Ask The Above Poster Something You Want To Learn About Them

Randoman

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Of the 2D platformers you've played, which is your favorite?

I...I actually haven't played any...

What is your favorite "so bad it's good" game?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Benice said:

I...I actually haven't played any...

If I may make a recommendation, for your first 2D platformer, play Super Mario World first. Then move to the oBjEcTiVe best platformer of all time, Yoshi's Island. Both are easily emulated.

Yoshi's Island in particular is amazing.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

What is your favorite "so bad it's good" game?

Sonic '06. Ngl, I don't think it's as bad as popular criticisms say.

----------

Same question for you.

If I may make a recommendation, for your first 2D platformer, play Super Mario World first. Then move to the oBjEcTiVe best platformer of all time, Yoshi's Island. Both are easily emulated.

Nice, I shall consider it!

Same question for you.

[Inhales]

Well, first one that comes to mind is Brave: A warrior's tale. It's...Well, it had passion, but no budget. At all. So many glitches, the visuals are Path of Radiance tier, the camera can get stuck in walls, strange combat...

For some reason, the voice acting in this game is superb, though. Like, maybe even better than Three Houses', and I like TH's voice acting.

But yeah, really buggy, really funny glitches, okay story...It's just really funny.

NiGHTS: Journey of dreams is another one I'd consider to be pretty bad. The biggest problem was that it was a lot like the flying sections from SMG, but there was no health system, just time, EVEN FOR BOSS FIGHTS. It controlled quite poorly, and basically every stage (sorta like galaxies from MG) of the game felt exactly the same, as they always had a "fly around on a track for five minutes then fight the boss" and so on and so forth-it rarely deviated from this.

I did enjoy both those games for how bad they were, though.

One that only sorta counts is Sonic and All-stars racing transformed. It is a very solid game, but glitches GALORE. For example, one of the maps will load as completely pitch black if there are three or more players on the screen, some walls you can literally just drive through, and other things like this. It is a really fun game, though.

I would recommend playing any of these games, actually!

What is your favorite archetype in FE?

How many times have you moved? If it's too personal a question, you don't have to answer. If you haven't moved, where would you like to move to?

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Since your member tag shows the Smash logo, what is your favorite Smash game?

Ultimate is probably too easy of a pick, so excluding that, I'd go with Brawl. That was my first Smash game, and it's where I learned about so many different video games, most notably Mother/Earthbound, and it's also where I picked up my first main, Ike.

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

ow many times have you moved? If it's too personal a question, you don't have to answer. If you haven't moved, where would you like to move to?

I think when I was about nine months old, we moved from Alberta to BC, and then when I was...Eight? We moved to another house in the same city. I'm very much a homebody.

What's your second-favorite FE?

11 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Favorite female video game character?

That's a good question... I think a good candidate would be Shanoa, from Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. Over the course of the game, she loses literally everything, up to and including her own memories and emotions, but that doesn't stop her from helping everyone she comes across and kicking all sorts of ass - including Dracula's ass over the span of just a few hours, despite not having a drop of Belmont blood in her veins. The D-man vastly underestimates her, and it's so satisfying to watch him go down afterwards.

Her design is actually quite tasteful, by Japan's standards. She does have her back exposed, but there's a good reason for this, as she uses the tattoos on her back to absorb and equip the glyphs that she uses to fight. It makes for some badass visuals. Also, her hair animations are a work of art. She does have combat high heels, which I always hate, but... Meh, the rest of her design is excellent, so I can forgive them.

Lastly, the fact that she's a playable female protagonist. That's always pretty rad.

Do you have a character that you love to hate?

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What's your childhood show, if any?

I grew up watching the classic Disney cartoons from the 90s, like DuckTales or Darkwing Duck. The latter in particular was a favorite of mine!
In general, my childhood was full of classic cartoon shows and movies, not just Disney.
Looney Tunes, really classic Disney stuff (one of the first cartoons I ever saw was the really old one where Donald, Mickey, and Goofy are forced to move out of their house), Pink Panther, the Tex Avery cartoons... oh, and the Asterix and Obelix cartoon movies, of course!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lastly, the fact that she's a playable female protagonist. That's always pretty rad.

