Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So it seems that master Kohga is conformed to be in the game. In the latest Treehouse stream there's a blink and you miss it moment with the victory condition being described as ''defeat master Kohga'' 

It doesn't have to be the same person. Could be the whole Japanese Ninja Master Passes Down Their Name To Create The Impression Of An Undying Leader shtick done with Fates Saizo and Tekken/SoulCalibur's Yoshimitsu.

8 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Koei Tecmo and Capcom have a history of back and forth lawsuits and animosity.

Is Sengoku Basara to blame?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I still want to see Seasons/Ages repeesentation!

Same here, though Capcom's history with KT makes the chances of that dubious. The two companies have some bad blood between them, so KT may have made a conscious choice to leave any and all Capcom-created content out even though the Oracle-original content is still Nintendo's property. A pity, I'd have liked to see Din, Nayru, Farore, Ralph, Maple, Onox, and Veran all as warriors. I could also see costumes that reference many Oracle characters, such as Link (Ralph), Lana (Farore), Darunia (Great Moblin), Agitha (Maple), Zant (Onox), Volga (Dragon Onox), Wizzro (Agunima), and Cia (Veran).

30 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Same here, though Capcom's history with KT makes the chances of that dubious. The two companies have some bad blood between them, so KT may have made a conscious choice to leave any and all Capcom-created content out even though the Oracle-original content is still Nintendo's property. A pity, I'd have liked to see Din, Nayru, Farore, Ralph, Maple, Onox, and Veran all as warriors. I could also see costumes that reference many Oracle characters, such as Link (Ralph), Lana (Farore), Darunia (Great Moblin), Agitha (Maple), Zant (Onox), Volga (Dragon Onox), Wizzro (Agunima), and Cia (Veran).

Yeah, someone already mentioned that, sadly. That's alright, though. I have hope we"ll see it sometime!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It doesn't have to be the same person. Could be the whole Japanese Ninja Master Passes Down Their Name To Create The Impression Of An Undying Leader shtick done with Fates Saizo and Tekken/SoulCalibur's Yoshimitsu.

Is Sengoku Basara to blame?

I don't imagine that KT has a particular fondness for their musuo competitor, but no. From what I can tell, their legal spats started with patent infringement of a most petty and generic sort. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/koei_tecmo_must_pay_capcom_more_than_usd1_3_million_after_patent_infringement_court_battle

11 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't imagine that KT has a particular fondness for their musuo competitor, but no. From what I can tell, their legal spats started with patent infringement of a most petty and generic sort. 

On the other hand Koei has absolutely nothing to fear from their competitor either. Capcom has long since given up making Basara into a prominent franchise and they arguably never even tried. Their approach has always been that Basara must remain a Japanese exclusive series and that they should go sabotage it when one of the games finally does make it into the west. 

Which is a shame. As far as Warriors games go I got into them through Basara and I appreciate its more wacky take on things. 

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

On the other hand Koei has absolutely nothing to fear from their competitor either. Capcom has long since given up making Basara into a prominent franchise and they arguably never even tried. Their approach has always been that Basara must remain a Japanese exclusive series and that they should go sabotage it when one of the games finally does make it into the west. 

Which is a shame. As far as Warriors games go I got into them through Basara and I appreciate its more wacky take on things. 

That is also disappointing to me. I much prefer SB's take on Date, Ieyasu, and quite a few others.

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That is also disappointing to me. I much prefer SB's take on Date, Ieyasu, and quite a few others.

There are certain characters I prefer from the Basara series. Masamune just doesn't happen to be one of them 😇

Mitsunari is certainly someone I prefer in Basara. In SW he's just an irrational, war mongering tsundere but in Basara he's an over the top, screaming and angry zealot who's voiced by Troy Baker. He always makes an impression when on screen. His buddy Yoshitsugu also gets depicted as a very amusing James Bond villain which beats the rather boring depiction Koei went with. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 10/10/2020 at 3:11 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

It doesn't have to be the same person.

The Sheikah are very long-lived compared to Hylians, and since the Yuga Clan are Sheikah who turned to Ganon's side, it could very well be the same person.

15 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The Sheikah are very long-lived compared to Hylians, and since the Yiga  Clan are Sheikah who turned to Ganon's side, it could very well be the same person.

