Something you'd love in a fire emblem game but fear you'll never see

James Marshall

On 12/25/2020 at 6:53 AM, Francis said:

I'd really like a game with that type of avatar.
Like, he/she could start as a Villager, being kinda weak, then you can reclass him/her in different classes for the two genders, and then stop, you can use that avatar as any other units without many interactions in the story. Like the random knight of the two cavaliers you get everytime you start a classic FE.

I've felt this way for years, I like having a self insert but don't want to be center stage.   Being just an ally healer unit off to the side with little story relevance would be great.   

And I'm sorry many would disagree with me but I'd like S supports to return but only for characters that it would make sense for.   Maybe a handful of S support options per story relevant characters + avatar.   Giving the avatar character supports with everyone so they can freely marry whoever doesn't make much sense if they're simply a side character.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/3/2021 at 12:58 AM, henrymidfields said:

Regarding attack speed, should weapon ranks and skill/dexterity play a role in mitigating being "weighed down"? Dexterity and weapon rank could be used to indicate how much a unit is used to using the particular type of weapon and counteract the weapon's "awkwardness" or "unwieldiness". Maybe Dexterity/10 for games with higher numbers of cap, and -1 to -3 (or more) effective weight for rank difference between unit and equipped weapon? (Like, an A-rank unit using a C-rank weapon.)

i don't think weapon weight is necessary anymore because fates has showed us how you can balance weapons without it, but if it's going to stay, it certainly should be mitigated by dexterity and not strength (or constitution, dear god let that die). it makes sense and gives a new utility to a stat that needs it. weapon rank could have some minor effect too.

also weapon weight shouldn't affect avoid, only attack speed. avoid penalties should be the fates way always.

Edited by Axie

based on other discussion, FE could introduce weather system. this is mainly come from 3H original Japanese title (four season), and my current games i played. its not new idea either. a map can have variants of snow and summer (or spring or fall). and based on that it could hinder and/or boost certain types of unit

so a crude example: map have "winter" variant with heavy blizzard will make flying unit less effective (think of it like sand map but affecting flying unit instead). but it also have summer variant where no unit getting handicap, aka normal one like usual.

now i also fully know that one unit in FE really count so something like that should not make a unit useless or prone to death. but it make re-using a map layout less obvious and less boring while introducing weather obstacle to spice thing up when replaying same map, similar to VC series

the obvious problem for balancing ofc will be the reclassing, if only a certain types get penalty then obviously player will have to reclass so many and so often at once if reclassing is as easy as 3H

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

You know full well that the devs would nerf armor units in the summer.

getting roasted inside their own thicc armor eh? nice thinking

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:53 PM, Francis said:

A new type of avatar.

I remember when Echoes was first announced and a screenshot leaked, people didn't know who Faye was and many tought her sprite was the "avatar" one.
Me and my friend back then tought this new avatar could have been a new villager from Ram without much involvement in the story (like Klidd and Faye), and so just a random unit with some supports, with normal stats and limited classes.
I still think that's a very cool idea. I like avatars, but they really became less and less fascinating from game to game, with Kris and Robin being the most interesting ones and Corrin and Byleth the most absurd avatar IS could ever write.

New Mystery, Awakening, Fates and Three Houses spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

We start with Kris being just a royal guard, and even if he is important to the story, he feel like a nice character, I must say.
Then we have Robin; he is just overpowered, gameplay-wise, and you can basically play every map just with him after a while. He basically become the protagonist of the third part of the story (vs Grima), but during the first two arcs he is just the co-protagonist, togheter with Lucina and Chrom, and I really liked it.
Sadly, Corrin become basically the center of Fates whole plot, he is realated with everyone and has every power, everyone loves him and bla bla. Boring story for a boring character. He isn't as strong as Robin, gameplay wise, but you have to use him for every chapter so he will eventually become good.

Byleth takes what Corrin is and make it even more exaggerate, being basically GOD. That's all.
And he doesn't even talk, he doesn't even have a true personality, he is just a silent reincarnation of a dead goddess. Also overpowered gameplay-wise.

I'd really like a game with that type of avatar.
Like, he/she could start as a Villager, being kinda weak, then you can reclass him/her in different classes for the two genders, and then stop, you can use that avatar as any other units without many interactions in the story. Like the random knight of the two cavaliers you get everytime you start a classic FE.

I agree with all of this SO much. I feel like all FE avatars have suffered from being this weird in-between of player insert and separate character. This has caused the story of their games to suffer since they have to be involved somehow.

Having the avatar just be another soldier in the army would help alleviate this. Sadly, I highly doubt IS would do this for fear of upsetting fans who like these aspects of the avatar.

Edited by Metal Flash
Improve wording

I'd like to see a Fire Emblem game that's focused less on characters' individual power and more on using the environment. To that extent, I'd like to see a Fire Emblem game that maybe experiments with a level-up system similar to that of the Valkyria Chronicles games: you obtain a lump sum of experience points after the fight and put those experience points towards levelling up classes rather than individual units (i.e. levelling up levels up everyone in that class) so that no unit falls behind. 

