Who are your least favorite 3H characters?

twilit

10 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

And some people think she’s cute? Or she’s their S support choice?? How is someone who’s personality is just i—iM sAd attractive?

Speaking from the perspective of somebody who likes Marianne, I enjoy how she really tries to grow beyond her trauma post-timeskip. Plus the few moments where she’s actually happy are that extra bit precious. It’s a combination of being invested in her growth and legitimately wanting her to be happy that gets players (or me, at least) to really like her and pick her as an s support. Plus the typical “so precious, must protect”.

So basically the main thing that makes people consider her a good character is her growth. The other things just make her more loveable and “waifu material”.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

And the beautifully confident person she becomes with the help of Byleth's encouragement is such a wonderful ending for her.

Like she says in their S-support: "It's unthinkable that someone who spent their entire life avoiding people could offer you a ring...But who I am now, it's all thanks to you. You've shown me a strength I didn't know I could possess. I wanted you to see how far I've come, and how much I've grown...I guess...I wanted you to see me show a little bravery."

Very sweet and heartwarming.

Too bad you have to marry her for her to really change, meaning you have to already like her. Unless she has some growth that I missed.

Edited by Sooks1016

1 hour ago, RainbowMoon said:

some jaded views on women

Some? Really? I think ‘All’ is the correct word here. 

And second, how in the hell does liking Sylvain, a fictional character, mean that women aren't respecting themselves? Honestly I think that's an unfair assumption and a little bit insulting even.

liking someone who has no ounce of respect for you and treats you like a mere object or tool.. isn’t this literally disrespecting yourself? That you’re willing to defend and love someone who would never do the same for you but would love nothing else but to torment you is being disrespectful towards yourself. And as a woman, that’s disgusting to me. He may be fictional but don’t you think loving him will give others a wrong impression about someone? Like, hey those girls sure do love someone who loves to disregard them?? 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

He's wrong to assume ALL women would treat him this way, yes. But he can't know for sure which ones would do so until it actually happens and he doesn't want it to.

See that’s the thing. He doesn’t have any right to treat everyone like that based only on assumption. It’s not the girls he hurts fault that ‘sylvain can’t know who actually is like that’ it’s not their fault and they don’t deserve to be hurt like that. Sylvain is the one who should stop his shitty flirting and get to know someone to find out about their true nature instead of using someone for his own selfish gains and to dump them later on. I mean, that’s how every sensible person finds love right? 

Edited by Jbunzie

Sylvain, because he's a cheating misogynist douchebag.

Cyril, because he's boring. 

Rhea, the merciless religious extremist.

Lysithea because all of her early conversations are rude and abrasive towards everyone. Ignatz didn't deserve that.

Raphael because he's ugly, boring, and one-note.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Not sure why a thread like this was even created; it seemed like a bad idea ever since I saw it pop up. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can like/dislike whoever they want, but it rubs me the wrong way that a thread was created solely for the reason everyone to speak negatively.

I mean, things already got heated in the actual favorite characters thread, so why even make one just to be hateful?

It's one thing to dislike a certain character, but some people here really go above and beyond. You don't have to understand why people like certain things. All you have to do is let people enjoy themselves and enjoy what they want to.

2 hours ago, Jbunzie said:

Especially, something over an assumption that holds no water at all. He treats women as an object, a play thing and hurt them over the assumption that they’re only after his crests. It’s disgusting and I can’t understand people, especially other women stanning him, like respect yourself please and others as well. 

And second, how in the hell does liking Sylvain, a fictional character, mean that women aren't respecting themselves? Honestly I think that's an unfair assumption and a little bit insulting even.

I totally agree with this. It's wrong to call Sylvain out for assuming all women are after his crests, and then immediately go on to assume that women who like Sylvain lack respect for themselves and other women. He's a fictional video game character. It's not that deep.

Sylvain would love to TORMENT me? girl it's a video game. get a grip

29 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Plus the typical “so precious, must protect”.

This is another mindset towards Marianne I just do not understand. She is literally the embodiment of depression or low self esteem or self loathing or whatever you want to call it, and that’s the entire point of her character. How is that at all precious?

