Ask The Above Poster Something You Want To Learn About Them

Randoman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who is your least favorite character from Berwick Saga? Doesn't have to be playable.

He starts with a V and ends with an O. And is a very good unit.

In terms of non-playables... I dunno, Luveil, I guess?

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Are there any hypothetical major changes to a Skyward Sword remake you would tolerate?

Well... Fi being less hand-holdy would be nice. I like her, but she doesn't need to tell me, "You did this thing for the third time, so I'm gonna give you another in-depth tutorial on it."

Even if they didn't change that, I'd still be happy, tbh.

What was your first FE?

1 minute ago, Randoman said:

What makes Marth one of your favourite Fire Emblem characters?

To answer this, I'll reference a comment of mine from another thread that explains why I like Marth so much.

"Marth, despite the general lack of story featured in his games and their respective remakes, is one of the best written lords in the series. The different emotions he experiences and expresses in Shadow Dragon in particular demonstrate a depth of character that surpasses that of most other FE lords and doesn't typically get recognized, in my experience at least.

He doesn't begin his journey as the ever-humble Hero-King. He's a kid who had his home and family ripped from him, so he becomes vengeful and a bit arrogant about it, driving him forward to reclaim what is rightfully his. It makes him more relatable, despite him being a royal in a fantasy setting, as his reactions parallel what would be the natural human response to similar events happening in someone's life. And because he had to rely on his friends and allies to defeat Medeus the first time around, he is humbled and experiences meaningful character development as a result."

To add on to that, his reserved personality is something I can relate to quite strongly, as I'm a more reserved, quiet person myself. Marth very much seemed to have a similar personality in his games, as certain scenes in both FE11 and FE12 show.

Multiple paragraph answer out of the way...

-----------

What is your favorite platforming game?

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Who is your favorite male video game character?

Since I already know who your fav female vg character is. xD

Arnice is simply the best. XD

Anyway, my favorite male character in video games is Zephy, the protagonist (or more accurately, one of the protagonists, since all characters share more or less equal importance and screen time - he is just the character through which players see and get to interact with that world) of Dragon Star Varnir. I find his calm, understanding personality to be very likeable, as is his character development from someone who mistrusts witches to someone who learns their side of the story through becoming one himself and living with them.
For a bit of context, in the world of Dragon Star Varnir, witches are cursed to give birth to dragons eventually, and Zephy's family was killed by a dragon, and through this, and his training as a knight, he has come to really hate witches and dragons. But he grows out of that as the game goes on, and I really, really enjoyed that.

---

What is a game (or series) that really interests you, but you never played it for one reason or another?

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Who is the character in your profile picture?

Not sure if you wanted to ask Benice or me, but I'll answer anyway:

It's me, actually!

Fohizc9k oZtnx4fij o

These are self-portraits (well, self-portrait and evil version, anyway) I made in the style of Berwick Saga, by splicing and editing existing portraits. It... doesn't really look all that much like me. My hair's longer now, and I always wear glasses. But yeah. It's me, kinda! For curiosity's sake, here's all the portraits I used to splice both the evil version and the regular one. See if you can piece it together! (Crazy eyes were entirely my editing)

M5tfwzef oQonpqir6 oWwr7cy2x oJsqc9cr9 oFi8ynyyj o8buhw4bh oK185knou oZz5bu9oo o

Faeplxov o

What makes you like Three Houses so much?

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What is your favorite platforming game?

Mario Galaxy 1, for me. I've only played Galaxy 1 and 2, but I really quite liked both.

Why are you so fond of Matthis in particular?

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What is a game (or series) that really interests you, but you never played it for one reason or another?

Uncharted. The exploration and focus on adventuring rather than straight-up shooting has always appealed to me, but for some reason, I've never actually bought or played the games. They looked neat and seemed interesting, but eh, I just never bothered to actually try them.

--------

Favorite female video game character?

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Sophie, a side character who appears in Esteban's character arc in Berwick Saga.

73atfzI.png

I don't know why she resonated so much with me, but she did.

Have you ever found a character that you relate to a lot?

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

Why are you so fond of Matthis in particular?

