Ask The Above Poster Something You Want To Learn About Them

Randoman

7 hours ago, Shrow said:

Question for you Twilit, are you an early bird or a late owl? And why?

As I've gotten older I've gradually become more of a night owl. I'm up til 1:00 most nights anymore. I'll sleep until 6-8ish, usually waking up at some point in the night at least once because "haha what is consistent sleep."

Do you tend to prefer difficult or easier games?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, Hasechi said:

Have you ever got a same dream in different nights ? How is it ?

As a kid I used to get dreams that took place in the same world. I remember making a mental map of this world hoping to come back to it.

Unfortunately i've long forgotten that world, however I do remember a condo house looking over a beach with high rock wall.
Along that wall a cozy house sits on the water.
I think that beach was taken from Majora's mask or Mario Sunshine but I don't quite recall. My dreams are never original or unique, Locations, people and things are all based off of what I experience in the waking world.

_________

Pick a mount, any mount. It can be any fictional animal made big or small.
Giant flying Mongoose, Griffin, Dragon, etc... You decide.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:36 AM, Benice said:

(Also, just so you know, punctuation marks are not placed after a space in english-The space comes after it rather than before.)

Thanks! That's helpful.

23 hours ago, Shrow said:

As a kid I used to get dreams that took place in the same world. I remember making a mental map of this world hoping to come back to it.

Unfortunately i've long forgotten that world, however I do remember a condo house looking over a beach with high rock wall.
Along that wall a cozy house sits on the water.
I think that beach was taken from Majora's mask or Mario Sunshine but I don't quite recall. My dreams are never original or unique, Locations, people and things are all based off of what I experience in the waking world.

I see.

----------

Do you think Yordle's head is too big. They feel pressure, heavy on their feets when they walk ?

On 3/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, twilitfalchion said:

Do you tend to prefer difficult or easier games?

Well, I suck at most genres of games, and I've basically only played basic, mainstream games or shovelware. That said, I do like challenge in my games, so I lean towards difficult. I hope to eventually try a Soulsbourne-type game!

What's your favorite kind of food?

On 3/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, Hasechi said:

Do you think Yordle's head is too big. They feel pressure, heavy on their feets when they walk ?

Bold to assume they're even all that affected by gravity.
Yordles are small, weightless spirits. Big heads aren't a problem.
Being incredibly light makes them easy to pick up though.
The position of their heads serve as their focal point and or centre of gravity. When animating them, the artists put a lot of focus on the big head.

_________

You are now in charge of the designing the next Fire Emblem protagonist!
What's their class, weapon, gender, hair colour, etc...?

You are feel unsatisfied and dull randomly one day, what do you do? Based on a true story.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, Hasechi said:

Wha do you think about the video below :

I like a good fight scene as much as the next guy, and while the fight is mostly well choreographed, the camera work is naturally very flat and boring, which leads to it not being very fun to watch. There are just a boring shots, so that could have been more creative. Meh.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, Benice said:

What's your favorite kind of food?

It's called "hu tiu mi", a food from Vietnam. It look like ramen but taste very different. I find it more delicious than ramen ( everyone have different taste )

@Sooks really? I found it pretty funny. I've never played FE3H before but I think they would never parry barehands like this. Top 10 favourite charaters?

Edited by Hasechi

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, Shrow said:

You are now in charge of the designing the next Fire Emblem protagonist!
What's their class, weapon, gender, hair colour, etc...?

Well, something I'm trying to use in my SRPG Studio project is the main character "shifting" fighting styles, essentially meaning that they change classes during the battle. Over the course of the story, they can gain more styles to shift between that fill different roles. It's something I quite like, so I'd like to see somethin' like that

Story-wise...I wouldn't mind having a duo or trio of lords who are friends or something akin to that, and I'd probably want a mix of genders. Alternatively, I wouldn't actually mind an ungendered lord or something like that, just to change things up and have some more inclusiveness. Plus, they could do some interesting stuff with that, I think.

...I know this was a cop-out answer since I didn't say anything specific, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Rather than simply having a blank title for your profile, why do you have a hyphen?

• 6 months later...

What characters are you hoping will make it into Fire Emblem Heroes that haven't been in it already? For this question's purposes, you can list characters that don't have a standard version of themself in the game (Eg: Elice only has a paired version of herself in the game, but not a standard solo version).

On 7/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, Benice said:

Rather than simply having a blank title for your profile, why do you have a hyphen?

