Who are your least favorite 3H characters?

twilit

I like most of this cast a lot. I almost hesitate to participate in this thread because I don't want to hurt feelings of the fans of the characters I like less, but here we go:

Yuri: I found his plot in CS not credible, and in the main game he feels a bit all over the place with an overly complicated backstory. I also really, really dislike his Bernadetta A support where he basically apologizes for her abusive father. On the plus side, I like his design and his flirtatious behaviour; definitely a character I wanted to like.

Constance: Split personality (where both personalities are overexaggerated to boot) based on sunlight feels like anime nonsense... not to say that can't be enjoyable (it wouldn't be out of place in Awakening), but I find it tonally jarring with the more serious Three Houses.

Cyril: He seems to care for little besides being a Rhea stan. There was an opportunity to explore his internalized racism but it wasn't really taken. And he's sometimes randomly extremely rude in his supports, and unlike other rude characters this is almost never examined or apologized for.

Gilbert: Very different from the other three, I think Gilbert is actually extremely well-written and believable. But god, the way he treats his wife and daughter due to his self-piteous, self-centered beliefs is very hard to watch.

(Rhea and Seteth tick some similar boxes as Gilbert, although not as strongly; I find them easier to like because IMO they aren't as selfish, even if they remind me too much of some very awful people from real life. We see their good/caring sides more.)

Oh yeah and obviously the slitherers (well, Kronya / Solon / Thales at least) are terrible villains, what everyone else said.

7 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

On a tangential note, scanning through this thread it seems like nobody so far has called Ferdinand, Ingrid, Alois or Shamir their least favourite character. I wonder if that's because they're generally popular, or they're just inoffensive and nobody has decided they're the most dislikable. Not complaining either way, but I am curious. 

It's definitely more that they're inoffensive (though I have seen some people who strongly dislike Ingrid for her racism, if not in this thread). Alois and Shamir in particular aren't that popular if we go by Choose Your Legends. However, the game swings for the fences with many of its major characters and that means some people are gonna really like them, and some people are gonna really dislike them. And that's fine!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

On a tangential note, scanning through this thread it seems like nobody so far has called Ferdinand, Ingrid, Alois or Shamir their least favourite character. I wonder if that's because they're generally popular, or they're just inoffensive and nobody has decided they're the most dislikable. Not complaining either way, but I am curious. 

While Alois might not be likely to be the favorite for a lot of people I think he's also the least likely to end up as someones least favorite character. He's definitely as inoffensive as they come considering his default behavior towards everyone is very kind and wholesome. And unlike Ashe and Annette he has some quirks that might prevent people from thinking he's got nothing to offer aside from being wholesome. He's easy to like and seemingly pretty hard to dislike. I guess the same would also count for Ferdie 

I do recall Ingrid having at least some detractors for her behavior around Dedue. 

9 hours ago, Jbunzie said:

What I got from this is, “I’m against misogyny but I draw the line if the character is fictional and AtTrAcTiVe UwU”

I don't recall ever mentioning Sylvain's attractiveness. I'm starting to think you really can't read lol

9 hours ago, Jbunzie said:

if this is your line of thinking that misogyny is alright if it’s fictional then disgusting and I don’t want to argue further. According to your logic racism, incest and pedophilia is also alright if it’s fictional because it IsNt ReAL. -_-

Yeah, this couldn't be a more obvious troll post. Everyone else already spelled out why this is a fresh load of crap, so... enjoy the ingore list, amigo!

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's definitely more that they're inoffensive (though I have seen some people who strongly dislike Ingrid for her racism, if not in this thread). Alois and Shamir in particular aren't that popular if we go by Choose Your Legends. However, the game swings for the fences with many of its major characters and that means some people are gonna really like them, and some people are gonna really dislike them. And that's fine!

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

While Alois might not be likely to be the favorite for a lot of people I think he's also the least likely to end up as someones least favorite character. He's definitely as inoffensive as they come considering his default behavior towards everyone is very kind and wholesome. And unlike Ashe and Annette he has some quirks that might prevent people from thinking he's got nothing to offer aside from being wholesome. He's easy to like and seemingly pretty hard to dislike. I guess the same would also count for Ferdie 

I do recall Ingrid having at least some detractors for her behavior around Dedue. 

Interesting - I've not actually seen the Ingrid/Dedue support, so I didn't know her being racist was a thing! I'll definitely check that out (until this thread, I thought Ingrid was the most inoffensive character in the game).

