Something you'd love in a fire emblem game but fear you'll never see

James Marshall

How about we each list something that we would love to have in a fire emblem game but if we're being honest believe that we never will or if we do it will be either DLC or something like Game 8's Creature Campaign or Game 11's downloadable battles?. Here's mine

A brief period of time were both the characters forces and the enemy forces have agreed to a temporary cease fire and during the temporary cease fire theirs A Paralogue in which you get to control both some of your units and the games Camus in which you hunt down and destroy a sizeable group of Outlaws and its made clear that both your lord and the games Camus hope that this joint operation will turn the temporary cease fire into a permanent end to hostilities, but naturally it doesn't

Edited by James Marshall
Noticed that I made a few mistakes

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Basically everything in Berwick Saga]

In all seriousness though, I do mean a lot of things Berwick Saga did; mercenaries, buyable horses, Navaron-style prep screens, arrows, daggers, provoke, shields, weapon crafting, side missions...

Other things I'd like to see that I doubt will be implemented:

Bows not having 1 range, with perhaps the exception of crossbows. I like bows being the indirect-locked option rather than 1-19 range, as it kind of gets rid of their (admittedly mostly awful) niche.

Much, much less text/focus on prep time-Particularly in three houses, there has been a much stronger emphasis on grinding/not fighting. Personally, I'd rather have the series return to being more like the FE1-12 formula of Read Story Segment- Reequip army- Battle time. Granted, Berwick Saga is quite wordy, but the ratio of maps to text are still fairly good in my opinion.

Actual consequences to your actions. Not something like an entire branching story. But have choices that depending on how you do them in the story, it could potentially bite you in the butt later on.

An example is the enemy army is chasing you down, you cross a bridge. And get the opprotunity to destroy it to cut off them chasing. Making the chapter alot easier. It also makes the local village hate you and your unable to visit for some kind of fancy item.

But in doing so, much later in the story you have to cross the same area. And since its destroyed you have to find another route which goes through enemy territory or something making that chapter harder based on a choice you had much earlier.

Fates had a few situations like this with the dragon veins. Like creating a shortcut across the map, but it also opening up a large wave of enemies to use it. But i'm more so talking about long term effects that don't seem obvious right away.

Edited by Faellin

More of a focus on inventory, I'm a big fan of Inventory Tetris and I loved the (to my knowledge, which is admittingly lacking) slighty more focus it had in FE7 with mines and Light Runes, I'd like an FE game where the inventory was larger with more items to go in it, even stuff like equipable armor in a game with maybe lower defense growths than usual (And I guess your constitution would effect how much heavy armor you can wear?) so you'd have to think about who needs that fancy new helmet that's good for blocking damage the most. (Even if I'd probably end up running around with unarmored knights and heavily armored Clerics like I did with the shields in Echoes.)

While probably slightly off-topic, I'd also love a sorta "individual" focused spin-off, something like Chivalry or Mordhau, where it's a medieval game where you control your character but it's FE so I get to fly around the battlefield as a flying unit just lobbing spears at some poor dude who's already busy dealing with some heavily armored knight heading for him.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, a game where the map sprites dance to the preparation music as you plan.

I did not know how much I needed this in my life! 😂

I would like to have a game exclusively focused on map design, oblivious to all these “social” mechanics.
Keep the story as simple and non intrusive as possible, and assign all resources to map design and presentation.
Sure, let units talk, gossip, argue, marry, cheat and what not, but only after dozens of engaging maps have been designed and tested.

a custom character that is both fully custom and is purely a supporting character:

The character can fully customize them right down to their starting class. They have limited-to-no importance to the plot, and the story is very much the lord character's story. Basically, think along the lines of Rook from Xenoblade Chronicles X. 

Edited by vanguard333

8 hours ago, starburst said:

I would like to have a game exclusively focused on map design, oblivious to all these “social” mechanics.
Keep the story as simple and non intrusive as possible, and assign all resources to map design and presentation.
Sure, let units talk, gossip, argue, marry, cheat and what not, but only after dozens of engaging maps have been designed and tested.

Oh god, I really hope they actually do this.

11 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I'd like an FE game where the inventory was larger with more items to go in it, even stuff like equipable armor in a game with maybe lower defense growths than usual (And I guess your constitution would effect how much heavy armor you can wear?) so you'd have to think about who needs that fancy new helmet that's good for blocking damage the most.

Berwick Saga sorta does something like this- not helmets/armor, but shields and the like-Shields are treated as any other kind of equipment, and different units can use different shields, and some can use multiple kinds. This makes having a variety of GOOD shields for each type really important-Large shields in particular get the short end of the stick the first few chapters you have someone who can use 'em.

