Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

I think AoC's story will play out a lot like DQ11, where you first go through the "disaster" route, then later on get to fix things via time travel. I don't think that will happen immediately upon AoC's release, I think it'll be tied to BotW2 via DLC. It'll be like "Hey, you know how AoC had a bittersweet ending six months ago? Well now's your chance to make things better!" So you'll get to experience your sad ending etc., and for fans who'd like to see a happier alternative, the DLC gives them that opportunity. It's hardly the first time the Zelda series has used time travel as a plot element, heck the original game was supposed to be a time travel story so it's long been part of the series' DNA, and AoC/BotW seems like a ripe opportunity to revisit the trope. But I expect we'll have to wait until BotW2 before we see any of that come to pass.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll get this eventually. Since I pre-ordered AC Valhalla I reckon I'll be putting plenty of my time into that. Games usually take me a week to finish to 100%, but AC games lately have taken longer. I had 80 hours in AC Odyssey without any DLC, so that's a good sign. I usually play games fast too.

I think this game is a cool concept and I think it's the first Hyrule Warriors game with new story content since the first game? I don't think any of the other versions had new story. Idk, only played the first one since the other releases just looked like the same game plus some new characters. It'll be fun to play this and I hope we'll get to see many of the swords Link can use in Breath of the Wild. Seems more likely to me than the ones he has in Hyrule Warriors, though I'd love to see the Magical Sword pop up again.

Stoked to play as Urbossa, she's easily the coolest addition to the Zelda universe in a while. Don't care much about playing as Zelda though since Hyrule Warriors's Zelda was amazing and I don't think anything could top her. I also saw the King of Hyrule (whatever his name is) is playable, he looks pretty fun too. I love how he wields that one greatsword from BotW.

The framerate is a bit of a concern. It could be that only the demo is struggling with it, but in Mipha's trailer the framerate of the Lizalfos army doesn't seem particularly good either. 

I'm generally a patient, wholesome guy about performance so that I notice such things is not really a good sign. 

On 11/7/2020 at 6:41 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

The framerate is a bit of a concern.

What I want to know is how come Koei Tecmo are having frame rate problems with this game, when the original on the less powerful Wii U didn't.

Also, because of the UK lockdown, I won't get to play this until December.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Koei Tecmo has a lot of weird and inexcusable performance issues.

Before one of the big updates, FE Warriors would randomly and frequently crash, which was really frustrating because all of your camp upgrades get saved after completion of the next map. It lead to me spamming that short first prologue map whenever I made major upgrades, just to ensure they weren't wiped.

And don't even get me started on the load times and performance issues in something as basic as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which were never fixed. Team Ninja is either a terminally incompetent developer, or they aren't given the time to fix their games.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Before one of the big updates, FE Warriors would randomly and frequently crash, which was really frustrating because all of your camp upgrades get saved after completion of the next map. It lead to me spamming that short first prologue map whenever I made major upgrades, just to ensure they weren't wiped.

A bit of trivia for future reference (assuming you ever need it again for some reason). You can also back out to the title screen (I mean the one before even file select) after any camp upgrades to have it save. I don't know why this works. But it does. I abused this.

Only three more days left until the game comes out. I've gotten all of the Korok seeds...haven't leveled everyone to max or done anything crazy with their weapons, yet. I also haven't done any difficulty other than normal. Aside of my trepidation for the time travel, I'm still really excited. I found a Blupee in the second mission, though I missed my chance to hit it because it caught me off guard.

Hey, there's a new launch trailer:

0:51 Well, there's goes my theory of the hooded character being Twinrova.

I have to say, this has alleviated some of my concerns, as it looks like the Calamity will be playing out as intended after all. However, if that's the case, then why have the guardian be a time-traveler in the first place? Is it just because it didn't appear in the memories in BOTW?