I didn't know I could have my member title be completely removed by leaving it empty at the time. A single hyphen was the most neutral looking member title that I could think of back then.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, Randoman said:

I didn't know I could have my member title be completely removed by leaving it empty at the time. A single hyphen was the most neutral looking member title that I could think of back then.

That is very fair.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, Randoman said:

What characters are you hoping will make it into Fire Emblem Heroes that haven't been in it already? For this question's purposes, you can list characters that don't have a standard version of themself in the game (Eg: Elice only has a paired version of herself in the game, but not a standard solo version).

Hm... I don't play FEH, but I quite like Lifis, so if he's not in there right now, I'd like to see my very favorite scummy lad get in there.

What is, or what are your favorite genre(s) of music?

Edited by Benice

What are some interesting facts/quirks about you that your family/close friends would know about you, that online people wouldn't? (Eg: you never make direct eye contact with people when you talk to them, at restaurants you generally order food you've never tried out before, you always wake up late on weekends due to staying up the night before, etc.)

On 1/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, Benice said:

What is, or what are your favorite genre(s) of music?

Video game music, definitely. I've lately been listening to a lot of Kirby, namely C-R-O-W-N-E-D and Moonstruck Blossom.

Though aside from video game music, I listen to Vitas, meme music, and whatever you classify this as. Yeah, if you don't count video game music as a real genre, my music tastes are pretty hard to classify.

• 6 months later...

How would you describe yourself, personality-wise?

On 7/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, CyberZord said:

Do you really not have a favorite FE? Just curious.

It'd either be FE3, FE8, or FE11. It's just that Serenes Forest doesn't allow sticking multiple FEs as your favourite. FE3/11 I like admittingly due to Marth/Archanea bias, but I do have other reasons for having those games as favourites. FE3 is basically two games in one, so that's a pretty huge point in its favor. FE3 lacking a weapon triangle worked in its favor, especially in terms of how lance heavy the game is. I also thought dismounting in indoor chapters was a really good way to even the playing field for foot units like Lords or Mercenaries. People are way too biased towards mounted units like Cavaliers/Pegasus Knights, so forced dismounting was a really effective way of leveling things and giving foot units a distinct advantage over mounted units (note that even the speed and skill of dismounted units were lowered, not just their movement).

FE11 I felt was a pretty good update for FE1/3, even though many complain about it not being updated/improved enough from the original. I personally think it's better to stay close to the originals as much as possible for remakes rather than trying to change/improve too much. I've also been a sucker for the first entries of games in a series, and I feel that FE11 is the best way to experience the first FE.

FE8 I mainly like for the story, and how interesting of a villain Lyon is, particularly in Ephraim's route.

FE1 and FE12 I wouldn't consider #1 favourites due to FE1's slowness and it not even showing movement range (you basically just select the character and move them as far as the cursor lets you, which makes strategizing/unit movement not as intuitive) while FE12 has Kris steal way too much of the spotlight that originally belonged to Marth and Jagen in FE3.

25 minutes ago, Randoman said:

How would you describe yourself, personality-wise?

I'm a shy, quiet (though ironically, my voice is rather loud when I talk) person who generally tends to keep to himself. Though I'm more relaxed around my friends and family. 

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's other First Party IPs (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Pikmin, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.)?

What TV shows did you grow up with as a kid?

18 hours ago, CyberZord said:

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's other First Party IPs (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Pikmin, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.)?

Mario: It's my childhood and my bread and butter, even to this day. 2D Mario is my personal favourite (as evidenced by my 4,085+ play hours in Super Mario Maker 2, and that's just on my main account), but I play the Mario Kart series a large amount as well, along with the Mario Party series when I've got friends over. I'm not very good with exploration based games, so the only 3D Mario games I've played are Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World (I did enjoy both games greatly, though).

Donkey Kong: I really enjoy the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy for the SNES, as well as Returns and Tropical Freeze. I like how there's so many secrets and bonus levels to find in the Donkey Kong games and how dynamic and fast paced the level design is in Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Zelda: It's way too exploration and puzzle based for my tastes. I've played the first Zelda and a Link to the Past, and I really didn't like the feeling of wandering around, not knowing what to do, being lost and stuck so often, and having to resort to guides.

Metroid: I've only played the first Metroid and Super Metroid, and I basically had the same feelings for it as Zelda. Sorry, but exploration really isn't my thing.

Kid Icarus: I barely played the series. I played the first 5-10 minutes of the first Kid Icarus, found it too hard, and stopped.

Earthbound/Mother: I played and defeated both Earthbound and Mother 3. I found the games okay and fun, though I still like classic Final Fantasy (as in, 1 through 6), Breath of Fire, and Dragon Quest more when it comes to traditional RPGs.

