Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Firstly there being some time travel shenanigans shouldn't really be a surprise. Eggboy was already revealed in the demo so its much harder for most people to argue they didn't know what they would be getting. 

I suspect that after the team had already settled on a BOTW Warriors that they suddenly realized some limiting implications. The number of playable character or the Warriors formula not entirely being build around losing. It be weird to destroy a thousand enemies and then have everyone die in a cutscene. There's a reason most Dynasty Warriors have a kingdom's story end before their decline and fall set in. But that's just speculation. 

I can live with it. I'd have prefered a straight up 100% prequel but its fine. 

It wouldn't be that far outside the norm. I remember playing DW8XL aghast at how many times I slaughtered thousands of enemies, only for my character to meet their historical end to some rando's arrows in a cutscene thereafter.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It wouldn't be that far outside the norm. I remember playing DW8XL aghast at how many times I slaughtered thousands of enemies, only for my character to meet their historical end to some rando's arrows in a cutscene thereafter.

Hehe sure but that's usually just one character rather than the entire kingdom and everyone in it. Also in some cases like Xiuhou Yuan its deliberately presented as a bit of a fluke. 

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Probably for the best. Its really hard to top the original Hyrule Warriors and not every individual Zelda lends itself so well to Warriors like BOTW.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Probably for the best. Its really hard to top the original Hyrule Warriors and not every individual Zelda lends itself so well to Warriors like BOTW.

Right. I think it's just non-commital. Nintendo generally doesn't want their IP being associated with anything other than quality.

I would say that every Fire Emblem lends itself well to Warriors, but it concerns me that they may not be keeping the potential for such in mind.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Firstly there being some time travel shenanigans shouldn't really be a surprise. Eggboy was already revealed in the demo so its much harder for most people to argue they didn't know what they would be getting. 

Here's the thing: I didn't play the demo because I've been busy with two things: 1) University, and 2) finishing Mario 3D All-Stars (I completed 64 and Sunshine while 100% completing the former, so now I'm starting Galaxy). I did hear though about the egg guardian time-travelling in the demo and, if you look back at previous pages of this thread, I did voice my concerns about what it potentially entailed. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I suspect that after the team had already settled on a BOTW Warriors that they suddenly realized some limiting implications. The number of playable character or the Warriors formula not entirely being build around losing. It be weird to destroy a thousand enemies and then have everyone die in a cutscene. There's a reason most Dynasty Warriors have a kingdom's story end before their decline and fall set in. But that's just speculation. 

Why would it have to be a cutscene? Do what Shadow of the Colossus did and have it be a hopeless timed boss fight; that way the character dying is organic story & gameplay integration. In fact, the Warriors gameplay would've been perfect for the second-to-last mission being Link defending Zelda from a bunch of Guardians that just get more numerous and overwhelm him, as well as a final mission of Zelda alone with her sealing powers vs the calamity; compensating for being alone by being able to one-hit KO most enemies by erasing the malice.

I more suspect that they either planned a prequel and got cold feet, with someone thinking, "Who wants to play a game where they lose? What if people get mad and demand refunds? (to which I would say anyone buying the game should know going in that they'll lose)", or they thought for some stupid reason that it being a canon prequel would be too limiting, which is utter nonsense. 

EDIT: I just read up about the game's story and the original characters. I will say that, as much as I'm not a fan of the alternate timeline idea, I do think it could be "salvaged" for me in the sequel with something along the lines of the following idea I came up with:

In BOTW2, the Yiga Clan has a new leader, who also goes by Master Kohga, but he is skinny and almost the opposite in personality, and he himself freely admits that "Kohga" is just a name given to each new leader of the clan. 

When I say different in personality, I mean it: he takes an active role in the story, he's cunning and completely no-nonsense outside of a bit of trolling, his every expression is laced with contempt for Hyrule, and he is wary of Ganondorf and says that Ganondorf is not to be taken lightly despite working for Ganondorf, and he himself says that he's only aligned with Ganon to see his own ambition come about. Said ambition is the complete destruction of Hyrule, as he sees Hyrule as fundamentally flawed and in need of being destroyed, as it's rooted in a perpetual middle ages and cycle of destruction. He is extremely well-learned; possessing (incomplete) knowledge of Ganon's original identity as well as the Curse of Demise and the reincarnation of Hylia and the Hero, and he even uses these as part of his "proof" that Hyrule should be destroyed. He is also extremely competent and pragmatic: not only is he able to use Shiekah tech for teleporting and telekinetically moving spiked balls, but he is also a master swordsman able to dual-wield ancient blades that he keeps hidden in his sleeve. 

He is also an amputee, with it being revealed that parts of his body have been replaced with Shiekah tech, and here's where the "salvaging" comes in: it is eventually revealed that this Kohga is in fact the original timeline's version of Sooga (the Yiga second-in-command with two swords), with his injuries having been sustained during the Calamity. 