Well, I used to be a part of the hate mob. In fact, at the very beginning of my FE12 LP I still was. However, I happened to stumble upon a write-up about his character that made a whole lot of sense and opened my eyes to him. Sure, he's lazy, a coward and a weakling; but the truth is, underneath all that, Matthis is a truly good man who, despite being a bad fighter and scared shitless of dying, decided to join Marth's cause simply because it was the right thing to do, for his sister and the world's sake. He says it best himself: "If I’m going to die, I’d rather die as one of the dashing than one of the dastardly." In book 2, he leaves aside his differences with Julian as soon as he finds out that Lena is in trouble, and joins Marth once again so he can help to save her life. Again, despite the fact that he's not suited to being a soldier. He could've ran away, but he chose to be a hero instead. I can respect that.

Right after this, I just happened to get the most overpowered Matthis in the history of the world - an absolute juggernaut who couldn't get killed by anything. This, in the middle of my first even Ironman run, too. He carried the run hard, and after that, I was just sold. It helps that he's been consistently good every time I've used him in either game. There was this time in Shadow Dragon that he was growing well in every stat except speed. I complained to a friend about it... and as if he'd heard me, Matthis proceeded to get speed in almost every level until he capped. Not even kidding. That's how the SD Matthis in my sig came to be. I guess he just felt that, since I'm one of four people in the world who unironically believes in him, he had to do his best to prove me right!

What's your favorite song in any videogame? You can answer multiple, if you can't make up your mind.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What makes you like Three Houses so much?

I enjoy the characters, setting, and story a lot. I also like exploring the monastery, and that I can essentially make my units whatever the heck I want them to be.
I can't exactly justify it with good reasoning, but the game appeals to me and what I like.
It's not without its faults, sure (the whole season pass thing really rubs me the wrong way, for example), but those are negligible in comparison to what I like about it.

It's me, actually!

That's awesome! I wouldn't have thought! Nice!

See if you can piece it together!

Challenge accepted! Tell me if I got everything right!

Spoiler
M5tfwzef oThis guy's hair.
Wwr7cy2x oHis cape and perhaps collar.
Fi8ynyyj oHis face shape and perhaps the tie.
8buhw4bh oHis mustache pieced together.
jsqC9Cr9_o.pngHis beard.
Faeplxov oThis person's hood for the "evil" version.
Zz5bu9oo oHis eyes.
Qonpqir6 oThis person's nose and mouth
K185knou oThis is the only one I can't really place, to be honest.

How did you get the idea to make this portrait?

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Have you ever found a character that you relate to a lot?

Ah, Marianne probably. The whole quiet, low self-esteem type of character is something I can see in myself pretty strongly. While interacting with other while being anonymous on forums has helped me to be less socially anxious and awkward, in real life that is far from the case. You'd find me to fairly quiet, nervous guy if you met me in person. I guess that's why I love Marianne as a character so much. I see a lot of myself in her. Although I've never felt suicidal tendencies, thankfully.

--------

Do you have a game that you go back to when you're feeling nostalgic, and if so, what is it?

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Challenge accepted! Tell me if I got everything right!

Answers in the spoilers!

Spoiler
M5tfwzef oThis guy's hair. Half right. The nose and the head also belong to him, although they were heavily edited by the time I was done.

Wwr7cy2x oHis cape and perhaps collar. Correct. The armor, too, but maybe you count that as the collar?
Fi8ynyyj oHis face shape and perhaps the tie. Half right. I took the tie, but nothing from the face.
8buhw4bh oHis mustache pieced together. Correct.
jsqC9Cr9_o.pngHis beard. Correct.
Faeplxov oThis person's hood for the "evil" version. This one was quite obvious.
Zz5bu9oo oHis eyes. Correct.
Qonpqir6 oThis person's nose and mouth Half right. It was only the mouth.
K185knou oThis is the only one I can't really place, to be honest. Look closely at his collar. See this thing? Mvef4u2v o I put it on my armor as decoration.

As for your question...

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

How did you get the idea to make this portrait?

I had been using a portrait of an entirely unrelated videogame character (Order of Ecclesia's Barlowe, to be precise) since I joined up. At the time I changed it, I had made three LPs. I figured it was long past time I got an identity of my own. I had made a GBAFE style self-portrait already, but since I love Berwick Saga so much, and its artstyle is simplistic enough that I could easily do edits with my subpar artistic skills, I decided to make another one in BWS style. That's what came out of it!

