Who are your least favorite 3H characters?

twilit

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Considering you seem to be still very early in the game, maybe at least finish two opposing paths first?

A number of the issues here would be resolved once you experienced perspectives from different characters.

I've already been frankly not enjoying the game so far but she's written in such a way that she's almost comic-book villian levels of evil to me frankly so I really doubt I'll ever do another playthrough just for the route of the obviously evil cult leader and not in a clear intentional way, since it's pretty clear the game still wants you to be up in the air about but frankly she's just been a total C-word the entire time, pretty much every scene  she's been in she's said something that made me go. "Why the hell is Byleth still working for you?"

She pretty much couldn't have been written any less appealing to me and it comes off as bad writing considering they still expect me to consider joining her later on, if they want me to actually consider joining her, they should have maybe had her not tick literally almost every single evil cultist trope and some other stuff.

It's frankly frustrating how the game just forces you to go along with this obviously evil Cult leader, despite how she's incredibly suspicious and Jeralt warning you about her, Byleth must be frankly brain-damaged to have apparently not picked up on the 2000'd red flag she's given, Blyeth would probably follow Nergal and not realize he was evil at this rate, there's nothing more frustating to me than an obnoxious stupid protagonist for the sake of the "plot" and by god the Byleth and Rhea situation is one of the worst I've seen.

Edited by Samz707

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I've already been frankly not enjoying the game so far but she's written in such a way that she's almost comic-book villian levels of evil to me frankly so I really doubt I'll ever do another playthrough just for the route of the obviously evil cult leader and not in a clear intentional way, since it's pretty clear the game still wants you to be up in the air about but frankly she's just been a total C-word the entire time, pretty much every scene  she's been in she's said something that made me go. "Why the hell is Byleth still working for you?"

She pretty much couldn't have been written any less appealing to me and it comes off as bad writing considering they still expect me to consider joining her later on, if they want me to actually consider joining her, they should have maybe had her not tick literally almost every single evil cultist trope and some other stuff.

It's frankly frustrating how the game just forces you to go along with this obviously evil Cult leader, despite how she's incredibly suspicious and Jeralt warning you about her, Byleth must be frankly brain-damaged to have apparently not picked up on the 2000'd red flag she's given, Blyeth would probably follow Nergal and not realize he was evil at this rate, there's nothing more frustating to me than an obnoxious stupid protagonist for the sake of the "plot" and by god the Byleth and Rhea situation is one of the worst I've seen.

There is so much I wanted to say since your first post in this thread but can't because much of it is in spoiler territory. You are simultaneously right but also among the group of people jumping to conclusions regarding Rhea you appear to be leaping instead. Rhea and the church are the most tied to the game compared to anything else and the only way to get the full picture is to play basically everything (which if you aren't enjoying the game, is an unpleasantly monumental task).

How much side content have you done, and what chapter are you at? I may be able to offer a counterpoint on some of the issues.

Also, in response to a previous post of yours, you'll never see Rhea execute people simply due to their faith. She brought Cyril out of a less than okay situation, employs Shamir and lets Claude study at Garreg Mach. None of them are believers.

7 hours ago, Slyfox said:

There is so much I wanted to say since your first post in this thread but can't because much of it is in spoiler territory. You are simultaneously right but also among the group of people jumping to conclusions regarding Rhea you appear to be leaping instead. Rhea and the church are the most tied to the game compared to anything else and the only way to get the full picture is to play basically everything (which if you aren't enjoying the game, is an unpleasantly monumental task).

How much side content have you done, and what chapter are you at? I may be able to offer a counterpoint on some of the issues.

Also, in response to a previous post of yours, you'll never see Rhea execute people simply due to their faith. She brought Cyril out of a less than okay situation, employs Shamir and lets Claude study at Garreg Mach. None of them are believers.

If Jeralt, a respect knight, needs to tell Byleth to merely keep the disbelief that the goddess will return to themselves and Cyril literally can seemingly only speak about how great Lady Rhea is, that doesn't come across as "this person is a kind religious leader" that comes across as "Wow this is pretty much a cult and Cyril literally acts like someone brain-washed and even a higher up member of their organization doesn't feel like he can freely speak his mind without fear of something bad happening."

Rhea is literally every single cult-redflag without being horribly deformed fish people or sacrificing dudes.

I've frankly given up doing side-content aside from battles because they've all been boring fetch quests so far and I'm sick of running around the Monestary.

At the bit where Edelgard wants me to run around the entire monastery talking to dudes about the assassins, because it's not like i was sick of this in hour 1, let alone roughly hour 6-7 here, so frankly I'm giving the game a break for the moment because I'm sick of this obnoxious padding because apparently this game hates me and doesn't want me to be actually playing Fire Emblem.

