Zelda 35th Anniversary - Speculation/Discussion

Anacybele

On 9/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, Glennstavos said:

If I were in charge, CD-I zelda would join Switch online. Completion of all three games reveals a new trailer for Breath of the Wild 2, kind of like how the first person to beat PT was the lucky source of the announcement for Silent Hills. Social media gold.

I don't know if the idea of CD-I Zelda games were going to be part of the Switch Online would work since Phillips CD-I wasn't part of the Nintendo Console like NES Online and SNES Online? I would think it should be ported as a downloadable title from the Nintendo Switch eShop, but I really think Nintendo isn't going to bring the all the Nintendo themed CD-I games including Hotel Mario due to it was made by 100% third party company as well and they never did add those CD-I games to their Hyrule Historia Game Timeline record as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't the game I wanted from either Koei or Nintendo

But it sure is a game I'm happy to see! One problem of BOTW was that most interesting things in the story happen before the story. This mini prequel fixes that. The respective champions were always a charming bunch and these versions of Link and Zelda are among their best ones. The idea of spending more time with them is very welcome. 

One thing I am skeptical of is the villains. BOTW was always fairly weak in that regard. The only real humanoid villain was Khoga and he's nowhere strong enough to carry a game by himself. 

21 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One thing I am skeptical of is the villains. BOTW was always fairly weak in that regard. The only real humanoid villain was Khoga and he's nowhere strong enough to carry a game by himself. 

I can see them adding some original characters as villains, that will be defeated during the war.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

I can see them adding some original characters as villains, that were defeated during the war.

I sure hope that would be the case.

Villains aside I'm also curious on the playable characters aside from the main duo and the champion. Impa's a very safe bet and we also had that loli researcher who was around 100 years ago(she's implied to have shot the group picture too). The King is also a logical addition and we know for a fact that King Zora is no stranger to fighting. 

The main drawback of course is that best boy Sidon can't really be playable for this game. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Villains aside I'm also curious on the playable characters aside from the main duo and the champion. Impa's a very safe bet and we also had that loli researcher who was around 100 years ago(she's implied to have shot the group picture too). The King is also a logical addition and we know for a fact that King Zora is no stranger to fighting. 

The main drawback of course is that best boy Sidon can't really be playable for this game. 

We have Link, Zelda and the four Champions. Impa is possible. The King of Hyrule is a safe guess, and I liked your idea for the Zora King.

In the official art, there is a mini guardian. Maybe it's one of them? Maybe Monk Maz Koshia? Also, some new characters original for this game, like the villains that I gave idea.

I can see Sidon being in the game... as DLC. lol       They could add the four "new champions" as DLC. DLC doesn't need to make sense, after all.

23 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Who knows? Maybe this game will have the Yiga Clan chief be a no-nonsense villain whose defeat explains why the Yiga Clan would have a joke like Khoga as their boss 100 years later. 

I really hope that either this game or BOTW2 gives us a Yiga Clan boss fight that is actually a serious threat. As funny as Khoga was, the idea of fighting an evil ninja clan chief has too much potential to not see use.

So this is a canon game to the main series. A prequel to BotW detailing the Calamity. A Warriors game is in the Zelda canon as more than a spinoff.

That's fascinating. It does seem like they took it seriously if the Zelda team is as involved as claimed and while I wasn't all that into FE warriors, this has something more to it than that game did. And it's out surprisingly soon too, I wouldn't have expected 20/11/20 if you told me it was a thing with no date.

Also, stupid question, but do we know where BotW is in the Zelda timeline?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Who knows? Maybe this game will have the Yiga Clan chief be a no-nonsense villain whose defeat explains why the Yiga Clan would have a joke like Khoga as their boss 100 years later. 

I really hope that either this game or BOTW2 gives us a Yiga Clan boss fight that is actually a serious threat. As funny as Khoga was, the idea of fighting an evil ninja clan chief has too much potential to not see use.

I think one of those Yiga merchants says that Khoga is in fact the founder of their clan. A Yiga leader who's a serious threat would also kinda undercut that they are....the Yiga clan. 

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

No; it intentionally references games from different branches of the Zelda timeline. All we know for sure is that it takes place tens of thousands of years after any other game in the timeline, 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

No; it intentionally references games from different branches of the Zelda timeline. All we know for sure is that it takes place tens of thousands of years after any other game in the timeline, 

Hm, could it then be a suggestion as it  collapsing together of the timelines?

Zelda doesn't need one big timeline. Connecting a small set of 2-3 games, thats fine. But the entire franchise? Nope, doesn't need it at all. It's a ridiculous proposition anyhow because Nintendo won't let chronology get in the way of whatever it is they want to do with Zelda.

I ignored BotW's story, so I don't have any interest ATM in this game. It's unexpected, but if does certain things right that HW didn't have or got wrong, then I'd welcome those things and this game and hope those aspects carry over into the second grand intraseries crossover HW which currently isn't happening. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think one of those Yiga merchants says that Khoga is in fact the founder of their clan. A Yiga leader who's a serious threat would also kinda undercut that they are....the Yiga clan. 

