Something you'd love in a fire emblem game but fear you'll never see

James Marshall

7 hours ago, lenticular said:

I had managed to somehow completely forge about that, and I have no idea how! I know that I have seen that support and I'd have thought it would be the sort of thing I'd remember, but apparently not. Oh well. Thanks for setting me right, both. Objection withdrawn.

Hey, no problem - it can be hard to remember every support in a game with this many. Props to you, for being willing to reconsider your position in light of new evidence. For the record, I would like to see more queer lords in the future. And I think there is a valid complaint about Edelgard's degree of obsession with the professor (of either gender). Although, I would say that's more a result of the story being built around Byleth, than anything else ("everybody loves the avatar" syndrome).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Isn't Edelgard kinda, though? She's confirmed bi. For my part, though, I'd love to see a well-written transgender character.

Her only paired ending with another girl that's explicitly romantic is with F!Byleth; she doesn't even have a romantic paired ending with Dorothea (who is all but confirmed to be bi). It is a case of her liking guys with F!Byleth being the exception. 

I would like to see a playable character in FE that almost-explicitly has high-functioning autism, and it is actually written well. I myself have autism, and I really like when autism is shown accurately in media, especially since it often isn't. 

26 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I would like to see a playable character in FE that almost-explicitly has high-functioning autism, and it is actually written well. I myself have autism, and I really like when autism is shown accurately in media, especially since it often isn't. 

I mean you could argue Linhardt has autism or adhd maybe even both. He’s somewhat socially awkward and has overt obsession with crests and history. I’m on the lower end of the spectrum myself and there are lot of things I relate with in regards to how linhardt is characterized. But I’m no psychiatrist so *shrug*

A solo female lord with her own agency and story focus. No male lord to swoop in and be the focus and real hero in the end, as Fire emblem typically does when we get a female lord at all. Edelgard was a step in the right direction but three houses was afraid to commit, making her the only lord you get an out from supporting mid-route and giving disproportionate dev time to AM and Dimitri. 

Bonus points if it's in an avatarless game so she had a chance of being a fully fleshed out LGBT character that people have wanted, since that likely won't happen in a game with an avatar.

A return to having recruitable characters come from all manner of different backgrounds and be met periodically over the course of the game, rather than frontloading the vast majority of recruitments and generally including only young characters who were already actively affiliated with the main character's side before joining your team.

EDIT:

2 hours ago, Ether said:

A solo female lord with her own agency and story focus. No male lord to swoop in and be the focus and real hero in the end, as Fire emblem typically does when we get a female lord at all. Edelgard was a step in the right direction but three houses was afraid to commit, making her the only lord you get an out from supporting mid-route and giving disproportionate dev time to AM and Dimitri. 

Bonus points if it's in an avatarless game so she had a chance of being a fully fleshed out LGBT character that people have wanted, since that likely won't happen in a game with an avatar.

Also this

Edited by Topaz Light

I'd really enjoy more terrain interaction such as using spells, items, or abilities to get some extra tactical effect out of terrain besides just a small (or big, thanks FE5) avoid/def modifier. Some of this is already present in FE (snags, breaking walls/gates, light runes, etc.), but it's largely inconsequential due to barely affecting tactics (walls break very easily) or being incredibly rare or limited (light rune). Imagine if there were a light rune staff or other barrier-creating staff to wall off tiles or if you could burn forested/grassy/carpeted terrain and turn it into a  dangerous, expanding damage zone or if you could freeze water tiles to create bridges or if you create an earthquake to weaken or destroy structures or create fissures or cave-ins and so on. Balancing all this to be a relevant part of a fun but still challenging and non-cheesable experience would probably be very difficult, of course, but if done right there could be a lot of value and uniqueness. Maybe it doesn't belong in FE, but terrain modification could bring a little more oomph to the tactics.

Berwick also has some really cool terrain-related stuff such as a skill that allows units to hide on building/forest tiles, allowing only foot units to cross house terrain, or even just the existence of cliff terrain at all which among other factors really elevates the gameplay above FE in many ways, especially the current state of FE.

