Zelda 35th Anniversary - Speculation/Discussion

Anacybele

15 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

9 took the franchise open world. Which basically translated into spreading existing content thin and adding in really crap hunting, gathering, and crafting mechanics. It also meant that you would spend a LOT of time looking at a horse's ass between objectives.

They also dumbed down the combat (yes, apparently that's actually possible) such that each character only has 3 combos (a stun combo, a launch combo, and a knockdown combo) along with a cooldown special, musuo, and rage.

The open world setting meant that battles lacked cohesion and challenge. It basically devolved to go to setting, grapple over walls, kill boss.

Oh, and there's the unrelated stuff. Cloned weapons. Terrible, boring voice acting. Repetitive soundtrack. Etc.

I see. The usual sort of teething pains from trying something new going astray (you know, as opposed to when it goes well and you get something special). That is losing parts of what you did well in the first place while not doing the new aspects well. With that in mind I might approach with caution... mostly because I never have been able to play one of these games to 100% (which is unusual for me to say the least) due to it getting a bit grindy to get everyone to max level/collect materials for upgrades/etc.

That said... I'd be lying to claim I'm not interested in the story at the least.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

By the way, what do you think of the idea of potentially having a more serious Yiga Clan boss either in this game or BOTW2?

I actually didn't mind their portrayal so much in BOTW, but there was a bit of mood whiplash from the Dorian sidequest to Master Kogha, but I didn't mind it so much. What I would really want to see in this game or BOTW 2 is to explain their culture and whatnot more-Make 'em more morally gray or at least flesh them out more. I do agree that their portrayal in sequels should be a bit more serious, though.

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I see. The usual sort of teething pains from trying something new going astray (you know, as opposed to when it goes well and you get something special). That is losing parts of what you did well in the first place while not doing the new aspects well. With that in mind I might approach with caution... mostly because I never have been able to play one of these games to 100% (which is unusual for me to say the least) due to it getting a bit grindy to get everyone to max level/collect materials for upgrades/etc.

That said... I'd be lying to claim I'm not interested in the story at the least.

There are a few really good entry points into Musuo games.

Dynasty Warriors 8XL or DW8 Empires depending on preference.

Samurai Warriors 4

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

Hyrule Warriors

Fire Emblem Warriors

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 or 4

Those are generally held up as the best in class.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

There are a few really good entry points into Musuo games.

Dynasty Warriors 8XL or DW8 Empires depending on preference.

Samurai Warriors 4

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

Hyrule Warriors

Fire Emblem Warriors

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 or 4

Those are generally held up as the best in class.

Hyrule Warriors was my entry point.... it's just i never got to 100% because midway through working through the DLC on the 3DS version, I had an incident involving a knife and the webbing of my right hand. Long story short, by the time I got done healing... I was wrapped up in other games I could play without my thumb being in working order. Fire Emblem Warriors... well... I left that off to focus on something else a while... and I can be damned if I remember what. They're both presently on the list of games I intend to get back to.... if I can stop being distracted by newer shinier games.... like this one. Or reasons to replay old games. Or my other hobbies. Or life. Damn it I'm giving myself an existential crisis.

Just now, Benice said:

I actually didn't mind their portrayal so much in BOTW, but there was a bit of mood whiplash from the Dorian sidequest to Master Kogha, but I didn't mind it so much. What I would really want to see in this game or BOTW 2 is to explain their culture and whatnot more-Make 'em more morally gray or at least flesh them out more. I do agree that their portrayal in sequels should be a bit more serious, though.

I didn't mind it either; I just think the idea of evil Sheikah presents too good an opportunity for a serious villain to pass up. If you've seen Naruto, imagine something sort-of like (spoilers)

Spoiler

Tobi/Obito when he was pretending to be Madara. A masked ninja in a longcoat with all kinds of hidden tricks and seething contempt for the world the heroes live in.

I agree that it would be great to see the Yiga Clan be fleshed out a little more. It would also be interesting to see if Ganon is even aware of their existence (probably not). If he isn't, then it would be interesting to see him find out about their existence in BOTW2; maybe even have him form an alliance with Kohga's successor or something like that, and that could contribute to them becoming a bit more serious. 

I've proposed the Yiga Clan splitting into multiple factions in BotW2, each lead by a Yiga Master who wields a unique weapon and specializes in a different type of magic, or possibly uses a Rune copied or stolen from the Sheikah Slate. They would occupy different regions of Hyrule. They could each be tied to some manner of demon beast or other monster that they can summon.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I've proposed the Yiga Clan splitting into multiple factions in BotW2, each lead by a Yiga Master who wields a unique weapon and specializes in a different type of magic, or possibly uses a Rune copied or stolen from the Sheikah Slate. They would occupy different regions of Hyrule. They could each be tied to some manner of demon beast or other monster that they can summon.

That could work, and it could be very interesting. That said, multiple Yiga Masters would mean that each one probably wouldn't get that much characterization and I personally would prefer one antagonist that gets more attention and characterization. But that's just me; your idea would also be good.