Basically, picture a mix of these two characters:

Spoiler

Daily Debate: What Are Your Hopes for the Yiga Clan in Hyrule Warriors: Age  of Calamity? - Zelda DungeonNaruto - Obito Uchiha / Characters - TV Tropes

What do you guys think? Would something like this be potentially neat to see? If there's already a new Yiga Clan antagonist, it would probably take less than a day to program in a reference to Sooga. 

Edited by vanguard333

Its kinda neat to see that the regions in Age of Calamity are handled the same way as in Breath of the Wild. Zora's domain and Gerudo valley steal the show while the Rito and Gorons must make due with a lesser experience. 

Gerudo valley has the tight friendship between Zelda and Urbosa, the introduction of the Yiga clan and urbosa seemingly turning hostile. With Zora's domain you have the friendship between Link and Mipha, a massive attack on the domain, a lynel and the need to protect baby Sidon. 

Death mountain is functional I guess. There's no real reason for it to be a stage other then the area is crawling with monsters. Not terribly interesting but it works. Rito village however gets a case of the same brain virus that affected the Fates royals in FE Warriors. The royals think everyone kidnapped their little sister while the Rito think everyone is a bokoblin. 

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Nintendo generally doesn't want their IP being associated with anything other than quality.

Which is funny because I'd say that BotW is a six out of ten game at best.

Anyway, does this have an adventure mode like the first one, or is the story mode all there is, and is the framerate as bad as it is in the demo?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Which is funny because I'd say that BotW is a six out of ten game at best.

Does this have an adventure map like the first one, or is the story mode all there is?

There's a how much I liked it rating and a quality rating.

In a subjective sense, I would consider BotW to be a 7/10 game. Because I don't like survival mechanics. I don't like weapon breaking or stamina meters. 

In an objective sense, BotW is an immaculately crafted, quality game. It is a sandbox that offers immense freedom. The ways you can interact with the physics of the world are insane and people are still discovering new things.

It's a technical marvel. It just may or may not be one's cup of tea. 

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

BotW is an immaculately crafted, quality game.

I can't agree with that, even in an objective sense. The fact that it strips out everything in the games that came before it, diminishes quite a lot.

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It is a sandbox that offers immense freedom.

It's a sandbox that consists of empty space full of nothing. The only thing immense about it is the boredom in travelling across it.

7 minutes ago, Turkey-legger said:

…I just spoiled myself on the story.

Koei Tecmo has a LOT of explaining to do.

Yes, they do. They said this game would be a prequel to Breath of the Wild, that we'd experience the events of the Calamity. This... this was some sick prank akin to a can of snakes labeled, "peanut brittle". 

They have a lot of questions to answer; first question obviously being: "Where's the real game?!"

Edited by vanguard333

48 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yes, they do. They said this game would be a prequel to Breath of the Wild, that we'd experience the events of the Calamity. This... this was some sick prank akin to a can of snakes labeled, "peanut brittle". 

They have a lot of questions to answer; first question obviously being: "Where's the real game?!"

Now I’m kinda worried for if they did this for Three Houses.

Because who wants to actually let these prior events actually happen in (God forbid) a prequel?

9 hours ago, Turkey-legger said:

…I just spoiled myself on the story.

Koei Tecmo has a LOT of explaining to do.

Hey now, let's not forget; Nintendo was heavily involved this time, up to and including the story. I'm not saying don't leave out Koei Tecmo, but don't forget Nintendo, either.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Hey now, let's not forget; Nintendo was heavily involved this time, up to and including the story. I'm not saying don't leave out Koei Tecmo, but don't forget Nintendo, either.

Very true, and the false advertising that kept saying this game was going to be an actual prequel was also Nintendo's doing. So, yeah; bot have A LOT of explaining to do.

Spoiler

What sort of bullshit do you think the writers are gonna spew to justify the future Champions being shoehorned into the past?

• "If the regular Champions died, it wouldn't make sense for them to be playable anymore"
  • "We couldn't think of a way for future characters to be playable without a time travel plot"

I don't really think the false advertisement argument holds water anymore. The demo already revealed time travel was in the cards. Now not everyone got the demo, like Vanguard but the information was still put out there in the open weeks in advance. 

I'm not entirely pleased with the outcome but I went in plenty of prepared. I can understand why they went this direction. A pure BOTW prequel had some limitation that Koei might wanted to adress. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:06 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

It's a sandbox that consists of empty space full of nothing. The only thing immense about it is the boredom in travelling across it.

This is for sure wrong on alot of different levels. The game has plenty of events and such around the world. 

44 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't really think the false advertisement argument holds water anymore. The demo already revealed time travel was in the cards. Now not everyone got the demo, like Vanguard but the information was still put out there in the open weeks in advance. 

From Nintendo's Age of Calamity website:

"Experience the events of the Great Calamity"

"Join the struggle that brought Hyrule to its knees."

"The Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity game is the only way to see firsthand what happened 100 years ago."

Yes, Egg Guardian going back in time was in the demo, but everything they kept saying about the game kept saying it was going to be a prequel to Breath of the Wild. I'd say that the false advertisement argument very much holds water and that there's no way around it; it's just a fact that Nintendo falsely advertised the game.