40 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking as someone who suffers from severe self-loathing problems let me just say Marianne is honest to god a constant mood. I just want her to be happy

29 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, I found her to be quite relatable

And if this is what you’re looking for, Dimitri does the whole self loathing thing a million times better. I get he’s a psycho and all but he’s at least likable, so I just don’t get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Carter said:

Not sure why a thread like this was even created; it seemed like a bad idea ever since I saw it pop up. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and can like/dislike whoever they want, but it rubs me the wrong way that a thread was created solely for the reason everyone to speak negatively.

I mean, things already got heated in the actual favorite characters thread, so why even make one just to be hateful?

Because I foolishly hoped that people could discuss the characters they disliked without making things toxic. I didn't create it for people to speak negatively or in a hateful way, but for a simple discussion about the characters and how they were written.

31 minutes ago, Jbunzie said:

See that’s the thing. He doesn’t have any right to treat everyone like that based only on assumption. It’s not the girls he hurts fault that ‘sylvain can’t know who actually is like that’ it’s not their fault and they don’t deserve to be hurt like that. Sylvain is the one who should stop his shitty flirting and get to know someone to find out about their true nature instead of using someone for his own selfish gains and to dump them later on. I mean, that’s how every sensible person finds love right?

Nobody ever said that his behavior was excusable or right. 😕 He responded to his problems with his family and society in an awful way. I didn't even care for him all that much at first, I only recruited him because as female Byleth, it's easy and I tended to like the womanizer archtype. But as I read more and more of his supports and saw his endings, I grew really fond of him. In fact, that poor behavior of his is really more or less a mask hiding who he actually is deep down. He's being a douche because he doesn't think he can be loved for who he is and thinks he has no worth as a person beyond his Crest due to that. So he's being awful because he thinks he and society are awful, more or less.

Characters like Dedue can take the time to get to know Sylvain in their supports and they realize he's much more than his jerkish behavior towards women.

31 minutes ago, Jbunzie said:

liking someone who has no ounce of respect for you and treats you like a mere object or tool.. isn’t this literally disrespecting yourself? That you’re willing to defend and love someone who would never do the same for you but would love nothing else but to torment you is being disrespectful towards yourself. And as a woman, that’s disgusting to me. He may be fictional but don’t you think loving him will give others a wrong impression about someone? Like, hey those girls sure do love someone who loves to disregard them?? 

I'm a woman too, but while I don't believe there are any men out there who would love me and don't have a ton of respect for myself, this is hardly why I like Sylvain. To assume such things is insulting and rude, so please shut up, thank you.

I like Sylvain because he's an interesting twist on the womanizer archtype, I really like his character development, he's got several funny moments, and he's good-looking. That's all. Nothing to do with self respect or disrespect.

Edited by Anacybele

27 minutes ago, Carter said:

I totally agree with this. It's wrong to call Sylvain out for assuming all women are after his crests, and then immediately go on to assume that women who like Sylvain lack respect for themselves and other women. He's a fictional video game character. It's not that deep.

They’re also ignoring the fact that Sylvain’s problem is with Fodlan’s society and values, that would therefore be passed down to Fodlan women. There is literally zero point in you going for a crest baby in our world, if we just wanna go ahead and act like Sylvain actually exists. It’s not even accurate to his character.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

32 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

There is literally zero point in you going for a crest baby in our world, if we just wanna go ahead and act like Sylvain actually exists. It’s not even accurate to his character.

Ohh, I’m sorry incapable of reading? I never said Sylvain was real, all I said that justifying and defending his actions would be a wrong impression to REAL people that wow, girls do like people that disrespect them. Geez.. =_=

snd even if it’s a vid game so what? We’re allowed to dislike characters. 

59 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

so please shut up, thank you.

Excuse me, you’re the one who quoted me first. And no need to get rude. =_= if I’m being civil I expect a civil response back. 