Edited by Samz707

53 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

If Jeralt, a respect knight, needs to tell Byleth to merely keep the disbelief that the goddess will return to themselves and Cyril literally can seemingly only speak about how great Lady Rhea is, that doesn't come across as "this person is a kind religious leader" that comes across as "Wow this is pretty much a cult and Cyril literally acts like someone brain-washed and even a higher up member of their organization doesn't feel like he can freely speak his mind without fear of something bad happening."

In Rhea's defence, I can't think of a single religion that is OK with people wandering through their home base casually talking about how their beliefs are wrong. It's not so much that Jeralt fears for his life or anything, as much as it is that it's just kind of in poor taste. And Cyril doesn't love Rhea because of religious reasons at all, he loves her because he sees her treat him and other people around her with kindness. That may not be the truth at all, but him being a kid excuses him from thinking too critically about whether Rhea really shows everybody else the same kindness she shows him, at least IMO. 

That being said, I can agree that Rhea raises a lot of red flags in your interactions with her. She has her motivations and reasons behind everything she does, fishy or not, but finding her super creepy is fair.

17 hours ago, Samz707 said:

At the bit where Edelgard wants me to run around the entire monastery talking to dudes about the assassins, because it's not like i was sick of this in hour 1, let alone roughly hour 6-7 here, so frankly I'm giving the game a break for the moment because I'm sick of this obnoxious padding because apparently this game hates me and doesn't want me to be actually playing Fire Emblem.

This is one of my major nitpicks with the game too, which is why I'm still at 2.5 routes out of 4. The padding is absolutely terrible, in my opinion. Great concept, but poor execution.

Another one of your issues with the church that I feel I can address, without going into spoiler territory, is the students being put in harms way. The Officer's Academy, as the name implies, is first and foremost a military school. The students are expected to see combat, as those are skills that need to be used when they graduate and return to their respective territories. Garreg Mach is the only solely church-owned territory and whenever the students are in an outside territory it's not just the church that benefits. Furthermore, some of these students have already seen active combat in their respective kingdoms and whatnot, they are already of an age where they are expected to participate.

You'll also see, depending on which students you have and where you are at in part one, some of the students are asked return to their territories to solve various problems, often combat related. It's not the church that sends them in these instances, though their aid is often requested and thus given. The church also regularly deploys their troops to assist various areas, as seen in one of the paralogues.

Last point I want to make is that the church seldom puts their students in areas they believe to be at high risk (that's where their own soldiers go). In most instances, your team is simply in the right place at the right time or consciously putting themselves in danger (because that's what headstrong heirs do). Even in chapter two, when your students are explicitly sent to kill bandits, the church sends its own forces to make sure the students make it out okay (though the forces aren't shown in cutscenes, and you'll only see them if you have battalions).

Basically, this isn't a school setting such as those we have on Earth. Fodlan's rules are much different than what we'd expect to have in our age.

Edited by Slyfox

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'd argue that Rhea isn't as interested in someone's religious views as she is in their loyalty, and she already has that from Cyril in spades.

This,

In fact only church character religious in the traditional sense would be Gilbert,

everyone else, including most senior knights (Captain Jeralt and Catherine) outright stated they don't believe in the practice. Seteth and Flayn obviously knowing the deeper knowledge different from the doctrine

Cyril actually said Rhea told him it's ok not to believe in CoS doctrine.

Spoiler
  • Byleth: Are you a believer?
  • Cyril: Nah, not really. And Lady Rhea told me it's OK if I don't show an interest unless I feel like it, and I haven't so far, but... I just want to take good care of the things she cares about.
  •  
  • Byleth: Business partner?
  • Shamir: I don't believe in the Church of Seiros. It makes me a bit of an anomaly among the knights. Rhea took me in, so I became a knight to repay my debt to her. 
  •  
  • Catherine: That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've always seen myself as a servant of Lady Rhea, not of the church.

Rhea cares really only about if they will carry out their duty, rather than if they believe in the religion.

Last point I want to make is that the church seldom puts their students in areas they believe to be at high risk (that's where their own soldiers go). In most instances, your team is simply in the right place at the right time or consciously putting themselves in danger (because that's what headstrong heirs do).

The game also stated at least twice that deploy students into combat requires direct approval from Rhea herself, obviously Byleth often work around this by pretending field studies or other excuses in paralogues.

Spoiler
  • Shamir: Alois. You're not going to suggest we send students, are you?
  • Alois: I am, actually. Do you have a problem with that?
  • Shamir: I do. We can't send them out on a knight's mission without Rhea's blessing.
  • Alois: I'm sure I can get the go-ahead. I'll just say the students have a...new field training opportunity, or something like that. Besides, we'll be there. We're not going to let them get killed by pirates.

