Zelda 35th Anniversary - Speculation/Discussion

Anacybele

So, since we've gotten Mario 35th anniversary stuff, we can also talk about something else. Nintendo's second biggest franchise, Zelda, has its own 35th next year!

I'm really looking forward to it since Zelda is my favorite series after FE. I hope it's much better than what Mario's gotten honestly. Mario mostly just got ports and the ports don't even include my actual favorite Mario game (besides Odyssey), Super Mario Galaxy 2. The new Mario Kart game is a creative idea, but I can't see myself playing it, at least not anytime soon at all.

Zelda could do much better than just ports and all, especially since it hasn't been all that long since TWW and TP got HD versions. And in addition, OoT and MM got 3D remakes on the 3DS too. Here's what I'd do.

- First, Skyward Sword HD. I'm not even just saying this because it happens to be my favorite Zelda either. Skyward Sword was the 25th anniversary game, with a reference to that milestone occurring right at the start of the game, even. So what better way to start things off than have this game celebrate the anniversary again? It's also the only pre-BotW 3D Zelda not to be remade so far and it's ten years old at this point. So it's celebrating both Zelda's 35th and its own 10th anniversary!

- In a collection akin to what Mario got, I'd put OoT 3D and MM 3D in a Switch bundle as well as TP HD and TWW HD in a second Switch bundle. Or better yet, all four in one bundle, though I wonder if that'd even be possible. Whatever the case, all four ought to be in a collection, they're too popular and iconic.

- Hyrule Warriors 2 is another idea! Featuring the champions from BotW and other new characters.

- The biggest announcement, a full remake of the original Legend of Zelda using the art style the LA remake has. I'm not a fan of the art style at all, but I did enjoy the game and it would make sense given that the original LA kinda used a similar style to the original LoZ as well.

- Big BotW 2 trailer that would also announce some DLC, possibly free, that celebrates the anniversary too.

- Zelda content would be added to Animal Crossing like Mario content is. A Splatfest for Splatoon 2 can happen as well, however that would work.

- Of course, we need merch too! This ought to include reruns of Zelda Amiibo, in particular the Skyward Sword Link one which would have use in Skyward Sword HD. I don't see any new Amiibo coming, since I'm not sure what new Amiibo could be added.

And there are more possible things too! A classic collection including LoZ, Zelda II, and ALttP perhaps? A new addition to Four Sword Zelda? Maybe even a Zelda newcomer for Smash Ultimate! Zelda's 35th has a LOT of potential!

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The biggest announcement, a full remake of the original Legend of Zelda using the art style the LA remake has. I'm not a fan of the art style at all, but I did enjoy the game and it would make sense given that the original LA kinda used a similar style to the original LoZ as well.

Isn’t breath of the wild just kinda a 3D version of the original famicom game? I mean it’s not an exact remake but it takes heavy heavy inspiration from it to the point of marketing material being just redrawings of art made for the original game. Hell botw was even tested in the 2D nes style while in production so while botw is as good a remake as any.

Just now, Ottservia said:

Isn’t breath of the wild just kinda a 3D version of the original famicom game? I mean it’s not an exact remake but it takes heavy heavy inspiration from it to the point of marketing material being just redrawings of art made for the original game. Hell botw was even tested in the 2D nes style while in production so while botw is as good a remake as any.

Uh, no... It just happens to be very open world like the original was. It doesn't have the same dungeons or story or anything.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, no... It just happens to be very open world like the original was. It doesn't have the same dungeons or story or anything.

Like I said it may not be an exact 1:1 remake but it can certainly be seen as a reimagining of sorts. The developers have gone on record to say that the main inspiration for botw was the original legend of zelda on the NES and again the original prototype was made in the NES style. 

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Like I said it may not be an exact 1:1 remake but it can certainly be seen as a reimagining of sorts. The developers have gone on record to say that the main inspiration for botw was the original legend of zelda on the NES and again the original prototype was made in the NES style. 

Yeah, and lots of other games take inspiration from other stuff too. Doesn't mean they're remakes of that stuff.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and lots of other games take inspiration from other stuff too. Doesn't mean they're remakes of that stuff.

Never said it was an exact 1:1 recreation just that botw is more or less a reimagining of the NES classic so a remake at this point feels a little moot or at least right now. Though I can definitely see it happening in the near future 

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Never said it was an exact 1:1 recreation just that botw is more or less a reimagining of the NES classic so a remake at this point feels a little moot or at least right now. Though I can definitely see it happening in the near future 

Well, I will admit I don't think it's one of the most likely things that will happen. Just that it's a possibility and that if it did happen, it'd be a big announcement because it's the first Zelda getting this treatment.

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

In a collection akin to what Mario got, I'd put OoT 3D and MM 3D in a Switch bundle as well as TP HD and TWW HD in a second Switch bundle. Or better yet, all four in one bundle, though I wonder if that'd even be possible. Whatever the case, all four ought to be in a collection, they're too popular and iconic.

