[Conquest] Can you do a Full Recruitment, No Grind Run?

Johnnie

And I include the 3 Invasion battles as grinding.

Possibly my favorite run of Awakening was such a run. It was fun being forced to use characters who normally immediately hit the bench. So can this be done in Conquest? And if so, what pairings.

It can easily be done afaik. I mean if you don't count the support abuse from the my castle thing, it has been done before. 0% Conquest Lunatic LTC, my god!

I think that there are eleven males linked to their unique children, and in order to have enough female suitors and unlock all these children you need to use female Cornflakes.

There is not much to plan. The latest of these males joins at Chapter 16, and you need a minimum of seven chapters to unlock a child. There are more than enough chapters ahead.

Males and females not linked to unique children will join you anyway.

I think you are going to need to get a bit more specific with the rules here, especially with regard to what counts as full recruitment with regard to capturing (no captured units, unique name and face captured units only, one of each class, etc.), with regard to what exactly is restricted (what counts as grinding? just optional maps that give xp, or all optional maps? what about milking some extra support points by delaying a chapter's end? ), what about means of accessing seed of trust (from the bonus box, or randomly from my castle conversations, etc.), or whether MyCastle talks and Private Quarters interactions are allowed despite their potential for random support gains.

That being said, outside rules that make the run impossible, it shouldn't be that hard to pull off, as long as you stick to your chosen pairs, and are careful with deployment slots, and support points. As for the pairing that would make this easier to pull off, there are a couple of faster growing supports (unlocks S support in 6 maps as opposed to 7), which would make Arthur-Effie and Xander-Peri no brainers, although whether to go with Corrin(F)-Jakob, or Corrin(F)-Kaze and Jakob-Felicia is a bit debatable as which is the better route for this challenge. Jakob has a fast support with both Corrin and Felicia, while both Jakob and Kaze can get enough support points for C before the branch of Fate, plus Corrin has option available only to her for getting supports faster.

43 minutes ago, starburst said:

I think that there are eleven males linked to their unique children, and in order to have enough female suitors and unlock all these children you need to use female Cornflakes.

You could theoretically do it with a male Corrin, but your Corrin would have to marry a female child, or Flora, which would make it harder to pull off.

16 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You could theoretically do it with a male Corrin, but your Corrin would have to marry a female child, or Flora, which would make it harder to pull off.

Are you sure? I think that there are not enough female suitors for the eleven males with children (female Cornflakes would be the eleventh female.)
You do not need to write anything down. If you say that it is possible, then it is. Such a run is the opposite of how I prefer to play. 😂

I never thought of capturing units/bosses. A case could be made for it, but aside from the later Paralogue bosses I doubt they would see much use. When I say all units, I mean all first gen be unit (including Gunter, Shura, Izana and Flora) and all kids. When I say without grinding, I mean no skirmishes in Birthright and no DLC maps in either. Anna on the Run could be allowed if you have it; it's an extra recruitable character and a viable partner for Coffin. I don't care about turn count or efficiency so if you want to spend 10 turns in Chapter 9 to guarantee a C support for Azura then go for it. No grinding to me means not spending hours on online battles or Before Awakening to grind out all supports as I find that tedious and unfun.

The challenge in a run like this is deciding your early game pairings as you're going to drop several units in favor of new pairings as you enter mid-game. Many units that you would typically train for the entire game end up permanently benched or pair up fodder. And many pairings are going to be less than optimal but there's also plenty of experience to have several powerful units as you enter the end-game. And if you don't want to deal with several maps worth of promoted units and nearly impossible conditions (Siegbert) then you're going to want to have several Paralogue in the bank to finish Xander/Benny/Keaton/Leo pairings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, starburst said:

Are you sure? I think that there are not enough female suitors for the eleven males with children (female Cornflakes would be the eleventh female.)
You do not need to write anything down. If you say that it is possible, then it is. Such a run is the opposite of how I prefer to play. 😂

It could look like

Spoiler

Silas/Felicia

Jakob/Mozu

Kaze/Azura

Arthur/Effie

Niles/Elise

Odin/Camilla

Leo/Nyx

Laslow/Selena

Keaton/Beruka

Xander/Peri

Benny/Charlotte

M!Corrin/Flora

You can also do the same 11 pairs with F!Corrin, if she's paired with, say, Izana or Gunter. I wrote this out partly to figure it out for myself. Where a problem appears to come in to play is, if you use M!Corrin, and insist on marrying a female character in the wider dating pool (e.g. M!Corrin/Selena), then one of the potential fathers (Laslow) will be plum out of luck, thus making their child (Soleil) unobtainable.