F-Zero: I played all the games in the series except for F-Zero GX. I really enjoy the series overall, especially the high-risk, high-reward boosting system in X, GP Legends, and Climax. I actually tried to main hard to handle vehicles like the Golden Fox and the Jet Vermillion. I was actually pretty good with the Golden Fox in GP Legends and Climax, despite how crazy slippery that vehicle is in those two games. The Jet Vermillion... I found certain tracks way too hard with that vehicle, specifically the ones with really sharp turns and narrow roads.

Kirby: It's currently my #2 favourite game series, with Mario being my #1 favourite. I really like the series overall, especially with the copy ability mechanic and how fun the co-op gameplay is for the series.

Star Fox: I played the SNES Star Fox quite a lot and enjoyed it, but I could never defeat Andross without savestates (I mostly played the Level 1 path, since I found the other 2 levels too hard). I played Star Fox 64 once and I beat it. Star Fox Command, I borrowed from my cousin and played a fair amount, getting quite a few of the different endings. I enjoyed it, though I know a good chunk of the fanbase didn't.

Pokemon: I really enjoyed Gen 1-Gen 5 (especially Gen 5, where it was all brand new Pokemon, and they even quit using Zubats and Geodudes in caves), but I dropped the series after Gen 6 and onward. After seeing Mewtwo and Charizard get 2 mega evolutions, I realize "yeah, Game Freak isn't even trying to treat legendaries and starters equally anymore. So yeah, boycott time." Sorry if that sounds like a really petty reason for abandoning the series, but at least for the starters, I really feel like equal treatment should be mandatory. I mean, what's the point in having three starters when one of them gets blatant in-game favouritism? First Charizard getting two mega-evolutions, then the Charizard line being part of the Sword/Shield main game/Pokedex while the Venusaur and Blastoise lines have to be paid for to get without trading? Not to mention Charizard's Gigantamax form being part of the base game while Venusaur and Blastoise's Gigantamax forms having to be bought as DLC. This is just disgusting and unfair to the fans of the other Gen 1 starters. If all the Pokemon games only had 1 starter instead of 3 since the beginning, I wouldn't be complaining nearly as much, but with how often they hype up choosing between 3 starters in each generation, you'd think they'd treat all 3 equally so it'd be a choice that's actually worth the hype. Though strangely I still follow Pokemon news quite extensively to this day, despite me being fatigued from all the Charizard biasedness Pokemon has been pushing these days.

Pikmin: I've only played Pikmin 3, since I got it free from that Mario Kart 8 early buyer promotion. It was pretty neat and I found it fun, but the game series isn't something I'd go out of my way to follow or buy. I found some of the bosses and enemies really hard and ridiculous, especially that sandworm boss and that massive daddy long legs enemy.

WarioWare: I barely played the series. I played the Switch WarioWare at a friend's house for 10 or so minutes, and I guess I found it kind of fun. I also played Game & Wario at a friend's house for 10 or so minutes and found it kind of fun as well. Though I feel like the micro-games are too bite-sized and too small for me to be able to enjoy for long periods of time.

Xenoblade Chronicles: I'm afraid I have no experience with the series. The series does seem interesting and cool.

Dillon's Rolling Western: I know it's not a major Nintendo series, but since I'm a big fan of it, I'm listing it. I really enjoyed the first game and The Last Ranger. I'll admit the game is a bit too hardcore and definitely not for everyone, but I really enjoyed all the strategizing, resource managing, and how action packed and stressful the Grock attacks are. Even as a veteran of the series, I still find myself second guessing my choices and panic-making decisions, especially when I know I can't save every scrog or every turret.

9 hours ago, Randoman said:

What TV shows did you grow up with as a kid?

Your answer to my previous question has sparked some interest in me and I figured I'd add my own opinions on the non-Fire Emblem Nintendo IPs you mentioned. Don't worry, I will be responding to your question as well further down this reply (It'll be below the Hidden Contents box).

I'll put my own Nintendo IP opinions within this spoiler box to save on space. Feel free to give it a look if you'd like to hear my own personal opinion on a handful of Nintendo's franchises. Despite being in a Spoiler Box there are no actual spoilers mentioned at all, I promise. 