I really agree with this, especially if they throw in Twilight princess too-The Wii version was a bit too unsaturated IMO.

Aside from best game evah being remade, I also wanna see Minish Cap-It had a lot of neat things and I'd definitely want to play it again in a modern version.

Also, what would people think of a fully voice-acted Zelda game? I'd actually kinda like that. They just need to bring back Link, Zelda and Morshu's VAs for it.

For the possible The Legend of Zelda 35th Anniversary Direct. I do like to see if they can make a The Legend of Zelda All-Stars Collection that has all NES games, A Link to the Past, and other games maybe have a graphically enhanced and updated similar to like how Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES gotten handled. But, I do know there was technically a The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition on the Nintendo GameCube already that has the original NES games and N64 games compiled in original format. But, I do like to see if Nintendo makes a The Legend of Zelda Maker officially made since The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake gotten editable dungeons made.

Edited by King Marth 64

If I were in charge, CD-I zelda would join Switch online. Completion of all three games reveals a new trailer for Breath of the Wild 2, kind of like how the first person to beat PT was the lucky source of the announcement for Silent Hills. Social media gold.

meanwhile I sit in the sad Metroid corner, it's our 35th next year too but you bet nobody will give a crap

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Also, what would people think of a fully voice-acted Zelda game? I'd actually kinda like that. They just need to bring back Link, Zelda and Morshu's VAs for it.

Eeeeenhhh, I feel like it would kind of kill the Zelda experience for me, I got turned off on BoTW for the same reason. I'm sure other people would like it, but...eh.

I don't think this would really happen, but, much like how they made an anniversary port of the original Four Swords game, I think it would be cool to see a "Four Swords Bundle": Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, and Minish Cap. 

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

A new addition to Four Sword Zelda?

I would love for a new addition to Four Sword Zelda. What I would love to see in such a game:

1. Full 3D: imagine controlling four Links at once in a fully 3D environment; I think it would not only be achievable, but would have a ton of potential.

2. Formations are brought back and expanded upon. 

3. An overworld instead of a level-select. 

Now, if the game were made for the anniversary this year, I doubt it would have all this, but I would love to see a Four Swords game that did this. 

Edited by vanguard333

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't think this would really happen, but, much like how they made an anniversary port of the original Four Swords game, I think it would be cool to see a "Four Swords Bundle": Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, and Minish Cap. 

This would be nice, yeah!

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I would love for a new addition to Four Sword Zelda. What I would love to see in such a game:

1. Full 3D: imagine controlling four Links at once in a fully 3D environment; I think it would not only be achievable, but would have a ton of potential.

2. Formations are brought back and expanded upon. 

3. An overworld instead of a level-select. 

Oh man, I've desired a new Four Sword Zelda game for a long time. But given that Capcom kinda owned a lot of that stuff, I imagine it'd be difficult, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

This would be nice, yeah!

Oh man, I've desired a new Four Sword Zelda game for a long time. But given that Capcom kinda owned a lot of that stuff, I imagine it'd be difficult, unfortunately.

Thanks. 

I don't think it would be too difficult; Four Swords Adventures was made without Capcom as far as I can tell. 

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

It's also the only pre-BotW 3D Zelda not to be remade so far

Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD were remasters, not remakes, and A Link Between Worlds hasn't been remade yet. ALso OoT3D and MM3D are ports, not remakes.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

11 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD were remasters, not remakes, and A Link Between Worlds hasn't been remade yet. ALso OoT3D and MM3D are ports, not remakes.

They are all remakes. They got graphical updates and some additions/changes to the gameplay. So they are not ports. OoT 3D and MM 3D are more remakes than TP and TWW, honestly. The graphical update they got is way bigger, and then they have very different interfaces from the originals too.

And I should have said home console 3D Zelda, sorry.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They got graphical updates

Have you not heard of games being remastered in HD?

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

and some additions/changes to the gameplay.

Incorporating a few quality of life changes does not consitute it being a remake. In fact, remasters do often change things based on player feedback.

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Still waiting on the actual more important 30th anniversary FE celebration. What, there was basically nothing? ... Okay....

What, you don't think Heroes gets child alts of Shadow Dragon characters and Cipher ending was enough for the 30th anniversary? But yeah, it would have been nice if FE got a little bit more but I guess IS was too busy making disappointing looking Paper Mario games instead to bother.

I doubt they'll make as big a deal of it as they have for Mario. Ports and remakes are already making up a big part of the Switch lineup this year, and leaning into that even more next year would probably not be popular. If they do too many anniversary events -- especially for weird numbers like 35 -- then they'll also risk people either getting sick and tired of anniversaries or demanding that their favourite series gets an event. I think there's a pretty good chance that BotW2 hits next year, and maybe a Skyward Sword port as well, but I'm not expecting much beyond that.

