Any Series you got into because of Smash?

ZeManaphy

I imagine a lot of us have been exposed to tons of different franchises thanks to Smash. So I was wondering... What series have you gotten into Smash? Personally, Corrin's introduction into Smash got me interested into FE, alongside Pheonix Master1's play through of Fates, encouraged me to get the game and try it out. Loved the game, and been Fire Emblem Fan since. A similar story happened for me and Hero. The Luminary's inclusion in Smash encouraged me to try Dragon Quest 11S for the first time, and I loved the game. How about you guys? 

Edited by ZeManaphy

Fire Emblem, actually. I saw characters like Chrom and Lucina in Ultimate and saw that they were from a 3DS game called Fire Emblem: Awakening. With the magic of homebrew, I tried the game, loved it, and replayed it twice through back-to-back. I've been an FE fan ever since.

Fire Emblem: the typical story. I saw Marth and Roy in Smash Bros. Melee, looked at their trophies and was like, "Fire Emblem? What's that? Why does it say 'Japan Only' in brackets?" And that eventually led to my family getting Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. 

I think Kid Icarus is technically the only one that is solely because of Smash. Fire Emblem only half counts, because I'd had some interest in it before Smash, I just didn't actually start playing it until after Smash further convinced me.

I never did finish Kid Icarus: Uprising though. I ought to some day. I really like Dark Pit.

My fire emblem story involves my brother being the one to try it thanks to Corrin in Smash, hating it, and me being curious about it and stealing the game from him. So in a way, Smash got me into FE.

I suppose I could also say Xenoblade, because Smash put it on the map for me, but I got into it with Xenoblade 2, because I’d heard good things about the franchise and FE had given me an RPG itch. So idk how much you’d count that as Smash driving me to try it.

Edited by Anathaco

Anything not Mario or Pokemon I played after the first smash bros. The trophies in Melee served as quite the buying guide in a pre-high speed internet age. And Nintendo Power of course. That's what clued me in to the release of Fire Emblem games as they came out. From Brawl onward, I can only think of Kid Icarus. Hearing from somewhere on the internet, probably an iwata asks interview, that Sakurai directed the new game, and I just had to see. Nowadays a character gets into smash and I already have an informed, trash opinion on them. Joker? Morgana would have been funnier. Terry? I'm surprised SNK didn't just offer a pachinko machine as a fighter. New ARMS character? I'm holding out for Helix.

Edited by Glennstavos

I do recall to remember one of the series that I got into due to playing Super Smash Bros. series. I think there are some series I got into after the fighter joined in Super Smash Bros. series were:

• Fire Emblem
  • Metroid
  • Kid Icarus
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Kirby
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter
  • Final Fantasy
  • Castlevania 
  • Metal Gear
  • Mega Man
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
Edited by King Marth 64

Fire Emblem although it was because of Marth and Brawl specifically. Around the time I was getting my 3DS I pretty much had a choice of getting a plain 3DS and 3 games for a little bit less or get the Awakening model with 3 games and Awakening pre-loaded for a bit more and after what felt like hours of just staring at "Marth" on the cover art, my brain clicked that I could finally get some insight into what the series was about.

It was a tiny bit touch and go at first because my mind was all over the place for a while until I calmed my mind and went back to it. After that, chapters 9 and 13 sold me on the rest of the game and I've not looked back since.

For me it'd be Kid Icarus.

Ever since Brawl, I considered myself a Pit main (although I'm arguably a better Corrin player). I got interested in trying out the franchise and wanted to start out with Uprising but It was too expensive and couldn't locate it anywhere. So through the power of emulation I played Kid Icarus on the NES. Even though I can't make it past the third level.

Street fighter as well but that's indirectly.

I didn't grow up with Nintendo, so when I got Brawl (my first Smash) I wasn't actually very familiar with a lot of the franchises on there, including Fire Emblem. I didn't really decide to give Fire Emblem a shot until after Robin and Lucina's trailer for Smash 4 and all my friends saying Awakening was good, though. I ended up playing FE7 first because I couldn't buy Awakening so soon.