I was surprised about Alois not making anyone's least favourite list, at least because of the bait-and-switch with him being a platonic S support for M!Byleth (which I remember there being some outrage about early on). The reason for it not being romantic is explained, but nonetheless it did feel like they shortchanged the player. I guess that's the devs' fault and not his character's though.

But with Alois and Ferdinand especially, they seem about as exaggerated as many of the characters people tend to be more vocal about disliking, and that's the main reason why I was surprised not to see them in the responses. On the other hand, I think Shamir is one of the better-written characters in the game (even if her archetype is pretty standard) so I'm not shocked at all that no one takes issue with her. 

1 hour ago, haarhaarhaar said:

But with Alois and Ferdinand especially, they seem about as exaggerated as many of the characters people tend to be more vocal about disliking, and that's the main reason why I was surprised not to see them in the responses.

Maybe Ferdinand's look has something to do with it? I am being serious. I like his design, and since I never take seriously the story elements in Fire Emblem, he would need to be awfully bad written (or have a terrible voice actor) for me to dislike him and act upon it. As long as his character is inoffensive (even if bland), I would always recruit him because of how he looks.

I have only played Blue Lions. And the looks of the students was the main reason why I chose them. Yes, I am that vain. 😅

Dimitri doesn't get ~miraculously~ healed, he states multiple times that he's still hearing the voices of the dead. He just decides not to let revenge consume and hurt his friends, as the man who was basically like a dad to him died in that very way.

One thing that bothers me is that they chose to make him obviously mentally ill and incredibly violent on top of it. It's not a good way to represent mental illness. The same could be said for Jeritza.

As for me:
Gilbert - He's the shittiest character ever, Dedue basically calls him on his BS in their supports and it's true. Quit making excuses to not return to your family and RETURN TO THEM. Fucks sake. His whole story is BS because he abandoned Dimitri too.

Catherine: While Cyril is a kid and hasn't had the best view of the world, therefore someone treating him kindly would obviously earn reverence. Catherine is 27, she's an adult and still chooses to obsessively stalk Byleth just because Rhea pays attention to them and is just plain creepily obsessed with her. Not to mention Christophe.

Miklan: All of Sylvain's bad traits can be traced back to him. Don't forget that he literally abused and tried to kill Sylvain multiple times. Then if you have the DLC Yuri states that he kidnaps people and it's assumed he kills them (he says women in the ENG ver which is 100x terrible)

Edited by meteorblade

21 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Interesting - I've not actually seen the Ingrid/Dedue support, so I didn't know her being racist was a thing! I'll definitely check that out (until this thread, I thought Ingrid was the most inoffensive character in the game).

She's not exactly "racist" like a lot of people say. She holds a grudge against Duscur as a country purely because of the Tragedy, which led to the death of her fiancé Glenn and nearly killed her best friend Dimitri too. Her anger's totally understandable, but naturally makes things uncomfortable between her and Dedue at first. As far as actual race goes though, she doesn't really care. The whole "Ingrid is racist" thing was started as a joke because of Dedue's dark skin (like the "Dimitri murders woman" meme), but some people took it a bit too seriously.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, Anathaco said:

Marianne specifically also has the kind of aesthetic that leaves the impression of “must protecc”. I can’t deny that that is also part of it for me. Hilda puts it best in their A support when she describes it as “That sheepish ‘sorry’ and those quivering downcast eyes...”. She very much fits the aesthetic of “precious” characters.

This is basically a spot-on description of Dimitri for me lol

19 hours ago, meteorblade said:

Gilbert - He's the shittiest character ever, Dedue basically calls him on his BS in their supports and it's true. Quit making excuses to not return to your family and RETURN TO THEM. Fucks sake. His whole story is BS because he abandoned Dimitri too.

You ever think that may very well be the point of his character?

37 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You ever think that may very well be the point of his character?

That doesn’t make him a better character. Or at least, not to everyone. If he’s as hateable as the writers intended, then they should absolutely be infuriated every time he’s on screen, therefore the writers did their job and they don’t like the character!

1 hour ago, Sooks1016 said:

That doesn’t make him a better character. Or at least, not to everyone. If he’s as hateable as the writers intended, then they should absolutely be infuriated every time he’s on screen, therefore the writers did their job and they don’t like the character!

which is my point. He's a good character if because he's intentionally written as unlikable in that sense

Hm.. I think the only characters that really rubs me the wrong way are Bernadetta, and Catherine.

There are also some who I don't really care for but will reserve judgement, since I've barely interacted with them. Poor Cyril whom I've never had a support conversation after multiple playthroughs of this game lol.