Spoiler

Mario: It's also my favorite Nintendo series, though I prefer 3D Mario over 2D Mario (I did play the New! SMB. games quite a lot, though). Galaxy's my personal favorite Mario game, though Odyssey was also a pretty solid game, too. I've played almost every spinoff game that's been released from Mario Party to Mario Kart to the Sports games (I even played Fortune Street, which was that one odd crossover between Mario and Dragon Quest characters in a Monopoly style kind of gameplay and setting).

Donkey Kong- I agree with you regarding the Donkey Kong Country games, though I've never played DKC2 or DKC3.

Zelda + Metroid- I share a different opinion regarding these two IPs. I love the exploration that these games provide (which is one of the reasons why Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite video games ever), though the backtracking in Metroid is still something I'm getting used to since I've only recently gotten into the series with Metroid Dread and Metroid Prime. I prefer both 3D Zelda (Ever since Ocarina of Time) and 3D Metroid (as seen in the Prime Trilogy) over their 2D counterparts. Despite my love for these two exploration-heavy games (compared to most other Nintendo IPs), I can understand why you aren't a fan of these kinds of games and I respect your opinion.

Kirby- I also like Kirby, but in my opinion it's my 4th or 5th favorite Nintendo IP overall (Mario's #1, Zelda's #2, and Fire Emblem's #3). Kirby and The Forgotten Land is easily my favorite Kirby game so far. It reminds me of Super Mario 3D World in a way and I like the Mouthful Mode mechanic that was introduced. The other Kirby games I've played are also pretty solid, with particular standouts (to me) being Kirby: Super Star, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and Kirby Star Allies. 

Pokémon- I got into the series when Gen 6 was still the newest, current generation with X/Y, which I suppose is why I look rather favorably on the newer Pokémon games (excluding BDSP and the Let's Go! games). I always thought that Pokémon's biggest flaw was how samey each generation felt, which is one of the reasons why I haven't really cared enough to go back and play the older Pokémon games (another reason is that they're very expensive). The spinoffs are pretty great (Mystery Dungeon's my favorite of the spinoff games). I am a fan of the new things that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (I never played the OG Sun/Moon) and Sword/Shield have done in their games, though (The Day/Night system in Pokémon Ultra/Moon in particular and the Dynamax feature in SW/SH). I'm looking forward to what Game Freak is going to do with Pokémon Scarlet/Violet based off of what I've heard of Gen 9 so far.

Pikmin- Like Metroid, I've only gotten into this series rather recently. I've played Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 (on the GameCube because I don't believe in New Play Control) and find myself liking them quite a lot. It kind of reminds me of Fire Emblem in a strange way (Getting to control an army of characters, being tactical about what you do for a particular day, and even "permadeath"). I know that the deaths of Pikmin isn't as impactful as the death of one of your own units in FE because you can always create 100s more Pikmin, but since the game reminds you exactly how many Pikmin died in the battlefield at the end of each day, I consider it permadeath. All in all, Pikmin's a pretty fun series where you'll have to plan out what to do each day to make sure that you get as much done as you can before the day's over (At least for the first two games. I haven't played Pikmin 3 yet, though I plan to get around to it). 

WarioWare- This series is the very epitome of weird and whacky (in a good way). Hell, one YouTuber even described it (specifically the first WarioWare game on the GBA) as: "Nintendo's Fever Dream". If you ask me, the series' peak weirdness was with Smooth Moves on the Wii (It doesn't get better than those Zen Tutorials for the different styles I tell you), and while I think the newer games have kind of dialed down the weirdness, it's still a series that'll make you think: "What the hell am I playing?". The microgames are pretty fun in a short & sweet kind of way. I may not be playing them for long periods of time, but I still think they're very enjoyable once you get the hang of it. To think that Intelligent Systems (developer of Fire Emblem and Paper Mario) made such an odd series of games is rather intriguing to me.

Xenoblade Chronicles- If you like JRPGs, then I highly recommend that you give this series a chance. The entire trilogy is on the Nintendo Switch (The first XC game got a remaster recently in the form of XC: Definitive Edition), with the third game only coming out a few days ago (at the time I'm posting this). I personally am not particularly fond of the series' combat system, but it's still not all that bad and feel it works well for this series. The story's pretty good, too. You also get to explore the huge open world on a massive creature of sorts with enemies of various levels to fight (I kid you not, there are level 80 enemies- among the level 5 enemies-that will destroy your level 4-5-ish team if you try to take them on, so it's better to just avoid them entirely until you get strong enough to fight them). I think you should buy the first (or third) game and see how you feel about the series after playing it. At best, you've fallen in love with another Nintendo franchise. At worst, you'll be trading it in to GameStop sometime later. 