-----------------------

Dimitri: Lady Rhea likely assumed you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from confronting the enemy if you knew their location. But that is not how this story ends, is it? Professor... We're at the ready. Order us to depart, and we'll fight at your side.

• Rhea: No. I will not allow it.
  • Seteth: This discovery comes just when the knights are at their busiest. It is all too likely that our foes revealed themselves to lure you out there. They are the ones who took Jeralt from you… I know how you must despise them, but I must ask you to rein in your personal feelings for now.
  • Byleth: You can't stop me.
  • Rhea: Please, Professor. Do not act carelessly. I ask that you leave this to us. Losing you so soon after losing Jeralt would be unbearable.
  • Dimitri: Lady Rhea, Seteth. Please, try to understand our reasoning before you refuse. With most of the knights still far away, we cannot afford for you two to leave the monastery undefended. The enemy's strength is yet unknown. The only warriors who likely stand a chance are those who wield Relics. With all that in mind, it's obvious who should be dispatched, is it not? If the professor leaves, we will go as well. We've already made preparations and are ready to depart at a moment's notice. Surely you must see that we cannot wait any longer for the knights to gather. Please... Do what must be done and give us the order.
  • Rhea: Professor… Do you agree with this strategy?
  • Rhea: Understood. I will give you the order. Destroy the enemy that is hiding in the Sealed Forest… You have the protection of the goddess on your side. Whatever happens, you shall overcome.
  • Dimitri: No matter what enemy we face, we will not fail. I promise you that.

Honestly I don't have a less favorite character in the game, unfortunately the game focuses most of its attention on: Signs, Byleth, and leader of the three houses and therefore you can't fully understand all the characters (you only have the supports that explain you the past and their future dreams and their caracter).
But what I liked least (but I don't hate it and I like it a bit), I must say that it's Marianne, she is a girl who gives up immediately and when you see her she puts a depression on you that makes you want to quit the game. After 5 years when she begins to grow from her speeches you understand that she has grown and you see a little light in her compared to before, but this light is too dim and remains a slightly weak character. The only part I liked about her is when in the appendix she fights the big beast (it seems to me it is Macuil), in that fight I hardly recognize her she looks like a completely different person.

I'm late on this, but here's mine

Byleth: Byleth isn't poorly written like Corrin or anything, but they are just such a boring lifeless blank slate of a character that there really isn't anything to like about him.

Cyril: Kind of a dead horse beaten, but he's probably my least favorite character. Even after reading some of his supports, he really is just a boring and bland character who never shuts up about Rhea, and he's also just rude for no reason in some of his supports.

The Slitherers: What can I say that hasn't already been said about them? They're boring, they're incompetent, and just evil for the sake of evil. They're the Garon Squad 2.0

My least favourite (non slitherer) character probably ended  up being Sothis. It has less to do with Sothis herself though. Her character isn't unlikeable, but she just has so little room to do things. Two problems really end up holding her back.
1. She can only talk to Byleth.
Sothis is mostly just stuck giving Byleth a nudge or discussing things that have already been said. Few characters are interesting when talking to Byleth, but they can at least talk to other people.

2. Sothis isn't around when Sothis becomes important.
Sothis vanishes after the last Solon chapter. Which is understandable given the reason, but all reveals regarding Sothis happen after that moment. It'd be interesting to see how she'd react to that all, but she can't comment on any of it.

So Sothis can't be very interesting when she's around and when she is interesting, she isn't around.

Raphael probably takes second place. His food gimmick could have been just a tad less dominant.

I really tried to like Edelgard, but I just couldn't. I couldn't really agree with her actions, and especially disliked the Empire's whole deal with Petra (not sure if this is 100% on Edelgard, but she is of Empire royalty). On top of that, as well as she performed in my CF run, she performed the worst out of the 3 lords for me mainly in the beginning. She wasn't bad, she was great actually, but I found that Claude and Dimitri just performed better for me.

I also have pretty mixed feelings about Felix. I'm not 100% complete with my Blue Lions run yet, but so far his supports with Dedue show that he's a little much. But his tsundere-esque interactions with other characters are pretty funny, I found haha.

Also, I just wanna say, I love Mercedes, but I feel like her voice wasn't the best choice😩 Idk where I read this--probably a YouTube comment--but someone said she sounded like Minnie Mouse and I can't unhear it omggg

35 minutes ago, kia_kula said:

Also, I just wanna say, I love Mercedes, but I feel like her voice wasn't the best choice😩 Idk where I read this--probably a YouTube comment--but someone said she sounded like Minnie Mouse and I can't unhear it omggg

I think the worst part of Mercedes’ voice is the fact that her VA also did Rinea in Echoes, and that voice would have fit Mercedes so much better than her current voice does. I love Mercedes as a character, and I don’t think her voice is bad per se, but the fact that it could have been much better IMO kinda hurts.

