Looking for some help, advice, and information in regards to some of the game mechanics and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arevir Wehttam

2 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

1) If I’m not going to bother with online based play or anything, what importance does Lilith and feeding her have on the actual game? Does food have any other use?

She helps in invasion battles. Also, food is used for the mess hall, where you can have a character cook a meal to boost stats. With one caveat: some characters are bad cooks and their cooking can REDUCE stats. 

5 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

2) Effective speed. I think I understand it, just want to make sure. If I have a weapon that states; “-3 effective speed, make it’s harder to follow up” ... that means it only applies to MY speed, and MY ability to double attack, right?

- So if my unit with 15 speed, attacks an enemy with 10 speed, I will not double due to the effective speed loss (right?). 

- Now, if my unit has 11 speed, and my enemy has 15 speed, I lose 3 effective speed putting me down to 8, and this still would not allow my enemy to double me.. right?

Sounds about right.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

She helps in invasion battles. Also, food is used for the mess hall, where you can have a character cook a meal to boost stats. With one caveat: some characters are bad cooks and their cooking can REDUCE stats. 

Sounds about right.

Thanks a ton for the speedy reply! 

I’ll try to pay attention to which characters are bad cooks (haha), great tip though, really appreciate it!

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

1) If I’m not going to bother with online based play or anything, what importance does Lilith and feeding her have on the actual game? Does food have any other use?

She can help in the 3 optional invasion maps that unlock throughout the game. Also every time you feed her three time she gives you a gold bar, which can be either sold for 300, or used by the Merchant's final skill.

2) Effective speed. I think I understand it, just want to make sure. If I have a weapon that states; “-3 effective speed, make it’s harder to follow up” ... that means it only applies to MY speed, and MY ability to double attack, right?

- So if my unit with 15 speed, attacks an enemy with 10 speed, I will not double due to the effective speed loss (right?). 

- Now, if my unit has 11 speed, and my enemy has 15 speed, I lose 3 effective speed putting me down to 8, and this still would not allow my enemy to double me.. right?

Yep, that is correct

3) This one is more just looking for general advice on spending/buying items. How good is the money distribution in this game (if I’m playing offline)? Is there any “must buys” from the armory shop, or just get whatever I think may be useful? 

You get a fair bit of money throughout the game. As for what to spend that money on... other the obvious stuff like any extra master seals you need, that is highly debatable.

Edit: I’m also emulating the game, and without realizing, I was able to receive a few “bonus items” at the my castle. I got a few pairs of boots (awesome!), dragon herbs (more awesome), and some class changing scrolls (dread / ebon). Was just wondering, how many boots and so on will I come across in the game? As I’m always a bit wary who to use these items on, so just want to get an idea of how many I’ll have access too. Thanks! 

In normal gameplay its 2, one you get if you kill off a recruit-able character instead of recruiting him, the second is in a late game chest.

There are also 2 more you can get from the bonus box if you can get your Visit points and Battle points above 7000...

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

She can help in the 3 optional invasion maps that unlock throughout the game. Also every time you feed her three time she gives you a gold bar, which can be either sold for 300, or used by the Merchant's final skill.

Yep, that is correct

You get a fair bit of money throughout the game. As for what to spend that money on... other the obvious stuff like any extra master seals you need, that is highly debatable.

In normal gameplay its 2, one you get if you kill off a recruit-able character instead of recruiting him, the second is in a late game chest.

There are also 2 more you can get from the bonus box if you can get your Visit points and Battle points above 7000...

You are awesome!

Just checked out that Merchant skill, and it sounds so unique, haha. So many skills in this game sound absolutely incredible and fun, it’s really refreshing after coming from PoR (where you didn’t have much freedom in regards to distributing/earning them), and RD (where every skill was pretty much “one shot kill”).. can’t wait to experiment with all of them.

Thank you for continuing to take the time to answers my questions... seriously, I really do appreciate it!

8 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I’ll try to pay attention to which characters are bad cooks (haha), great tip though, really appreciate it!

You may find this useful: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/my-castle/restaurant/ 

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

3) This one is more just looking for general advice on spending/buying items. [...] Is there any “must buys” from the armory shop, or just get whatever I think may be useful? 

For one I´d like to mention that the Staff/Armry Stores can be upgraded after Chapter 13 and 20. As for what becomes available check these: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/my-castle/staff-store/ and https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/my-castle/dusk-armoury/

As for important stuff, I would certainly mention the Beast Killer, the Hammer and the Hunter Knife. While the Hammer may not be immediately useful – the first armoured units it could be used against are in chapter 18, I think but there it WILL be helpful. Not accounting for Paralogues ofc. The Anti-Beast weapons can be useful as of chapter 14, 19, 20 etc. I would recommend against immediately buying the Wyrm Slayer as the only Wyvern enemies it can be used against are in the lategame, not accounting for Paralogues once again.

The magic weapons may be useful tool for some units: Shining Bow for Niles for example, or Levin Sword for Corrin or the Bolt Axe for Camilla.

Other than that, you may get great use out of Brave Weapons once they are available, especially because Brave Effects Weapons will also work in Attack Stance (so if you have two units with Brave Effect units attack in AS you would get 4x Attacks before the enemy may retaliate).

Take note that the Soldiers Knife and the Crescent Bow will halve your Strength for the next attack when used. Also the Lightning magic will reduce your stats by -2 per combat. Brave Sword/Axe/Lance will apply a simple -4DEF/RES when equipped.

@Imuabicus - Thank you so much for all that info, I really appreciate it! I’ll keep an eye out for all those weapons.

