Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Link and Zelda's movesets both incorporate it. Link using bombs, while Zelda uses Stasis.

Unless you can use both character in the same time same weapon separately rather than pair up, I guess it is still justifiable as Zelda "loaned" it to Link...

It's also possible you are limited with canon weapon in the story mode, but can freely choose in free/adventure/historical mode.

Edited by Timlugia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Unless you can use both character in the same time same weapon separately rather than pair up, I guess it is still justifiable as Zelda "loaned" it to Link...

It's also possible you are limited with canon weapon in the story mode, but can freely choose in free/adventure/historical mode.

It’s possible there are multiple Sheikah Slates, and only one arguably survived the Calamity. When Link gets it in BotW, Zelda calls it “a” Sheikah Slate, rather than “the”. It’s a mere technicality, but you never know.

I don't think the Sheika slate is one of a kind. It's probably just something that only certain people get to have. The only reason I think that is because Purah turned young because of an anti aging rune and the only way runes can be used is through the sheika slate so she must have one of her own to be able to use a rune.

11 hours ago, Timlugia said:

I think you were confused with my comment, I was referring to "Nemesis War" (aka War of Heroes) 1000 years ago, rather than current era.

Correct me if I was wrong, but wasn't the 5 years war mostly a stalemate before Byleth showed up? Also different path featured very different grand situations. Most combat were fairly small skirmishes between pro and anti imperial houses in Kingdom and Alliance, it also seem that Ferdinand was leading some kind resistance movement, but none of the major battles yet.

IMO, Nemesis War is a much better topic

- It features massive battles over 50 years, in fact opening cutscene suggests each Nabatean and Elites could easily matches hundreds of regular human soldiers, a perfect fit for a Warrior game.

- It could cover many lore lose ends from Three Houses, such as nature about Sothis and Agarthan, or truth about Empire and Church.

- Some mechanism poorly fit into traditional FE, such as Nabatean and Demonic transformation would be perfect in a Warrior game since there is no balancing or pathfinding issue. Like we could actually control Rhea, Seteth, Flayn and their dragon forms.

- There are quite a few named characters already available for the era: 5 Saints, 4 Apostles, Emperor Wilhelm, Emperor Lycaon; Nemesis, 11 Elites, Agarthans. There could be a few more OC characters from the Empire, Church and TWISTD

- Dev does hints possible prequel in interview, like how Rhea's reasoning was not to be known yet.

I don't see where in the trailer indicating there were more than one?

Link's Slate in BoTW was exactly same one carried by Zelda, that's why it has all her pictures stored, for the memories quests.

When Link fell in battle, Zelda likely ordered surviving soldiers to seal Link and the Slate away together, hoping he could use it to unlock the powers when he returns. 

I didn't misunderstand. I'm just saying that the 5 year interval would be the best place for a canon Warriors game because it fleshes out new, relevant story and allows them to use all EXISTING character assets that are already on the engine, allowing people to play as characters they know and love.

Historical lore is best left vague in this franchise, because it's a source of mystique. And well, the Elites are such a small part of the current 3H story that they don't even get unique character models. They're good fodder for generic NPC officers.

An Age of Nemesis multi-battle dlc (like what Shadows of Valentia has for the Deliverance) could serve the old war just fine and allow you to play as:

Spoiler

Seiros/Rhea, Nemesis, Seteth, and Flayn

It would also unlock Rhea for the free mode and history mode.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if weapons shared between different characters will be a thing.
It's not unheard of in Mosou games in the first place, and in the later Adventure maps of Hyrule Warriors, there were tons of instances of characters using the weapons of other characters. So I really don't think they are opposed to that idea.
Plus, it fits with Link in BotW using virtually anything he can get his hands on as a weapon.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Also it seems Gerudo and Zora will have their own mooks which is neat.

That "good" peons were restricted to Hylians and Gorons in HW1 felt too limited for me. I understand why no Twili- that'd be a lot of OC work to make them into fighters. And no Nabooru likely is what excluded the Gerudo. But the Zora should've had peons there. The only issue would've been TP vs. OoT Zora, but given Ruto was playable and TP Lake Hylia wasn't around, that'd easily would've been resolved in OoT's favor.