Agreed!

---

Same question for you! What is your favorite childhood show, if any?

7 hours ago, Benice said:

What is your favorite archetype in FE?

Not exclusive to FE, but probably the tsundere archetype, when written well. For example, I think Severa is a great character because she's given a reason for why she acts the way she does instead of her just shouting "idiot" at people for no apparent reason. Or Felix as well, since the player is given a pretty thorough explanation as to why he's so abrasive and aloof.

--------

Favorite video game soundtrack (excluding Nights of Azure)?

Sorry if you've mentioned it before and I forgot.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Favorite video game soundtrack (excluding Nights of Azure)?

Sorry if you've mentioned it before and I forgot.

No problem!

My favorite video game soundtracks, aside from Nights of Azure, are, in no particular order:

• Bravely Default
  • Stella Glow
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII
  • Atelier Meruru
  • Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
  • Shining Resonance Refrain
  • Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
  • Atelier Sophie

How about yours?

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Same question for you! What is your favorite childhood show, if any?

Well, I never watched many cartoons as a child. Always was more of a videogame guy. Usually I just watched whatever was on TV when my parents forced me to get out of the computer (they were always worried I was "obsessed with videogames"). More often than not it was garbage like post-season 3 Spongebob. I remember the first time I watched the one scene where Squidward and Spongebob are trying to move a couch... You know the one. That was unpleasant.

There was one show, though. A french cartoon called Code Lyoko, 95 episodes long plus a two-parter prequel. It's about a group of middle schoolers who discover a supercomputer at an abandoned factory. Within it is a huge virtual world called Lyoko, in which lives a girl called Aelita. The heroes are attempting to bring Aelita to the real world while fighting off an evil sentient virus called X.A.N.A. that attacks them both in Lyoko and in the real world. That's the premise for season 1, anyway. It starts as a bit of a repetitive "monster of the week" kinda thing, but from season 2 onwards it gets way, way better.

I fell in love with this show. I remember pestering my mother to download me more episodes, because I couldn't be arsed to wait for TV to catch up. To this day, it's one of the few shows I've watched in their entirety. In fact, just a year ago I discovered it was officially uploaded to Youtube in its entirety, so I watched it again for the first time in like 10 years. It has its flaws (especially season 1 hasn't aged all that well, although it does have its good episodes), but I had an absolute blast. Felt like a kid again, remembering all my favorite moments.

Not sure if I'd recommend it. I mean, I love it, I think it's absolutely great, even with its flaws. But in this case I'll fully admit that I'm biased due to nostalgia. Usually I try to avoid that, but in Lyoko's case the nostalgia is just too strong.

Who's your favorite character from your least favorite FE?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

How about yours?

The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Trails in the Sky FC/SC

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Fire Emblem: Fates

Rune Factory 4 (tbh, most of the music isn't even that great, but I still enjoy it for some reason)

-----------

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Favorite video game soundtrack(s)?

I remember the first time I watched the one scene where Squidward and Spongebob are trying to move a couch... You know the one. That was unpleasant.

Oof, yeah... that episode was... not great, to say the least. *shudder*

Usually I try to avoid that, but in Lyoko's case the nostalgia is just too strong.

Happens!

Who's your favorite character from your least favorite FE?

That would have to be Mozu from Fates. I feel like she would have made for a wonderful protagonist for a story, maybe even THIS story (if it was conceptualized differently), and I find her to be very wholesome, and down-to-Earth overall.

Rune Factory 4 (tbh, most of the music isn't even that great, but I still enjoy it for some reason)

Confession: I love the music in that game. XP

---

What is your favorite moment in Fire Emblem?

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Confession: I love the music in that game. XP

216rpm.jpg

-------

I think Ch. 10 of Awakening. While I do have my issues with the story, I think Ch. 10's tone and interactions between the characters (Mustafa in particular) get the player emotionally invested. Mustafa isn't a villain. He's a noble guy who fights for his country. That kind of loyalty is respectable and I always felt a bit bad being forced to kill him.

Also, "Don't speak her name!" is one of the best FE songs in the series. Perfect for the atmosphere of the chapter. Tense, weighty, beautiful.

