Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

Perkilator

I don't like that they're making 3D All Stars a limited time thing. "Act now or lose your chance forever!" is one of the oldest grifts in the book, and is pushing me from probably getting it to probably skipping it.

Of the other stuff they showed off, the Mario battle royale is the one that caught my eye the most. I'm probably going to play it, be terrible at it, but have fun with it anyway. I also kinda want the Game and Watch, for nostalgia reasons, but really don't think I can justify spending the money on it.

I'm still a little concerned we haven't seen any big new titles but I see a lot to like. I've always really appreciated Sunshine and a chance to revisit it is much appreciated. Playing New Super Mario 3d world in co-op was always a blast so I'll be glad to return to it. And if Bowser's Fury is about playing as kitty Bowser then things could get really great. 

Disappointed by the complete erasure of Super Mario Galaxy 2 (best 3D platformer of all time imo) in this Direct but the collection is still hype. I've already pre-ordered it digitally.

3D World port is also very nice but i'll wait for a sale on that (or get it for $10 cheaper at Walmart, making it the first game since Ultimate that i buy physically).

I ordered 2 copies. One for myself, one for my brother. That stupid limited quantity and limited duration pushed me on that one.

I wish they had put more into touching up 64 graphically, but I'm fine with it. Also, the lack of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is strange and makes me wonder if they have other plans for it (caugh, release it for free with Odyssey 2, caugh).

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

This was cool, though it's a bit weird to make it that a lot of this stuff is only available for a limited time. 

I'm most looking forward to that bundle of 3D Mario games. I never owned the original Mario 64, and while I did play Sunshine and Galaxy, I never actually finished them. I probably won't get the re-release of 3D World, because I've already played through and completed pretty much all of it; I just have yet to complete Champion's Road.

By the way, does this mean that the Legend of Zelda anniversary will have a Zelda Battle Royale? I wonder what that would look like. 

Edited by vanguard333

Super Mario All Stars on Switch Online is awesome. I grew up with the GB version of 1, the NES version of 3, and the GBA version of 2, so the SNES versions have always eluded me.

3D All Stars is not awesome though. Sunshine and Galaxy were my first speedgames. They're fun, but over 50% of their runtime is loading in and out of levels and watching unskippable things, so I've always been interested in a remaster. I wouldn't have expected more than an HD port (which these are. Heck, Mario 64 doesn't even have widescreen resolutions), but the limited time availability feels stifling for any speedrunning community. Act now or you won't have the fastest version of the game. Fastest only because of superior load times. And a lot of us wanted more than that anyway. Sunshine badly needs skippable cutscenes. And I doubt the joy con pointer controls will compare to the Wiimote's for Galaxy.

Galaxy 2's omission is also pretty bull. As is the competitive mario game being taken off the servers in March. The greed of this Direct made it pretty disappointing, even if I didn't anticipate the rumors to be true. It bodes very poorly for games preservation when digital remasters of games have such limited availability.

No real opinion on 3D world. The Direct did not mention online co op but the website does which is a big deal. We have no real idea what the new campaign is. I just checked and the 20 dollar version of 3D world is still live on the Wii U eshop. We'll see how long that lasts. 

Yeah, I think we can all agree that the limited release is complete bull.

That being said, I'm surprised that there's no collaboration between Super Mario and Dragalia Lost. The latter of which ALSO has its anniversary this month.

I'm tempted to buy the 3d all-stars, but i have played and beaten all of those. So i don't know if i actually will. Maybe if they had included SMG2 that would get me to buy it but otherwise... eh.

Super mario 3d world though looks super fun and I am probably getting that one.

Ports. Meh. I still have Sunshine, I'm not interested in playing 64 again, and I never liked Galaxy. Bowser's Fury probably won't be enough for me to feel like re-buying 3D World (which I enjoyed, but didn't love) and Mario Kart Live Home Circuit will probably get old fast.

I guess Nintendo finally announced something of their own, but I'm glad I wasn't woken up for it.

5 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

The only part of this that disappoints me is the lack of Galaxy 2.

This. All those Mario games available on the Switch now and Galaxy 2, my favorite one besides Odyssey, isn't one of them. Absolute huge disappointment. I might have bought that 3D All-Stars collection despite the blatant lie that the graphics are HD if Galaxy 2 was there.

Yes, I think the HD claim is a lie. The graphics look no different from before, unlike with the HD Zelda titles. Granted, there's not a huge difference with those Zelda games either, but there was still some improvement.

Also, nothing here really interests me in general. The idea behind that Mario Kart game is nice, but I don't know where in my house I'd really play it, so...

I sure hope Zelda's 35th next year is much better (SKYWARD SWORD HD PLEASE).

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, I think the HD claim is a lie. The graphics look no different from before, unlike with the HD Zelda titles.