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, a game where the map sprites dance to the preparation music as you plan.

Yes. IntSys, make this happen!

12 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

A game where the units who retreat from battle in classic mode have to sit out a couple of chapters, but can return. They just need some time to recover from their wounds.

I agree with this too- I've only played one FE game with this mechanic, but it worked quite well, so you still couldn't abuse the system too much. The other nice thing was that game gave a small amount of experience to units who were not deployed, unless they were crippled/retreated. Granted, the experience gain was very minor, but it was still a nice touch. (Although I may be mistaken about the Bench experience thing, I'm not sure if it's awarded by map or chapter or whatnot.)

17 hours ago, lenticular said:

A canonically queer main character. (Avatarsexuals don't count.)

Isn't Edelgard kinda, though? She's confirmed bi. For my part, though, I'd love to see a well-written transgender character.

What else? How about Earth magic? It could uniquely target the enemy's defense when doing damage. It doesn't affect fliers, but it is highly effective against cavalry and armored foes. Could have names like "Tremor", "Richter", and "Subduction".

Also, a system of "Forge gems" - minerals that can be exhausted when forging, to give a weapon a new effect. So, I can use an "Armorcrush" gem on a Brave Sword to make an anti-Armor Brave Sword. Or an Aether gem that I can forge into a Silver Bow. And on higher difficulties, select enemies will have specially-forged weapons.

28 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Also, a system of "Forge gems" - minerals that can be exhausted when forging, to give a weapon a new effect. So, I can use an "Armorcrush" gem on a Brave Sword to make an anti-Armor Brave Sword. Or an Aether gem that I can forge into a Silver Bow. And on higher difficulties, select enemies will have specially-forged weapons.

I honestly wish the forging system in Fates were like that. I would have changed forging and resources immensely so that the proper middle ground between "only what your castle gives you" and "as much as you want" isn't something you have to guess at. But what I would have done for forging is have each gem instead represent a boost that can be applied to the weapon, that way you can't just combine two iron swords into a steel sword with almost exactly as much attack but more hit and no drawbacks.

As for how I'd have changed resources, I'd have had it be a system of trade, so that visiting tons of people doesn't just grant you infinite resources. You can put some resources in a box and say you'll trade them for another resource, and then wait to see if anyone else will take you up on your offer. And there would also be some NPC merchants who will make certain trades with you, just to make sure that gameplay doesn't require it to be popular online forever.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I honestly wish the forging system in Fates were like that. I would have changed forging and resources immensely so that the proper middle ground between "only what your castle gives you" and "as much as you want" isn't something you have to guess at. But what I would have done for forging is have each gem instead represent a boost that can be applied to the weapon, that way you can't just combine two iron swords into a steel sword with almost exactly as much attack but more hit and no drawbacks.

As for how I'd have changed resources, I'd have had it be a system of trade, so that visiting tons of people doesn't just grant you infinite resources. You can put some resources in a box and say you'll trade them for another resource, and then wait to see if anyone else will take you up on your offer. And there would also be some NPC merchants who will make certain trades with you, just to make sure that gameplay doesn't require it to be popular online forever.

Interesting! So like, 1 Topaz would provide +5 crit, while 1 Ruby gives +1 Mt? I could see something of that sort working.

As for getting other varieties, I like the idea of it not being an infinite harvest. Trading boxes could work - or it could be as simple as, you have to pay 1 gem to harvest 1 different gem type from another castle. As for non-online players, visiting merchants could work. But they could also make each type of forge gem obtainable in the main story, through drops, chests, or villages. 

13 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Isn't Edelgard kinda, though? She's confirmed bi. For my part, though, I'd love to see a well-written transgender character.

Edelgard is too avatarsexual for my tastes. Outside of her pining after Byleth, I don't know of anywhere that shows or implies her having even the slightest bit of romantic interest in any other female characters. I wouldn't be against the portrayal of a character who was mostly interested in one gender but had one person who was an exception. That could make for an interesting character and an interesting story. There's a lot of ways you can go with it or things you can do. With Edelgard, though, I never really felt as if they did any of that. Maybe I'm unfairly biased because I dislike avatars and avatar-worship to begin with, but I mostly got a sense of "Edelgard only likes guys (except for you; you're special)", which didn't make me feel tha Edelgard was bisexual so much as that avatars break the rules of time and space. For any bisexual women who played the game and did really identify with Edelgard's situation, then that's absolutely great. But having her sexuality be so tied to the avatar stopped it from working for me.

