Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced (NSW, Releases 11.20.2020)

Jave

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we know the premise of the game from the opening, I'm actually kind of excited for the narrative now that we don't know how it ends. In the second main mission, the game told me to run, but I just kept fighting the Guardian for science. It took five minutes but his weak point gauge finally went all the way down after a dozen shot parries which ended the mission. I'm happy the game let me do that. Overall this demo has done way more for me than the cutscene trailers or treehouse footage combined.

In terms of gameplay it feels like exploration and spatial awareness play a large role like in any zelda game. You got your hidden koroks, chests hanging around waiting to be opened and environmental interactions with runes. It really does work, blending these two sorts of games together. And while character progression still involves the collecting of materials, it's less annoying now that the materials float over to you rather than needing to be picked up. You can also buy some items straight out when you unlock stables which I anticipate will help cut down on the grind. But stock keeps changing so you'll have to keep checking back for stuff you need. I really like that everybody has a unique right trigger action to try out that seems to replace Focus Spirit. Unique character mechanics help the gameplay feel less samey character to character. Even the shared Runes come out as different attacks (Impa's cryonis is hilarious and you should try it out). The game seems to run less stable than HW Definitive. Frame drops were pretty common in docked mode, especially in that hyrule field level. My favorite of the three movesets is definitely Zelda. She's just a teenager running around with her smartphone and everything is exploding. They finally made me like BotW's iteration of Zelda.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'm a bit skeptical of Eggboy coming from the future but I'm willing to see where it goes. 

I think I already see the big twist with the baby guardian coming. Aside from having the be put down like old Yeller of course. In the stage where Link and co must flee from a guardian we see something metalic was behind the incident. I expect both the present and future versions of Eggboy were messing with guardians in that stage. The present version of everyone's favorite baby guardian might in fact be the guardian of cloaked figure. At some point its destroyed, Zelda repairs and remodels it into a good Guardian and then the calamity happens and the now redeemed eggboy hops back in time. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

And while character progression still involves the collecting of materials, it's less annoying now that the materials float over to you rather than needing to be picked up.

Materials never needed to be picked up in the original HW. They were on the map but they were automatically collected regardless.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Materials never needed to be picked up in the original HW. They were on the map but they were automatically collected regardless.

You're right... And even the tutorials are lying to the player about it

"If you pick up a weapon midbattle, you will be able to use that weapon once you have claimed victory in that battle"

They played us like a damn fiddle! All these years!

Edited by Glennstavos

Played the demo in Handheld, mostly coming with experience with Hyrule Warriors and not BotW (never played it, although I did watch a full playthrough). I played with Handheld just fine, although I'm sure Docked is the superior option.

Went with Hard to start, and it does live up to its name. A few missed dodges and my inexperience in knowing where the healing resupply is cost me a match, and a few close calls throughout the rest. Also, I wish I could remap the buttons, as Lock-On is inconvenient in pressing the R-Stick and my muscle memory goes to ZR for the Relics instead of R. I'm likely to train myself out of it as I play more, but its not fun when you need to do something immediately and press the wrong button.

Link's sword moveset is all right, although I do miss the sword beams from HW (especially the triple with the Master Sword). That was my to-go skill in clearing out the map and dealing lots of damage. Impa's took some getting used to, but after I learned the mechanics she may be my favorite playstyle thus far. Zelda's is non-traditional and gimmicky, I'll have to play around with it more but am otherwise unimpressed.

Overall, I enjoyed the demo thus far. I'll probably mess around with it some more before the release since the save data transfers

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'd still call it an improvement from a user feedback perspective. Also, being able to open chests with attacks is nice.

Oh yes, I'll agree with both of these. I thought I had added to my last post that it is still better but I guess I left it out by accident. Whoops.

I suppose since the game was probably rushed for the Christmas season, I guess there is a small possibility they will be able to patch performance down the line. As is, the demo just feels awful.
Though it's a sad state of affairs if you have to hope for an action game to at least be able to reach solid 30 fps long after launch.
Damn shame. I was hoping for a good running handheld Warriors for a while now. But this doesn't seem to be it.

Edited by BrightBow

Playing the demo now that I'm off work. I'm playing undocked, and I haven't seen any frame-rate issues in the slightest. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I never put my console in sleep mode. Also wondering if that's why my joy-cons, after over three years, haven't developed drift in spite of heavy abuse.

It takes some getting used to these controls, though locking on with pushing in the right joycon stick is absolutely stupid and goes against every bit of muscle memory from Zelda, and I think even Hyrule Warriors.

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Datamined character list. Take with a grain of salt, though I will say that these aren't especially surprising.

Reveal hidden contents

Link

Zelda

Impa

Urbosa

Mipha

Revali

Daruk

King Rhoam

Hestu

Riju

Sidon

Teba

Yunobo

Great Fairy

Master Kohga

Monk

Mini Guardian

Ganon

Spoiler

Having the 2nd gen champions but not Purah and Robbie seems really strange. Also, "Monk?" Not sure I believe this.