Perhaps the ability to interrogate captured enemies? 

Like maybe certain enemies are sorta "Hidden" in a fog of war sorta way even in non-fog of war maps, but by capturing an enemy and interrogating them you can say, find the location of hidden siege tome users or the exact contents of a chests so you know which ones to go after.

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Perhaps the ability to interrogate captured enemies? 

Like maybe certain enemies are sorta "Hidden" in a fog of war sorta way even in non-fog of war maps, but by capturing an enemy and interrogating them you can say, find the location of hidden siege tome users or the exact contents of a chests so you know which ones to go after.

and when would this action take place? right before you stumble upon hidden enemy, just one tile away? 😄
if hidden in non fog war then its our standard ambush spawn after all... then you want more ambush spawn ? (please say yes 😛 )

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I'd like to see a Fire Emblem game that's focused less on characters' individual power and more on using the environment. To that extent, I'd like to see a Fire Emblem game that maybe experiments with a level-up system similar to that of the Valkyria Chronicles games: you obtain a lump sum of experience points after the fight and put those experience points towards levelling up classes rather than individual units (i.e. levelling up levels up everyone in that class) so that no unit falls behind. 

neat, all (almost) equally important and expendable

Edited by joevar

One idea that I’ve thought of that I thought would be interesting would be the option to remarry a character if their spouse dies. For instance if I was playing Awakening, if Robin was married to Tharja and Tharja dies then Robin would have the option to remarry another unit in the game. It would add in some unique dynamics like step-parents and step-siblings. Plus it just makes more sense than a character’s spouse dies and now they’re single forever. Idk I just think it would be a nice touch.

3 hours ago, _radio_host_ said:

One idea that I’ve thought of that I thought would be interesting would be the option to remarry a character if their spouse dies. For instance if I was playing Awakening, if Robin was married to Tharja and Tharja dies then Robin would have the option to remarry another unit in the game. It would add in some unique dynamics like step-parents and step-siblings. Plus it just makes more sense than a character’s spouse dies and now they’re single forever. Idk I just think it would be a nice touch.

How are you going to implement that without the characters coming across as heartless psychopaths who replace their loved ones and continue on without missing a beat with a new partner? Because no way they'd ever be able to write a nuanced support about getting over one's loss and finding love with another in addition to step parent supports for every single possible combination in the game. At best you could get this as an option or even a full plot beat for a main/major character, but for every character in the roster? Nah, no way at all. Not without just removing supports entirely.

9 hours ago, _radio_host_ said:

Honestly, before that, I'd want them to implement spousal reactions to death. Like, the second they flash and vanish, it pans to their  spouse on the map, who has a reaction line. And perhaps, depending on their personality, an extra effect. Like, one I imagined: right after the reaction, it might show them on the map again, glowing with an aura while letting out an echoing voiced scream, followed by another line where they declare a bloody rampage of revenge, and they get double their support bonuses that they got with their lover until the battle ends.

Considering how much work goes into support conversations these days, adding in a couple customized lines for each character reacting to the death of each possible spouse wouldn't be much work at all.

Of course that's assuming the devs even give a shit about character death anymore. The latest game blatantly assumes it's never going to happen, and it's possible the entire concept of ironmanning or moving on after character death is a dead concept to the devs. We'll have to see.

Honestly, before that, I'd want them to implement spousal reactions to death. Like, the second they flash and vanish, it pans to their  spouse on the map, who has a reaction line. And perhaps, depending on their personality, an extra effect. Like, one I imagined: right after the reaction, it might show them on the map again, glowing with an aura while letting out an echoing voiced scream, followed by another line where they declare a bloody rampage of revenge, and they get double their support bonuses that they got with their lover until the battle ends.

Considering how much work goes into support conversations these days, adding in a couple customized lines for each character reacting to the death of each possible spouse wouldn't be much work at all.

Of course that's assuming the devs even give a shit about character death anymore. The latest game blatantly assumes it's never going to happen, and it's possible the entire concept of ironmanning or moving on after character death is a dead concept to the devs. We'll have to see.

