Design a better spell list for Byleth

Jotari

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byleth has STR, the weight on Nosferatu doesn't affect him. You use your brave sword, combat arts or a gambit in player phase obviously. Of course you need to stay in Enlightened one for the rounded stats, not gremory. The point is to be able to bait things nobody else can, when it is necessary to do so and not to be a punching bag. Unlike other mages, Byleth will not be helpless against Tomebreakers because they can use melee weapons too.

I wonder if you have actually tried these things or are just talking from a metagaming perspective while looking at the wiki. I'm just suprised because I remember faith/swords Byleth working pretty well for me, while playing the game in ng maddening without metagaming.

Edited by SRPG Tryhard

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

IMO any "Avoid+20" can be good, but for Faith, it's hurt especially by the lack of low-weight offensive light magic (which is... ironic, really). That no class combines White Tomefaire with Uses x2 hurts as well. I tried to use Bishop -> Gremory Byleth my last playthrough, and she was never especially dodgy. Holy Knight isn't especially bad in a vacuum (horse plus spells), it's just generally outclassed by Dark Knight.

Outclassed by Dark Knight, Bishop and Gremory, you mean. I see no compelling reason to go for Holy Knight over any of those classes, as anyone who could be good as one would be better in one of the other three.

1 hour ago, SRPG Tryhard said:

Byleth has STR, the weight on Nosferatu doesn't affect him. You use your brave sword, combat arts or a gambit in player phase obviously. Of course you need to stay in Enlightened one for the rounded stats, not gremory. The point is to be able to bait things nobody else can, when it is necessary to do so and not to be a punching bag. Unlike other mages, Byleth will not be helpless against Tomebreakers because they can use melee weapons too.

I wonder if you have actually tried these things or are just talking from a metagaming perspective while looking at the wiki. I'm just suprised because I remember faith/swords Byleth working pretty well for me, while playing the game in ng maddening without metagaming.

Who was this directed at? Anyway, you need 40 strength to negate the weight of Nosferatu. I don't see that happening until endgame, if at all. And I say again, I can do better than using White Magic Avo +20 when it requires me to devote another ability slot to an ability that is of questionable use for it to work, and even then, if you run out of Nosferatu... you're screwed unless you equip Heal or Recover, which means Byleth is now a sitting duck. Whoopee.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, SRPG Tryhard said:

How are you expected to use Brave Swords and Combat Arts on player phase and still nos tank on enemy phase? You can't trade equip Nosferateau. A gambit should work, but you're only doing that two or three times a chapter.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Outclassed by Dark Knight, Bishop and Gremory, you mean. I see no compelling reason to go for Holy Knight over any of those classes, as anyone who could be good as one would be better in one of the other three.

Mobility is always a good thing, though. Compared to Gremory, the Holy Knight has 2 extra movement range - plus Canto. This means 2 more range for offensive and support spells alike (with the caveat that Gremory's higher magic can compensate for the disparity with spells whose range are magic-dependent - Physic and Warp, for instance). It means being able to take an action somewhere, and then be able to Canto away to safety. Finally, Holy Knight does the most possible damage with offensive White magic - in this regard, it surpasses even Dark Knight. If that's what you're going for, for whatever reason (say you want Lysithea to have a stronger Seraphim on monster-heavy maps), this class makes sense to use.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Mobility is always a good thing, though. Compared to Gremory, the Holy Knight has 2 extra movement range - plus Canto. This means 2 more range for offensive and support spells alike (with the caveat that Gremory's higher magic can compensate for the disparity with spells whose range are magic-dependent - Physic and Warp, for instance). It means being able to take an action somewhere, and then be able to Canto away to safety. Finally, Holy Knight does the most possible damage with offensive White magic - in this regard, it surpasses even Dark Knight. If that's what you're going for, for whatever reason (say you want Lysithea to have a stronger Seraphim on monster-heavy maps), this class makes sense to use.

Problem is, I already consider Dark Knight arguably not worth it, so what chance does Holy Knight have of seeing use?? Especially since offensive white magic spells coming from a Holy Knight are a grand total of - drumroll please - 1 point stronger than if they were used by a Gremory. Yay? Being mounted only helps so much, and in this case it doesn't make up for the fact that it's just inferior to the other three classes.