21 hours ago, meteorblade said:

I find him quite sobering and grounded. I can see a person running away from their shame, guilt or troubles, by making frustrating, questionable life choices the way Gilbert does. I like the direction they went with him, and I think his supports add to AM, but yeah, he's sooo frustrating at the same time. I just want to slap some sense into him. The weakest part with his supports is how easily he gets let off by Annette, imho.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:35 AM, haarhaarhaar said:

OMG I forgot Ingrid even existed.

She's definitely on my dislike list, but she is so forgettable. XD I dislike her mostly for how boring she is as a character. The racism also rubbed me wrong even though 'she got over it', it just was blah to me. Her best moments were her running away from Mercedes. Lol. I definitely was upset about it, because I love Ingrid's design, and I really wanted to like her!

5 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

She's not exactly "racist" like a lot of people say. She holds a grudge against Duscur as a country purely because of the Tragedy, which led to the death of her fiancé Glenn and nearly killed her best friend Dimitri too. Her anger's totally understandable, but naturally makes things uncomfortable between her and Dedue at first. As far as actual race goes though, she doesn't really care. The whole "Ingrid is racist" thing was started as a joke because of Dedue's dark skin (like the "Dimitri murders woman" meme), but some people took it a bit too seriously.

I'm glad to see this be pointed out. How anyone could interpret her mindset as racism (beyond the joke, as you mentioned) is something I fail to understand, when the events and dialogue of 3H clearly explain why she feels the way she does about Duscur and its people.

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm glad to see this be pointed out. How anyone could interpret her mindset as racism is something I fail to understand, when the events and dialogue of 3H clearly explain why she feels the way she does about Duscur and its people.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about this fanbase is that a lot of people are deathly allergic to the word “context” and actually trying to understand a character. 

14 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

She's definitely on my dislike list, but she is so forgettable. XD I dislike her mostly for how boring she is as a character.

How so :00

5 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Thanks for clarifying. Of course, it's entirely possible to dislike a country without holding it against individuals from that country. But the statement I quoted (in bold) does make it sound as if she holds a racist attitude, even if its source is understandable, because it's a generalisation based on the acts of (extreme) individuals deployed against unrelated individuals for no other reason than a shared ethnic background. Anyway, having not seen that support chain yet I'm more than happy to withhold judgement.

EDIT: Just checked it out, and Ingrid calls herself out, recognising her own prejudice. So yeah, seems pretty clear cut.

19 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

OMG I forgot Ingrid even existed.

She's definitely on my dislike list, but she is so forgettable.

Hehe I guess now she also gets the dubious honour of joining this thread.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

Lysithea because people are willing to forgive and ignore the shitty things she says just because she’s cute, have cancer (aka tragic backstory) and the power of memes on her side.

Edited by zuibangde

3 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Lysithea because people are willing to forgive and ignore the shitty things she says just because she’s cute, have cancer (aka tragic backstory) and the power of memes on her side.

I mean she is cute and who doesn’t like a sas talking loli

2 hours ago, ruruo said:

Hm.. I think the only characters that really rubs me the wrong way are Bernadetta, and Catherine.

There are also some who I don't really care for but will reserve judgement, since I've barely interacted with them. Poor Cyril whom I've never had a support conversation after multiple playthroughs of this game lol.

I find him quite sobering and grounded. I can see a person running away from their shame, guilt or troubles, by making frustrating, questionable life choices the way Gilbert does. I like the direction they went with him, and I think his supports add to AM, but yeah, he's sooo frustrating at the same time. I just want to slap some sense into him. The weakest part with his supports is how easily he gets let off by Annette, imho.

Annie just forgiving him is so frustrating imo because they don't even seem to really make up in their supports? 

Plus Dimitri mentions that one of Gilberts training methods was to leave him on a snowy mountain to find his way home. The actual fuck?

Even if he is meant to be dislikable, it doesn't matter to me because I do not like him at all.

6 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm glad to see this be pointed out. How anyone could interpret her mindset as racism (beyond the joke, as you mentioned) is something I fail to understand, when the events and dialogue of 3H clearly explain why she feels the way she does about Duscur and its people.

Ummm ... this is literally what racism is. In her actual support she says "The people of Duscur..." Not the country, the people. That's exactly how Americans held a hatred for Muslims after 9/11. That hatred is called racism. So yes. She is racist. Look at her later support. "I thought the people cruel and heartless, deserving of the tragedy that befell them." 

It wasn't a joke because of his dark skin. It was the fact she clearly held hatred for a whole people without actually considering things. The entirety of Duscur is an allegory for racism, it's plain as day. People hate blindly. People are racist, blindly. Tragedy does not justify racism, which was the entire point of her supports and her overcoming it. 