My bro pointed out that the scene near the end with Awakened Zelda leading the army of soldiers plus at least one Divine Beast suggests an alternate story playing out. Remember that in the original story, Zelda's power didn't awaken until the Divine Beasts were all corrupted by Ganon and the soldiers driven to the Akkala Citadel.

Spoiler

There are apparently at least two endings, so we may very well be seeing an alternate outcome. For those who want their bittersweet tea regardless, it's possible Link may still end up being wounded and sent to the Shrine of Resurrection, but the King and Champions might survive, and Zelda might still succeed in sealing Ganon away for 100 years. So, the Hyrule Link wakes up in 100 years after that ending may be radically different from the one in BotW. The new future may still have a standing army, and we may see some changes to the tribes such as Queen Mipha ruling the Zora. The Divine Beasts will probably still be corrupted and need cleansing, but now the Champions, save for Daruk and possibly Mipha, will have passed their powers on to successors, and the New Champions will turn out to be exactly that, allowing them to play a larger role than before.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I think that scene with Awakened Zelda (with my limited knowledge of BoTW) may play out like...

Spoiler

Zelda is driven away from the castle for whatever reason, and this is the last push to save Hyrule.
-- So, it's essentially the "final battle" with Awakened Zelda, but it ends with her being locked into battle with Ganon and Link deep in slumber until BoTW starts.
--- What happens to the generic soldiers and armies are unknown.

* * * * EDIT * * * *

NOTICE: LEAKED STORY INFO IN SPOILER BELOW - PLOT AND ENDING SPOILERS
-- So I did some research since the leaks are out. I discovered...

Spoiler

Welp, despite everything, looks like AoC will end up being a happy ending. There's an ending cutscene leaked already (didn't watch it).

AoC is apparently set in an alternative timeline. So, while it may mimic the events of pre-BoTW, it doesn't follow that path.
-- Time Travel as a plot point is the main thing of contention.

Now, I don't know how well they pulled it off or if it's just another excuse, but I'm seeing angry posts about "AoC doesn't deliver on the tragic, canon ending." 
-- While it sorta sucks that there isn't a "dark timeline," as I'm not too attached to BoTW, I'm not as affected by this news. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game regardless when I manage to get it for myself.

Edited by Sire

Spoiler

Essentially, they didn't commit to the actual bad ending that occurred, and instead made an alternate timeline, likely with the timeline that Eggsy came from being the one we got to know previously. I've seen arguments that they actually didn't mislead us and never said it was an actual prequel to begin with, but...let's face it, they pretty much tricked us. The game'll still be good, and the story should be serviceable from what I've seen, but it's pretty weak that they did this.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Lord_Brand said:

My bro pointed out that the scene near the end with Awakened Zelda leading the army of soldiers plus at least one Divine Beast suggests an alternate story playing out. Remember that in the original story, Zelda's power didn't awaken until the Divine Beasts were all corrupted by Ganon and the soldiers driven to the Akkala Citadel.

Reveal hidden contents

There are apparently at least two endings, so we may very well be seeing an alternate outcome. For those who want their bittersweet tea regardless, it's possible Link may still end up being wounded and sent to the Shrine of Resurrection, but the King and Champions might survive, and Zelda might still succeed in sealing Ganon away for 100 years. So, the Hyrule Link wakes up in 100 years after that ending may be radically different from the one in BotW. The new future may still have a standing army, and we may see some changes to the tribes such as Queen Mipha ruling the Zora. The Divine Beasts will probably still be corrupted and need cleansing, but now the Champions, save for Daruk and possibly Mipha, will have passed their powers on to successors, and the New Champions will turn out to be exactly that, allowing them to play a larger role than before.

Drat; I didn't notice that Divine Beast. Now my concerns have returned and are elevated tenfold. 

12 hours ago, Dai said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Essentially, they didn't commit to the actual bad ending that occurred, and instead made an alternate timeline, likely with the timeline that Eggsy came from being the one we got to know previously. I've seen arguments that they actually didn't mislead us and never said it was an actual prequel to begin with, but...let's face it, they pretty much tricked us. The game'll still be good, and the story should be serviceable from what I've seen, but it's pretty weak that they did this.

