Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

Remember that in Hyrule Warriors some characters got alternative weapons that change their playstyles, so even if the character cast may be small in Age of Calamity, they can still have a variety of movesets based off of their weapons.
-- I think there were 13 total characters in vanilla HW launch, expanded to 16 with the update (Cia, Volga, Wizzro), and further with all the DLC characters. Then, Link alone got like 4 weapons with different playstyles. Zelda, Impa, and Lana also got weapons to mess around with.

Hyrule Warriors was great because of all the unique playstyles (even if some of them were not fun to play). FE Warriors had the tactical aspect of it, but went all-in with the class-based movesets instead of making a unique one per character. I understood why it happened that way, but would have liked to seen more unique and fun movesets.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I do really hope BOTW Warriors ends up including some villains. FE Warriors was a game largely without villains with even the lame dark mage brigade mostly being absent. As a result its story mode was inherently unexciting. 

Yeah; some villains would be good. The thing is that the only sentient creatures that actually work for Ganondorf are the Yiga Clan. Master Kohga's great-grandfather is an option, but since you said villains, I'm guessing you mean more than one villain besides Calamity Ganon. 

I could see there being a team of "Anti-Champions", monsters with unique designs and personalities. Like a Darknut Captain who rivals Link, or an Iron Knuckle who rivals Urbosa or Daruk. Maybe Dark Link could be worked in? I wouldn't be surprised if Dark copies of the heroes showed up.

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I could see there being a team of "Anti-Champions", monsters with unique designs and personalities. Like a Darknut Captain who rivals Link, or an Iron Knuckle who rivals Urbosa or Daruk. Maybe Dark Link could be worked in? I wouldn't be surprised if Dark copies of the heroes showed up.

Isn't "anti-champions" what the Blight Ganons were supposed to be? 

I suppose the Yiga are the only existing faction to provide antagonists.

But if they just show up as officers in monster armies, it kinda undermines the point that they are all dumbasses devoting themselves to a mindless evil that doesn't care about them, doesn't aim for anything that benefits them and probably doesn't even know they exist.

Still, the Yiga could most certainly be their own army and serve as an active adversary.

Ahhh, the joy of writing prequel stories. It's no doubt gonna be a mess.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Isn't "anti-champions" what the Blight Ganons were supposed to be? 

Those were more Champion killers designed to take control of the Divine Beasts. I'm thinking a group of monster leaders who serve as rivals of sorts, opponents closer to the Champions in size and ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a friendly reminder that today they'll be showing an extensive stream of the game. It should begin in 45 minutes. 

For those that are interested. 

Though it seems to be primarily in Japanese so how useful it will be is questionable. If its really in Japanese without subtitles then that would be a really bizarre choice. The game is too big to leave everyone but the Japanese in the dark and they advertised them giving new information at this time to the western audience too. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I know I'm very late with this, but I may as well give my two cents.

Admittedly I was hoping for a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 before a Hyrule Warriors 2, as I felt like there was a lot more they could do in a FEW2 compared to a HW2. Still, this does look pretty fun, and it will be nice to actually play through the back story of Breath of the Wild.

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

I know I'm very late with this, but I may as well give my two cents.

Admittedly I was hoping for a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 before a Hyrule Warriors 2, as I felt like there was a lot more they could do in a FEW2 compared to a HW2. Still, this does look pretty fun, and it will be nice to actually play through the back story of Breath of the Wild.

Agreed. But hey, this is a good sign for the potential of a FEW2. 

From a gameplay standpoint, I think HW has a lot of flaws that could be addressed in Age of Calamity. Namely its confusing map/mini-map, overly long combo animations, etc. FE Warriors has much better gameplay even if it grossly disappoints in the 'celebrating its franchise' department.

I disagree with their decision to demo the game with level 1 characters. I'm sure the developers could have set any conditions for the demo, and it makes Link's moveset seem a bit shallow with such a short combo string. One thing that I liked was how the Cryostasis can be used as a counter. The later versions of Hyrule Warriors already introduced item counters to generic enemies, so it's not a new mechanic, I'm just surprised at such an elegant, true to the source material use for cryostasis. Well, true to the source material, minus the requirement of having a body of water to use it in. Material drops floating over to you rather than requiring you to physically touch them is a much needed QoL adjustment.

In all, I think what we saw was the same Hyrule Warriors gameplay with a new coat of paint, which is disappointing. Making Keep Bosses bigger and tougher seems like a good call but I doubt defeating them will become anything other than routine down the road. Also disappointed that they show the baby guardian but give no indication what his purpose is because his segment is overshadowed by the introduction of Runes and Impa. If they're giving Link a little companion, you'd think it would be somebody that could speak for him, like the fairy in the previous game. Impa is okay. Definitely has the vibe of an OC, even though she's technically not. The old Impa was a cooler take on the character in my imo. Sort of a cross between the Ocarina and Skyward sword designs but still totally unique in terms of gameplay, while this impa just feels like something designed for Paya grafted onto another character. Hopefully Paya can still be an unlockable clone character.

Edited by Glennstavos

PayaImpa's moveset looked really nice. Def looking forward to playing as her. 

Tbh, Link's moveset didn't look as interesting as I would have liked. His movement seemed slower than I would have thought, although the smooth transition from sword to bow looked awesome.

The overall presentation looks pretty spectacular. Good frame rates and solidly high resolution (from what I can tell) make it seem like they put quite bit of work to ensure a smooth experience.

Seeing the footage from today has me more hyped than I had been. I'm looking forward to see more gameplay from more characters though, like Mipha and Urbosa.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

If they're giving Link a little companion, you'd think it would be somebody that could speak for him, like the fairy in the previous game.

I think it's not attached to Link specifically. It looks like you can attach it to anyone and it will let them use runes. They start using runes in the footage right after getting the mini guardian, and in the Champions Unite trailer you can see Daruk using stasis.

17 minutes ago, Florete said:

I think it's not attached to Link specifically. It looks like you can attach it to anyone and it will let them use runes. They start using runes in the footage right after getting the mini guardian, and in the Champions Unite trailer you can see Daruk using stasis.

This sounds totally awesome and if that's true I'm totally looking forward to that!

Also, their movesets look nice.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

That new Impa moveset looks badass.

7 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Young Impa gives me life and I want her in Smash XP

I'd be fine with Impa replacing Sheik, myself. Then we'd have the four most major Zelda characters in Smash: Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf.

I never played Hyrule Warriors, but I can say that the gameplay for this game looks interesting. I like that there is a fair bit of thought for how and when to use the different runes.

Paya's combat looks really neat; it reminds me of the Yiga Clan and Monk Maz Koshia in a good way. But what is she doing 100 years in the past? (Whispers in ear) …You're kidding; that's Impa? I'm familiar with family resemblance; it doesn't happen in my family but I'm familiar with it as a concept, but this seems less like family resemblance and more like family asset reuse. 

…Just kidding; I knew immediately that it was Impa and I honestly didn't even see the resemblance with Paya at first. 

Anyway, I also really liked the new trailer; it looks like we may be able to take part in the siege of the Akkala Citadel. That should be exciting and heartbreaking. 

12 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

This sounds totally awesome and if that's true I'm totally looking forward to that!

Also, their movesets look nice.

Well, it seems that prediction was wrong. The new gameplay showed Impa and Daruk using runes while the guardian was still following Link. So it probably does follow him exclusively, but we still don't know its purpose.