And thankfully, with BotW actually giving us Shiekah communities and not merely two individuals at most in game, this HW and any future HWs, be they canon or grand crossovers, will be able to have grunt Shiekahs.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if weapons shared between different characters will be a thing.
It's not unheard of in Mosou games in the first place, and in the later Adventure maps of Hyrule Warriors, there were tons of instances of characters using the weapons of other characters. So I really don't think they are opposed to that idea.
Plus, it fits with Link in BotW using virtually anything he can get his hands on as a weapon.

Wait, I thought that was a bug? 

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait, I thought that was a bug? 

The player being able to swap weapons was a bug. Enemy officer using the weapons of other characters in the DLC Adventure maps was very much intended. You would often see Cia and Lana as well as Zelda and Sheik using each other's weapons, for example.

Edited by BrightBow

I wonder if there will be a major villain of some kind (besides Calamity Ganon obviously) or if we'll just be fighting hordes of his minions. Since there's the Yiga Clan, maybe we'll see Master Kohga's predecessor? Perhaps he'll be less of a joke than Kohga?

48 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The player being able to swap weapons was a bug. Enemy officer using the weapons of other characters in the DLC Adventure maps was very much intended. You would often see Cia and Lana as well as Zelda and Sheik using each other's weapons, for example.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that now!

That was hilarious to see. I wonder why they would do that, though?

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I just hope that BotW weapon degradation stays FAR away from this game.

That's exactly what I thought of when this game was announced. I really hope they don't implement something like that because it wouldn't make sense at all. I just wanna hit monsters with a soup ladle and not have it break. 

However, FEW didn't have weapon durability, so I don't think we'd actually have to realistically worry about anything like that in this game.

4 hours ago, BrightBow said:

The best example of course being big hulky Ganondorf using the umbrella of the bug princess

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I wonder if there will be a major villain of some kind (besides Calamity Ganon obviously) or if we'll just be fighting hordes of his minions. Since there's the Yiga Clan, maybe we'll see Master Kohga's predecessor? Perhaps he'll be less of a joke than Kohga?

Kohga does mention his ultimate technique being invented by his ''father's mother's father''. A character who's exactly that could be a cute reference to that line of dialogue. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Kohga does mention his ultimate technique being invented by his ''father's mother's father''. A character who's exactly that could be a cute reference to that line of dialogue. 

That could definitely work; having Kohga's great-grandfather in the game as a major antagonist and a more serious and overall better Yiga Clan boss than his grandson. There's a lot of potential there. 

Side Note: For some reason, when I think, "more serious Yiga Clan leader", I think of a Zelda/Yiga Clan version of this guy from Naruto:

Spoiler

Naruto - Obito Uchiha / Characters - TV Tropes

Might be the mask, might be that I'm thinking, "no-nonsense ninja villain" and he springs to mind because of that. 

Edited by vanguard333

Just saw the trailer and it looks pretty cool. I have not touched Hyrule Warriors very much since the 3DS days and I have not gotten very far either, and I still need to play Breath of the Wild, so I need to get to it.

What I am wondering about is whether or not Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is like Dynasty Warriors 9 where it is also an open world game at the same time.

But yeah, if Legend of Zelda can get an open world musou game, I definitely want to see Fire Emblem getting an open world musou game too!

While I understand part of BotW's appeal lay in the open world, as has been stated, DW9 failed miserably at Musou-open world integration. (Although I did read one person's opinion that part of the issue is starting is in China's northern plains, and that the southern areas were less bland aesthetically.)

Open-world could work in BotW because of a lack of direness. Not to say there was no urgency in BotW, the big evil could break free any day soon. But you could roam Hyrule, and outside of some monsters minding their own business, you'd have no sense of the dire straits the world is in. You can visit the towns and almost entirely ignore the presence of the Divine Beasts too, what was the threat of the Rito one?

How would you get that  atmosphere in Age of Calamity? Presumably the game takes place over a short time, a year or a few months? And Ganon's forces are surging everywhere in this time? Sure, give Drauk a day to explore the jungles of Faron and figure out why Lurelin Village exists, he totally isn't needed in Akkala to fend off 100000 Lizalfos attacking a fortress manned by only 7000 desperate hero troops.