I'd love to see what crazy stuff LTCers would use a mechanic like that to achieve. And as far as encouraging Iron Man, it would be a great way to do it, as unlike Shadow Dragon, you wouldn't feel like you're ever missing anything by not getting map specialized stat boosts. Ie, it would be a bonus, it wouldn't be an encouragement to slaughter your army.

like Jotari i thought that @_radio_host_ suggestion a little bit too extreme and complicated (and pain in the ass) to implement

but your suggestion seems more doable, if we have canon pairing or at least lower pool of possible combination. maybe something like FE7 paired ending where the option is few, and even between that few its clear some wont end well in sweet happy ending. in that case, the most sensible pairing would get your suggestion which is getting extra lines reacting to partner fates.

why limited pairing or only canon? well the reaction would get comparably silly and lose the impact if they react to many people imo. (imagine you get early pair, then one of them dies, then you pair them again with other, and they react again in the exact same way )

If the abiltiy to moves enemies returns, maybe having it actually be a medieval martial arts throw of some kind as it's own attack, with maybe constitution having an effect (A small cleric probably is going to find it hard to toss a knight but a knight can easily throw a cleric like a ragdoll.), if we're gonna have somewhat silly melee stuff, just add throws/kicks for full effect, I want to be able to toss a guy behind my armor knight so my dudes behind him can stab him.

There were some martial arts stuff around the Medieval time. (even if I'm not sure if any of the moves in this video are actually any historical martial arts.)

Edited by Samz707

I want the generic early bandit boss who usually dies in Chapter 1 to become playable. When you fight them they act like any other early bandit boss, except the protagonist spares them under the condition that they stop banditry. The bandit initially swears revenge for being defeated, but being spared makes them rethink their life and later they save the hero when they're in trouble.

Since people already tend to treat the male and female avatars as different characters (gameplaywise or otherwise), go with the Astral Chain method and have the avatar you don't pick be a separate character. They don't have to be important to the plot, though they'd probably be the main avatar's sibling if both genders look similar.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Since people already tend to treat the male and female avatars as different characters (gameplaywise or otherwise), go with the Astral Chain method and have the avatar you don't pick be a separate character. They don't have to be important to the plot, though they'd probably be the main avatar's sibling if both genders look similar.

or just go the pokémon route and have them look very different from each other! in 3H they won't even let you edit byleth's appearance anyway, so there's no reason for female and male avatars to look similar anymore

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

i honestly thought that was the case at first. also in new game+ you can actually see the other gender of your byleth beside Sothis anyway

On 1/17/2021 at 2:04 AM, joevar said:

and when would this action take place? right before you stumble upon hidden enemy, just one tile away? 😄
if hidden in non fog war then its our standard ambush spawn after all... then you want more ambush spawn ? (please say yes 😛 )

neat, all (almost) equally important and expendable

They'd still exist and attack you, you just don't know where exactly on the map they are til' you get close enough/find out where it is via interrogation or something, every other enemy is still visible though, so it's a kinda fog of war but only on specific "stealthed" units rather than the whole enemy army.

I think it's partly because Female Byleth has more a neutral smile rather than the sorta completely blank neutral look Male Byleth has.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, Alastor15243 said:

That'd be cool and is probably something the series should have already had.

13 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I want the generic early bandit boss who usually dies in Chapter 1 to become playable. When you fight them they act like any other early bandit boss, except the protagonist spares them under the condition that they stop banditry. The bandit initially swears revenge for being defeated, but being spared makes them rethink their life and later they save the hero when they're in trouble.

FE7 Remake with playable Batta the Beast when?

Two more things I would like to see

1. The return of mourning quotes. One of my favourite additions to Echoes, I was sad to see them not being in Three Houses. if that means less playable characters than that`s fine by me

2. More playable couples, as in two people already dating or married. With Avatars being so common nowadays it`s not likely to happen, but I feel you could get a nice variety of interactions out of such a pair.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, Alastor15243 said:

That would be hilariously morbid. I love it. LTCs are already psychotic enough as-is, I'd be all for checking that stuff out.

"So here we have this guy's love interest that we had get together get horribly burnt to death infront of him so he'll go berserk and then use that increased crit-chance to kill the boss."

1 minute ago, Metal Flash said:

Two more things I would like to see

1. The return of mourning quotes. One of my favourite additions to Echoes, I was sad to see them not being in Three Houses. if that means less playable characters than that`s fine by me

2. More playable couples, as in two people already dating or married. With Avatars being so common nowadays it`s not likely to happen, but I feel you could get a nice variety of interactions out of such a pair.

Hopefully Genealogy remake would have you covered there. Aside from that one game (with just two examples), Pent and Louise are the only other example I can think of in the entire series. So it's not like this was ever that much of a thing. They gave his Alois at least in Three Houses who has a wife off screen. So more of that would be fun too.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Hopefully Genealogy remake would have you covered there. Aside from that one game (with just two examples), Pent and Louise are the only other example I can think of in the entire series. So it's not like this was ever that much of a thing. They gave his Alois at least in Three Houses who has a wife off screen. So more of that would be fun too.

Geneology does have Quan and Ehlyn, and while he isn`t playable, Eldigan is also married when he is fought. I would love to see a Geneology remake expand on the relationships with some fluff dialouge added here or there. Mourning qoutes would also be sweet.

1 hour ago, Metal Flash said:

I could see this one happening. I don't think avatars should be able to romance everyone, and we did get some married characters in Three Houses even if we never saw their spouses.