Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with Nintendo and taking my money

Jokes aside, I am extremely hyped for this game, and it comes out this November, too! Maybe I can ask for it as a late birthday present.

The only thing I want to know is the price. I'll still get it regardless, I haven't played a Warriors game in a while, but I'd like to know how much content it'll have and whether that amount of content is worth full retail price. I'm only worried since I wouldn't want another SwSh situation where it's full retail price for half the content of it's predecessor. Screw Sword and Shield for making me think like this.

I guess another thing that would be kind of neat is if save data from this game could give you bonuses in BotW 2. Personally, I hope it doesn't since I would assume that Nintendo might make it so that BotW 1 save data would give bonuses instead, and I only have BotW 1 on Wii U (unless there's a way to transfer Wii U save data to the Switch?)

Edit: Nvm, I looked it up, and it's full retail price. If you pre-order it digitally, you get a soup ladle as a weapon, so I'd say the price is worth it. Suck it SwSh

Edited by indigoasis

(Someone interested, please bump the main Warriors thread. I provided the last post.)

While I'm disappointed that this is not FEW2, this is good news for a potential FEW2. And it looks great on its own merits. It certainly lets people play as the champions that they've been clamoring so much for.

And I wonder if they'll try to bring in potentially long-lived characters like Midna, Fi, etc. via the lore. Or just add them as non-canon characters for side modes and free mode replays of the story.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I wonder if they are going to do the same with Three Houses later, considering it would fit into exactly mode de operandi:

A cross over warrior game focused on ancient events covering between Assassination of Sothis, massacre of Red Canyon, Nemesis War finally to foundation of Empire and Church.

7 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

I wonder if they are going to do the same with Three Houses later, considering it would fit into exactly mode de operandi:

A cross over warrior game focused on ancient events covering between Assassination of Sothis, massacre of Red Canyon, Nemesis War finally to foundation of Empire and Church.

The best way to do that would be in the 5 year interval during Byleth's sleep. Everyone is still alive and it would be cool to see that story in motion.

I don't really want this approach because the main reason most even want a Warriors 2 is to fix the roster. 

They could have their cake and eat it too though. By unlocking Byleth and other game characters via history mode and free mode. Byleth themself could just be unlocked by... finishing the story.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The best way to do that would be in the 5 year interval during Byleth's sleep. Everyone is still alive and it would be cool to see that story in motion.

The problem with that is that the five-year interval plays out differently depending on if you sided with Edelgard or not. Rhea avoids capture and escapes to Fhirdiad in the Crimson Flower route; preventing Cornelia's coup and preserving the Kingdom of Fearghus. 

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The problem with that is that the five-year interval plays out differently depending on if you sided with Edelgard or not. Rhea avoids capture and escapes to Fhirdiad in the Crimson Flower route; preventing Cornelia's coup and preserving the Kingdom of Fearghus. 

That is a problem, yes. But there's also nothing preventing them from handling that via alternate reality route splits. FEW1 already has route splits where Fates stuff is concerned.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That doesn't have to be a problem. In the different games factions tends to get different stories and those stories may then get separate hypothetical events. The Crimson Flower scenario being its own story wouldn't be that odd. 

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

That doesn't have to be a problem. In the different games factions tends to get different stories and those stories may then get separate hypothetical events. The Crimson Flower scenario being its own story wouldn't be that odd. 

I never said it was an insurmountable problem; just that it is a problem that would have to be addressed. 

Anyway, this Hyrule Warriors game looks like it could be very good. For a long time, I've wanted a Zelda that had grander battles, Hyrule Castle under siege and stuff like that; basically everything I thought Twilight Princess could've done to some extent. I never got Hyrule Warriors though. This game looks a lot more interesting to me. 

I'm SO excited for this. I really want to see and know more about the world of Hyrule before the great calamity, and a warrior-style spinoff is not what I would have thought of, but a really neat idea regardless. I wonder how many songs will be remixed, too!

Welp, considering I enjoyed the original Hyrule Warriors game, I think I'll enjoy this one too despite never playing Breath of the Wild (I watched an LP of it though).

I wonder how many of the mechanics will be the same, considering that the cast is mostly different or at least will have different movesets compared to HW's. If they fixed the whole "Don't get damaged" thing to FEW levels in the challenge maps, that will be great.

15 minutes ago, Sire said:

Welp, considering I enjoyed the original Hyrule Warriors game, I think I'll enjoy this one too despite never playing Breath of the Wild (I watched an LP of it though).

I wonder how many of the mechanics will be the same, considering that the cast is mostly different or at least will have different movesets compared to HW's. If they fixed the whole "Don't get damaged" thing to FEW levels in the challenge maps, that will be great.

"Don't get (too) damaged" isn't so bad. And it is rare to lose a S rank based on that. It's so pointless that they could remove it without actually making the games significantly easier.

Now, when a game tries to pull "don't get hit even once" challenges, that's just straight up unfun bullshit. I didn't finish my gear set in God of War 2018 just because of that in the Muspellheim trials. It's legit my only gripe with that game.

It will be pretty insane to see a musou game have more plot than an official Zelda game. Gotta wonder if this had been planned since all the way back in the first game's development.

Wait, I thought the sheikah slate was a one of a kind? How can there be two of them?

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

It will be pretty insane to see a musou game have more plot than an official Zelda game. Gotta wonder if this had been planned since all the way back in the first game's development.

Wait, I thought the sheikah slate was a one of a kind? How can there be two of them?

Hyrule Warriors already had more plot than an official Zelda game.

29 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

"Don't get (too) damaged" isn't so bad. And it is rare to lose a S rank based on that. It's so pointless that they could remove it without actually making the games significantly easier.