Just about every Nintendo series (besides Pokemon and Xenoblade) I got into was because they had a playable character in Smash Bros. So Smash introduced me to Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Earthbond and Fire Emblem (funny enough because of Corrin since I was curious about what the noise was all about at the time).

Edited by NSSKG151

Of all franchises, Castlevania is easily my favorite franchise to be introduced to me through Simon and Richter's inclusion. I'll give an honorable mention to Xenoblade, too, even though I got into it through Chuggaconroy's Let's Play of it, but Shulk was revealed for Smash 4 during that LP's production, so that's kinda like a double whammy.

The most original answer of all time... fe! I saw toms of characters in there so I was wondering what made the series that good to be up their with Mario for most represented.

Smash is actually not what got me into Fire Emblem, as I never had 64 or Melee and due to not yet being allowed to surf the internet at the time, I knew nothing of the series reps besides Mario and Kirby. One day in the mid 2000's we bought a couple GBA games. We got FE7 (and later FE8) and around the time Brawl was coming out, I was able to use the internet so I learned about FE's history and watched some footage of the older games. I then watched some vids of the Zephiel battle in FE6 (both normal and w/hacks), recognized Roy from reading up on Melee's roster, then it clicking for me when I saw young Roy during a second viewing of FE7's epilogue. I became an Emblemier that day.

Ok, so that was a bit inverted. What did I actually get into through Smash? Well, with Brawl being the first Smash I owned, we got Metal Gear Solid on PS1, and 2 through 4 later on (even got the special versions of 2 and 3, the latter containing the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 from the MSX).

But the most interesting thing is the other series Smash introduced me to: Before and during Brawl's hayday, I had also stumbled upon Super Smash Flash over on Newgrounds, and when I played it with my younger sister, we both rather enjoyed using Lloyd. After looking up his origin, me and especially my younger sis' took a notable interest in the Tales of series (she even watched the Symphonia OVA, and probably the others). Several years later I got my sis the PS3 remaster Tales of Symphonia Chronicles for her birthday so we could finally play Lloyd's game together, and though the only other one we've played since is Xillia 1, I think it's safe to play we've both become fans of the series. This is also why Lloyd is my main want for Fighters Pass 2. Still no return of his mii costume as of yet...

I wonder if anyone else was introduced to a series through Super Smash Flash 1 and 2...

Actually there's a lot of series I played thanks to Smash.

First is Fire Emblem, I discovered with SSBM. Then I think Robin from SSB3DS really got me into Smash, I wanted to try to main him, and that's how I was really introduced to Fire Emblem. 

Second is Xenoblade Chronicles. Much regrets to not have discover this awesome game before. When I was on SSB3DS with seeing a lot of Shulks online I wanted to try to main him also, and then I was curious to know more about Shulk, then I just tried the game some monthes after and I don't regret it.

There's also Final Fantasy, I knew about this serie before, but with Cloud on Smash, that's a game I really want to try (at least FF7). But I don't have any PS, so I still don't have played it yet, but now Cloud IS and will still be my best main. Also yeah, thanks to Cloud I found my pseudo.

And I'm not gonna forget that Smash introduce me to Mother/Earthbound. I only have played Mother 3 and Earthbound, (not the 1 yet), but as long as Lucas was my first main, I had to try his game. And my it's so sad.... Anyway those two are good games really!

Also, it introduced me a bit to Persona serie. I never have played any of these but I would if I also have a PS. 

Edited by FireFenrir

I’m just gonna do something strange and actually say the inverse. I got smash ultimate because the first dlc fighter was Joker or rather the announcement is what soldified my purchase as I was at the midnight release when I learned the news. Other than that the only series smash has made me get into was kid icarus. The 3ds game specifically which I still haven’t finished