I don't imagine it was an excuse in DW9, but Romance of the Three Kingdoms takes place over decades. Squeezing in some time roaming as a soldier of Wu between setting Cao Cao's world on fire and sending Guan Yu to the realm where a war god belongs is feasible in a sense. Age of Calamity... not so much.

Regardless of the direction they take, I'd be excited to see any changes to the formulas we've come to expect. I liked Hyrule Warriors a good deal, but if they just gave us another of those with a BotW skin, it would be pretty disappointing. They mentioned a focus on 1v1 combat? That sounds...antithetical to the warriors experience but yeah let's see it. Give me an encounter that I don't button mash my way through, or have me patiently wait for a weak point gauge to appear. 

15 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I didn't misunderstand. I'm just saying that the 5 year interval would be the best place for a canon Warriors game because it fleshes out new, relevant story and allows them to use all EXISTING character assets that are already on the engine, allowing people to play as characters they know and love.

Yet, there wasn't even a named enemy character in BotW besides Master Kohga, who wasn't born in AoC era, yet they made the era into a Warrior game without an issue.

Ganon might not even be playable in history mode since he's not corporeal.

Only really solid characters we have are 5 champions and Zelda, and none on the enemy sides.

We also already getting OC characters like the Eggbot Guardian. (I wouldn't consider Impa or Purah solid characters since they only have few lines and never show carrying weapons in BotW, but they are likely playable with unique moves)

In that sense, Nemesis War would already have more characters to use, especially if we counted Agarthans, and almost certain Emperor Wilhelm,. As for OC character, likely ancestor of each crest carrying Black Eagle except Dorothea, and they were probably lieutenants to each Saints.

Historical lore is best left vague in this franchise, because it's a source of mystique. And well, the Elites are such a small part of the current 3H story that they don't even get unique character models. They're good fodder for generic NPC officers.

Wouldn't the historical vagueness an equal argument against Zelda? Zelda games is famously known to be vague about events outside the games.

I remember hearing exactly same argument before against having a BotW prequel, but here we are...

4 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Yet, there wasn't even a named enemy character in BotW besides Master Kohga, who wasn't born in AoC era, yet they made the era into a Warrior game without an issue.

Ganon might not even be playable in history mode since he's not corporeal.

Only really solid characters we have are 5 champions and Zelda, and none on the enemy sides.

We also already getting OC characters like the Eggbot Guardian. (I wouldn't consider Impa or Purah solid characters since they only have few lines and never show carrying weapons in BotW, but they are likely playable with unique moves)

In that sense, Nemesis War would already have more characters to use, especially if we counted Agarthans, and almost certain Emperor Wilhelm,. As for OC character, likely ancestor of each crest carrying Black Eagle except Dorothea, and they were probably lieutenants to each Saints.

Wouldn't the historical vagueness an equal argument against Zelda? Zelda games is famously known to be vague about events outside the games.

I remember hearing exactly same argument before against having a BotW prequel, but here we are...

For a Zelda game, 5 champions plus Zelda and Link is a lot. Zelda games work on comparatively small casts of major characters. And given how demanded the champions are, they're enough to sell a game on their own. (Let alone anyone they might introduce to the story).

Even if they don't introduce new characters, that still puts them in a comparable position to their other recent story Musuo, Persona 5 Scramble. And Hyrule Warriors already set a precedent for multiple moveset characters.

FE and Zelda are pretty non-comparable. FE is an RPG that is story heavy and keeps its lore pretty distant. Zelda is an adventure franchise that is story-lite and gameplay heavy. The reason why people were clamoring to see more of the story before Breath of the Wild is that Breath of the Wild occurs long after the interesting story took place. Whereas the story of 3 Houses IS the interesting story, and the game actively downplays Nemesis by saying "oh, he was just a bandit."

14 hours ago, Perkilator said:

If that baby Guardian isn’t playable, imma throw some hands.

I think it might be to some extent, especially since it has a place on the box art. Why else would they put it there, y'know? If it's not playable, then perhaps it's some integral part of the plot? Also, I think it might be one of Koei Tecmo's original characters, so there might be a good chance for it to be playable.