if I’m reading that post correctly, this bonus does indeed get cancelled only what at disadvantage in the weapon triangle, but it remains active when you are in advantage/neutral state? I thought I was losing my mind the first few chapters as *nothing* was adding up, and this actually pieces some things together.

That is exactly right.

4) This one’s short. So skills that use the word “Supporting” (such as Devoted/Forceful Partner) all that’s referring to is standing adjacent to an ally.. whether that be attack stance or guard stance.. NOT actually having a support built?

Basically, although they have to be the unit that gets the attack stance hit (or paired) if multiple units are adjacent.

If so, that’s awesome, as I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what the wording meant, and the first few chapters are starting to make *a lot* more sense now with all this info you gave me, as none of the numbers were adding up when comparing my units to enemies when we were in combat forecast... lol.

Those skills in particular are poorly worded.

Now obviously other skills such as “Supportive” means you have to have a support built for the requirements, but as for the other skills I gotta just make sure to read everything more thorough. 

Although I will note that once you have the C rank support, Corrin's Supportive also works like Devoted/Forceful Partner.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You will probably have to plan your level ups when going for skills, as getting above 20/20, and having the resources for an infinity seal is only really feasible if you bought the Gold and XP grinding DLC.

The bonuses are passive and based on the units ranks (not the weapons), but they lose them if they face WTD. So in your example Corrin would get the C rank bonuses, unless he is facing a lance/hidden weapon

Its the penalty/bonus for the rank of the unit that has advantage. As for your example if this is the same Corrin that has C rank swords and is using the E rang Ganglari against an enemy wielding a B rank Axe (Silver Axe), it would apply the C rank bonus/penalties (so +10/-10 Hit), and the Axe wielder would not get the passive bonuses from his weapon ranks.

If you still have questions, keep asking. There are plenty of people here willing to answer them. (plus plenty of nosy people, curious who you end up using, and what you think of the game)

Thank you SO much. All this information has been immensely helpful. I was a little weary about even playing the game after the first few chapters as literally nothing was adding up and/or making sense to me, and everything just became so much more clearer from this post.

I believe I may have doubled up on some questions, as I quoted some of you guys twice, so if you notice these similar questions pop up again, my apologies.. I just wasn’t sure if/who would write back again, especially after already giving me so much information. After I go through and read everything on this post, I’m more than likely going to have some more follow-ups, so I would appreciate any more information you can send my way.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, starburst said:

Do not worry too much about re-classing. All units do just fine in their own class-trees.

And worry even less about the Experience. You will not reach 20/20 easily.
An example: I play with only ten units, which means that they face more battles and gain more Experience points than they would in bigger parties. I promote them all level 19 and even then they only reach level 19/20 in Chapter 26 (out of 27.)

A real example of timing a re-class:

Reveal hidden contents

+Magic Cornflakes is married to Odin by Chapter 11.

A Partner Seal would let her class-change into a Dark Mage; and him, into a Wyvern Rider.

While Dark Mage uses tomes instead of swords and Dragon Stones, its growths and skills synergises with a magic-oriented build. The first skill grants more magical damage, the second one (Avoid -20) helps secure the Dragon Stone hits. And Nohr Princess wields tomes on promotion.

In Odin’s case, unfortunately, Wyvern Rider does not synergise with Dark Mage. He would exchange tomes for bronzes axes, the growths are not complementary, the first skill (+2 Strength) is useless to him and the second one (Lunge) only adds utility.

At that point in the game, there is one Partner Seal available at the store. Two more may be obtained as Paralogue rewards (Sophie and Nina), and two more will be available upon upgrading the store, after completing Chapter 13.

One reason to re-class now would be to pass useful skills to Ophelia. Yet, being a Dark Mage, she already has the skills that Corrin is about to learn, and faces the same situation that Odin does towards the Wyvern Rider skills.
All in all, it is better to simply let Corrin pass Dragon Fang to her, and let Odin pass none.