Which means we’re gonna go from Wedge to Sephiroth on the current sliding scale of physical appearance.

Given how the game currently looks, and how everything thus far appears to be tied to one mode, he likely won’t be playable.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

So it seems that master Kohga is conformed to be in the game. In the latest Treehouse stream there's a blink and you miss it moment with the victory condition being described as ''defeat master Kohga'' 

It probably isn't the same Kohga. It's true that Sheikah are long-lived, but one would think that, if the Kohga in BOTW had been around at the time of the Calamity, his reaction to seeing Link would've been different from, "Hey! You're that Link guy I ordered everyone to kill!" The absence of any familiarity with Link, combined with the fact that he doesn't seem very old (Sheikah may be long-lived but they do show their age; Impa is 120 and she looks 120, as does Robbie to a lesser extent) and I suspect that the one in Age of Calamity is not the same one. 

Creating a Champion mentions that the name "Kohga" is really a title he received from his predecessors when he became the leader of the Yiga Clan. So it very likely is simply the the case that they share the same name; most likely to hide whenever there's a change in leadership as @Interdimensional Observer suggested. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

if the Kohga in BOTW had been around at the time of the Calamity, his reaction to seeing Link would've been different from, "Hey! You're that Link guy I ordered everyone to kill!"

Would you remember someone you saw once 100 years ago?

Seems like we have our villain. Three of em. 

Fat jolly old Kohga is here though there's also a more serious Yiga with two blades. Which of the two is Kohga isn't entirely clear. And there also seems to be a Ganondorf priest running around. The introduction kinda seems like one of the villainous victory animation from Hyrule Warriors so they might be playable in some form.

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Seems like we have our villain. Three of em. 

Fat jolly old Kohga is here though there's also a more serious Yiga with two blades. Which of the two is Kohga isn't entirely clear. And there also seems to be a Ganondorf priest running around. The introduction kinda seems like one of the villainous victory animation from Hyrule Warriors so they might be playable in some form.

So he was alive and fat 100 years ago? Huh; interesting. I'm guessing that either this is him before he became leader, or he took command at a young age. 

Regarding the hooded character at 0:33, he looks sort-of like what I would've expected Kohga's successor in BOTW2 to look like: skinny, threatening, in-the-shadows, that sort of stuff. This person doesn't seem to be Yiga Clan, going by the lack of a mask, absence of any red in their outfit, and the completely different symbol on their back. By the way, does anyone recognize the symbol? It looks familiar, but I can't figure out where. 

22 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So he was alive and fat 100 years ago? Huh; interesting. I'm guessing that either this is him before he became leader, or he took command at a young age. 

Regarding the hooded character at 0:33, he looks sort-of like what I would've expected Kohga's successor in BOTW2 to look like: skinny, threatening, in-the-shadows, that sort of stuff. This person doesn't seem to be Yiga Clan, going by the lack of a mask, absence of any red in their outfit, and the completely different symbol on their back. By the way, does anyone recognize the symbol? It looks familiar, but I can't figure out where. 

I think its supposed to be the Gerudo symbol. 

25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its supposed to be the Gerudo symbol. 

Interesting. The Gerudo symbol being worn by presumably a non-Gerudo (given what we see of their face) who can command Yiga Clan members (given that they're kneeling before them).

43 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its too soon to say for sure, but this scan might suggest the king is playable. 

That old Ganon's no match for the king!

Though the fact that the page is labeled "other characters", and that Purah and Robbie are there despite presumably being unplayable, might not be evidence that he's playable yet. I expect that the seven we have will be the only characters used in the story, and that any other characters will be bonuses of some kind.

Also, another trailer:

Koroks and Hestu are back, and now everyone gets a paraglider.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:22 AM, Lord_Brand said:

You guys gotta check out this post on ZU where a member named Arrdenet ran the scans through a translator and shared what it churned out. It is a hoot, worthy of Book of Mario.

100 years ago 44 British soldiers were killed in the battle
The Impa of a young day is also Twinned!
Long battle to unite the Egas in the lower part. The white body is sleeping. I have a lot of friends but somehow they are burried in the grave

Yeah that all makes a lot of sense. Especially the part where Daruk is a British chosen from colon.

Edited by Etrurian emperor