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Her only paired ending with another girl that's explicitly romantic is with F!Byleth; she doesn't even have a romantic paired ending with Dorothea (who is all but confirmed to be bi). It is a case of her liking guys with F!Byleth being the exception. 

The thing is, her supports with male characters have very few romantic aspects. She has feelings for both Byleths, yes, and seems accepting of Hubert's expressed feelings. But when Ferdinand attempts to propose to her, she shuts him down ASAP. And romance really isn't an aspect of her supports with Caspar, Linhardt, or Hanneman - as far as I could tell.

With female characters, it's... mostly the same. Her supports with Bernadetta, Petra, Lysithea, and Constance, I've found to be generally devoid of romance. I already brought up the Dorothea support, though, as at least having hints of romance. And there is a bit from the Manuela support:

Spoiler
  • Edelgard: You're too kind.
  • Manuela: Nah, I've just been around a bit longer than you, that's all. While we're on the subject... Yes, the goddess does supply me with emotional support. But so do you. Whether you know it or not.
  • Edelgard: I... What do you mean by that?
  • Manuela: Just what I said, my dear. Just what I said.
  • Edelgard: Ugh, now I'm blushing. Let's change the subject, shall we?
  • Manuela: As you wish. I think I've said quite enough as it is!

A stretch, perhaps, but it's definitely possible to glean a romantic tone from these lines. And their ending hints at a future romantic relationship between them (which is kinda disquieting, given their age difference and teacher/student dynamic, but... oh well).

Speaking of endings, the only explicitly romantic ones are with Byleth (both versions), Ferdinand, and Caspar. Hubert's and Hanneman's (again, big hm...) strongly hint at a romantic relationship, while Linhardt's and Manuela subtly suggest one. In this aspect, it definitely appears that Edelgard is more into men than women. On the flip side, though, most characters in the game are straight - so a bi person, equally attracted to either gender, would still have more potential opposite-gender than same-gender partners. Perhaps her affinity for Lysithea was as great as hers for Caspar - but only in the latter case, were they romantically compatible.

Anyway, this ultimately comes across as a criticism that Edelgard is "not queer enough". Which, even if that's not what was intended, seems like a troubling sort of gatekeeping. Would it have been cool for her to get another romantic ending with a woman, absolutely. But let's not handwave away the fact that she does have an explicitly-available queer pairing, and dialogue with her female allies that's suggestive, at the very least.

A story written by Oda, Kishimoto, or Urobuchi. I just think these three are good writers. Kishimoto’s portrayal of war is very grounded. He really knows how to portray what war does to people and how hopeless a battlefield can be and just how everyone is a victim of the suffering it brings. Oda is just a god when it comes to world building and subtle foreshadowing and just generally like being able to create this massive intricate web of politics, characters, side factions, and just so many other moving parts. It’s really quite impressive. I would love to see how either of them would handle a Fire Emblem story. Same with Urobuchi. If you want a dark and depressing story, he’s the man you should call. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching Fate/Zero and Madoka is that man has a pension for making characters suffer in some of the most psychologically brutal ways possible. But alas I doubt any of this will happen in the forseeable future.

A game where they can do romance options 'correctly'. Let's be honest, if TH was developed by a western company and they launched the game with the mess that was Linhardt (most feminine looking guy of the whole cast), Alois and Gilbert (bait and switch), it would've received a much more vocal backlash.

Avatar that can be implemented into the story without taking the spotlight off of the other cast members and NOT having the whole cast worship you. No more Corrins where everyone blindly follows despite knowing he's naive af. No more 'Professor I would love to be in your class even though you don't talk! Because OF YOU, I HAVE FOUND MY PURPOSE IN LIFE and will now betray my whole country and friends and family just because I love you so much but you probably will marry someone else anyways'.

Edited by zuibangde

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

No more Corrins where everyone blindly follows despite knowing he's naive af. No more 'Professor I would love to be in your class even though you don't talk! Because OF YOU, I HAVE FOUND MY PURPOSE IN LIFE and will now betray my whole country and friends and family just because I love you so much but you probably will marry someone else anyways'. 

1. That’s the point 

2. that’s the fucking point

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

1. That’s the point 

2. that’s the fucking point

What's the point? That they can perfect the skill of unrealistic and shitty character development? 

