Who are your least favorite 3H characters?

twilit

There's been threads discussing your favorite 3H characters, so why not one discussing your least favorites?

My least favorite 3H character is Sylvain. He's everything bad about the philanderer trope with no redeeming qualities to go with it. Where other flirtatious characters like Inigo had qualities to make them endearing beyond their flirtation, Sylvain comes across to me as a good-for-nothing jackass who doesn't change even when confronted with the truth about his actions.

Other characters I dislike, but wouldn't say I hate are: Leonie, Raphael, Ignatz, Linhardt, Petra, Catherine, Bernadetta, and Gilbert.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For least favourite, I'd have to go either for Ashe or Cyril. Not because I especially dislike their personalities, but just because I had high expectations before using them, and then they both sucked in battle.

Honorable mention to Gilbert based entirely on Chapter 5 (and maybe a bit cause he replaces Dedue in Reunion at Dawn).

as far as i'm concerned, i definitely strongly hate Edelgard and Lysithea
it's not that i think that they're bad characters, it's just that i hate the way they think and behave, definitely the kinds of people i'd never want to have anything to do with

other characters i dislike are probably bernadetta and leonie, i find them annoying

Edited by Yexin

Edelgard, Bernedetta and Lysithea are at the top of my head of least favorites. Cyril is another character that i dislike but not outright hate. 

Out of the 3H cast, My least favorite character would have to be Dorothea. I don’t care for her personality, others have done the seductress part better. I find her a bit of a Hypocrite. I don’t find her sexy or interesting in the slightest. I just find her as rather sad 

Lysithea and Catherine. Most of Lysithea’s interactions annoy me when she acts like a brat then expects the other person to take her seriously. She grows past it in some of her supports, but it’s ultimately too little too late for me.

Catherine is more me being a contrarian than anything- people seem to think that Cyril is worse when it comes to their obsession with Rhea, but it’s quality over quantity for me. Cyril may talk about her more, but Catherine has a far more unhealthy obsession, and Cyril gets a pass because he’s a kid and his view of the world is naturally centred only on his own experience. Besides, Cyril is a sass god. And Catherine’s other supports bored me mostly.

Byleth, by a long way. I don't like blank-slate player-insert characters, and nothing about Byleth changed my mind. I also feel that interactions with Byleth are the things I like least about other characters. Edelgard's schoolgirl crush on Byleth was the worst part of Edelgard, Leonie's competing over who loved Jeralt more was the worst part of Leonie, etc. As the main player character, Byleth is also the hardest to ignore. If someone else irritates me, I can largely ignore them, but Byleth is always there.

Dishonourable mentions go to TWSITD for being one-dimensional cartoon evil, Bernadetta for being portrayed in a tonally inconsistent way that jumps between comedy and tragedy, and Anna for having no supports.

Marianne: The biggest one is easily Marianne. Her general archetype gets on my nerves a lot. I'm fine with characters having a very low opinion of themselves and it influencing them a lot such as with Ignatz or Takumi but if they say ''no I'm useless'' multiple times in every conversations regardless of any context then it starts getting annoying. Many people think it makes Marianne cute but I just find her irritating. 

Catherine: I'm actually not sure what it is but something about Catherine just rubs me the wrong way. She's certainly a bit of a jerk but hardly an asshole. I certainly really like her design and her blunt macho personality rarely bothers me when other characters have it. And yet I tend to have a negative reaction when I see Catherine.

The Slitherers: They are a collection of every villain trait in Fire Emblem that just don't work. They say and do nothing that's of any interest, are extremely incompetent for main villains and are all around just boring and poorly written. They are team Garon 2. 

Judith: When all is said and done she's just really boring. She has the reputation of being intimidating but neither her generic design nor her casual personality really reflect that reputation. She's a member of a very interesting house in the Alliance but this never gets explored and despite her and Claude seemingly being pretty close their relation is never really explored either, certainly not compared to Dimitri and Rodrigue. She just seems to be there go give us another leading member of the Alliance that isn't Holst. Given all the other Alliance nobles I think Judith's role could have easily gone to any other and the result would have been a lot more interesting. 

Hm... Mine would have to be subject to change, as I've so far only played Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind, but I can think of a few least-favourites that probably won't change:

TWSITD: They're just not very good antagonists. The sad part is that there's a lot to like about them as antagonists: a faction with a grudge against the church and the Nabateans, and access to powerful magitech in an otherwise medieval setting makes for some potentially interesting foes. The key word there would be potentially, as they really don't live up to it at all. 

• Kronya had a lot of potential as the antagonist who killed Jeralt: a personal nemesis in a story otherwise about wars of differing ideologies. She gets killed off by her own faction just a chapter after she kills Jeralt!
  • Solon is a mad scientist villain, but unlike other mad scientist villains like Professor Hojo who at least have impact (usually of the making-a-monster variety), he does nothing except expose his own team's existence with an experiment that goes nowhere and then get killed off after a failed attempt to assassinate Byleth. I guess he's a little more interesting in the Golden Deer path when he uses his Tomas disguise to try to make Claude more antagonistic towards the church, but that doesn't go anywhere. 
  • Thales is probably the most interesting, in that at least he's built up in part 1 and actually does stuff that's working towards a goal, but even he's weak. 