Yes, exactly like that. Except F!Corrin can pair with any male giving M!Kana a sibling. It would simply mean that one if the eligible female characters would remain unmarried.

I'm finding this run to be relatively simple on Conquest than Birthright simply because of character distribution. Birthright requires more sub-optimal pairs for the same result.

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

I'm finding this run to be relatively simple on Conquest than Birthright simply because of character distribution. Birthright requires more sub-optimal pairs for the same result.

Bold: Pray tell what you mean by this?

You acquire your full roster in Birthright faster which means more units hit the bench earlier and for a longer period of time. You (I) end up gluing someone like Hayato to someone like Oboro because otherwise he's not going to father his child. 

8 hours ago, Johnnie said:

You acquire your full roster in Birthright faster which means more units hit the bench earlier and for a longer period of time. You (I) end up gluing someone like Hayato to someone like Oboro because otherwise he's not going to father his child.

Why Oboro x Hayato specifically though? Like Hayato x Orochi gives a better Rhajat and gives Hayato a performance enhancing wife and vice versa. Throw Oboro on any physical kid and it should be fine? Not saying you can´t but y tho?

Plus, in Birthright you get free grind chances and can spend some coin to get additional ones, so getting supports and benching characters would be faster too.

13 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Why Oboro x Hayato specifically though? Like Hayato x Orochi gives a better Rhajat and gives Hayato a performance enhancing wife and vice versa. Throw Oboro on any physical kid and it should be fine? Not saying you can´t but y tho?

Plus, in Birthright you get free grind chances and can spend some coin to get additional ones, so getting supports and benching characters would be faster too.

First, the point of the exercise is to avoid using Challenge Maps. Or Invasion Maps. Or 99% of DLC.

Second, Oboro and Hayato was a poor example. My point was that Birthright throws too many units at you at one time so you end up with more benched units earlier in the game which can make it harder to build supports.

Let's compare Birthright early game - Chapters 7-10 - with the same chapters in Conquest.

Chapter 7: Conquest starts with a m/f and 2 more pairs join during the chapter. Birthright starts with 2 m/f pairs, 2 additional females, a m/f pair who joins at start and 2 more males and 1 more female who join after the chapters completion. 

Chapter 8: Conquest lets you deploy everyone and 2 males join during the chapter. Birthright also lets you deploy everyone, gives you 2 females and a male during the chapter and an additional male after.

Chapter 9: Conquest again lets you deploy everyone and you gain 2 females. Birthright has you bench 4! units and gives you another m/f pair.

Let's talk Paralogue 1 briefly. In Conquest it's not until after Chapter 9 that you have to bench a unit which makes it great for early game supports. In fact, using P1 properly allows you to make 7 children after Chapter 10 with only the units gained in that chapter left unpaired. In Birthright you're benching 4 units in P1 immediately after Chapter 7.

Chapter 10: Conquest nets you 3 females and you only have to bench 1 unit if you acquired Mozu. Birthright again benches 4+ units and you gain 1 male.

Birthright forces you to bench several units in the most crucial part of the game which reduces many of them to pair up fodder in the mid-game while Conquest allows for benching units more strategically throughout the mid-game as pairings are completed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible to get all pre-Ch.10 children before starting Ch.10. The same is true of Ch.17 (in that case, you get all children.) If you exclude invasion battles though then it's not possible to get all the pre-Ch.10 children before starting Ch.10, but it's almost certainly still possible to get everyone before starting Ch.17.

In fact you can get pretty decent pairings with this rushed strategy, but it's certainly not the best approach or anything. I guess it depends on playstyle to some extent exactly how rushed to make marriages. I tried it for the pre-Ch.10 children and found it a bit tedious. I'd rather just play a little less streamlined. Maybe ignore a few children but get all the others, and with better pairs too. And I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to rush so many paralogues which is part of the rushing approach.

But yes getting all the children in the game is more than possible. It can actually be done quite rapidly. I can't remember but I think I had ~4 paralogues extra before chapter 17 for finishing all S supports. So taking out the invasions will constrict things some more but it's probably possible. 

Edited by tacticsfan999