Never played Kid Icarus, Earthbound/Mother, F-Zero, Star Fox, or Dillon's Rolling Western, so I can't really form an opinion on those games at the moment. I just don't really harbor much of an interest in these games, which is why I haven't gotten around to playing them. Though I might give one or two of them a shot one of these days. 

Anyways, onto your question.

SpongeBob SquarePants + Thomas & Friends were the two shows I remember watching the most during my childhood years. Watched the first 3 seasons of SpongeBob religiously and still consider them the best era of the series to this day. I also really liked the first two movies (haven't watched the third), and I consider the 2004 SpongeBob movie to be "Peak SpongeBob". Seasons 4 and 5 of SpongeBob are also pretty good, though I would say that the series started to slowly go downhill after the first movie. Seasons 6-8 are my least favorite for reasons you've probably already seen on the internet. Most I'll say is that the series was really "dumbed-down" (for lack of a better word) around this time and most of the characters became a lot less likable than they were before. The last season of SpongeBob I watched was Season 10, which I didn't really like all that much due to the "bouncy" animation style it sported and the fact that I had simply grown out of SpongeBob at that point (but I'd still re-watch the older seasons to this day if the desire ever arose).

As for Thomas & Friends, I was hooked on the TV series ever since I watched the US dub of Season 1. Something about the series just captivated me. From the short & sweet episodes to the models and narration, everything was just so eye-catching to my younger self. Like SpongeBob, I had also watched this series rather religiously years ago. I didn't know it at the time, but apparently the TV series was based off of a Book series (known as the Railroad series) from the 1940's. Anyways, I had watched Thomas & Friends from Season 1 all the way to about Season 6 or 7 before taking a bit of a hiatus from watching the series (though I would still watch newer episodes from time to time) until the move: Hero of the Rails came out, sporting full CGI instead of Models for the very first time in the series. I loved HotR, despite not being too interested in the new CGI style that would be used in the series going forward. I watched a few episodes from the CGI seasons but it just didn't feel the same to me, so I gradually lost interest in Thomas & Friends (though I did watch one of the newer CGI movies at one point) and stopped watching episodes altogether. I recently happened across a playlist full of classic Thomas episodes from the "Classic Era" (Seasons 1-7) and I'm currently re-watching some of the old episodes at the moment (The nostalgia is coming back to me in spades). They're about as good as I remember, and I'm glad that I have a way to watch the older episodes. 

There were a few other shows that I also watched during my childhood, like Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents, and Danny Phantom among countless others, but this post would be going on for far longer than it already is (and SpongeBob and Thomas stuck out to me the most), so I'll cut it here. Now as for my next question...

What's your favorite third-party franchise (and why)?

It's pretty cool hearing about your in-depth opinions on various Nintendo IPs. I'm glad to see most of your opinions are optimistic and positive, with your negative opinions being tame and level-headed.

It's also really neat hearing about your history/opinions of your favourite TV series. Sadly, I haven't watched any of the shows you mentioned, but I have heard a fair amount about later Spongebob seasons not being as good.

Also, you don't have to worry about going that in-depth regarding your answers. I mean, if that's what you prefer to do, more power to you. I just don't want you feeling pressured to have to give thorough explanations, or thinking long answers are mandatory for this thread. I personally do enjoy hearing your in-depth explanations, though I don't want it coming at the expense of you taking time away from other responsibilites you have.

20 hours ago, CyberZord said:

What's your favorite third-party franchise (and why)?

It'd have to be either classic Final Fantasy (1 through 6) or Bomberman. Final Fantasy for the good mix of strategy, story, and gameplay that it has, and Bomberman for being a strong and fun mix of strategy and action, and for having great co-op gameplay and competitive multiplayer. I'm not so fond of Final Fantasy 7 and onward since they really overdo it with the length of the story cutscenes and how often they reuse the "broody, edgy protagonist" trope. That, and the use of plot points like false memories, memory loss, and dream worlds make the stories more confusing and convoluted than deep and interesting, at least to it does to me.

As for my question to you: what positive/negative traits do you keep an eye out for when it comes to making potential friends? For example, I tend to befriend calm, level-headed people who are considerate of others and have similar interests to me. But I tend to avoid people who push their opinions on others too strongly or are too sarcastic/not honest in what they say.

I have a bad habit of going on long tangents whenever there's a subject being discussed that I'm really interested in (Even if it's not related to the thread's topic). I like to go in detail, so I won't be stopping my (sometimes) essay-long discussions anytime soon. Thanks for the concern, though. I appreciate it. 