Odin could pass more useful skills from his own secondary class-tree, Samurai: Avoid +30 or Vantage. But he would need two Heart Seals, and at that point in the game there are only two available. Mozu and Shigure called dibs on them.
Two more Heart Seals will be available after Chapter 13, but this Odin will be a Sorcerer and therefore cannot be in the Samurai class that long, because its growths and weapons are not complementary. (I would be playing Ophelia’s map, then Shigure’s, then Sophie’s, then Chapter 12.)

Back to square one: Should Corrin re-class into Dark Mage now? No.

I find Sorceress’s first skill (Vengeance) also useful on Corrin, specially when she is holding a position while using her Dragon Stone. Therefore it would be more efficient to promote her into Nohr Noble first, and then use a Partner Seal into Sorceress at level 2, so that she learns the skills consecutively in three level-ups (3, 4, 5), and then back into Nohr Noble for the rest of the game.

Hey thanks a ton for your comments!

I really appreciate you keeping things simple. I think I’m going to go with your advice and probably just keep my playthrough more laidback, and try not to read too far into reclassing strategies or min/max’ing and so on, and just enjoy the game and figure all that out as I go. Then on my second run, I’ll probably dive a little deeper into it. I do really appreciate your write-up in regards to reclassing, and depending on what I do this playthrough that might actually come in handy as a good reference point. 

But yeah, I ended up going with classic/hard actually, as I don’t mind a challenge.. I can get bored rather easy if I don’t have to plan ahead and strategize a-lot during combat (like in path of radiance, which the story had me hooked, but the gameplay got rather boring rather fast). Plus I heard a lot of good things in regards to Conquest’s difficulty as it comes off as fair but also still rather challenging. Hopefully I don’t regret my choice.. haha.

Anyways, thanks again. Y’all are awesome! And cornflakes = Corrin.. right? Lmao.

9 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I really appreciate you keeping things simple. I think I’m going to go with your advice and probably just keep my playthrough more laidback, and try not to read too far into reclassing strategies or min/max’ing and so on, and just enjoy the game and figure all that out as I go.

I have completed it multiple times without re-classing. It lets you know the classes and units better, their defensive and offensive thresholds, their bonuses. You must know how units “behave” in different situations to build an instinct.
Some people spend too much time on skills and inheritance and forget about the important things.

Here are some messages from the last couple of months that may help you.

• Some general notes.

• On how Conquest introduces mechanics and concepts through its map design.

One or two notes about picking a build for Corrin.

• On Conquest’s being a Player Phase game, and how some classes benefit from this.

• On Support Points.

A favour: Please, do not quote entire posts, specially long, explanatory ones. It makes thread navigation cumbersome, and just impossible on mobile.
Highlight the relevant bits that you want to reply to and a "Quote selection" button will appear. Use it!

Edited by starburst

I was reading into the seals a little bit, more specifically Friendship seals.. and was hoping somebody can anybody explain something to me, as I’m a little confused on something.

1) So for example if I was to use a Friendship seal on Felicia (who has an A+ with Flora). Now since both there base classes are Troubadour, Felicia would then instead learn Flora’s secondary class, Dark Mage. Makes sense, no issue here.

- Now if you do the exact same thing, but reverse, you now use the Friendship seal on Flora (who has an A+ with Felicia)... she learns... nothing? Why? Why wouldn’t she learn Felicia’s secondary class of Mercenary, same way Felicia learned Flora’s secondary class of Dark Mage?

2) Same goes for characters like Jakob and Gunter. Say you use an Friendship seal on Jakob (who has an A+ with Gunter). I can’t learn Cavalier because that’s already my secondary class, but why can’t I learn Mercenary instead... Gunter’s secondary class?

- Yet if you reverse the situation again, Gunter can learn Troubadour from Jakob?

I have yet to attempt to use any seals, just trying to figure things out prior to getting up til that point. Maybe there is some weird reasoning for the second example, but the first example both scenarios are EXACTLY the same... no? Maybe I’m reading something wrong? If anybody can elaborate, I’d really appreciate it.