The evil version was made as a joke, referencing how most members of the bad guys church in Berwick Saga wears the most hilariously blatant evil getup possible (I like to call them "garbage bags", because I mean, they kinda look like that, don't they?). @Pengaius proposed that I use it as my October pfp, so here we are.

Opinions and thoughts on Pelleas?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

absolute juggernaut who couldn't get killed by anything

lExROOi.png

What's your favorite song in any videogame? You can answer multiple, if you can't make up your mind.

Well, No. 1, 2 and 3:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(The main part of the song starts at about 32 seconds, by the way.)

What is your favorite game of all time?

Ninja'd, but sure, same question, excluding Berwick.

Edited by Benice

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Do you have a game that you go back to when you're feeling nostalgic, and if so, what is it?

Used to, but nowadays, not so much. The first game I ever owned was Pokémon Blue on the GameBoy Color, which I would occasionally go back to when nostalgia struck.
Part of that is the fact that the game cartridge in question doesn't work anymore, the console I used to play it on broke (although I suppose I could've played it on my GBA), AND I lost interest in the franchise it's from, so nowadays, other games are my comfort food, if you will.
But those I go back to when I feel like revisiting something I love unconditionally, less out of nostalgia.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Answers in the spoilers!

Ah, not too shabby, if I do say so myself.
That last one was tricky, though. ^^

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At the time I changed it, I had made three LPs. I figured it was long past time I got an identity of my own. I had made a GBAFE style self-portrait already, but since I love Berwick Saga so much, and its artstyle is simplistic enough that I could easily do edits with my subpar artistic skills, I decided to make another one in BWS style. That's what came out of it!

Nice, nice! I think it looks great!
... Well, it "fooled" me into thinking that's a legit character, so that was probably obvious, wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like to call them "garbage bags", because I mean, they kinda look like that, don't they?)

I... certainly cannot unsee it now. XD

---

How many Zelda games have you played?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

lExROOi.png

Piece of shit, I don't need to be reminded... That was entirely my fault! I was so bad that I threw him at sorcerers with tomes that bypassed defenses. Matthis was entirely blameless, it was me that failed to utilize his awesome might correctly. Besides, up to this point he hard carried the run - that is an undeniable fact!

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Eyyyy, that one! As someone who's playing Galaxy for the first time right now (for some reason I cannot remember, I only ever played 2 as a kid), I must say, all of its music is absolutely glorious. Seriously, I have no idea how Bowser managed to get such an epic theme for himself...

Just now, Benice said:

What is your favorite game of all time?

I'm assuming I ninja'd you, because you know the answer.

...Well... It's actually a toss-up between Berwick Saga and Team Fortress 2. I think Berwick Saga's probably the superior game, but TF2 is very dear to me. Not just dear - I'd go as far as to call it an important game in my life.

What's your childhood show, if any?

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Nice, nice! I think it looks great!
... Well, it "fooled" me into thinking that's a legit character, so that was probably obvious, wasn't it?

Why, I'm quite flattered! Thank you so much for the high praise!

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Ah, not too shabby, if I do say so myself.
That last one was tricky, though. ^^

Yeah, last one was definitely the hardest, I can't blame you.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What genres of music do you enjoy?

It's always a bit of a hassle to talk about music with people in real life, because I enjoy videogame music above all. Mostly because I prefer instrumental music over music with lyrics. Dunno why. I just prefer a good melody that naturally inspires feelings in me over whatever the singer has to say to me.

As for genre, it depends on my mood, but the one I enjoy the most consistently is heavy metal. I love me some good ear blastin'. Stuff like this, for reference.

Favorite game outside of FE?

Huh. Realized I missed a question you asked me. My bad.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Opinions and thoughts on Pelleas?

Well, he's kind of a mediocre character for me, especially considering how contrived the whole blood contract bit felt. I don't have any significantly positive or negative thoughts about him, other than him dying at Miccy's hand being a great plot point for her character. Nothing special or particularly memorable, except for his design, which is quite nice.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Favorite game outside of FE?

Probably Breath of the Wild. It's the Zelda game that got me back into the series, with the complete reworking of the classic Zelda gameplay experience keeping me engaged the entire time.