I've never played Final Fantasy and I've always favored Dragon Quest over it, so I can't really say much about it. The only Bomberman game I've played is Super Bomberman R, which I thought was pretty alright. Looking forward to playing Super Bomberman R 2 on Switch when it comes out. 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:30 PM, Randoman said:

As for my question to you: what positive/negative traits do you keep an eye out for when it comes to making potential friends? For example, I tend to befriend calm, level-headed people who are considerate of others and have similar interests to me. But I tend to avoid people who push their opinions on others too strongly or are too sarcastic/not honest in what they say.

I usually befriend outgoing, loyal and nice people as they tend to be fun to hang around with. Bonus points if we share some similar interests.

I generally avoid rude, overly vain, and petty people, on the other hand. Not people I like being around, to be honest.

Here's my question: What are your thoughts on the "Big 3" (Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft), the consoles they produce, and the games they allow/put on their systems?

Which Dragon Quest games have you played and beaten, and which one is your favourite? I've played and beaten 1 through 6, and 9. I think 3 is my favourite, since it's the one I've played the most (mainly due to the party/class system and how fun it feels to level grind class combinations that most people wouldn't have the patience to obtain).

20 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Here's my question: What are your thoughts on the "Big 3" (Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft), the consoles they produce, and the games they allow/put on their systems?

Heh, I'm way too biased towards Nintendo to be able to give a proper answer to that question. But I guess I'll try my best to give Sony and Microsoft a fair opinion.

Well, Nintendo is easily my #1 favourite gaming company. Their consoles being weaker in the graphics and online department isn't nearly as much of a dealbreaker to me as it is to other gamers, though I wouldn't complain if they improved in those areas. Nintendo's 1st party content is the main reason they're my favourite, especially with how colorful and imaginative their game worlds are compared to Sony's and Microsoft's. I really like how family friendly Nintendo's games are as well (I've gotten really tired and jaded towards things that try to be cool, edgy, and mature, so Nintendo's clean and family friendly approach to things is a breath of fresh air). I especially like how many different game genres they've got covered with their 1st party content: platformers, racing, RPGs, strategy, adventure, 3rd person shooters... you've practically got most game genres covered. I guess I should mention one clear negative for Nintendo to be unbiased: Joycon Drift... it's beyond frustrating, especially for Super Mario Maker level designing and playing Bomberman.

Sony, I guess I prefer more than Microsoft if I have to choose between the two. Regarding Sony consoles, I really don't find them all that interesting or innovative. Their power and online is nice, but Nintendo and Microsoft are definitely more innovative and contribute more new ideas to gaming as a whole (I'll get to Microsoft's contributions in their section). As for their exclusives and 1st party content, they do have a fair amount of family friendly franchises, which I appreciate. If only they carried the same magic and wide appeal Nintendo's 1st party content does. I mean, franchises like Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and LittleBigPlanet are pretty cool and all, but they don't have the same eye-catchiness and colorfulness as Nintendo IPs do. Even without my Nintendo bias, I still feel like franchises like Crash Bandicoot and Sonic do better in the eye-catchiness and wide appeal department than Sony's IPs. On a similar topic, I really don't like how Sony often pays 3rd parties to keep their games exclusive to their consoles. I mean, making 1st party games and keeping them exclusive to your console is one thing, but paying 3rd party companies to keep your games exclusive to your console feels much more selfish, manipulative, and petty. In particular, I was really wanting to play Street Fighter V on Nintendo consoles, but the deal Capcom had with Sony prevented that.

Microsoft, I feel like I don't know enough about to give an opinion on. In regards to their consoles, I at least give them credit for their game console/system innovations, like having save data be on the game console itself rather than a memory card. There's also innovations/additions like online memberships and achievements. I really didn't like where they were going with the XBox One, with online being mandatory and game lending not being doable, even if they did undo all those decisions before release. I've kind of developed skepticism towards Microsoft and the XBox brand ever since then, just knowing they're capable of almost carrying out policies as controlling/heavy-handed as that. As for their 1st parties/exclusives, I'm mainly only aware of Halo and that's about it. I feel like I should be more educated as a gamer, but I really can't think of any, aside from more minor 1st party IPs like Forza, Sea of Thieves, all of Rare's IPs that existed before Microsoft's buyout, and Blinx: Time Sweeper (I kind of wish Blinx became a full on game franchise, in the same vein as Mario and Crash Bandicoot. Also, I know Microsoft bought out Activision and Activision IP's can technically be classified as Microsoft IPs, but I'm not going to do that until we get some Activision IP games that are released after the merger.) I definitely think Microsoft is easily the worst of the 3 companies when it comes to family friendly IPs and IPs with eye-catchiness and wide appeal. Though to give Microsoft credit, they do have some 1st party titles that are of interest to me, mainly Killer Instinct (2013) and Battletoads (2019). (ironically, Killer Instint is only rated T and it's not as violent as the title implies.)