So it's not an 'interpretation' that her mindset was racist. She just actually was. Wishing death and genocide upon an entire people is racist. 

1 hour ago, Sooks1016 said:

How so :00

For reasons mentioned above. And boring because I felt they didn't give her much in the way of being her own person beyond being the 'mom' friend of Sylvain, Felix and Dimitri. My favorite supports of her are with Ashe (and her moments with Mercedes). I just felt there was so much more that could have been done for her, and against the rest of the Blue Lions cast, she (and Dedue) fell flat to me.

1 minute ago, meteorblade said:

Plus Dimitri mentions that one of Gilberts training methods was to leave him on a snowy mountain to find his way home. The actual fuck?

They likely got that idea from one piece. Garp just kinda threw luffy into the jungle as a kid to make him stronger. And it worked for the most part. Then again I think this is just a common anime trope in general.

6 hours ago, meteorblade said:

Annie just forgiving him is so frustrating imo because they don't even seem to really make up in their supports? 

Even if he is meant to be dislikable, it doesn't matter to me because I do not like him at all.

Yeah, I totally agree. For all he has done, the reason in the supports for Annette's forgiveness so lackluster and tropey. 

That could be anime training from hell...x'D.  

The worst thing Gilbert did to Dimitri imho, is also to leave the Kingdom. Although, I'm not sure when he left the Kingdom, but I assume it was straight after the assassination
That would mean, the 'important' people around a young Dimitri after his parent's death, would likely be his Uncle and uuuh... Cornelia 💀. It's so hypocritical of Gilbert, who was known for his chivalry. When it mattered the most, he abandoned his country and his future king. Maybe if Gilbert stayed, he could have helped Dimitri sway enough support to prevent the massacre that followed, or at least helped restore Faerghus to a more stable position. 

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

They likely got that idea from one piece. Garp just kinda threw luffy into the jungle as a kid to make him stronger. And it worked for the most part. Then again I think this is just a common anime trope in general.

Actually, the Training from Hell trope, as this is called, has its basis in real life. Particularly in sports and martial arts.
Anime and games likely adapted and exaggerated the real life examples, in particular the training Shaolin monks have/had to go through (which, among other things, involves running up a mountain and then crawling back down, or hitting oneself in the head to harden the skull).

---

On topic, I dislike Sylvain purely because the womanizer trope got really old at this point, and it's one of my least favorite character tropes in general.
It's one of two tropes that immediately make me dislike a character. It's never been funny (except one time in Bravely Default with Ringabel), it's never been endearing, it's never made me like a character more. And Sylvain, for all the good things he says in his C-support with Dedue (which I do agree with), is no exception to that.

Then, there's Lorenz, who is a combination of the worst aspects of Sylvain and Ferdinand: Ferdinand's arrogance and "I'm better than you" attitude without his redeeming qualities, and Sylvain's womanizing.
The only redeeming quality to this guy is that he's voiced by Ben Diskin, who is an absolutely great voice actor in my opinion.

Raphael is Effie from Fates, obsessed with food and training, and that clashes horribly with the otherwise down to Earth cast of Three Houses.
But I prefer him to Effie, because at least he's a nice enough fellow.

Ignatz is about as interesting as watching paint dry and I'd argue I'd find the latter a lot more interesting than him.

Leonie is Jeralt this, Jeralt that. And when she doesn't constantly go off about Byleth's father (which is never if you don't recruit her or get supports with anyone that is not Byleth), I don't find her that compelling, either, in all honesty.

Then there's Linhardt, who I was neutral on... until I saw his supports with Flayn and Lysithea. From then on, he was just a massive creep to me.

These are the only ones I actively dislike. I either really like or am rather neutral on everyone else.
(And none of these are as bad as my most hated characters from a certain other FE game).

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

On topic, I dislike Sylvain purely because the womanizer trope got really old at this point, and it's one of my least favorite character tropes in general.
It's one of two tropes that immediately make me dislike a character. It's never been funny (except one time in Bravely Default with Ringabel), it's never been endearing, it's never made me like a character more. And Sylvain, for all the good things he says in his C-support with Dedue (which I do agree with), is no exception to that.

To Sylvain's credit as a character rather than as a person, he's not meant to be funny or endearing. Unlike previous "chilvarous pervert" portrayals which were played as cute or funny; Sylvain is obviously fucked up in a way that harms both others and himself, is shown to have hatred, spite and self-loathing at its source, and the game always portrays that as a negative thing.