For reference, I’m going off this guide/chart:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1EoYvI1FUNqaHhSd1pzUFJNSmc/view & https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/class-sets/

3 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

1) So for example if I was to use a Friendship seal on Felicia (who has an A+ with Flora). Now since both there base classes are Troubadour, Felicia would then instead learn Flora’s secondary class, Dark Mage. Makes sense, no issue here.

- Now if you do the exact same thing, but reverse, you now use the Friendship seal on Flora (who has an A+ with Felicia)... she learns... nothing? Why? Why wouldn’t she learn Felicia’s secondary class of Mercenary, same way Felicia learned Flora’s secondary class of Dark Mage?

Because Flora already has Mercenary in her class tree.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Because Flora already has Mercenary in her class tree.

Ahh I didn’t even realize some units have 2 optional classes.. I thought they all had one. I just double checked again, and I feel pretty dumb for overlooking that.. haha. Thank you for pointing that out!

In the case of Jakob / Gunter, is there a reason why Jakob can’t learn Mercenary from Gunter? If I’m reading the chart right, Jakob only has troubadour or cavalier in his set, he already having cavalier explains why he can’t learn it from Gunter, but from what I read wouldn’t you just learn the next class on the line.. in this case Mercenary? Or am I misinterpreting something else? 

2 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

In the case of Jakob / Gunter, is there a reason why Jakob can’t learn Mercenary from Gunter? If I’m reading the chart right, Jakob only has troubadour or cavalier in his set, he already having cavalier explains why he can’t learn it from Gunter, but from what I read wouldn’t you just learn the next class on the line.. in this case Mercenary? Or am I misinterpreting something else? 

Friendship Seals don't take into account the fact that one unit's primary class might already be another unit's secondary class.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Friendship Seals don't take into account the fact that one unit's primary class might already be another unit's secondary class.

If that’s the case, how does parallel classes (which I just found on serenes actually) come into affect? It says that in the event that you wouldn’t learn a new class due to duplicates or clashes, a parallel class may be attributed. So in the case of Jakob / Gunter again, shouldn’t he learn the parallel cavalier class of Ninja as opposed to learning nothing? Are parallel classes only for certain units, or is parallel classes for like children only or something? 

My apologies for continuing to throw more questions out, as I really do appreciate you taking the time to answers. I am trying to research the answers to the best of my ability, and a lot of stuff I’m coming across either makes things more confusing, or conflicting with what other people are saying.

3 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

In the case of Jakob / Gunter, is there a reason why Jakob can’t learn Mercenary from Gunter?

Does Jakob not get the Cavalier tree from Gunther (and Silas)? He may not get something new, but that does not mean that he gets nothing.

I had always thought that if Jakob and Gunther (or Silas) were at Support Level A+, Jakob could use a Friendship Seal to re-class into a Paladin or Great Knight, instead of having to purchase a Heart Seal. The system acknowledges these situations by showing a limited re-classing menu.

By the way, I just learned that Gunther can also access the Mercenary tree. For years I had thought that his only option was the Wyvern Rider one.

Edited by starburst

2 hours ago, starburst said:

Does Jakob not get the Cavalier tree from Gunther (and Silas)? He may not get something new, but that does not mean that he gets nothing.

I had always thought that if Jakob and Gunther (or Silas) were at Support Level A+, Jakob could use a Friendship Seal to re-class into a Paladin or Great Knight, instead of having to purchase a Heart Seal. The system acknowledges these situations by showing a limited re-classing menu.

By the way, I just learned that Gunther can also access the Mercenary tree. For years I had thought that his only option was the Wyvern Rider one.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I have not tried anything in game in regards to seals yet, I was just reading into a bit to just get a better gist how everything works, and I came across this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1EoYvI1FUNqaHhSd1pzUFJNSmc/view

Going off this, it states that; With a Jakob / Gunter support, Jakob will learn *nothing* when using a friendship seal with Gunter. And it’s really confusing me, because after referencing the class sets, it seems as if Jakob would just learn the Mercenary class.. right? Like why would Felicia be able to learn the Dark Mage class tree from Flora, but Jakob can’t learn the Mercenary class tree from Gunter? Maybe I’m overlooking something that’s why I’m not getting it... I don’t know..