-

So yeah, if anyone can help me with some reclassing things. Like I originally stated in the OP, this is my first time playing a FE game with multiple different seals, and branching classes and so on, so I’m trying to figure out if I have a gameplan pre-set that will work.

My Corrin is currently just a level 11 Nohr Princess at the moment, and after digging through the Fates page on Serenes Forest, this is the build I think I’m going to go for:

- Use a Dread Seal (right now, on my level 11 Corrin) and class change into a Dread Fighter (this seems like a really good option in my eyes, considering I get a really good stat boost). 

- Level up Dread Fighter from 11 -> 21, learn Dread Fighters 2 skills (even keel, and iron will) along the way. Once I hit 21, use a heart seal and class change back to Nohr Noble.

- Level up as a Nohr Noble from 1 -> 15, and acquire the 2 Nohr Noble skills (Draconic Hex, and Nohrian Trust) along the way.

- And finally.. use another heart seal, and class change into Master Ninja (the class I chose at character creation), and grab all the Master Ninja’s skills in my last 5 levels. This will be my final class. 

- For skills, I’d use; Nohrian Trust, Dragon Fang, Lethality, Poison Strike, and Shurikenfaire.

I’d probably try and find a really good pair-up for Corrin so that I can really utilize Nohrian trust. Now as for weaponry, which I’m not too sure whats good lategame and so on, but I’ll have access to swords the entire game, so I’m sure I’ll be in an A/S rank in swords no problem. But since Shurikens/Daggers seem to be quite good, especially since I plan on ending in Master Ninja and using Shurikenfaire... I’m wondering are Arms Scrolls pretty common for me to boost myself upto A/S rank for daggers without much issue?

Now what I think I can do instead is just save the Dread Scroll(s), and use them on someone else that might benefit from them more. Then manually level Corrin to her promotion (or close enough and use a master seal), hit level 5 to grab Draconic Hex really fast. Reclass to Master Ninja w/ a heart seal, level from 5 -> 15 so I can start building up my Shuriken Rank naturally, heart seal back to Nohr Noble for Nohrian Trust, then heart seal back to Master Ninja. Does this seem illogical with heart sealing back and forth, or is this fine?

With all this said, I’m playing this game totally offline, and am not entirely how easily it’ll be distribute seals to all my other characters that may need them. Also, I DO NOT want to make the game any easier, as I really like a good challenge, and with the bonuses that the dread fighter grants to some units when class changing seems pretty beastly, so I don’t know if I should even use these or not. However, I do, at the very least want a gameplan for my Corrin.

I also want to know if it seems as if I have a good idea of how things work in regards to class changing and making a build, as this all new to me. I’m sorry for all the questions on this thread as well, I just really want to understand this game, as it seems as if it has so much replay value, and I plan to run through conquest multiple times along with running through the other paths. So anyone that takes the time to reply it would be greatly appreciated, and want to thank everyone in advance.

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

On 9/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, Arevir Wehttam said:

3) This one is more just looking for general advice on spending/buying items. How good is the money distribution in this game (if I’m playing offline)? Is there any “must buys” from the armory shop, or just get whatever I think may be useful? 

The Beast Killer is helpful to get, as you see a lot of beasts. The Hammer is not as good, but still useful, as Generals have Wary Fighter, which means no double attacks for you (or them, but since they're slow anyway, it only benefits them), and mages are not as effective an anti-armor response due to magic being in the weapon triangle. Well, that, and the fact that most mages in this game suck.

18 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

The magic weapons may be useful tool for some units: Shining Bow for Niles for example, or Levin Sword for Corrin or the Bolt Axe for Camilla.

Other than that, you may get great use out of Brave Weapons once they are available, especially because Brave Effects Weapons will also work in Attack Stance (so if you have two units with Brave Effect units attack in AS you would get 4x Attacks before the enemy may retaliate).

Take note that the Soldiers Knife and the Crescent Bow will halve your Strength for the next attack when used. Also the Lightning magic will reduce your stats by -2 per combat. Brave Sword/Axe/Lance will apply a simple -4DEF/RES when equipped.

I would beg to differ on the Bolt Axe and on Brave weapons - the latter are rather overpriced for how good they are(n't), and the former is something you'd struggle to find a competent user of. Again.

9 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

My Corrin is currently just a level 11 Nohr Princess at the moment, and after digging through the Fates page on Serenes Forest, this is the build I think I’m going to go for:

- Use a Dread Seal (right now, on my level 11 Corrin) and class change into a Dread Fighter (this seems like a really good option in my eyes, considering I get a really good stat boost). 

- Level up Dread Fighter from 11 -> 21, learn Dread Fighters 2 skills (even keel, and iron will) along the way. Once I hit 21, use a heart seal and class change back to Nohr Noble.

- Level up as a Nohr Noble from 1 -> 15, and acquire the 2 Nohr Noble skills (Draconic Hex, and Nohrian Trust) along the way.

- And finally use another heart seal, and class change into Master Ninja (the class I chose at character creation). This will be my final class. 

- For skills, I’d use; Nohrian Trust, Dragon Fang, Lethality, Poison Strike, and Shurikenfaire.

Spoiler alert: Lethality sucks, and two of those skills are level 15 skills (AKA, you ain't seeing them until the game is nearly over, and building around having more than one is a very impractical notion).

Edited by Shadow Mir

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Spoiler alert: Lethality sucks, and two of those skills are level 15 skills (AKA, you ain't seeing them until the game is nearly over, and building around having more than one is a very impractical notion).

Thank you for this! This is exactly what I needed to know.