What's the best video game crossover game (or even series) that you've ever played (Not counting Smash Bros)? Mine's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Apparently Nintendo and Sega thought that putting two mascots -Who were once fierce rivals at one point- along with other characters from their respective series into the Real-Life Olympics was a good idea (and it absolutely was), resulting in 6 games filled to the brim with Olympic events both real and "fake" (Dream Events, basically), trivia to expand the ol' brain, and even a story to play through! If you ask me, it doesn't get better than Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING (in a single crossover game before or since M&S), beats London Party mode on the Wii. It's the peak of the crossover franchise imo. 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, Randoman said:

Which Dragon Quest games have you played and beaten, and which one is your favourite? I've played and beaten 1 through 6, and 9. I think 3 is my favourite, since it's the one I've played the most (mainly due to the party/class system and how fun it feels to level grind class combinations that most people wouldn't have the patience to obtain).

My apologies for taking an entire week to respond. I've been meaning to reply to your question for a good few days now, but procrastination, life, and other things got in the way of that. With that out of the way, onto my response. 

I've played and beaten Dragon Quests 1-3 (Incidentally the only trilogy of DQ games that are fully connected) thanks to the games being ported to the Switch. I've also played Dragon Quest 11 S since that game is also on the Switch, but I haven't beaten it just yet (Though I've gotten very far). DQ11 is easily my favorite of the ones I've played due to the story, cast, and world that are presented in the game. It also helps that the game is a lot more lenient on the player compared to the older entries. Besides, you can't go wrong with that iconic Akira Toriyama art style that is also used in Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super. I even called the hero of Dragon Quest 3 Goku for the lols for my playthrough of that game. 

On 1/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, Randoman said:

What are some interesting facts/quirks about you that your family/close friends would know about you, that online people wouldn't?

I frequently jumble my words up and engage in spoonerisms unintentionally; this doesn't often come through on forums or in text in general, though.

What languages do you speak, and are there any you want to learn?

What's the oldest video game console/era you can still get enjoyment out of playing? For example, I can still get enjoyment from playing the NES, playing games like the Super Mario Bros. trilogy, the first two Bomberman games, the first 3 Final Fantasy games, and the first 4 Dragon Quest games. Anything older than that, like the Atari 2600, I can't enjoy, and I find it too primitive and simplistic.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, CyberZord said:

What's the best video game crossover game (or even series) that you've ever played (Not counting Smash Bros)? Mine's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Apparently Nintendo and Sega thought that putting two mascots -Who were once fierce rivals at one point- along with other characters from their respective series into the Real-Life Olympics was a good idea (and it absolutely was), resulting in 6 games filled to the brim with Olympic events both real and "fake" (Dream Events, basically), trivia to expand the ol' brain, and even a story to play through! If you ask me, it doesn't get better than Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING (in a single crossover game before or since M&S), beats London Party mode on the Wii. It's the peak of the crossover franchise imo. 

My apologies for taking an entire week to respond. I've been meaning to reply to your question for a good few days now, but procrastination, life, and other things got in the way of that. With that out of the way, onto my response.

If it has to be a game that I've actually played, the only one that fits the bill is Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. I found it alright/average-ish. If it means anything, it's probably the game I put the most hours in on my PS3 (though with how seldomly I played on my PS3, that may not be saying much). The roster was decent and it did have some interesting ideas (such as the super move KO system, stages where 2 different game universes combine, and 3 types of regular attack buttons).

However, there were some pretty glaring flaws such as the blatant lack of character balance (*cough*Kratos*cough*), the super KO system being pretty flawed (particularly in how AP gets used up, whether or not your super actually KO anyone, and supers are the only way of getting a KO aside from the Medusa head item. That sometimes makes matches consist of trying to build up AP, wasting it on a missed super, and the cycle repeating. It gets especially bad if you're stocking up for a level 2 or 3 super, and the cycle still happens, which is very likely for characters like Sir Daniel), missing major Playstation mascots on the roster, even if they are technically 3rd party characters (Crash and Spyro), and the guest characters feeling more like advertisements than actual Playstation All Stars (like Revengeance Raiden being used over classic Raiden, DmC: Devil May Cry Dante being used over Dante from the original Devil May Cry trilogy, young Heihachi from the then-recent Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 over old man Heihachi which was used in practically every other Tekken entry. Even if classic Raiden and old man Heihachi were available costumes, it feels pretty dirty making the "flavor-of-the-month" versions of the characters as the primary versions of the characters when their classic versions are far more iconic and used more in their own series)