But it's a reminder that Yunobo should have been female.

Edited by Florete

59 minutes ago, Florete said:
Spoiler

Having the 2nd gen champions but not Purah and Robbie seems really strange. Also, "Monk?" Not sure I believe this.

But it's a reminder that Yunobo should have been female.

Spoiler

I'm going to guess that "Monk" is the mysterious hooded figure from the trailer. The shoe fits.

Yunobo is trash in general. If Yunobo had at least been a female Goron, we could have gotten something out of it. 

And the 2nd gen champions implies even more time traveling shenanigans. Which makes me think that either:

A) The time travel is to give us false hope that we can change the past, only for it to play out the same. This addresses complaints that a prequel is pointless because we know the ending.

Or

B) We change the past, creating a potentially even darker alternate timeline for BotW2.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I would appreciate spoiler talk being kept in spoiler tabs thank youuuu

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Just beat the demo, Link is fine, but I'm not a fan of Impa and Zelda, their HW incarnations are much better.

It definitely feels like they deliberately de-powered characters between games, and Link's moveset is the most obvious case example since the only new combo is C3. I'd also swear that mooks take a lot more abuse in this game before finally dying. I never did this before, but in the demo I turned on all health bars in the options to get an idea of how much I have to hit them. I'm hoping that our characters being weak will allow for very apparent growth as they become more capable in late game. In old HW, every character is pretty much godlike to start with their missing moves taking almost nothing to unlock, and other individual upgrades being miniscule to unnoticeable for how rare those materials may have been to collect.

Controller remapping would be appreciated too. Though I'm not sure what I would replace to put lock on on L trigger like it used to be. Everything else is something I could see myself pressing more overall. I'd probably just live with the default controls.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I would appreciate spoiler talk being kept in spoiler tabs thank youuuu

It definitely feels like they deliberately de-powered characters between games, and Link's moveset is the most obvious case example since the only new combo is C3. I'd also swear that mooks take a lot more abuse in this game before finally dying. I never did this before, but in the demo I turned on all health bars in the options to get an idea of how much I have to hit them. I'm hoping that our characters being weak will allow for very apparent growth as they become more capable in late game. In old HW, every character is pretty much godlike to start with their missing moves taking almost nothing to unlock, and other individual upgrades being miniscule to unnoticeable for how rare those materials may have been to collect.

Controller remapping would be appreciated too. Though I'm not sure what I would replace to put lock on on L trigger like it used to be. Everything else is something I could see myself pressing more overall. I'd probably just live with the default controls.

Couldn't you remap your controller in the Switch's controller settings?

Also, I strongly suspect that they toned down the power fantasy (slightly), made the game a bit more technical, and made the difficulty settings actually true to their name in order to potentially appeal to the crowd that sneers at Musuo games.

And I don't entirely disapprove. It still feels like a Warriors game, albeit one where enemy captains actually pose a threat, and there are more technical characters like Zelda & Impa to provide high end options. The other Musuo games could take a few notes.

At the very least, this balance of difficulty modes would be really nice to have in other Warriors games, where they really do feel easy even at high settings.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:
  Hide contents

I'm going to guess that "Monk" is the mysterious hooded figure from the trailer. The shoe fits.

Yunobo is trash in general. If Yunobo had at least been a female Goron, we could have gotten something out of it. 

And the 2nd gen champions implies even more time traveling shenanigans. Which makes me think that either:

A) The time travel is to give us false hope that we can change the past, only for it to play out the same. This addresses complaints that a prequel is pointless because we know the ending.

Or

B) We change the past, creating a potentially even darker alternate timeline for BotW2.

Spoiler

But, like, just "Monk?" Is that what the character is actually called?

Pretty sure no one actually gives a shit about Yunobo or Teba, and if this datamined list is real they were probably only included because they would have felt awkward adding only Sidon and Riju from the successors. That, or the successors are all clones/costumes and including them wasn't an issue in the first place.

But yeah, Yunobo being male really was a big goof. We don't have a single well-known female Goron in the series (to my knowledge, at least) and it would have made for good gender parity from the 1st gen champions to the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:
  Hide contents

But, like, just "Monk?" Is that what the character is actually called?

Pretty sure no one actually gives a shit about Yunobo or Teba, and if this datamined list is real they were probably only included because they would have felt awkward adding only Sidon and Riju from the successors. That, or the successors are all clones/costumes and including them wasn't an issue in the first place.

But yeah, Yunobo being male really was a big goof. We don't have a single well-known female Goron in the series (to my knowledge, at least) and it would have made for good gender parity from the 1st gen champions to the 2nd.

Spoiler

It could be a developer codename, a title (and we learn the name later), or whatever.

Also... I like Teba. I like the Rito in general. And speaking of Rito, if Kass or his mentor could be added in DLC alongside Robbie and Purah, that would make me happy.