-------

Totally not reusing a question I already asked. Nope.

What are some of your go-to youtube videos/youtube genres/youtubers when you just want to kick back and relax?

2 hours ago, Benice said:

What was your first FE?

It was Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. I got into Fire Emblem due to liking Marth in Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I decided to play the game that he's from. I actually thought the Fire Emblem series originated on the Super Nintendo rather than the NES, so I just looked up the SNES Fire Emblem games until I found the one with Marth in it.

I fell for a lot of the beginner's traps that plague most FE newbies like overusing Jagen and not knowing about permanent death. I was actually stuck on Michalis' chapter for the longest time in my first file. As in, 5+ years. I even did a new FE3 Book 1 file where I built up a better team and defeated the game there before I defeated the game in that very first file I made. I eventually did defeat the very first Fire Emblem file I made, thanks to Star Orb & Gradivus abuse and grinding through boss abuse. It may not seem satisfying to a regular player, but to me, there's something really satisfying about looking at all the mistakes I made during my very first playthrough, and being able to fix up all those errors coming to that file as a Fire Emblem veteran.

33 minutes ago, Randoman said:

What are some of your go-to youtube videos/youtube genres/youtubers when you just want to kick back and relax?

I enjoy some good let's play videos like the ones from Arlo Plays (currently on hiatus as a channel, but his main channel is doing pretty well), AbdallahSmash026, and some of the nice, long discussion videos from Gamexplain or My Life in Gaming.

-------

What game series do you like outside of FE?

Who drew the picture of the Greil Mercenaries in your sig? I really like it!

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

What is the story behind that Kirby holding a knife?

I honestly wish I knew. It was a picture I found on the internet. I think I had been looking up axolotls (they're boutta be in Minecraft, too, let's gooooooo) and then "Kirby with a knife" popped into my head.

39 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Who drew the picture of the Greil Mercenaries in your sig? I really like it!

Thanks! I wish I knew, but I just pulled it off Pinterest one day and don’t remember the name associated with it or the page I found it on.

Since your member tag shows the Smash logo, what is your favorite Smash game?

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

What game series do you like outside of FE?

Mario and Kirby are the main ones that come to mind, right now (I've always been a fan of sidescrollers). Super Mario Maker 2 is 90%-95% of what I play these days, due to my obsession with maintaining/improving my rank on the "First Clear" and "World Record" (speedrunning) categories.

Other game series include the Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy, Bomberman, Dragon Quest, and Shovel Knight (not sure if that one counts as a series, but with 4 different campaigns, I kind of consider it one). It's been a while since I've played any games from those aforementioned series, though.

What about your favourite game series? I only know of Fire Emblem and Smash Bros. being among your favourites.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

How many Zelda games have you played?

Let's see...

In chronological order:

• Skyward Sword
  • Twilight Princess
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Ocarina of time
  • Minish cap
  • Breath of the Wild

In terms of my fav. to least fav, (I enjoyed all of them, though)

• Skyward Sword
  • [Quality gap because this is a perfect game]
  • [Quality gap because this is a perfect game]
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Breath of the wild
  • Minish cap
  • Ocarina of time
  • Twilight Princess
4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eyyyy, that one! As someone who's playing Galaxy for the first time right now (for some reason I cannot remember, I only ever played 2 as a kid), I must say, all of its music is absolutely glorious.

Indeed! It probably has the best overall OST in any game I've played-Basically every theme is an absolute banger. Galaxy 2 has some champs, such as Sky station galaxy, (at least in my opinion,) but I don't remember it as much as Galaxy 1's.

Also, how the heck do people beat these games 100% in a few days?! It took me, like, eight months to beat Galaxy 1, and that wasn't even 100%! I really need to play the Mario Galaxy games again...

Who is your favorite FE character?

19 minutes ago, Randoman said:

What about your favourite game series? I only know of Fire Emblem and Smash Bros. being among your favourites.

One of my favorite series that I didn't discover until earlier this year is Rune Factory, a farming sim/ARPG/dungeon crawler/life sim game series with incredibly charming worlds and characters. While my only familiarity is with the fourth entry, it quickly became one of my favorite games I've played. Other than Rune Factory, I'd say Zelda, with BotW being my favorite from that series.

---------

Of the 2D platformers you've played, which is your favorite?