Dmitri. Among the vast sea of indifference that is the FE:TH world (hence all of the following is going off vague memory), I went from being indifferent to active dislike. Has no clue what he wants other than being a good boy and has no idea how to achieve being a good boy. Throw in the fact that he is a lunatic to boot and I was left to wonder why he is still Prince – people like that either are or will become puppets or have an unfortunate accident with a knife. I also have a very low opinion on miracle healings.

Bernadetta. Second least favorite in the franchise, not just 3H.

After her, Catherine. She grates on my nerves something awful. Cyril gets a pass only because he's a kid.

Leonie, for much the same reasons as Catherine.

Finally Edelgard, though not because of her, because of her fans. Like I like Edelgard but many of her fans cause me to groan whenever she's brought up now.

To rank it would go: Bernie <<<<<<<<< Catherine << Leonie <<< Edelgard

Raphael

He only seems to be here as comic relief. And very dumb comic relief at that. Anytime I hope his backstory will be leveraged for interesting story points or characterization, I am disappointed. It's just "meat and muscle" guy, and OMG it's not even funny just cringe.

Edited by salinea

4 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Sylvain comes across to me as a good-for-nothing jackass who doesn't change even when confronted with the truth about his actions.

Dislike Sylvain all you wish, but this point is entirely false. He does eventually change.

Anyway, Felix is probably my least favorite. I cannot stand his attitude at all. The hatred for chivalry and the fact that he seems to just bash anyone who disagrees with his views. And for little good reason.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Dislike Sylvain all you wish, but this point is entirely false. He does eventually change.

In his endings, yes. But his obnoxious personality and womanizing remains the same for the entirety of the game's events.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Bernadetta, Leonie, and Linhardt since all three of them irritated me in one way or another plus their supports conversations also failed to improve my opinion on them in any way. They just felt static from start to finish. Catherine is another character I would say I don't like since having to hear her always talk about her devotion to Rhea got annoying to hear after a while.

Seeing all this hate for my boys Felix and Sylvain can’t we just admit they’re both good boys that are both severely mentally broken and need a hug?

My least favourite so far are Annette and Ashe. I don’t actively dislike them. It’s just that with other characters, the more I read their supports and dialogues, the more I find them interesting, while my impressions on Annette and Ashe remain stagnant. With everyone else moving up, they unfortunately drop to the bottom of my list as a result. 

Edited by DriftingWaterBottle

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

In his endings, yes. But his obnoxious personality and womanizing remains the same for the entirety of the game's events.

He shows change in some of his support chains too. His A support with Byleth for instance. He definitely indicates that he's learned and stuff there. Thanks Byleth for it too.

His B support with Dimitri is a good example too. Dimitri notes that Sylvain had "kept up his end of the bargain" which was to improve his behavior. Sure, this support is more hilarious than anything lol but still.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Seeing all this hate for my boys Felix and Sylvain can’t we just admit they’re both good boys that are both severely mentally broken and need a hug?

Sylvain I see the mentally brokenness with. But Felix, I don't see it nearly as much. I've explained why before, and I don't feel like going into it again.

24 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I love Felix and Sylvain; they are not good boys, they're kind of jerks, they are both indeed severely mentally broken but I doubt a hug would help. Felix would probably stab you if you tried, and Sylvain would try to make a move on you (then break up with you harshly latter on).

Sylvain and Dedue. 

Sylvain is just a misogynistic piece of shit. His views towards woman are just so disgusting it’s unstandable. Dedue, his character is just such an annoying trope that has been done to death. And I just don’t find him interesting. At all. 

I don’t like Leonie either, her entire personality is just admiring Byleths dad. 

Edited by Jbunzie

Just now, Jbunzie said:

Sylvain is just a misogynistic piece god shit. His views towards woman are just so disgusting it’s unstandable.

This exactly. It's one thing to flirt. It's entirely another thing to deliberately mistreat women because of a personal resentment against them.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

This exactly. It's one thing to flirt. It's entirely another thing to deliberately mistreat women because of a personal resentment against them.

Especially, something over an assumption that holds no water at all. He treats women as an object, a play thing and hurt them over the assumption that they’re only after his crests. It’s disgusting and I can’t understand people, especially other women stanning him, like respect yourself please and others as well. 

Edited by Jbunzie

14 minutes ago, Jbunzie said:

Sylvain is just a misogynistic piece of shit.

13 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

This exactly. It's one thing to flirt.

Actually, there is something I am somewhat curios about and that´s Sylvain’s performance as future heir to the house of Gautier since Miklan having been disowned. Is it ever expanded upon whether or not he neglects his duties as a future heir (however they are defined in FE:TH) over his pursuit of dates or does he pull through on them?

Hubert, Jeritza, Dedue, and Catherine are the only characters I outright dislike, and I'm not terribly fond of Cyril but I don't outright dislike him.

Dedue and Catherine are straight up "I'll slaughter little kids if my liege wants me to!" and you know Hubert and Jeritza would totally be like that as well. It's approaching Peri territory. I don't like them.