But yeah, the way that guide that I linked was worded, simply states “none” next to Jakob for Silas and Gunter (along with a few other “none” thrown in there for other units). That’s why I was under the impression they’d flat out waste it, and not get anything. But yeah, I’m sorry for all the questions, I’m probably just making things more confusing for myself for no reason, lol.

If you have time to just fill me in on anything listed above, I’d greatly appreciate it.

-

Also, side question. When paired up, do skills from the support unit, such as; Demoiselle.. (or any other skills that grant bonuses when in close proximity to allies) apply to the lead unit? Or do skills flat out not work/activate at all for the support/back unit whilst paired?

3 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

If that’s the case, how does parallel classes (which I just found on serenes actually) come into affect? It says that in the event that you wouldn’t learn a new class due to duplicates or clashes, a parallel class may be attributed. So in the case of Jakob / Gunter again, shouldn’t he learn the parallel cavalier class of Ninja as opposed to learning nothing? Are parallel classes only for certain units, or is parallel classes for like children only or something? 

Parallel classes rarely come up, in the case of class changing seals like this its only when the character who's A+ support you are using to class change into has one of the classes which cannot be transferred (specifically Nohrian Prince(ss), Songstress, Wolfskin, Kitsune or Villager), and their second class is the same as the user's base class. In the case of Friendship seals in Conquest this only occur with the Arthur and Keaton A+ support, and possibly with some Kana A+ supports depending on what talent you chose (...actually this has brought to light a very strange question about the mechanics of the game that I might need to experiment with, most notably what happens when Midori, whose primary class is Apothecary, uses a partner seal with a Kana(F) with the Apothecary talent, when both don't have parallel classes listed...)

Now its easier to create instance of parallel classes using Partner Seals, for if Corrin marries someone whose base class is the same as the secondary class you chose for Corrin, their partner will have access to the parallel class of that class (because Nohrian Prince(ss) doesn't have a parallel class of its own, it uses the parallel class of the secondary class), plus there are far more S pairing available to characters than there are  A+ pairing.

They can also show up in the secondary classes that child characters can inheritance, but only if neither of the mother's classes can be passed down. Now inheritance works a bit differently, first the child has a preset base class, and then inherits the base class of the father(or secondary class if the child is in the same base class as the father), and then inherits the base class of the mother, unless the child already has access to that class or it is Songstress, in which case they get the mother's secondary class instead, unless the child already has access to that class as well, in which case they get access to the parallel class of the mothers base class, and in the single odd exception of an Azura x Jakob pairing with Shigure, where even the parallel class of the mother's base class also can't be inherited, then the parallel class of the mother's secondary class is inherited.

56 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Parallel classes rarely come up, in the case of class changing seals like this its only when the character who's A+ support you are using to class change into has one of the classes which cannot be transferred (specifically Nohrian Prince(ss), Songstress, Wolfskin, Kitsune or Villager), and their second class is the same as the user's base class. In the case of Friendship seals in Conquest this only occur with the Arthur and Keaton A+ support, and possibly with some Kana A+ supports depending on what talent you chose (...actually this has brought to light a very strange question about the mechanics of the game that I might need to experiment with, most notably what happens when Midori, whose primary class is Apothecary, uses a partner seal with a Kana(F) with the Apothecary talent, when both don't have parallel classes listed...)

Now its easier to create instance of parallel classes using Partner Seals, for if Corrin marries someone whose base class is the same as the secondary class you chose for Corrin, their partner will have access to the parallel class of that class (because Nohrian Prince(ss) doesn't have a parallel class of its own, it uses the parallel class of the secondary class), plus there are far more S pairing available to characters than there are  A+ pairing.