And yeah while looking through the skills, I wasn’t too fond with lethality either when in comparison to other skills, as it’s activation rate is rather low.. and that’s not even mentioning all the other skills that give benefits ALWAYS, just figured if I’m using Master Ninja and it’s there... maybe just use it? I don’t know. 

So if I’m going for a Master Ninja Corrin, should I grab Draconic Hex (is this even worth it?) at level 5 while a Nohr Noble, and switch to Master Ninja afterwards without looking back to Nohr Noble.. and try to acquire some other decent skills with friend/partner seals?

14 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

And yeah while looking through the skills, I wasn’t too fond with lethality either when in comparison to other skills, as it’s activation rate is rather low.. and that’s not even mentioning all the other skills that give benefits ALWAYS, just figured if I’m using Master Ninja and it’s there... maybe just use it? I don’t know. 

So if I’m going for a Master Ninja Corrin, should I grab Draconic Hex (is this even worth it?) at level 5 while a Nohr Noble, and switch to Master Ninja afterwards without looking back to Nohr Noble.. and try to acquire some other decent skills with friend/partner seals?

Frankly, I find that FE games tend to have the same issue with instant kills as most video games do, really - in any instance where they would be useful... they aren't, because the enemy's immune to them. This is ignoring the extremely low chance of Lethality activating in the first place (Skill/4), which is another box it ticks in the Useless Useful Spell list. As a result, I would rather find a more reliable method of killing enemies. And yes, Draconic Hex is definitely worth it.

Who are you planning on using (and marrying)?

Edited by Shadow Mir

18 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

As for important stuff, I would certainly mention the Beast Killer, the Hammer and the Hunter Knife. While the Hammer may not be immediately useful – the first armoured units it could be used against are in chapter 18, I think but there it WILL be helpful. Not accounting for Paralogues ofc. The Anti-Beast weapons can be useful as of chapter 14, 19, 20 etc. I would recommend against immediately buying the Wyrm Slayer as the only Wyvern enemies it can be used against are in the lategame, not accounting for Paralogues once again.

There is a reason I said it was very debatable, as the Beast Killer is the only one that you mentioned that I don't find fairly team, or play style dependent. A magic heavy enough team might not need the Hammer (and I know of some users who are particularly axe averse enough that I would believe they don't use it), the hunter's knife is only useful if you are using a physical hidden weapon wielder (which I never have bothered with in Conquest), you don't see enough Wyverns for the Wyrm slayer to be worth the cost, (maybe if you are doing all the paralogues...) the shining bow is only good on Niles if you are making him an adventurer (personally prefer him as a bow knight, and if I want a shining bow wielder I marry him to a magic focused mother for a magic focused Nina), whether or not the Levin sword will be good on Corrin is dependent on the Boon, Bane, and what class you make him/her, Camilla does not have the magic to make the Bolt Axe work (now if you reclass Elise to Wyvern Knight, and suffer through the E&D axe rank to make it available to her, it is amazing), and if you prefer a more enemy phase focused style of play, the brave weapons might not be worth their down sides.

One other thing to note about the detrimental effects of the brave weapons, the Strength halving effect of the Crescent Bow (and presumably Soldier's Knife) only triggers when the wielder directly attack, not when he gets an attack stance hit, although an attack stance hit is sufficient to clear the debuff, and I don't think the lightning debuff trigger off of attack stance hits either. I will also note that unlike the other brave weapons Lightning is only C rank, which makes it particularly good due to how early you can start using it.

17 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Unless you have something planned for how you will use Nohrian Trust, I wouldn't bother with it, but on the other hand, I am not the most knowledgeable on character builds (especially involving the Ninja class)

17 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

A little surprised by the lack of Draconic Hex in that list, as I have always found it to be one of the better skills available.

19 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I’m wondering are Arms Scrolls pretty common for me to boost myself upto A/S rank for daggers without much issue?

You get two in standard gameplay (one in a village in chapter 19, another dropped by the optional boss fight in chapter 21), two can be bought from the staff shop after the final upgrade, and a final one can be gotten from the reward box with a visit score of 400.

38 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Now what I think I can do instead is just save the Dread Scroll(s), and use them on someone else that might benefit from them more. Then manually level Corrin to her promotion (or close enough and use a master seal), hit level 5 to grab Draconic Hex really fast. Reclass to Master Ninja w/ a heart seal, level from 5 -> 15 so I can start building up my Shuriken Rank naturally, heart seal back to Nohr Noble for Nohrian Trust, then heart seal back to Master Ninja. Does this seem illogical with heart sealing back and forth, or is this fine?

The Dread Fighter plan does have the advantage of letting you build up some hidden weapon rank before you have to deal with promoted enemies, but on the other hand I have heard that using the Dread Seal on Mozu early makes for a potent unit. Again I wouldn't bother with Nohrian Trust unless you have a plan in place for how to abuse it.

47 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

With all this said, I’m playing this game totally offline, and am not entirely how easily it’ll be distribute seals to all my other characters that may need them. Also, I DO NOT want to make the game any easier, as I really like a good challenge, and with the bonuses that the dread fighter grants to some units when class changing seems pretty beastly, so I don’t know if I should even use these or not. However, I do, at the very least want a gameplan for my Corrin.

For Heart Seals, Friendship Seals, and Partner Seals, one is available to buy in the initial staff shop, two more become available after the first staff shop upgrade, and after the last staff shop upgrade you can buy as many as you can afford.

Now you get 2 Heart seals in standard gameplay (one in chapter 9, and another in chapter 16)

You get 3 Friendship seals, but all of them are in paralogues (Dwyer's [4], Ignatius's [17], and Soleil's [21]), but two of them require you to keep suicidal lemmings NPCs alive...