I don't know if they changed it for the Definitive Edition, but losing 3 Hearts in the Hyrule Warriors Wii U version made you automatically lose the S Rank. With the higher level maps, a single hit basically ruins the S-Rank run. I think I only 100% the normal and Master mode adventures, with the others being on various progression.
-- Looking it up, it does seem the Definitive Edition made things easier, so my comment about it is no longer valid.

Edited by Sire

This was exciting to wake up to! I hope to see playable Paya, but I'm really just happy to see more HW at all.

15 minutes ago, Sire said:

I don't know if they changed it for the Definitive Edition, but losing 3 Hearts in the Hyrule Warriors Wii U version made you automatically lose the S Rank. With the higher level maps, a single hit basically ruins the S-Rank run. I think I only 100% the normal and Master mode adventures, with the others being on various progression.
-- Looking it up, it does seem the Definitive Edition made things easier, so my comment about it is no longer valid.

Yeah, they made it easier. I've played the original and DE so I noticed. DE made it almost laughably easier, it's really hard to lose rank by damage in that version.

I intend to book a vacation week for this. Often do for Musuo games.

Anyway, I hope it fixes a few key issues from Hyrule Warriors:

1) Long, clunky, impractical combo chains (looking at you Fi and Midna)

2) The map being a confusing mess. Use the FE Warriors icons please!

3) Change or remove skulltula and heart piece hunts so that they don't kill the flow of gameplay for a random treasure hunt.

39 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

This is a total surprise. I figured they'd make a Hyrule Warriors 2 at some point, but not a straight-up mainline prequel to Breath of the Wild. This is kind of insane and...I'm excited for it.

In retrospect though, it makes perfect sense. The events of the Age of Calamity were a massive war story, and this lets them tell that in an existing framework.

If Koei decides to make some original characters for the story then there's a high chance they would do a very good job with it. They already proved they can properly handle the Zelda series in Hyrule Warriors. Its pretty clear that the team really likes and appreciates the Zelda series. 

Just look what they did with Ganondorf. On their very first try they managed to craft one of the best designs Ganondorf ever had. And the moveset and imagery associated with the Hyrule Warriors version of Ganondorf can all be linked back to various items and spells he once had in one of the official Zelda games. 

Their original characters were all on the mark too. Wizro and Volga felt as if they really belonged in the world of Hyrule as both were heavily tied to previous Zelda enemies. Wizro is what you get when you try to craft an actual character out of a Poe and Volga was clearly meant as a cross between Volvagia and Lu Bu. Cia and especially Lana felt a bit out of place in comparison but both worked fine enough, and I'd say Cia made for a very effective and refreshing villain. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I get the feeling that this will be more in the vein of Persona 5 Scramble than most other Warriors games. P5S is a proper sequel to Persona 5 but has only nine playable characters, so I think AoC will follow suit in exchange for being more story focused.

I think we can assume that Impa will be playable, which makes seven characters we know about. There's a prominent mini Guardian on the boxart, so it would be neat for one of them to be playable. Maybe we can get a playable Korok too? Hestu can defeat the forces of evil with the power of dance and Korok seeds!

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Maybe Zelda and Link share just the one? Or there could have been multiple in existence before the events of BotW, who knows. Even then, I don't remember anything from the game saying it was the only one in existence, but I finished the game over 2 years ago, so I don't remember all the plot details either.

3 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

*loud, excited squealing* Are you kidding me?! I have wanted a prequel to BotW since the game came out! This is amazing! AND we get more news November 29th according to the end of the video! AHHHHHHH!

I hate to be the bearer of good news, but we'll be getting more news September 29th, so it'll be sooner than that. Stay hyped!

10 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't really want this approach because the main reason most even want a Warriors 2 is to fix the roster.

They could have their cake and eat it too though. By unlocking Byleth and other game characters via history mode and free mode. Byleth themself could just be unlocked by... finishing the story.

I think you were confused with my comment, I was referring to "Nemesis War" (aka War of Heroes) 1000 years ago, rather than current era.

Correct me if I was wrong, but wasn't the 5 years war mostly a stalemate before Byleth showed up? Also different path featured very different grand situations. Most combat were fairly small skirmishes between pro and anti imperial houses in Kingdom and Alliance, it also seem that Ferdinand was leading some kind resistance movement, but none of the major battles yet.

IMO, Nemesis War is a much better topic

- It features massive battles over 50 years, in fact opening cutscene suggests each Nabatean and Elites could easily matches hundreds of regular human soldiers, a perfect fit for a Warrior game.

- It could cover many lore lose ends from Three Houses, such as nature about Sothis and Agarthan, or truth about Empire and Church.

- Some mechanism poorly fit into traditional FE, such as Nabatean and Demonic transformation would be perfect in a Warrior game since there is no balancing or pathfinding issue. Like we could actually control Rhea, Seteth, Flayn and their dragon forms.

- There are quite a few named characters already available for the era: 5 Saints, 4 Apostles, Emperor Wilhelm, Emperor Lycaon; Nemesis, 11 Elites, Agarthans. There could be a few more OC characters from the Empire, Church and TWISTD

- Dev does hints possible prequel in interview, like how Rhea's reasoning was not to be known yet.

I don't see where in the trailer indicating there were more than one?

Link's Slate in BoTW was exactly same one carried by Zelda, that's why it has all her pictures stored, for the memories quests.

When Link fell in battle, Zelda likely ordered surviving soldiers to seal Link and the Slate away together, hoping he could use it to unlock the powers when he returns. 

Edited by Timlugia