1 hour ago, Anathaco said:

I think the worst part of Mercedes’ voice is the fact that her VA also did Rinea in Echoes, and that voice would have fit Mercedes so much better than her current voice does. I love Mercedes as a character, and I don’t think her voice is bad per se, but the fact that it could have been much better IMO kinda hurts.

Agreed, they really should have just had Dorothy Elias Fahn use her Rinea voice for Mercedes instead of that annoying Minnie Mouse voice

29 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I've never understood how people hate Mercedes's voice. It doesn't bother me at all, but perhaps that's because I actually know people irl that have voices like that.

For me, it felt like the VA was really forcing herself there. Like, it didn't sound natural at all. 

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

For me, it felt like the VA was really forcing herself there. Like, it didn't sound natural at all. 

Pretty much this. Like it feels like the VA is trying way too hard to go for that “anime mom/big sister” character which is what Mercedes is but it feels like she’s trying too hard to sound like that to the point where it just kinda sounds sarcastic. Also as a Danganronpa fan all I hear out of her mouth is Tsumugi and fuck Tsumugi so yeah.

33 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Pretty much this. Like it feels like the VA is trying way too hard to go for that “anime mom/big sister” character which is what Mercedes is but it feels like she’s trying too hard to sound like that to the point where it just kinda sounds sarcastic. Also as a Danganronpa fan all I hear out of her mouth is Tsumugi and fuck Tsumugi so yeah.

Agreed 😩 I get the kind of characterization she was trying to go for, but honestly the falsetto-y kind of voice sounded a little forced to me. It’s upsetting cause I know she’s a great voice actor, but her portrayal of Mercedes could have been executed differently

15 hours ago, kia_kula said:

Also, I just wanna say, I love Mercedes, but I feel like her voice wasn't the best choice

14 hours ago, Anathaco said:

I love Mercedes as a character, and I don’t think her voice is bad per se, but the fact that it could have been much better IMO kinda hurts.

You two are far too kind: Mercedes's fake voice is reason enough for me to kill her on sight. And I only played Blue Lions. 😂
The same happened to me with Jakob in Conquest, who somehow always committed suicide very early in the game. Poor soul.

On the contrary, I love Hapi's voice and dialogues. That voice acting is the highlight of the entire game for me.

12 minutes ago, starburst said:

You two are far too kind: Mercedes's fake voice is reason enough for me to kill her on sight. And I only played Blue Lions. 😂
The same happened to me with Jakob in Conquest, who somehow always committed suicide very early in the game. Poor soul.

On the contrary, I love Hapi's voice and dialogues. That voice acting is the highlight of the entire game for me.

I'm terrified of what you did to Minnie Mouse in your childhood. Moment of respect for many dead Minnie toys.

Hapi's voice and dialogue is pretty good. Tbf we could honestly have a thread dedicated to appreciating this game's voice acting as a whole. It's all (mostly) so good.

40 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

I'm terrified of what you did to Minnie Mouse in your childhood. Moment of respect for many dead Minnie toys.

I burst out laughing. 🤣

Ironically, Minnie's voice has never bothered me, at least not the one from the early years or the one from the few "recent" cartoons that I have watched (none from this century.) I actually prefer her voice over Mickey's.
The problem with Mercedes's is that she is supposed to be human and not a children's cartoon.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, Slyfox said:

Basically, this isn't a school setting such as those we have on Earth. Fodlan's rules are much different than what we'd expect to have in our age.

Actually it's quite common in navies, most navies have midshipman or similar ranks (naval officer students who haven't receiving their commission) on actual combat vessels both in peace time and in war. Since you can't learn sailing in a classroom. And unlike armies, navies still have to fight pirates, privateer or enforce blockades regularly even during peace time.

Historically, quite a few midshipman were killed in combat, and also many were awarded for bravery.

For US Army, MS-3 cadets (equal to junior year in college) could be assigned to a real platoon one month at a time to get them experience leading real unit. They are very unlikely to see combat since most units are stateside or in Europe, except those who assigned to Korea. But theoretically they are assigned to real combat units.

Edited by Timlugia

On 9/15/2020 at 12:17 AM, Ottservia said:

Y’know maybe instead of judging the story by your own moral standards maybe you should judge the story by its own standards and the rules it sets for itself. You ever think to yourself that maybe just maybe that’s the point?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, could you elaborate?