You also get 3 Partner seals, but all of them are in paralogues (Sophie's [5], Siegbert's [15], and Nina's [22]), but one of them requires you keep the most frustratingly suicidal lemmings in the game NPCs alive.

Master Seals are more readily available with two being available to buy in the initial staff shop, five more become available after the first staff shop upgrade, and after the last staff shop upgrade you can buy as many as you can afford.

additionally you get five in standard gameplay, although some come rather late (chapter 10, chapter 13, chapter 16, chapter 17, chapter 18)

33 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Draconic Hex is excellent, and switching without looking back at Nohrian Noble after that would be my plan, but again take that with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

There is a reason I said it was very debatable, as the Beast Killer is the only one that you mentioned that I don't find fairly team, or play style dependent. A magic heavy enough team might not need the Hammer (and I know of some users who are particularly axe averse enough that I would believe they don't use it), the hunter's knife is only useful if you are using a physical hidden weapon wielder (which I never have bothered with in Conquest), you don't see enough Wyverns for the Wyrm slayer to be worth the cost, (maybe if you are doing all the paralogues...) the shining bow is only good on Niles if you are making him an adventurer (personally prefer him as a bow knight, and if I want a shining bow wielder I marry him to a magic focused mother for a magic focused Nina), whether or not the Levin sword will be good on Corrin is dependent on the Boon, Bane, and what class you make him/her, Camilla does not have the magic to make the Bolt Axe work (now if you reclass Elise to Wyvern Knight, and suffer through the E&D axe rank to make it available to her, it is amazing), and if you prefer a more enemy phase focused style of play, the brave weapons might not be worth their down sides.

The Hunters Knife was mentioned with using Kaze in mind, but perhaps a Butler Jacob could also get some use out of it. Kaze using the Hunters Knife is a Kitsunes/Pegasus worst nightmare, though it is a situational use.

As for the Magic Weapons. I mentioned the Shining Bow for Niles because in my very own experience he struggles to deal any real damage against enemies that have even the slightest semblance of a DEF stat. Unless they are fliers.

The Levin Sword on Corrin has, I feel,  somewhat become a moot point with OP´s Corrin going Dreadfighter/Master Ninja; however, it is still a 11MGT/80HIT 1-2 range weapon, on a character that does have decent -ish magic unless MAG is the bane. Which I have seen no mention of.

The very same goes for the Bolt Axe in regard to Camilla, though with a greater focus on Daka than accuracy. It´s, as I mentioned, another tool in the shed and far from a useless one.

4 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I’d probably try and find a really good pair-up for Corrin so that I can really utilize Nohrian trust. 

I almost want to recommend Gunther as a Nohrian Trust pair-up partner. Sol, Aegis, Luna in his class set and some real nice stats as a backpack. But it´s Gunther so I won´t.

7 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

You do as you please, but I consider DLC classes as promotions. You get bonuses accordingly, without the caveat of “losing” levels when used early. Therefore I would only use them at promotion level (say L19-20), otherwise it feels like cheating. (No other teammate or enemy at that level would compare to your might.)

About the Dread Fighter itself, it lacks dexterity, and its first two skills are redundant to the class own growths. Aggressor is great, but you should not base your decisions on L35 skills, they last two or three levels.
I prefer Master Ninja, Adventurer or Mechanist as the anti-mage.

7 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

And yeah while looking through the skills, I wasn’t too fond with lethality either when in comparison to other skills, as it’s activation rate is rather low.

Its activation is not low, because Ninja and Master Ninja have great dexterity growths and always double. At 20 Skill, it is 10 % chance per encounter. How much do you want? It deletes enemies.

You do not plan hits with Lethality in mind, but simply enjoy when it activates. It is not that you paid thousands of gold for it or that Master Ninja is a terrible class to endure.

If you find one Euro on the park, it is all positive. You might want to find one hundred, but that is a wrong comparison. You had nothing and now you have one, the one hundred were always in your dreams.

3 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

The Hunters Knife was mentioned with using Kaze in mind, but perhaps a Butler Jacob could also get some use out of it. Kaze using the Hunters Knife is a Kitsunes/Pegasus worst nightmare, though it is a situational use.

It is by far Kaze’s best weapon. It is not situational when it trivialises sections every other chapter, literally. You are forgetting Cavaliers and foxes.

The Beast Killers are a godsend too. The wielders one-hit all targets on every situation.

Edited by starburst
The Lethality numbers were an oversimplification, for one must also factor the hit. I wanted to note that the percentage is not as low as it had been suggested.

48 minutes ago, starburst said:

It is by far Kaze’s best weapon. It is not situational when it trivialises sections every other chapter, literally. You are forgetting Cavaliers and foxes.

The Beast Killers are a godsend too. The wielders one-hit all targets on every situation.

I didn´t add Cavaliers because thinking about their promoted selves I was not sure whether or not Kaze would 1RKO (though how much of a criteria that is may be debatable), especially considering that Paladins/Great Knights are a thing for Endgame I think, barring chapter... 18 and excluding Paralogues? I did not wish to imply that he wouldn´t hurt them. Also Foxes were mentioned. Additionally, I underestimated the numerous maps with flying horses.

25 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

I didn´t add Cavaliers because thinking about their promoted selves I was not sure whether or not Kaze would 1RKO (though how much of a criteria that is may be debatable), especially considering that Paladins/Great Knights are a thing for Endgame I think, barring chapter... 18 and excluding Paralogues? I did not wish to imply that he wouldn´t hurt them. Also Foxes were mentioned. Additionally, I underestimated the numerous maps with flying horses.