In terms of wild fantasies that are almost certainly not going to happen:

• A full remake of A Link to the Past, in the style of the Awakening remake.
  • A spiritual successor to The Adventure of Link. A new, modern Zelda game but with the side-on RPG-ish metroidvania-ish gameplay of TAoL.
  • "Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker are available to play now on Nintendo Switch Online, which now includes Nintendo 64 and Gamecube titles".

Unlikely due to covid-19, but I would love if they did another round of those Symphony of the Goddesses concerts next year.   

I'm also up for some multiplayer Zelda fun. Games like Four Swords or Triforce Heroes should be a constant of the franchise imo. A perfect Triforce: 3D-Zelda, 2D-Zelda and multi-Zelda. 

8 hours ago, lenticular said:

In terms of wild fantasies that are almost certainly not going to happen:

• A full remake of A Link to the Past, in the style of the Awakening remake.

Eh; a remake of A Link to the Past would be cool, but I think the style of Link's Reawakening worked because (spoilers for the main plot twist of Link's Awakening)

Spoiler

It fit the fact that the whole game apart from the opening and ending, which were done in a 2D anime style, took place inside a dream. The "Toy Link" style worked because it fit that it's all a dream. A Link to the Past is more of an epic, so it should probably have it's own art style that fits its setting. 

The thing about HW is that it is already pretty much everything it needs to be. Most of the notable Zelda cast is there. Most of those who aren't belong to the Capcom Zelda games and thus aren't going to be added even in a sequel (and the reason for this is that Koei Tecmo and Capcom hate eachother). You could maybe add the BotW champions, but that's about it.

I think there are some minor gameplay and quality of life improvements to be made. Namely, the map is a confusing, hard-to-read mess compared to FE Warriors. And some of the combos (especially characters like Midna and Fi) go on WAY too long for their own good.

But does that justify a sequel as opposed to dlc? I really don't know. And I don't think I want it when those same resources could be put towards giving FE fans the Warriors game they should have gotten with FEW, adding post game content to P5 Scramble, or creating an entirely new licensed spinoff.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I'd like to see the Oracles get remastered, with or without LA Switch's graphical style. I'd like to see more animated cutscenes, like when Link gets ready to fight bosses or whenever a new character is introduced. Both games had image stills that could totally be converted into cutscenes. Heck, the games' intros are cutscenes! The credit sequences are begging for the animated treatment as well. I'd release the two Oracles together as a compilation, without any need for link cables or passwords to transfer stuff between the two. If they can work Ganondorf's unused design in there too, that'd be cool. Maybe they could even add a third adventure that finally gives Farore a chance to shine? I'd also like to see a more expansive Dungeon Builder sidegame, maybe one that lets us toy around with individual assets rather than whole rooms? Basically, it'd be Oracle of Ages & Seasons + Zelda Maker.

A true Hyrule Warriors 2 would also be cool. The story could revolve around Koume and Kotake seeking a set of artifacts in which Ganon's Essence has been locked away. The artifacts have been scattered across different Eras and Worlds, which the witches access through the use of temples. The first of these artifacts Koume and Kotake find is the Pendant of Darkness within the Era of the Past, from which they release a part of Ganon's essence that manifests as Agahnim. Other artifacts include the Sword of Demise, the Trident of Power (which itself is split into multiple pieces), the Mask of Phantoms, and the Orb of Calamity. And yes, they each manifest as playable characters connected to Ganon in some way, as the Pendant does with Agahnim. The Twinrova recruit villains such as Onox, Veran, Yuga, and Chancellor Cole to aid them in their search (presumably, Ghirahim and Zant return as well since the story revisits the Eras of the Sky and Twilight). Vaati is invited to join the villainous ensemble, but he chooses to act independent of Ganon's followers and actually comes to blows with them several times. He may even go so far as to join forces with the heroes against their common enemies, to further his own agenda of course.

HW2's story doesn't directly involve any of the core characters from HW1 - Lana, Cia, Volga, Wizzro, or Linkle, nor that game's incarnations of Link, Zelda, or Impa - but the warriors original to that game can be unlocked in HW2. HW2 itself features new incarnations of Link, Zelda, and Impa, with revised weapon sets and fighting styles. The story this time features more secondary heroes such as Ralph, Linebeck, Groose, and Ravio, who seek out the different incarnations of Link and Zelda to warn them and enlist their aid. HW1 featured many of these incarnations as skins, but this time they appear as proper characters in their own right, though they still share the core Link and Zelda's roster slots and movesets. However, there are some new iterations of Link and Zelda to play as well akin to Toon Link and Toon Zelda; most notably, Origin Link and Origin Zelda. Yes, the Link and Zelda from the very first Zelda game, the one that started it all, though here they're older as their part takes place after Zelda II.