Edited by Jbunzie

• Apparently the only reason people find Edelgard interesting is because they forgot that people can have conflicting opinions and that by definition they're no wrong or right one. Anyway, i think she is a weak character mainly because she is pretty much unopposed, and most of those who do oppose her are either crazy or close to it (Dimitri, CF Rhea), "bad" (The Agarthans), with questionable motives (most nobles) or are reluctant to do it (Pretty much everyone else). I also think that her excuse for starting the war is super weak and missplaced, and that she indeed had other options. The fact that she is in a lot of ways someone i would hate as a person really doesn't help.
  • Hubert has nothing, Edelgard is it's whole world and that's it.
  • I think Manuela is actually a great character, but i hate winner in life who make themselves miserable for no reasons.
  • Same reason i hate Gilbert, except that he doesn't even have the excuse of being a good character in my book. So because he failed to do something he shouldn't have to do in the first place, he abandon litteraly everything he fought for when they need him the most. And he later have the gal to call out Dimitri about accepting responsabilities. What the fuck is this though process?
  • Before he became playable, the line between Jeritza and the Death Knight was rather blurry and that was fairly interesting, tho Jeritza didn't have the screentime to capitalize on it. Now he does, and i hate it. The way he is portrayed in supports, the Death Knight is an entirely different personality and Jeritza himself did nothing wrong but is simply unable to stop it. Nobody confront him about his actions or what he could potentially do, he is just the way it is and there's nothing wrong with it.
  • Constance suffer from the same problem with her sun personality, except that she doesn't even have the benefit of having it explained or exploited in any ways, it's just there. As for covered Constance, she is just a brat who want to play nobles. Her family and subjects were abandonned and slaughtered, and she is pretty much forced to live in the shadows, but she just want to be noble by casting entirely useless magic. I like characters who don't let their past trauma hold them down (Raphael, Felix, Shamir ..) or at least try to, but her backstory is basically inexistant in her character. In fact, i think her entire character is inexistant.
  • Bernadetta, tho i don't really hate the character but more the way she is portrayed, even if i do dislike her. It make any empathy i could have for her dissapear. She also remind me of myself in a lot of wrong ways.
  • Dorothea. Hypocrisy at it's finest (like many characters in this game). Basically a bad mix between Manuela and Sylvain.

25 minutes ago, Jbunzie said:

I never said Sylvain was real

Except that's exactly what you did. I mean, look at what you wrote.

1 hour ago, Jbunzie said:

Sylvain isn't doing anything to you, the player, because he isn't real. And you don't seem to realize that nobody else follows this bizarre, and quite honestly ridiculous, line of thinking.

And if guys irl somehow think it's okay to mistreat a woman because she likes Sylvain, isn't that their own fault? To turn around and say "well then she shouldn't have liked Sylvain" is basically victim blaming.

snd even if it’s a vid game so what? We’re allowed to dislike characters.

True. Except you decided to be a Felix and belittle people for the characters they do like.

2 hours ago, Jbunzie said:

Some? Really? I think ‘All’ is the correct word here. 

Yeah, I'm just gonna respond to this with some of your own words.

Ohh, I’m sorry incapable of reading?

2 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

And if this is what you’re looking for, Dimitri does the whole self loathing thing a million times better.

Two. Different. Characters. I mean seriously, why do people even make comparisons like this? It's completely insensitive. Dimitri and Marianne are two separate people who went through entirely different things. There's no "doing it better" when it comes to feelings. How would you feel if you were in a bad place like Marianne and I pointed at some random across the room and told you "Nope! No sympathy! He's being sad better than you."? Put yourself in the character's shoes for a moment before you hate on them just because they don't fit your definition of how someone with depression should act.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

It's one thing to dislike a certain character, but some people here really go above and beyond. You don't have to understand why people like certain things. All you have to do is let people enjoy themselves and enjoy what they want to.

I feel like this sums it up nicely. Making a topic where the whole point is to crap all over characters you hate is a perfect way to start a war on any board. This topic was bound to get ugly the moment it was created, and lo and behold it didn't disappoint. Not sure why the OP thought a thread like this was neccesary.