He always one-rounds them. The ones that wield ranged physical weapons are Bow Knights, who cannot counter at 1-range anyway, and magical weapons are irrelevant on Kaze.
Chapters 14, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24 and Endgame. Seven chapters out of fourteen available. Pegasus and Kinshi ladies, Paladins, Bow and Dark Knights, foxes.

Yeah, I confused Kitsunes with the Kinshi ladies. 🙃

Edited by starburst

6 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

The very same goes for the Bolt Axe in regard to Camilla, though with a greater focus on Daka than accuracy. It´s, as I mentioned, another tool in the shed and far from a useless one.

I don't see it when Camilla's magic is far eclipsed by her strength.

3 hours ago, starburst said:

Its activation is not low, because Ninja and Master Ninja have great dexterity growths and always double. At 20 Skill, it is 10 % chance per encounter. How much do you want? It deletes enemies.

You do not plan hits with Lethality in mind, but simply enjoy when it activates. It is not that you paid thousands of gold for it or that Master Ninja is a terrible class to endure.

If you find one Euro on the park, it is all positive. You might want to find one hundred, but that is a wrong comparison. You had nothing and now you have one, the one hundred were always in your dreams.

Yes it is. Even with capped skill. you still have a trifling 8% activation rate per attack. That is absolutely worth calling low. Also, your probability calculation needs work.

A shitty activation rate is a shitty activation rate, no matter which way you slice it. I'd much rather use something that helps far more than Lethality will, of which there's a trainload of skills that are better than it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

41 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't see it when Camilla's magic is far eclipsed by her strength.

I´ll take Camillas 20/20 stats as a Malig Knight for this (it´s not what I personally prefer but w/e).

Her relevant stats are as follows: 31 Str to 19 Mag.

So, with a Hand Axe we have 38 damage, with an Iron Axe we get 39 damage, while with the Bolt Axe we get 33 damage. 5/6 points difference. Add to that the following. The Hand Axe cannot double but the Bolt Axe can – hence the Bolt Axe can potentially deal 66 Damage. Also, the -5 Spd penalty from the Hand Axe. However, the Iron Axe can double too, so we deal 78 damage. However, we only deal 78 damage in 1 range, whereas the Bolt Axe may deal 66 damage at 1-2 range. Though to be fair the Iron Axe may also trigger Skills, or critical hits.

Obviously, this is a very simplified comparison, but I would assume these are the most commonly used Axes – other Axes having more pronounced drawbacks. Steels Spd penalty, Silvers stat penalty, Tomahawk being 2 range only + no doubling + Spd penalty. The only other Axes would be the Killer Axe, which is the same as the Iron Axe but with additional Crit and Crit Damage and the Bronce Axe with it´s 6 Might. All of this is ignoring the "joke weapons".

Note that the Bolt Axe targets Res instead of Def – there being many enemies that have lower Def than Res: the Oni Line, the Archer line, the Knight Line, the Fighter line, the Mercenary line, the Wyvern line, the Spear Fighter line, the Apothecary Line, the Cavalier Line, Faceless and Stoneborn as well as Mechanists, Blacksmiths, Master of Arms, Dark Knights and excepting the Automatons, Kinshi Knight, Bow Knights and the Basara who have Res>Def. So the Bolt Axe may gain some more points of damage due to Res being lower.

Take this link to see stats: https://imgur.com/a/6T52mEK

Once again: another useful tool in the shed, not the key to all things.

However, I am also not here to open the eyes of those who refuse to see.

26 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

So, with a Hand Axe we have 38 damage, with an Iron Axe we get 39 damage, while with the Bolt Axe we get 33 damage. 5/6 points difference. Add to that the following. The Hand Axe cannot double but the Bolt Axe can – hence the Bolt Axe can potentially deal 66 Damage. Also, the -5 Spd penalty from the Hand Axe. However, the Iron Axe can double too, so we deal 78 damage. However, we only deal 78 damage in 1 range, whereas the Bolt Axe may deal 66 damage at 1-2 range. Though to be fair the Iron Axe may also trigger Skills, or critical hits.

Obviously, this is a very simplified comparison, but I would assume these are the most commonly used Axes – other Axes having more pronounced drawbacks. Steels Spd penalty, Silvers stat penalty, Tomahawk being 2 range only + no doubling + Spd penalty. The only other Axes would be the Killer Axe, which is the same as the Iron Axe but with additional Crit and Crit Damage and the Bronce Axe with it´s 6 Might. All of this is ignoring the "joke weapons".

Note that the Bolt Axe targets Res instead of Def – there being many enemies that have lower Def than Res: the Oni Line, the Archer line, the Knight Line, the Fighter line, the Mercenary line, the Wyvern line, the Spear Fighter line, the Apothecary Line, the Cavalier Line, Faceless and Stoneborn as well as Mechanists, Blacksmiths, Master of Arms, Dark Knights and excepting the Automatons, Kinshi Knight, Bow Knights and the Basara who have Res>Def. So the Bolt Axe may gain some more points of damage due to Res being lower.

On the other hand, Camilla isn't the only unit in the game. Once you consider the idea of other units existing, she suddenly has to compete with units that can match that 20/20 magic value before they promote, and the question arise, why use her to target those high defense units when you have better option. Now if your play style revolves around having Camilla act as a go to solution for everything, maybe having that tool in your pocket is worth it, but there other ways to play that make the Bolt Axe seem like an expensive bobble that gathers dust.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

On the other hand, Camilla isn't the only unit in the game. Once you consider the idea of other units existing, she suddenly has to compete with units that can match that 20/20 magic value before they promote, and the question arise, why use her to target those high defense units when you have better option. Now if your play style revolves around having Camilla act as a go to solution for everything, maybe having that tool in your pocket is worth it, but there other ways to play that make the Bolt Axe seem like an expensive bobble that gathers dust.