They can also show up in the secondary classes that child characters can inheritance, but only if neither of the mother's classes can be passed down. Now inheritance works a bit differently, first the child has a preset base class, and then inherits the base class of the father(or secondary class if the child is in the same base class as the father), and then inherits the base class of the mother, unless the child already has access to that class or it is Songstress, in which case they get the mother's secondary class instead, unless the child already has access to that class as well, in which case they get access to the parallel class of the mothers base class, and in the single odd exception of an Azura x Jakob pairing with Shigure, where even the parallel class of the mother's base class also can't be inherited, then the parallel class of the mother's secondary class is inherited.

Thank you so much for breaking all this down! Makes so much more sense now. I really appreciate you going into detail, as it gives me a much better sense of how things work. 

I haven’t had much time to play the last 2 days, and have just been reading up on things trying to get a better understanding of everything as a whole. But tomorrow I will have time to really sink my teeth into the game (really looking forward to it!), so I might have a few more questions as I go so I’ll probably keep posting/replying to this thread if you guys don’t mind. 

Once again, really appreciate everything! 

6 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

And it’s really confusing me, because after referencing the class sets, it seems as if Jakob would just learn the Mercenary class.. right?

I already told you why but you are still missing the point: Jakob is a Butler, not a Paladin/ Great Knight. Why would he get the Mercenary tree from Gunther or Silas if their primary classes already differ?
You are confusing getting something new with getting something. If Niles marries Nyx, he gets Dark Mage and she gets Outlaw, even though they could also access these classes by themselves using a Heart Seal. Their primary classes differ.

At least that is how I have always understood this.

Edited by starburst

5 hours ago, starburst said:

I already told you why but you are still missing the point: Jakob is a Butler, not a Paladin/ Great Knight. Why would he get the Mercenary tree from Gunther or Silas if their primary classes already differ?
You are confusing getting something new with getting something. If Niles marries Nyx, he gets Dark Mage and she gets Outlaw, even though they could also access these classes by themselves using a Heart Seal. Their primary classes differ.

At least that is how I have always understood this.

Ahhh... yeah, I definitely get it now.

I was under the impression you would get something new regardless. After re-reading your comments and re-checking the chart it makes much more sense. With Felicia x Flora for example, the reason Felicia get’s dark mage is because their primary classes are the same, allowing her to learn Flora’s secondary class; Dark Mage. With Jakob x Gunter, they have different primary classes, so Jakob would simply learn Cavalier.. regardless if he already has access to that via other means (heart seal). 

I really appreciate you taking the time trying to explain it again. 

Sorry to bump the thread, but I’m just curious about a few things.. 

1) If I’m not going to bother with online based play or anything, what importance does Lilith and feeding her have on the actual game? Does food have any other use?

2) Effective speed. I think I understand it, just want to make sure. If I have a weapon that states; “-3 effective speed, make it’s harder to follow up” ... that means it only applies to MY speed, and MY ability to double attack, right?

- So if my unit with 15 speed, attacks an enemy with 10 speed, I will not double due to the effective speed loss (right?). 

- Now, if my unit has 11 speed, and my enemy has 15 speed, I lose 3 effective speed putting me down to 8, and this still would not allow my enemy to double me.. right?

3) This one is more just looking for general advice on spending/buying items. How good is the money distribution in this game (if I’m playing offline)? Is there any “must buys” from the armory shop, or just get whatever I think may be useful? 

-

I appreciate all your guys help up til this point, and just want to say thanks in advance for any future responses. With that said, I’m actually really enjoying the game! I’m getting much better at utilizing the game mechanics, and trying to figure out enemy patterns.. and if they’ll enter into attack stance and so on, I really enjoy the added depth as it really adds to the strategy. Looking forward to seeing how the story plays out, and how my units progress!

Edit: I’m also emulating the game, and without realizing, I was able to receive a few “bonus items” at the my castle. I got a few pairs of boots (awesome!), dragon herbs (more awesome), and some class changing scrolls (dread / ebon). Was just wondering, how many boots and so on will I come across in the game? As I’m always a bit wary who to use these items on, so just want to get an idea of how many I’ll have access too. Thanks! 

Edited by Arevir Wehttam