Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

Perkilator

Wonderful overall. Really looking forward to 3D All Stars, since I never played those games on their original console. My only complaint is that they went to Super Mario 64 over 64 DS, since that one featured Yoshi, Wario, and Luigi as playable characters. 

Looking forward to 3D World + as well. Never finished the original 3D world, so this will be a chance to do so.

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I suppose that's true.

But I still think it's lazy and boring. They spiced up the graphics for Zelda, so why not for Mario too? It's not cool imo.

I suppose for people that like nostalgia or speedrunning. SM64 wouldn't be the same to speed run if they updated it, all of the abusable glitches would be gone!

21 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

It still amazes me how everyone is getting so excited over three ports and a deluxe edition. 🤷‍♂️ I guess it just goes to show how popular Mario is. 😅

Well you could be like me and have never played any of these 3D Marios (except for a bit of 64), of course I’m excited!

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I suppose for people that like nostalgia or speedrunning. SM64 wouldn't be the same to speed run if they updated it, all of the abusable glitches would be gone!

I will be surprised if the version of SM64 has all the same glitches as the original. I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the BLJ glitch was patched out of the Japanese Shindou version as far back as 1997, and I doubt they're going to add it back. The audio in the Bowser fight also has Mario saying "buh-bye" like he does in the Shindou version rather than "so long, Bowser" as he does in the international version, which definitely makes me think that's the version the port is based on. And I've never seen any evidence that Nintendo cares even a little bit about catering to speedrunners.

18 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I will be surprised if the version of SM64 has all the same glitches as the original. I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the BLJ glitch was patched out of the Japanese Shindou version as far back as 1997, and I doubt they're going to add it back. The audio in the Bowser fight also has Mario saying "buh-bye" like he does in the Shindou version rather than "so long, Bowser" as he does in the international version, which definitely makes me think that's the version the port is based on. And I've never seen any evidence that Nintendo cares even a little bit about catering to speedrunners.

If it's an N64 game, it probably has some wall you can walk through!

Well, technically older Metroid games are designed around speedrunning, so that's not totally true.

19 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Aside of Super Mario 64 which I know and played, are the other two recommendable for someone who isn't familar with 3D platformers at all nowadays?

To be more precise are they beginnerfriendly?

Galaxy is a great game and very beginner friendly. One of the easiest 3D Mario games to get into.

While Sunshine is also great, it isn’t quite as beginner friendly. Sunshine is structured more like 64 as a sandbox Mario game, so if you liked 64 you’ll probably like Sunshine. It’s got some design and control issues, but is still a relatively easy game to get into overall.

Edited by twilitfalchion

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Galaxy is a great game and very beginner friendly. One of the easiest 3D Mario games to get into.

I second this, and it'll be even better without the Wii controls!

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

They could specifically choose to preserve them, I remember OoT 3d did

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

While Sunshine is also great, it isn’t quite as beginner friendly. Sunshine is structured more like 64 as a sandbox Mario game, so if you liked 64 you’ll probably like Sunshine. It’s got some design and control issues, but is still a relatively easy game to get into overall.

Sounds good to me then.

I found Super Mario 64 not too bad, but then again, it has been more than 20 years ago when I played this.

Didn't really see anything interesting in the Mario Direct. Mostly just looked like ports of older games I already own or things that are only going to be around for a limited time. Looks like I will still be waiting for another 2 or 3 years before they make an actual Mario Kart 9 since that is pretty much the only Mario related thing I'm looking forward to these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about it, I don't mind that they just want to take it easy and just have everything be overpriced ports but I really wish one of those ports would have been mario 64 ds. It is imo superior to the original but even so i never finished it because of its garbage controls and would've been happy to have it on switch even if better controls was the only improvement they made to it

I probably won't be getting 3D All-Stars. I currently have Sunshine, Galaxy, and 64 DS. So buying the ported versions would be redundant for me.

One I'm starting to consider more is 3D World, as I don't have that game already. And the Bowser's Fury mode sounds like a nice bonus incentive.