Overall, I felt Playstation All Stars Battle Royale was okay, but didn't really excel in any area. I think it could've been fixed with the inclusion of characters that people expected to be shoo-ins (notably Crash, who was literally listed in all the first page posts of the "which character do you want playable" section of Playstation All Stars back in the day), a more refined fighting system (whether it be a more refined super KO system, or a different system entirely), more characters and stages in the base game (as in, non-DLC characters and stages), and more game modes (in particular, an Adventure Mode would've done wonders for the game, especially if it was like the Subspace Emissary)

And don't worry about the late response. As I said before, I don't want your responses for this thread coming at the expense of compromising your real life responsibilities. Relaxation and recharging your batteries is a real life responsibility of sorts as well.

What's a video game franchise that you really like but most other people don't seem to really know about? Mine's definitely Yakuza (and by extent, Judgment). The first 6 main games in the series (and the prequel, 0) follow ex-Yakuza member Kazuma Kiryu as he gets pulled into multiple situations that always involve the Yakuza in some way. The first 6 games plus 0 are Beat-Em-Ups in nature with some open world exploration thrown in as well. There's also fun little minigames that can be played such as Bowling, Pool, Kart Racing, and more. Along with the main story are several substories (basically sidequests) that usually lighten the mood to counteract the main story's more serious nature. The 7th game went with a whole new cast since Yakuza 6 ended the Kiryu saga and (Yakuza 7, also known as Like a Dragon) changed the series from Beat-Em-Up to RPG. For those who really liked the Beat-Em-Up gameplay of Yakuza 0-6, Judgment + Lost Judgment continue with that formula that many, myself included, really liked. 

That's essentially my personal synopsis of the Yakuza franchise, produced by none other than Sega (Yeah, the same company that gives us Sonic games of varying quality) themselves. I recommend you check out the series for yourself because it seems like Benice and myself are the only 2 people on Serenes Forest who are huge fans of Yakuza and Judgment. In advance, I think you should know that Yakuza 0-6 are only English Sub while Yakuza 7 and both Judgment games are English dubbed (They also have Japanese audio as an option). It's not something that really matters in the grand scheme of things, but I do want to give you a little heads up before looking into the series if you're interested.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, Randoman said:

What's the oldest video game console/era you can still get enjoyment out of playing? For example, I can still get enjoyment from playing the NES, playing games like the Super Mario Bros. trilogy, the first two Bomberman games, the first 3 Final Fantasy games, and the first 4 Dragon Quest games. Anything older than that, like the Atari 2600, I can't enjoy, and I find it too primitive and simplistic.

For me, it's the Nintendo GameCube. Luigi's Mansion (GameCube), Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4-7, Metroid Prime 1 + 2, Paper Mario: TTYD, Pikmin 1 + 2, and Path of Radiance are my favorite games on the system. Plus, there's something charming about those miniature discs. The N64 is too blocky for my liking and my bias towards 3D games prevents me from enjoying most of the SNES and NES' library of games (with some exceptions). 

Do you happen to own Super Mario Maker 2 and do you have an account for that game? If you do have an account, what's your maker ID?

Maybe that's way too specific of a question to count for this thread (I'd still like an answer to that question though, since I'm always looking to make more Mario Maker friends). So I'll ask another one: what is your most favourite movie(s)? Mine is currently Shazam, for how amazingly funny it is, yet how surprisingly deep the story is and how there's a surprising amount of parallels between the main hero and the main villain.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:53 PM, CyberZord said:

What's a video game franchise that you really like but most other people don't seem to really know about?

Well, I think Bomberman is well known enough to not count. Hmm... Would Twinbee, Gradius, and Contra work? Twinbee is a pretty obscure vertical shoot-em-up (well, obscure by North America/Europe standards) that has a cutesy, fantasy aesthetic, with most of the games having co-op (hence, the "twin" in Twinbee's title). Gradius is a sidescrolling futuristic space shooter that has an interesting power-up meter mechanic. Contra is a platformer shooter where you play as soldiers with guns and stop aliens from invading the earth. All three of those game series are from Konami, and I think they're pretty obscure compared to their other IPs, particularly in this day and age.