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

And if this is what you’re looking for, Dimitri does the whole self loathing thing a million times better. I get he’s a psycho and all but he’s at least likable, so I just don’t get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is why I hate comparison of any kind in regards to storytelling(okay that's not entirely accurate because critical comparison can be useful). It's just really dumb because you can't really compare two characters or stories like that. Again it's like comparing apples to oranges. there is no such thing as a "right" way to deal with trauma. To say otherwise is simply insensitive. At that point I really need to ask what is actually wrong with you? because I don't know about you but I personally hate it when people say my feelings don't matter because someone else "does it better than me". You ever think about how that would make you feel?

On that same token. You can't compare stories in the same way but I digress. That's a topic for another time.

Edited by Ottservia

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Hubert, Jeritza, Dedue, and Catherine are the only characters I outright dislike, and I'm not terribly fond of Cyril but I don't outright dislike him.

Dedue and Catherine are straight up "I'll slaughter little kids if my liege wants me to!" and you know Hubert and Jeritza would totally be like that as well. It's approaching Peri territory. I don't like them.

I don't think Jeritza would do so; the Death Knight probably would though, and yes; there is a difference.

One of the reasons Jeritza works for Edelgard is that she helps him keep the Death Knight on a leash and only directs it at certain targets. If she gave an order like slaughtering little kids, it would undermine one of the reasons he works for her in the first place.

Also, I don't think you can compare the other ones to Peri; Peri is Death Knight without Jeritza: she kills because she loves killing.

6 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Too bad you have to marry her for her to really change, meaning you have to already like her. Unless she has some growth that I missed.

In VW she’s generally a more confident person than she was pre timeskip. She states her opinion more, she’s willing to fight to help her friends instead of feeling like she’ll be a burden- or perhaps despite the fact that she still feels like a burden. Her A supports with characters like Ignatz see her actually take advice on board to better herself, compared to advice from pre timeskip supports like her Lysithea one, where she just goes “I’m sorry I’m useless I can’t do anything” and runs off. Plus the big one, in her A support with Byleth, she admits that pretimeskip she prayed to the goddess every day to end her life, but now she no longer wishes for that, because there are people in her life who make her feel like she’s worth living.

6 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

This is another mindset towards Marianne I just do not understand. She is literally the embodiment of depression or low self esteem or self loathing or whatever you want to call it, and that’s the entire point of her character. How is that at all precious?

Well that is kinda the point of “precious” characters. The idea that they need to be loved and helped to see that they’re more than they think they are. In the case of characters like Marianne, the fact that they do grow over the course of the game, as a result of the player’s efforts, make the player feel responsible for their growth, which satisfies the urge to see them overcome their problems.

As for why you wouldn’t feel the same way about Dimitri, well, generally we do. Dimitri x Marianne is a popular support for a reason. There are some exceptions of course, not everyone is going to like both characters. But there’s an overlap in the kinds of fans they attract.

Marianne specifically also has the kind of aesthetic that leaves the impression of “must protecc”. I can’t deny that that is also part of it for me. Hilda puts it best in their A support when she describes it as “That sheepish ‘sorry’ and those quivering downcast eyes...”. She very much fits the aesthetic of “precious” characters.

But yeah, I’m not trying to influence your viewpoint or anything. Everyone has their own tastes. I’m just trying to hopefully explain what makes Marianne likeable to other people.

Edited by Anathaco

12 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

But yeah, I’m not trying to influence your viewpoint or anything. Everyone has their own tastes. I’m just trying to hopefully explain what makes Marianne likeable to other people.

Oh no, all of those absolutely appreciated. I just wanted to understand why people like her so much. I would never assume you’re trying to influence my viewpoint just by stating your opinion, it actually really satisfies my curiosity. Thanks for that!

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't think Jeritza would do so; the Death Knight probably would though, and yes; there is a difference.

I'm sorry, but I've never really bought that. Seems like a way to try and run away from the responsibility of his real feelings and desires, in my opinion. Can't get behind that.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Also, I don't think you can compare the other ones to Peri; Peri is Death Knight without Jeritza: she kills because she loves killing.