Beware. Much text ahead.

Spoiler

1) How many units are in Conquest that have the ability to wield the Bolt Axe competently, with respect to keeping it to relatively low investment – meaning building supports to reclass, meaning time to achieve the required weapon ranks as well as the rest of their stat line-up as in STR/SKL/SPD/DEF/RES. I believe there are not many other options, with Wyvern Elise already having been brought up. Feel free to bring them to my attention, I shall be delighted to try them out should I return to FE14 the next time. (that is not to say that I consider Camilla to be the goddess of all things FE – the only characters I have heard such things from would be Titania, Haar, Jill and their ilk)

2) Corrin, Felicia 1, Elise, Odin, Nyx, Leo, Forrest, Ophelia, Nina(?), Izana. Did I miss anyone? They all may surpass Camillas Mag stat – but all of them, with the only exception (maybe) being Corrin are flawed to some degree. Whether they are slow, inaccurate, frail, the matter of recruitment (paralogues) and join time. Additionally, I don´t remember ever having said that one only needs to give Camilla a Bolt Axe and distinctly remember referencing several different weapons, Axes even, over the course of my posts. Do go ahead and have any of the aforementioned units attack with a STR based weapon and tell me how that turned out. 

3) Perhaps you are overlooking that the post you quoted was to answer ShadowMir´s problems with sight, and that was purely with respect to Camillas performance with physical weapons relative to the Bolt Axe. I would think it should be obvious that I do not use, let´s say… Brave Sword Hero Nyx to discuss a specifically addressed aspect of Camillas performance.

4) As for my last point and perhaps this one being the most important one. In regard to your comment about playstyle. Having read through this thread I do not remember TC mentioning that he would not use Camilla, on the contrary I seem to recall him saying it would be his first playthrough of FE14 on Hard Classic whilst having prior experience with FE. So should I have overlooked such a thing… my post would still hold strong because, while it had admittedly and regretfully little to do with TC´s questions and was instead directed at ShadowMir that´s all there is to it. It´s an answer to ShadowMirs argument and nothing else and not an attempt to convince TC to surrender himself to the cult of Bolt Axe Camilla. I do not know, nor understand how you infer from the post you quoted whatever it is that you wished to express with your post.

Edited by Imuabicus

2 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I´ll take Camillas 20/20 stats as a Malig Knight for this (it´s not what I personally prefer but w/e).

Her relevant stats are as follows: 31 Str to 19 Mag.

Take this link to see stats: https://imgur.com/a/6T52mEK

Once again: another useful tool in the shed, not the key to all things.

However, I am also not here to open the eyes of those who refuse to see.

Looking at the stats, about the only enemies that have a high enough gap in defense and resistance that the Bolt Axe would be better are... Onis (which, far as I'm aware, are not very common), Blacksmiths (literally appear in only one chapter), Masters of Arms (not that common, and they're likely to have WTA), wyverns (which are a rare enemy type, seeing as they only show up in chapter 13 and endgame, of which the former are before the Bolt Axe even becomes buyable, and the latter only have slightly less resistance then defense), armors (which get their shit shoved in by the Hammer), Dark Knights (rare, and the ones in endgame have Warding Blow, AND they have WTA. Translation: Just use a Beast Killer instead), Merchants (not common either), and Stoneborn, who are not only rare, their day gets ruined by ending up on the business end of a Blessed Lance. Of course, Camilla won't be the only unit in play, which begs the questions... why in the name of the Golden Goddesses would I have her use the Bolt Axe when other units would do more magic damage? Why not just use those other units against high defense units instead? In any instance, it makes the Bolt Axe seem rather underwhelming for how expensive it is.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Looking at the stats, about the only enemies that have a high enough gap in defense and resistance that the Bolt Axe would be better are... Onis (which, far as I'm aware, are not very common), Blacksmiths (literally appear in only one chapter), Masters of Arms (not that common, and they're likely to have WTA), wyverns (which are a rare enemy type, seeing as they only show up in chapter 13 and endgame, of which the former are before the Bolt Axe even becomes buyable, and the latter only have slightly less resistance then defense), armors (which get their shit shoved in by the Hammer), Dark Knights (rare, and the ones in endgame have Warding Blow, AND they have WTA. Translation: Just use a Beast Killer instead), Merchants (not common either), and Stoneborn, who are not only rare, their day gets ruined by ending up on the business end of a Blessed Lance. Of course, Camilla won't be the only unit in play, which begs the questions... why in the name of the Golden Goddesses would I have her use the Bolt Axe when other units would do more magic damage? Why not just use those other units against high defense units instead? In any instance, it makes the Bolt Axe seem rather underwhelming for how expensive it is.

Chunk of text ahead.