That's odd; the Yiga Clan was founded in the age of the king that buried the guardians and the divine beasts and forbade the Sheikah from using their technology, and that age was a very long time before even the past events of BOTW; how could Khoga be a founder and still alive without being a mummy (and we know from his obesity that he isn't mummified)? Perhaps they mean that he founded the current generation of the Yiga Clan or something like that. 

EDIT: I found out what it is: "Kogha" is a title passed down to each leader of the Yiga Clan, presumably to obscure whenever there's a change in leadership. The current Master Kogha is not the one from 100 years ago or from the Yiga Clan's founding. 

As for, "A Yiga leader who's a serious threat would also kinda undercut that they are....the Yiga clan" I'm not sure about that; the Yiga Clan are an odd blend of silliness and seriousness. On the one hand, they're bananas for bananas. But, on the other hand, they killed the wife of a deserter and blackmailed said deserter for years. Plus there's the memory Link has where he stops a group of Yiga Clan members from assassinating Zelda; not even Ganon goes as far as attempting to outright kill the princess except in Wind Waker when he's become laughing mad at Hyrule being flooded. I don't think a Yiga Clan boss (as in boss fight; if not leader then perhaps top enforcer or something like that) who is a serious threat would undercut the Yiga Clan. 

Edited by vanguard333

Bit disappointed to see it's not FEW2 but still very much excited for this.

I worry about the playable characters. Like I'm excited for a game that actually let's you experience the events from a 100 years ago first hand but also that doesn't really leave much room for a diverse cast which imo is the drawing point of a warriors game. Even adding characters from after the calamity like Sidon or Kass it would still pale to the previous Hyrule Warriors without even taking into account characters like Link or Zelda having many drastically different playstyles by just choosing a different weapon.

35 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh interesting. I thought they dropped the whole timeline idea since it's placement on it was just ignored for the longest time

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One thing I'm curious about is how they will handle the world of Hyrule. BOTW is famous for being an open world game so they might want to keep that aspect. And Koei did dabble in their own open world stuff before. 

Oh no! Could it take after DW9!? 🤮

Don't you dare! That would kill me inside. DW9 was legit one of the worst games I've ever played.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One thing I'm curious about is how they will handle the world of Hyrule. BOTW is famous for being an open world game so they might want to keep that aspect. And Koei did dabble in their own open world stuff before. 

Given that this game seems to be more focused on telling a story than BOTW, I don't think it will have an open world. There will probably be a bit more exploration in this game, but I don't think it'll try to be an open world game. 

By the way, what do you think of the points I raised about the Yiga Clan?

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Don't you dare! That would kill me inside. DW9 was legit one of the worst games I've ever played.

I'm sorry, I haven't played much Dynasty Warriors. Would you care to elaborate on how 9 was different from other games for someone who has never touched 9?

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Not a huge LoZ lore buff, but I think it's the last in the "adult" timeline so far, but I may very well be mistaken. (I think it's set after the events of Wind Waker, Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks?)

EDIT: Heck, other people already answered.

Anyhow, Re: HW2, I'm actually pretty excited for it! I've never played a Hack-'n-slash video game, but I've heard some good things about HW1, and maybe adding some extra lore to BOTW setting is very enticing. Maybe I'll finally get a switch so I can play it...

Edited by Benice

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'm sorry, I haven't played much Dynasty Warriors. Would you care to elaborate on how 9 was different from other games for someone who has never touched 9?

9 took the franchise open world. Which basically translated into spreading existing content thin and adding in really crap hunting, gathering, and crafting mechanics. It also meant that you would spend a LOT of time looking at a horse's ass between objectives.

They also dumbed down the combat (yes, apparently that's actually possible) such that each character only has 3 combos (a stun combo, a launch combo, and a knockdown combo) along with a cooldown special, musuo, and rage.

The open world setting meant that battles lacked cohesion and challenge. It basically devolved to go to setting, grapple over walls, kill boss.

Oh, and there's the unrelated stuff. Cloned weapons. Terrible, boring voice acting. Repetitive soundtrack. Etc.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Not a huge LoZ lore buff, but I think it's the last in the "hero is defeated" timeline so far, but I may very well be mistaken. (I think it's set after the events of Wind Waker, Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks?)

The "Hero is defeated" timeline is not the timeline that contains Wind Waker and its sequels. The "hero is defeated" timeline contains all the pre-Ocarina games, the Oracle games and A Link Between Worlds. The Adult Timeline contains Wind Waker and its sequels. 

Just now, vanguard333 said:

The "Hero is defeated" timeline is not the timeline that contains Wind Waker and its sequels. The "hero is defeated" timeline contains all the pre-Ocarina games, the Oracle games and A Link Between Worlds. The Adult Timeline contains Wind Waker and its sequels. 

Why do I always mess those up? Gah. Thank you for clearing that up, I'd best edit my previous post.

Just now, Benice said:

Why do I always mess those up? Gah. Thank you for clearing that up, I'd best edit my previous post.

You're welcome. 

By the way, what do you think of the idea of potentially having a more serious Yiga Clan boss either in this game or BOTW2?