Edit: Actually more like how they can write perfectly good characters but can completely cause those characters to act out of character by simply implementing an avatar. Quite impressive really. 

Edited by zuibangde

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

What's the point? That they can perfect the skill of unrealistic and shitty character development? 

1. Fates is a story all about blind belief and trust. People blindly trusting Corrin is a way of showcasing those themes. 

2. Byleth is a kuudere. The point of their character is that gradually learn to open up and better express their emotions over time which allows them to better connect with their students as the story progresses. 

like I said that’s the point

31 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

1. Fates is a story all about blind belief and trust. People blindly trusting Corrin is a way of showcasing those themes. 

There are better ways to showcase this theme without having the cast making outrageous decisions like blindly jumping off a bridge despite voicing their concerns about that very thing a second before. Or how half of the cast of Nohr had no problems or even wanted to kill their enemies but because Corrin (someone with no experience with war) says no, they obliged with no objection. Is that blind belief/trust or just bad characterization? 

31 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

2. Byleth is a kuudere. The point of their character is that gradually learn to open up and better express their emotions over time which allows them to better connect with their students as the story progresses. 

My problem is that characters that have pre-established, long lasting friendships (Anette + Mercedes, Felix/Ingrid/Sylvain/Dimitri, Raphael/Ignatz etc.) are willing to kill each other because they were in the class of ONE person that gave as much advice as a magic 8-ball five years ago. You can argue that they're fighting for what they believe in but that's quite contrived seeing that they 'believe' in what they're fighting for regardless of the route you picked. 

Anyways, this is a thread about what I want to see in the future games and I don't want to see anymore avatar worshipping (to put it simply). Not sure why you're sounding angry over that.

Edited by zuibangde

Y'know, I just thought of a few more:

FAR, FAR FEWER SUPPORTS.

While low support quantity=/= good supports, (look at the GBA games) the amount of supports the newer games have is...Too much, in my opinion-There's so many all the time that I'm rarely interested in them, plus the fact that it makes the characters act very samey-Fates and Three houses suffer from this the most. This also makes it so there's only logical pairings and endings and not too many of them. I would rather go back to married/paired endings for few characters.

And please, no avatars. None of the avatars in the series have made their respective games better-In fact, I think that they had a negative influence on them. Corrin, for example, could have been really good, but because they became the avatar, the game always makes Corrin the center of the universe, which is too bad IMO, as I like Corrin's character aside from the Avatar-y bits. And Mark straight-up takes away all of Lyn's screentime in Lyn mode, everybody is willing to abandon everything they love for Byleth, Kris is Kris, etc, etc.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, James Marshall said:

A brief period of time were both the characters forces and the enemy forces have agreed to a temporary cease fire and during the temporary cease fire theirs A Paralogue in which you get to control both some of your units and the games Camus in which you hunt down and destroy a sizeable group of Outlaws and its made clear that both your lord and the games Camus hope that this joint operation will turn the temporary cease fire into a permanent end to hostilities, but naturally it doesn't

WOW! This idea is so cool! That would be a really mature way of tying the standard bandit chapters into the overall plot, as the bandit subplots are usually goofy and not related to the main storyline. I can't understate how interesting this idea sounds. I'd love to see you implement this in a ROM-hack, or story of some kind.

Something I would love to see in Fire Emblem is a re-imagining of the Knight class. Knights in Fire Emblem are awful, both in design and in gameplay merit. The Fire Emblem wiki refers to Awakening Knights appearing similar to "cauldrons," as in cooking pots. Cooking pots! That's not at all what a knight looked like. In fact, knights in the late-medieval/renaissance era were very slender. Take a look:

Spoiler

Full-plate-armor-of-Archduke-Sigismund-von-Tirol.-Augsburg-circa-1484.jpg

Nice waist. Now I understand that knights were typically mounted, and that Cavaliers/Paladins are analogous to real knights, while Knights are analogous to cooking pots (lol). But knights fought dismounted as well. As I understand it, dismounted knights wielding poleaxes were a staple in the late-medieval era. Really, the Knight should be my favorite class. I love knights. But Fire Emblem Knights are exceptionally different, and as I understand it, not all that popular. So I would love to see them change to something more in line with knights of the late-medieval era.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:33 AM, Stylus said:

Nice waist. Now I understand that knights were typically mounted, and that Cavaliers/Paladins are analogous to real knights, while Knights are analogous to cooking pots (lol). But knights fought dismounted as well. As I understand it, dismounted knights wielding poleaxes were a staple in the late-medieval era. Really, the Knight should be my favorite class. I love knights. But Fire Emblem Knights are exceptionally different, and as I understand it, not all that popular. So I would love to see them change to something more in line with knights of the late-medieval era.