Spoiler

Can you hear that? That´s the crying of all the Mercenaries, Archers, Fighters, Spear Fighters, Heroes, Snipers, Berserkers and Spear Masters, you just casually ignored. They make up parts of the following chapters, not differentiated by units, as follows: Chapter 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 26, (27 in parenthesis because 27 is weird), Endgame. Add them to the list you just compiled. Though I will add charging at a bow user with a flier may yield some unfortunate results. (If ignoring the 8 Mov) 

Regarding Onis, yes, they are indeed rare. They only appear in chapter 14, 24 and Endgame. As you can see from the imgur gallery the chapter 25 MoA will hold a Naginata at the beginning of the Map, the chapter 23 MoA will hold a Wakizashi and a Silver Club, though them changing weaponry certainly depends on their survival. Oh yeah, the Wyverns are a solid fuck-up on my part. I´m not sure the Hammer existing invalidates the Bolt Axe, as both would deal quite a bit of damage, as armours have the most severe Def-Res gap. Oh no, the rare Dark Knight has an enemy phase skill – if only there was a way around that (I will mention though that I agree on the Beast Killer/Hunter Knife and only included them to get the list somewhat complete).

Obviously, the enemy variety gets spiced up a bit should we account for Paralogues and Invasions, but I have no data for those. Do also keep in mind the Bolt Axe allows you to some decide to some degree whether or not you take damage.

On the point about monster more tomorrow if i feel like mathing it out.

You mean the 1-2 range weapon, that targets the weaker defensive stat sitting at 3300 gold. Yes, why would you consider the Bolt Axe with everything that I have already mentioned.

Edited by Imuabicus

14 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

1) How many units are in Conquest that have the ability to wield the Bolt Axe competently, with respect to keeping it to relatively low investment – meaning building supports to reclass, meaning time to achieve the required weapon ranks as well as the rest of their stat line-up as in STR/SKL/SPD/DEF/RES. I believe there are not many other options, with Wyvern Elise already having been brought up. Feel free to bring them to my attention, I shall be delighted to try them out should I return to FE14 the next time. (that is not to say that I consider Camilla to be the goddess of all things FE – the only characters I have heard such things from would be Titania, Haar, Jill and their ilk)

You don't have to buy the Bolt Axe. That is kinda what started this, whether or not the bolt axe is worth buying. Now with the right build maybe it is, but suggesting it as standard issue tool for Camilla seems rather silly, when it is very niche.

16 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

2) Corrin, Felicia 1, Elise, Odin, Nyx, Leo, Forrest, Ophelia, Nina(?), Izana. Did I miss anyone? They all may surpass Camillas Mag stat – but all of them, with the only exception (maybe) being Corrin are flawed to some degree. Whether they are slow, inaccurate, frail, the matter of recruitment (paralogues) and join time. Additionally, I don´t remember ever having said that one only needs to give Camilla a Bolt Axe and distinctly remember referencing several different weapons, Axes even, over the course of my posts. Do go ahead and have any of the aforementioned units attack with a STR based weapon and tell me how that turned out. 

I wouldn't have a MAG focused unit use a STR based weapon for the same reason I wouldn't force Camilla to use a MAG based one. Let units play towards their strengths instead of forcing them to be hindered by their weaknesses.

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

3) Perhaps you are overlooking that the post you quoted was to answer ShadowMir´s problems with sight, and that was purely with respect to Camillas performance with physical weapons relative to the Bolt Axe. I would think it should be obvious that I do not use, let´s say… Brave Sword Hero Nyx to discuss a specifically addressed aspect of Camillas performance.

ShadowMir kinda had a point. Camilla's magic is far lower than her strength. Rather than force her to use magic when she isn't suited to it, using a magic unit to compensate for that weakness is a solid response, and then use Camilla to cover for said magic unit's weakness.

4) As for my last point and perhaps this one being the most important one. In regard to your comment about playstyle. Having read through this thread I do not remember TC mentioning that he would not use Camilla, on the contrary I seem to recall him saying it would be his first playthrough of FE14 on Hard Classic whilst having prior experience with FE. So should I have overlooked such a thing… my post would still hold strong because, while it had admittedly and regretfully little to do with TC´s questions and was instead directed at ShadowMir that´s all there is to it. It´s an answer to ShadowMirs argument and nothing else and not an attempt to convince TC to surrender himself to the cult of Bolt Axe Camilla. I do not know, nor understand how you infer from the post you quoted whatever it is that you wished to express with your post.

My point about playstyle, was that you can use Camilla without needing a Bolt Axe. If you need to give Camilla a Bolt Axe to poorly cover for your lack of usable magic units, that seems like a playstyle that is relying on Camilla heavily. Now if that is what TC ends up needing that is fine, but acting like its a standard tool for her is kinda silly. Camilla doesn't have to do everything, hopefully you have an army with a couple of magically focused units to cover for her better than the Bolt Axe would have.

Beware. Much text ahead.

He may mean that if you do not use Camilla, there are no strong candidates for the Bolt Axe. As you have well explained, and I agree with you on that. Those are is not mutually exclusive.

I have no problems with spending that money on the Bolt Axe. The thing is that I do not use Camilla. And my other candidate, Malig Knight Elise, has less might or way fewer chances to double than her own Strategist or Sorceress options. Therefore, I would not recommend the purchase of the Bolt Axe as I would of various other weapons.

14 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

For Heart Seals, Friendship Seals, and Partner Seals, one is available to buy in the initial staff shop, two more become available after the first staff shop upgrade, and after the last staff shop upgrade you can buy as many as you can afford.

Now you get 2 Heart seals in standard gameplay (one in chapter 9, and another in chapter 16)

You get 3 Friendship seals, but all of them are in paralogues (Dwyer's [4], Ignatius's [17], and Soleil's [21]), but two of them require you to keep suicidal lemmings NPCs alive...

You also get 3 Partner seals, but all of them are in paralogues (Sophie's [5], Siegbert's [15], and Nina's [22]), but one of them requires you keep the most frustratingly suicidal lemmings in the game NPCs alive.