Same question to you.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do you have a character that you love to hate?

Rutger, Minas and Lysithea come to mind first. Minas because of *Shudders* The chapter 6 massacre, Rutger for being a one-note edgy swordlord who is ridiculously good, and Lysithea for being really mean but being a good unit who is incredibly popular. Seriously, my fighter Lysithea comes within three points of strength from OHKO'ing monsters!

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Asterix and Obelix cartoon movies, of course!

Man_Of_Culture.txt

Do you think remakes should be faithful?

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I think Ch. 10 of Awakening. While I do have my issues with the story, I think Ch. 10's tone and interactions between the characters (Mustafa in particular) get the player emotionally invested. Mustafa isn't a villain. He's a noble guy who fights for his country. That kind of loyalty is respectable and I always felt a bit bad being forced to kill him.

Also, "Don't speak her name!" is one of the best FE songs in the series. Perfect for the atmosphere of the chapter. Tense, weighty, beautiful.

Oh yeah, that chapter is also one of my personal favorites in Awakening. 👌

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Man_Of_Culture.txt

Nice! 🙂

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Same question to you.

I think it would have to be the moment when (THREE HOUSES SPOILERS!!!!)

Spoiler

Rhea reveals herself to be a dragon in the cutscene that leads into the timeskip (which you don't get to see in Crimson Flower for the obvious reasons). The entire buildup to the attack on Garreg Mach is one of my favorite moments in Three Houses (as is the map in and of itself), because of how tense and desperate it all feels, but this part of it definitely sticks out to me.
And, well, I just like dragons, so... yeah. XD

Have you ever been to a different country before?

Favorite video game soundtrack(s)?

You know what? Touhou. All of Touhou. Now, here's the thing - I've never played Touhou. The games look like a fun challenge, but I can't say the whole "magical lolis" side of it appeals to me. Even so, I spend half my time listening to Touhou music and covers. In fact, I'm doing so right now! I cannot speak for the man's skills as a gamemaker, but ZUN is a goddamned musical genius. I don't think I've found a single Touhou song for which my reaction was any less than "yeah this is good". It's all too awesome.

FE6 remake, yay or nay?

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE6 remake, yay or nay?

If they fixed some issues I had with the game (mostly ambush spawns, shaky hit rates, crappy units etc.), then I'm all for it.
Though... maybe they should also make efforts to make the, er, "inspiration" they took from FE3 Book 2 (remade as FE12, that's why I know this) less obvious.

How about you?

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

How about you?

I said my opinion on the matter as a response to a prior question I was asked. Here it is:

19 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE6, on the other hand, is a game that I quite love. I find that it has only two major flaws: story and polish. And, lo and behold, those are the two aspects Echoes was best at. I believe FE6, with its maps and roster combined with an improved story and removed clunkiness, could stand to become one of my favorite FEs. So, yeah. FE6 remake would be my ideal next FE.

Favorite character from your favorite FE?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Do you think remakes should be faithful?

That is largely dependent on how poorly the original game holds up, concerning gameplay changes. If we're talking FE4, for instance, then absolutely. There needs to be some pretty big changes, in my opinion, before the game can be truly enjoyable (and not an absolute bore) to play.

Story-wise, I'd say it also depends on the game. To use FE4 as an example again, the characters could really use some fleshing out to make them more interesting, although I'd say the overall narrative is pretty okay as is.

--------

What difficulty do you prefer to play FE on?

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Have you ever been to a different country before?

Only America. I've been to Alberta, British Columbia, Oregon, Washington and California. Ooh, and Florida, nearly forgot.

Favorite character from least favorite FE?

Sigurd. I always appreciate flawed characters, in Sigurd's case, his impulsiveness and naivete. I also appreciate how he has a tragic end, without some happy ending coming out of nowhere.

Have you ever watched anime?

I seem to recall watching the first season of Sailor Moon when I was in grade 4, but that's the only one.

Favorite book series?

Hm...That's a tough one. I guess overall, probably Tchaikovsky, but I also quite like Kalinnikov and Stenhammar, as well as Smetana.

In terms of modern bands, BNL is probably my no. 1.

How much to you want vulneraries to heal?