In terms of design, I would say that Fire Emblem armor knights are made so... rotund... to emphasize their class traits - high defense and HP, low speed and movement. A more realistic-looking knight basically tracks with the Soldier class, more than anything else. Which has pretty average stats, not excelling in any particular area.

Being able to play friends with your units. This may or may not have been a thing in Awakening, but I don't think it was. I think what you could do was battle your friend's chosen units and at the end you received their avatar, but it wasn't a pvp mode. In this day, I can't believe it hasn't happened. Like, online play is all the hype (though I barely play it) these days. You'd think they'd want to give more incentives for people to buy the Nintendo online subscription too. I still haven't seen a single reason to buy it.

Just imagine large scale battles against your friends in Three Houses though, that would be amazing. I've dreamed of pvp in Fire Emblem since Blazing Sword. I fear it may never happen.

I got a few:

Introduction of guns/firearms

I know that Fire Emblem takes place in a medieval fantasy world, but I think that early firearms can be introduced, similar to Expeditions: Conquistador or Pillars of Eternity. Firearms may ignore defence stats and cause high damage, while being inaccurate and being unable to shoot over friendly units.

NYjj7UF.jpg

Fire Emblem Cipher mini-game

Similar to Gwent in the Witcher, I hope that FE Cipher can be included as a mini-game between battles. This will be a good send-off and shout-out to Cipher.

vR8O0o4.jpg

Playing Co-op in campaigns or scenarios

I hope instead of PVP, local and internet multiplayer can be included cooperatively as allied units, similar to Wargroove or Pandemic. 

SRtaugU.jpg

Give us blood already, if we can have Hector bloody in FE6 why have we not had one FE game with over-the-top anime blood sprays? I guess like Vandal Hearts. (Since a friend mentioned it when we were talking about how kinda strangely non-bloody the actual FE games are despite the FEGaiden manga literally depicting a head on a pike.)

Get a crit with a Killing Edge and let the anime-high-pressure blood fountain commence!

Edited by Samz707

A joke DLC campaign where the Ice Aliens from Codename:Steam (You know, that other strategy game IS made on the 3Ds that no one remembers.)  invade, suddenly the basic fire spell is better than Bolting and other weird stuff since you're fighting ice aliens instead of people and I'm sure FE players would like the hard to hit flying dudes with a no damage attack that stuns your units for a full turn.

46 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

A joke DLC campaign where the Ice Aliens from Codename:Steam (You know, that other strategy game IS made on the 3Ds that no one remembers.)  invade, suddenly the basic fire spell is better than Bolting and other weird stuff since you're fighting ice aliens instead of people and I'm sure FE players would like the hard to hit flying dudes with a no damage attack that stuns your units for a full turn.

Considering I could over a year after its release buy it cheaper new than used, that definitely shoots down the possibly of it ever appearing ever again in any capacity.

Though I'm aware of a skill in Berwick Saga for Archers that is basically a turn-based version of the Overwatch mechanic. Now gimme the Prowlers with their ability to Overwatch four times a turn, and to keep dodgetanks from ruining their day, give them 250 Hit.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:19 AM, Ottservia said:

I know this is from over a month ago, and I've no opinion on Byleth, but I've seen "silent protagonist who starts stoic, ends otherwise" in another story. I did not like it, because how was I supposed to tell they were opening up? How was I supposed to tell they had been greatly moved and meant it? 

The thing is, said protagonist later got a voice, and when they did I really liked them. Making their unnecessary silence earlier all the worse because I would've liked to see more from this character and truly understand their entire arc.