Master Seals are more readily available with two being available to buy in the initial staff shop, five more become available after the first staff shop upgrade, and after the last staff shop upgrade you can buy as many as you can afford.

additionally you get five in standard gameplay, although some come rather late (chapter 10, chapter 13, chapter 16, chapter 17, chapter 18)

Thank you so much for this!! I’ve been looking everywhere trying to figure out how many seals I can come across in a playthrough, meanwhile with my luck it’s probably sitting right on the fates serenes forest page without me knowing lol. 

This is going to make planning SO MUCH easier with this as a reference.

A little surprised by the lack of Draconic Hex in that list, as I have always found it to be one of the better skills available.

Yeah.. I’m not sure what I was thinking. After re-reading the description, it seems like a no brainer, especially if I’m planning to go the Master Ninja route, and utilizing daggers/shurikens that cause further debuffs to enemies. I would assume this skill stacks with dagger debuffs, or no?

The Dread Fighter plan does have the advantage of letting you build up some hidden weapon rank before you have to deal with promoted enemies, but on the other hand I have heard that using the Dread Seal on Mozu early makes for a potent unit. Again I wouldn't bother with Nohrian Trust unless you have a plan in place for how to abuse it.

Ah.. I didn’t even realize that the DF had access to hidden weapons, so it does seem like a rather good idea actually. But now I’m thinking I might just utilize them on other units that get more benefit from them, as it may help leveling up some of my weaker units easier whilst in mid-game.

I will take your advice on Nohrian trust as well, as I don’t want to go to crazy trying to make things work on my first playthrough. On my second run through, I’ll definitely look further into Nohrian trust though, as it seems/sounds as if it has potential to be extremely powerful with the correct set-up.

Draconic Hex is excellent, and switching without looking back at Nohrian Noble after that would be my plan, but again take that with a grain of salt.

I think this is going to be the plan. I’ll probably master seal corrin soon, around level 15-17, or just manually promote depending how good the exp flow is. Grab Draconic Hex, heart seal to Master Ninja, and from there just friend/partner seal to fill in any remaining slots with skills I find beneficial. 

-

One more thing if you don’t mind, it’s in regards to My Castle, and some of the buildings within it. I know mess hall is very useful as it offers temporary stats boosts for an entire chapter, and lottery shop can potentially offer you rare weapons if you get lucky, just have a few questions about the other buildings 

- Is the Forge/Smithy practical in offline play? It seems like you need a lot of materials and duplicate weapons to make proper use of it, which based on my limited experience so far seems very impractical. 

- The Prison. I’m probably going to end up using Niles, so I’ll have access to the Capture command. Just wondering how useful the Capture command is as a whole, and if it’s something I should be actively trying to do. On the subject of Niles, just wondering how good he is as actual combat unit.. or is he just more worth using for his utility?

- Accessory Building. What goes on here? Can I alter MU with what I had access too in character creation?

- For the rest of the buildings... are they mainly utilized in online?

-

Well yeah, thanks again as always, really appreciate everything and all the responses from everyone.

- Is the Forge/Smithy practical in offline play? It seems like you need a lot of materials and duplicate weapons to make proper use of it, which based on my limited experience so far seems very impractical. 

It is always useful. Build it soon.
You get one ore type per campaign, and as you upgrade the mine, you get more ore pieces. In contrast to food, ore can be exchanged within the forge (5 to 1), so that you always have access to the five variants. You also get ore as consolation prizes in the Lottery, and you can increase ore by betting it in the Arena.

I give my units +1 Iron forges as soon as possible. And +2 to select weapons late game. I never go beyond that and never have problems reaching offensive thresholds.

I build, in order: Staff Store » Lottery » Armoury » Forge » Diner » Arena.
I upgrade (not in order): Staff Store L3, Lottery L3, Armoury L3, Diner L3, Arena L2.

27 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Yeah.. I’m not sure what I was thinking. After re-reading the description, it seems like a no brainer, especially if I’m planning to go the Master Ninja route, and utilizing daggers/shurikens that cause further debuffs to enemies. I would assume this skill stacks with dagger debuffs, or no?

Nope. In fact, in case of debuffs, the bigger one prevails. Ergo, if you use a Steel Shuriken (-4 to defense and resistance and -3 to strength) and you have Seal Defense (-6 to defense), the enemy winds up with -3 Str, -4 Resistance, and -6 Defense. That said, there IS a skill that allows enemies to stack debuffs on your units, but it's only a factor in Lunatic mode, and even then, it's not relevant until late in the game.

27 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

One more thing if you don’t mind, it’s in regards to My Castle, and some of the buildings within it. I know mess hall is very useful as it offers temporary stats boosts for an entire chapter, and lottery shop can potentially offer you rare weapons if you get lucky, just have a few questions about the other buildings 

- The Prison. I’m probably going to end up using Niles, so I’ll have access to the Capture command. Just wondering how useful the Capture command is as a whole, and if it’s something I should be actively trying to do. On the subject of Niles, just wondering how good he is as actual combat unit.. or is he just more worth using for his utility?

- Accessory Building. What goes on here? Can I alter MU with what I had access too in character creation?

- For the rest of the buildings... are they mainly utilized in online?

On the Smithy: Not really. Due to the way the forge system works, you can only reliably forge one weapon type out of six. And you only get ore once per day, which doesn't help (note that the time of day passes after a battle or six hours of real time passes).

On the prison: I don't think Niles is that good, honestly. He struggles to do damage to anything that's even remotely defensive and doesn't have wings. His daughter Nina is much better imho, even without capture.

Accessories are more aesthetic than anything else. They have bonuses, but those are only for castle battles.

Edited by Shadow Mir