I'm not comparing anyone directly to Peri. Approaching that territory and being in that territory are different things. They both still leave me not liking those there, though.

I don't really love or hate any of them; that requires a passion and investment I very rarely feel towards any fictional characters.

But disliking Sylvain is perfectly valid. He's a prick who is perfectly fine with charming women under false premises for his own personal (and temporary) enjoyment, and skates by with his piss poor behavior because he's attractive, privileged, and his trauma strikes enough of a sympathetic chord with other characters that they don't really treat like it's any more than a mild nuisance. Or they feel sorry for him. I encounter enough Sylvains in real life and I don't feel like I need him in my pretendy fun fantasy worlds, thank you.

The other asshole characters are more tolerable because they usually aren't that transparently manipulative. It's one thing to be insulted, it's an entirely different thing to be lied to and strung along. And it's not, like, clever or entertaining manipulation lol

Outside of him, I don't particularly enjoy interacting with Bernie, Lysithea, or Marianne. They, too, have trauma that explains their less flattering personality traits but it doesn't really do much for me other than make me pity them. I like Ignatz's character arc more than Marianne's, and he has less help along the way (though that may be why I like it more lol).

Edited by Crysta

Hmm only participating because I did the ones I liked.

I think the only character I truly hate to the core is Rhea. And not even because I don't think she's well-written, because I think she's incredibly well-written which is WHY I hate her. Because I hate her motivations and have 0 sympathy for her, but I understand why she did everything she did. But I also just hate religious extremism, so I was pretty much destined to hate the church. 

Leonie, Seteth, and Catherine definitely round out my top 4 tho. I just really don't like their characters/archetypes/tropes. I will complain about them all the time and I took pleasure in killing them in-game. XD Is it surprising 2/3 are church loyalists? No. Did I almost add Cyril to this list because of his undying, boring devotion to Rhea? Yes.

And then there's the characters I don't care about, because I just don't think they were well written or very nuanced. They didn't do anything for me personally. Ignatz. Raphael. Lorenz. I honestly forget these 3 were in the game (also they were just ugly designs, RIP).

And then there's these characters who I don't hate or dislike, but I'm not exactly neutral. Linhardt, Cyril, Dedue, Flayn, Gilbert. Each had a few supports I liked and a few I didn't, which left me mixed neutral on them. Maybe we should call this group my "Lost Potential" characters.

Edited by Kiran_

13 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Sylvain isn't doing anything to you, the player, because he isn't real.

What I got from this is, “I’m against misogyny but I draw the line if the character is fictional and AtTrAcTiVe UwU”

if this is your line of thinking that misogyny is alright if it’s fictional then disgusting and I don’t want to argue further. According to your logic racism, incest and pedophilia is also alright if it’s fictional because it IsNt ReAL. -_-

Edited by Jbunzie

Just now, Jbunzie said:

if this is your line of thinking that misogyny is alright if it’s fictional then disgusting and I don’t want to argue further. According to your logic racism, incest and pedophilia is also alright if it’s fictional because it IsNt ReAL. -_-

Please, stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions from a single statement. Discussions like this are way beyond what I had in mind when I made this thread.

On a tangential note, scanning through this thread it seems like nobody so far has called Ferdinand, Ingrid, Alois or Shamir their least favourite character. I wonder if that's because they're generally popular, or they're just inoffensive and nobody has decided they're the most dislikable. Not complaining either way, but I am curious. 

What I got from this is, “I’m against misogyny but I draw the line if the character is fictional and AtTrAcTiVe UwU”

I mean by that logic me playing Fire Emblem is gonna make me want to ho out and commit war crimes because they do it in game. It’s the same logic as saying “video games cause violence” which we both know has no scientific correlation or basis

4 hours ago, Jbunzie said:

In that case, all we Fire Emblem players should be jailed for sending children into battle. Probably should be executed for all media we've seen, read, played or created. Who wants to join the Thought Police? Apparently they are hiring. /s

If you can't have a modicum of respect towards others, then these aren't the forums for you.