I've already played some of 2D All-Stars on the SNES Virtual Console. It's a'ight, but I dunno if I'll spend especially long on it.

It's not even ported. The game has leaked and its confirmed that the games are just being straight up emulated on the switch.

So even worse than just port because it won't be optimized for running natively on the switch.

Although this does open up the idea for n64, gcn, and wii emulation. Both officially and unofficially. Definitely wouldn't mind a future virtual console (or more likely a nso subscription service like with nes/snes) for gamecube games

I'll probably get 3D All-Stars. I just hope that there are plenty of options when it comes to the controls for Galaxy:

I mainly play Switch games by having the Switch docked and the joy-cons slotted into the grip. I can understand using the Joy-Con gyro for things that used the Wii gyro in Galaxy, such as the manta rays and the ball, but I didn't like using the gyro and I hope there'll be the option to use the right control stick instead.

Also, how are things that used the Wii pointer going to work? The gyro can easily end up out of alignment, and using a control stick instead won't be as quick as the pointer was. 

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I mainly play Switch games by having the Switch docked and the joy-cons slotted into the grip. I can understand using the Joy-Con gyro for things that used the Wii gyro in Galaxy, such as the manta rays and the ball, but I didn't like using the gyro and I hope there'll be the option to use the right control stick instead.

Also, how are things that used the Wii pointer going to work? The gyro can easily end up out of alignment, and using a control stick instead won't be as quick as the pointer was. 

No right control stick functionality sadly. Only gyroscope when switch is docked or touchscreen if it's on handheld mode. There's three controller "options" The first is the regular hold a joy con on each hand using the right one to point or shake, second is handheld where you use the touchscreen instead of gyroscope, and lastly there's the single joy con controls that's only available if playing with co-star mode.

And yeah gyroscope is wonky but it added a reset pointer button so it's not too bad if it gets misaligned since you can easily center it again with R (or by clicking in the analog sticks if playing with only one joy con) and i imagine any hypothetical future wii games will have that added as well.

10 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

No right control stick functionality sadly. Only gyroscope when switch is docked or touchscreen if it's on handheld mode. There's three controller "options" The first is the regular hold a joy con on each hand using the right one to point or shake, second is handheld where you use the touchscreen instead of gyroscope, and lastly there's the single joy con controls that's only available if playing with co-star mode.

And yeah gyroscope is wonky but it added a reset pointer button so it's not too bad if it gets misaligned since you can easily center it again with R (or by clicking in the analog sticks if playing with only one joy con) and i imagine any hypothetical future wii games will have that added as well.

Wait; do I have to hold the joy-cons separately, or can I slot them into the grip?

45 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Wait; do I have to hold the joy-cons separately, or can I slot them into the grip?

Oh, you can use the grip. I can't imagine having to use the gyroscope like that for the whole game but nothing stops you from playing like that

Edited by NegativeExponents-

If their goal was to have the games as faithful as possible to the original experience, then emulation was the right call. You can still add new textures and audio very easily into a ROM. What hackers always did is tell the ROM to play or display the new thing whenever the old thing would be there. Hence why you have basic things like "Press +" where "Press Start" usually goes. Porting the game to run on the Switch's actual hardware would allow for the possibility of new content additions or modes of play that the games weren't built for, but it's clear this project didn't have a budget like that to begin with. I like to think some novice ROM hacker got a job working on these games at Nintendo.

I guess this news is good news for me because I can safely ignore these versions of the game and not get baited by the limited availability. Some people say the very existence of emulation for n64/gcn/wii on Switch increases the odds we'll see NSO apps for those systems. I'm not surprised at all that Nintendo has working emulation for their current hardware, but the limited digital availability does change things. The NES classic and SNES classic are examples of Nintendo offering something in a limited package before offering a similar collection on NSO. Obviously they can't justify selling these games at a higher price point than NSO. I wouldn't call this evidence of N64 NSO so much as I'd call it Nintendo leaving their options open.

Edit: Oh wow whaddya know, the same morning:

The source code for the N64 emulator they're using already has references to other games

Edited by Glennstavos