Spoiler

I agree about the tricking us part. Regardless of whether or not it was technically false advertising, the marketing was definitely misleading. It doesn't make any sense to me why time travel or changing events would even have been considered; it was clearly marketed with the idea of being a prequel in mind, so that's clearly what they thought would draw fans to the game, so why didn't they just make a prequel?!

If this game really is an alternate scenario and not an actual prologue to Breath of the Wild, then I'm not getting it. Don't interpret that as me being petty, because I say this not out of frustration or disappointment (though I'm certainly feeling those emotions), but out of disinterest. I'm not normally interested in Warriors gameplay; what drew me to this game was the idea of experiencing the Calamity; experiencing a prologue to BOTW, with all the story elements that were only alluded to in ruins, journal entries and flashbacks. This is Star Trek: Enterprise and a bunch of other early-to-mid 2000s TV shows all over again: I didn't want time-travel nonsense reimagining of a story for which I never got to see the original version; I want to see the original version. 

Edited by vanguard333

Except that you still get to see the original version. Then once we've gone through all the heartache and suffering, we can go back and change it. Personally, I think the initial route was less interesting anyway; when they first started showing more of BotW, I was stoked for an adventure where we'd get to meet allies (the Champions) and battle bosses with them before banding together to take on Ganon. Learning early in the actual game that they're all dead crushed my hopes, and from then on I had to go in with a grudging acceptance that we won't get the cool things I thought the trailer was promising us. So, maybe you're disappointed with the direction AoC's taking, but I was disappointed with the direction BotW took, and it looks like they're giving us an opportunity to fix things in AoC using methods that are perfectly justified within the series' continuity. I'm more excited for AoC now.

26 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

*snip*

Except...that isn’t what’s happening at all. You don’t watch them fail and die, and go back to avert it, unless you mean BotW itself and then this game’s intro. You just go back and do the new timeline or whatever.

I’ll still play and enjoy the game, but I’m disappointed that they had to lie about the premise to sell the game.

8 hours ago, Dai said:

Except...that isn’t what’s happening at all. You don’t watch them fail and die, and go back to avert it, unless you mean BotW itself and then this game’s intro. You just go back and do the new timeline or whatever.

I’ll still play and enjoy the game, but I’m disappointed that they had to lie about the premise to sell the game.

That's really disappointing.

I won't; mainly because the prequel premise is the only thing that made me excited for the game at all, but also because I don't want to support deceptive tactics like this.

Is it just me, or does this decision the developers and marketers have made just makes no sense at all? If they thought that an actual prequel with all the tragedy and everything wouldn't sell, then why lie? Why not say from the get-go that it's a reimagining of events or something like that? The fact that they marketed this game on being a prequel shows they knew that's what would interest a lot of people, so why didn't they just make a prequel?! It would've been easier to do and would've taken less time, they still could've been creative about it, and it wouldn't disappoint fans! From both a developer's perspective and a business perspective, the decision makes no sense to me. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The fact that they marketed this game on being a prequel shows they knew that's what would interest a lot of people, so why didn't they just make a prequel?! It would've been easier to do and would've taken less time, they still could've been creative about it, and it wouldn't disappoint fans! From both a developer's perspective and a business perspective, the decision makes no sense to me. 

Firstly there being some time travel shenanigans shouldn't really be a surprise. Eggboy was already revealed in the demo so its much harder for most people to argue they didn't know what they would be getting. 

I suspect that after the team had already settled on a BOTW Warriors that they suddenly realized some limiting implications. The number of playable character or the Warriors formula not entirely being build around losing. It be weird to destroy a thousand enemies and then have everyone die in a cutscene. There's a reason most Dynasty Warriors have a kingdom's story end before their decline and fall set in. But that's just speculation. 

I can live with it. I'd have prefered a straight up 100% prequel but its fine.