As for a transgender character, in theory that would be great, but in practice I would be nervous. I think that transgender characters are genuinely difficult to write well in video games. There are two opposite traps that you can fall into with them. On the one hand, you can have it be too front-and-central to the character and have their gender identity be all they ever talk about. That ends up creating a shallow, cartoonish character, which sucks. On the oher hand, you can write a character where their being transgender is scarcely mentioned at all and is jus a bit of background information that's easy to miss. But the problem there is that it can too often come across as tokenism if it's completely unnecessary for the character or the story. There is a middle ground, of course, but hitting the sweet spot is difficult and is not something I would trust most video game writers to get right.

I want to see a really good post-game or NG+. I liked Three Houses' because it cut back on the tedium like building professor level and gave options for building units in ways that would never work in a NG file, but it didn't really change the experience of the game, so I want to see something that changes a lot (although it wouldn't work that well with multiple routes).

14 hours ago, Samz707 said:

More of a focus on inventory, I'm a big fan of Inventory Tetris and I loved the (to my knowledge, which is admittingly lacking) slighty more focus it had in FE7 with mines and Light Runes, I'd like an FE game where the inventory was larger with more items to go in it, even stuff like equipable armor in a game with maybe lower defense growths than usual (And I guess your constitution would effect how much heavy armor you can wear?) so you'd have to think about who needs that fancy new helmet that's good for blocking damage the most. (Even if I'd probably end up running around with unarmored knights and heavily armored Clerics like I did with the shields in Echoes.)

Have you tried FE4 or FE5? They don't have exactly what you describe, but inventory management is very important in both games, and in both there are 7 item slots for each unit's inventory.

In FE4, managing inventories is a lot harder because you can only trade by selling and buying stuff to and from the pawn shop in castles, which can be quite difficult because every unit has their own gold pool, and you only sell things for half their value. This sounds like a pain and most people will say it is, but I personally didn't mind it because weapons and items are very potent and freely trading something like a 50 kill Brave Sword or the Paragon Ring would be ridiculously broken. The one thing I don't like is that you have kill boss who drop items with the unit who wants the item if you don't want to go through the Pawn Shop process.

FE5 is much less restrictive, and the weapons and items are a lot more limited because stat boosters are permanent and weapons and staves can't be repaired without using the Hammerne/Repair staff. However, you can trade an infinite amount of times on Player Phase which is very useful considering the scarcity of weapons compared to most FEs, and trading Crusader Scrolls to units close to levelling is fun. Capturing is the main way of getting weapons and you need to trade with enemies that you've captured to take their stuff. Thieves can also take whatever they want from enemies as long as their faster and have higher Constitution than the item they want to steal (Con can also increase on level up unlike GBAFE). Also unlike FE4, being able to trade normally lets you trade another unit's inventory so they equip a better weapon for Enemy Phase (for example, using an Armourslayer on PP but equipping a magic sword for EP).

I definitely think both of these games had more in-depth inventory management than  FE7, and Mines and Light Runes didn't really exist - there were only 4 Light Runes on Eliwood Mode, 3 on Hector Mode, and 5 Mines (and 1 of the Light Runes is mutually exclusive with 1 of the Mines). 

18 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Edelgard is too avatarsexual for my tastes. Outside of her pining after Byleth, I don't know of anywhere that shows or implies her having even the slightest bit of romantic interest in any other female characters.

I think she does in her supports with Dorothea, in particular the A and B.

3 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Edelgard is too avatarsexual for my tastes. Outside of her pining after Byleth, I don't know of anywhere that shows or implies her having even the slightest bit of romantic interest in any other female characters. I wouldn't be against the portrayal of a character who was mostly interested in one gender but had one person who was an exception. That could make for an interesting character and an interesting story. There's a lot of ways you can go with it or things you can do. With Edelgard, though, I never really felt as if they did any of that. Maybe I'm unfairly biased because I dislike avatars and avatar-worship to begin with, but I mostly got a sense of "Edelgard only likes guys (except for you; you're special)", which didn't make me feel tha Edelgard was bisexual so much as that avatars break the rules of time and space. For any bisexual women who played the game and did really identify with Edelgard's situation, then that's absolutely great. But having her sexuality be so tied to the avatar stopped it from working for me.

I initially interpreted "Avatarsexuals" as characters who can only achieve a paired ending with the Avatar. Such as Say'ri or Shura. Which Edelgard is definitely not. But even assuming she's only interested in F!Corrin, among women? I don't think that's accurate. Consider the following exchange from Edelgard and Dorothea's B-support:

Spoiler
  • Dorothea: That's no way to talk. You meet the right person and boom! You'll have passion to spare. Could be someone you've just met, or someone you've known your whole life... There's no telling how life will go. Something could even spark between the two of us!
  • Edelgard: You and I? Now that is an entertaining thought. If such an exciting future is in store, I look forward to it!
  • Dorothea: Oh yeah? That's awfully sweet of you, Edie.