HD doesn't mean that the textures will be updated. Nintendo did not present this as a remake (as with Wind Waker HD), but as upscaled ports of past games. There is nothing dishonest about it. Whether or not you purchase it is your prerogative, of course.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

HD doesn't mean that the textures will be updated. Nintendo did not present this as a remake (as with Wind Waker HD), but as upscaled ports of past games. There is nothing dishonest about it. Whether or not you purchase it is your prerogative, of course.

In this case it does. Because like I said, they called the Zelda remakes HD and they did get actual graphical updates. Why would they call this HD and not do the same? Both are from Nintendo, you know.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why would they call this HD and not do the same? Both are from Nintendo, you know.

I am well aware, and I would have preferred actual remakes with updated textures myself, tbh.

However, the Zelda releases were in fact marketed as remakes, but the Mario announcement never once described them as remakes, instead as "optimized" and having "higher resolutions."

Edited by twilitfalchion

The thing is though they might have wanted to have updated textures but it would've personally insulted all the nostalgia people and there would be a lot of backlash. Thanks nostalgia jerks.

1 minute ago, Emmy said:

The thing is though they might have wanted to have updated textures but it would've personally insulted all the nostalgia people and there would be a lot of backlash. Thanks nostalgia jerks.

I'd say it's more Nintendo wanting to cash in on nostalgia while giving as little effort as possible. It's not like Ninty tends to work in the consumer's favor, after all.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

I'd say it's more Nintendo wanting to cash in on nostalgia while giving as little effort as possible. It's not like Ninty tends to work in the consumer's favor, after all.

Sometimes i guess? But yeah i do agree with them. It's a Win/Win for them.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I am well aware, and I would have preferred actual remakes with updated textures myself, tbh.

However, the Zelda releases were in fact marketed as remakes, but the Mario announcement never once described them as remakes, instead as "optimized" and having "higher resolutions."

I suppose that's true.

But I still think it's lazy and boring. They spiced up the graphics for Zelda, so why not for Mario too? It's not cool imo.

However, that's really just a nitpick, I'm way more mad that SMG2 is not there at all. It's the only big 3D Mario game not being ported, in fact, since 3D World is coming as well. So unfair.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But I still think it's lazy and boring. They spiced up the graphics for Zelda, so why not for Mario too? It's not cool imo.

Oh, I completely agree. 64 especially would have benefited from a complete overhaul considering how poorly the game has aged graphically.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

However, that's really just a nitpick, I'm way more mad that SMG2 is not there at all. It's the only big 3D Mario game not being ported, in fact, since 3D World is coming as well. So unfair.

I'm guessing it will likely be a DLC release for an extra cost knowing Nintendo. Unless they ignore it altogether, which would surprise me, ngl. It's one of the most popular 3D Mario games. It would be ridiculous to ignore something so profitable.

Edited by twilitfalchion

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Oh, I completely agree. 64 especially would have benefited from a complete overhaul considering how poorly the game has aged graphically.

I'm guessing it will likely be a DLC release for an extra cost knowing Nintendo. Unless they ignore it altogether, which would surprise me, ngl. It's one of the most popular 3D Mario games. It would be ridiculous to ignore something so profitable.

Yeah, and both 64 and Sunshine probably could use a few tweaks here and there in general too. I found 64 to be really hard, I didn't get far at all. And I quit Sunshine as well because I just had no idea what to do at all most of the time and I don't really like when games just throw you into and overworld and say have at it. I'm not saying I want my hand held or anything, but I'd like a few hints here and there. I can't just magically know what to do when I start playing.

As for that DLC idea, maybe, even if it does sound kind of scummy. Maybe it was planned to be part of this, but Nintendo couldn't make it happen because of the pandemic causing problems? Who knows.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Super Mario All Stars on Switch Online is awesome. I grew up with the GB version of 1, the NES version of 3, and the GBA version of 2, so the SNES versions have always eluded me.

I'm looking forward to your write-up about All Stars. I grew up with this versions of SMB123 and never understood the complaints about it unitil I fired it up today. Physics and hitboxes are different to the point where having muscle-memorized the original Super Mario Bros. feels like a disadvantage now. I'll definitely do a re-run of SMB2. Last time I replayed it was on 3DS Virtual Console and I was surprised how short it is. 

Regarding the omission of Galaxy 2, there's another game Nintendo completely forgot about: Super Mario 3D Land! Not included in All-Stars 3D, not a bonus in the 3D World port. Why? Ninty probably has some bs excuse like "but it's hard without stereoscopic 3D" even though the 2DS exists. There really should be two All-Stars collections. One home console and one handheld AS. Rope in the first Wario Land and you have a very sweet "Land Collection" to sell for another 60€...

On another note I'm curious how much of a game this Mario Kart Live thing is gonna be. Is it more of a Labo thing, so more of a tech demo or a full-fledged game like Ring Fit? If the latter I'm in. 

Edited by know_naim