Should I convince my brother to do it?

Should I convince my Brother to reclass Dedue from Fortress Knight to Warrior when doing so will lose Dedue 12 points of his very heavily RNG-Blessed Def but it will also triple his RNG-Screwed Spd and Res, double his RNG-Screwed Dex and give him +2 to his Str

Edited by James Marshall
Realized that I put double his RNG-Screwed Dex twice

Depends on how the rest of the team is doing and how your brother rather play.

Sounds like you got a very specialized Def fortress knight.  Which is great!... if you’re playing fortress knight strategies.  Plopping the knight in range to lure enemies attacks setting them up for other attackers, blocking a bottleneck....  *cough* breaking enemies weapons over several turns then luring enemy to stand in forest attacking it with rusted weapons to grind skills*cough*

Fortress knights don’t need speed if they have so much def they’re taking no damage... they don’t even need dex or str if their sole purpose is to be a shield.  I’d say Res is also negligible.  You shouldn’t place them in range of magics in the first place.

If you’re Dedue is so Def blessed that he can still do the Fortress knight job as a Warrior then yah... switch him.  Keep an eye on his growth and how enemies strengthen in case you need to switch back.

How hard are the enemies hitting?

How bad do you need another Attacker?  Is the rest of the team not doing so well?

You don’t really need fortress knight if your team allows for alternative strategies.

That Dedue should be fine if his job is to tank hits and bait enemies. Obviously keep him out of the range of magic. Even if he gets reclassed into Warrior and soft patches some of those stats he probably won't gain much of those stats anyway so he'll fall of again in the future. Lancebreaker will help him with hit lance units at the least.

I would prefer Warmaster as a long term class goal since it gains Quick Reposte and is more suited to killing stuff rather than just being passive. Even outside of being a Fortress Knight Dedue should tank well with a shield, his personal ability, and a decent battalion (his personal battalion). So yeah like Rioma said I think Warrior is a better choice, he'll have one more movement and can probably one round enemy Fortress Knights with a Hammer.

Defense-stacking, I've found, is a viable tactic on Three Houses - especially on Maddening Mode. Enemy attack power scales up more quickly than playable defense, especially on Axefaire foes. The only way to reliably take single-digit damage from classes like Warrior or Wyvern Lord is for everything to work together: High personal defense growth, a class with a big defense modifier, an equippable shield, and a Prt-boosting battalion. Dedue us ideal for this, especially with his defense-boosting personal ability.

Dedue's Speed and Res don't really matter, if his purpose is to take physical hits from enemies that will double him. Higher speed and weight mitigation can help prevent doubling by slower enemies (other Fortress Knights), but that's about it. The movement sucks - this can be mended by going Great Knight, but Dedue is weak in Riding. Alternatively, just support him with tools like Stride, Warp/Rescue, and Repositionals. Or possibly the Boots, if no one has eaten them yet.

If certifying as Warrior helps his speed base, it can be worth doing just for the immediate boost. But the growth mods rarely make enough of a difference at this point - keep in mind, a 10% difference in a growth rate averages a 1-point difference every 10 levels. Outside of Normal Mode, Dedue probably isn't passing level 40.

I agree with what the others said, UNLESS he'd double with the boosts from Wario and you don't have anyone else who could ORKO as efficiently as him in that class.