At the very least, Edelgard is willing to entertain the premise of being in a romantic relationship with Dorothea. That's more romantic interest than she expresses toward most of her male peers. Their ending is platonic, yes, but it could just be their ambitions dragging them in different directions. Not due to supposed incompatibility.

12 minutes ago, lenticular said:

As for a transgender character, in theory that would be great, but in practice I would be nervous. I think that transgender characters are genuinely difficult to write well in video games. There are two opposite traps that you can fall into with them. On the one hand, you can have it be too front-and-central to the character and have their gender identity be all they ever talk about. That ends up creating a shallow, cartoonish character, which sucks. On the oher hand, you can write a character where their being transgender is scarcely mentioned at all and is jus a bit of background information that's easy to miss. But the problem there is that it can too often come across as tokenism if it's completely unnecessary for the character or the story. There is a middle ground, of course, but hitting the sweet spot is difficult and is not something I would trust most video game writers to get right.

That is fair. I think Three Houses did a fairly good job of handling mature themes, though - Dimitri's descent into madness, Gilbert's guilt and absenteeism, Marianne's struggle with depression and self-worth, and Lysithea's fear of her own mortality, among others. I think the writers could pull off a trans character well. Don't make it their only trait, or even most prominent one. But let them share their feelings and backstory honestly, in a few select supports. Let them be suspected, judged, and misunderstood - but, ultimately, accepted. The technical side of things (pre-, mid-, or post-transition? Achievable through magic, technology, or neither?), I'm not too choosy on. Even if it's a stretch, and a flawed or imperfect representation, I'd still greatly appreciate it, as a trans person myself. That's all!

14 minutes ago, Stones said:

I think she does in her supports with Dorothea, in particular the A and B.

13 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

At the very least, Edelgard is willing to entertain the premise of being in a romantic relationship with Dorothea. That's more romantic interest than she expresses toward most of her male peers. Their ending is platonic, yes, but it could just be their ambitions dragging them in different directions. Not due to supposed incompatibility.

I had managed to somehow completely forge about that, and I have no idea how! I know that I have seen that support and I'd have thought it would be the sort of thing I'd remember, but apparently not. Oh well. Thanks for setting me right, both. Objection withdrawn.

Having a queer main character would be lovely, and it would be great if that could extend to non-main characters and non-lords too! I think Linhardt and Dorothea were a step in the right direction, and it would be amazing to have characters that are just totally gay and have achievable S-supports (or romantic paired endings) with characters of the same gender. I'd love to have representation through characters that aren't just bi.

17 hours ago, starburst said:

I did not know how much I needed this in my life! 😂

Honestly yes, I feel like ironically the more FE tries to focus on the "Social" aspect, the weaker all the characters become, Byleth can literally make Bernie like them despite her fear of strangers barely into the game due to the social aspects. (Granted, part of that is her getting over it in their C Support, We don't need a Florina where it takes all 3 supports but you could have at least had it take the B support for that.), Awakening has the barracks, where everyone parrotes the same few generic lines of dialogue at each other and I've honestly always had characters repeat themselves to different people in the exact same visit.

Even Echoes suffered a little bit from certain supports/base conversations being a bit wonky and out of order. (Such as Luthier and Delthea's A, where Luthier says Alm is his friend now, even if you haven't done that bit of base convo with him yet.)

So yeah I'd like to focus on the maps, I'm here to stab people in a strategy game primarily.

6 hours ago, Stones said:

Have you tried FE4 or FE5? They don't have exactly what you describe, but inventory management is very important in both games, and in both there are 7 item slots for each unit's inventory.

I definitely think both of these games had more in-depth inventory management than  FE7, and Mines and Light Runes didn't really exist - there were only 4 Light Runes on Eliwood Mode, 3 on Hector Mode, and 5 Mines (and 1 of the Light Runes is mutually exclusive with 1 of the Mines). 

Haven't played 4 and 5 yet, I do agree that there are way too little Mines/Light Runes in FE7 but I did love when I actually did find a good spot to use them (Eliwood blocking off a 1 tile bridge for a few turns so I could heal/prepare my other units or Nils dropping a mine directly infront of a enemy coming for him so he doesn't get to attack as he's interrupted by the mine.), I'd even like some minesweeping elements, Thieves can already disarm mines in FE7 but the maps never call for it, I like the idea of them and in another FE game where they aren't too rare I think they'd add a decent element to the tactics.